Should I Quit My Day Job?

shashanewallace

Thanks. I definitely will not quit my job teaching Spanish at high school. I do earn more on Fiverr though than I do teaching. Sometimes it feels like teaching is the second job. Sometimes it feels like teaching is the one getting in the way. I can’t wait for summer to write full time again.

I am in the same situation!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow great progress keep it up but remember dont just leave your based on one source make other sources also

because even if that client hired you for 6 projects each of $1000 and if he said he’s not satisfied or file a charge back all the money that you’ve earned will be lost in matter of seconds

yes you can take a week of from your job saying that you’re not feeling well and you can complete orders in that time but dont go on vacation mode it will downgrade your rankings

at last decision is your but please take all the suggestions of others first

Hope this helps 🙂

Why the decision to apply for a real job? I thought you were full time on Fiverr?

I just want to make more money. The gig economy isn’t perfect, even if you have many reviews, you’re not guaranteed many orders, or orders for a lot more money. I’m 42 turning 43 on May 4, that means my window of opportunity for success in another career is decreasing unless I act now. The property industry has a lot of people in their 40s, 50s, and 60s.

Usually, upon termination there could be a clause, stating the terminated employee agrees to vacate the property

That would be to scary for me, unless I was taking a job at another State or somewhere where the cost of rent is really high and getting free or subsidized housing would be a huge benefit.

Most of the jobs I’ve seen just require you to have a car. Florida is the drive everywhere State.

I am 44 years old next week? Why are you so worried about the age???

This is how life is supposed to workout

18-22 Go to college

22-30 Work your profession

30-40 Attain management level

40-50 Open your own company

50-60 Make a lot of money

60-65 Get ready to retire

65- ? Enjoy your retirement

My life was nothing like that, and time is running out.

18-22 Go to college

That schedule isn’t reality for lots of people. Many people work until they die of old age. My housekeeper is in her mid 60s. In your area of Florida the Japanese who used to tend huge tomato farms worked well into their 80s doing hard physical labor.

My point is that you cannot count on a steady course for your life that way since you never know what will happen.

Hi! I did quit my dayjob, though I have other income streams besides Fiverr. As my recent thread about orders drying up shown Fiverr is great, but unpredictable. One day you earn a few thousand, the other day they change something and you earn a few hundred, if any. So definitely keep the other income source, do not rely solely on Fiverr.

I was in your shoes some years back. It is true that a salary is stable but that is all that it is. What if you get fired? I left my job (in my country, it can be regarded as a good paying job) for my own “online business”. Started out as freelancing but I registered my business and employed people.

It was a very bold decision. It had its ups and downs but in the end, it paid off bigtime. If you are going to move to the next level, you have to learn to take risks. If it works out great; AWESOME!. If it doesn’t, try again.

I’m not saying you should depend 100% on Fiverr. Try and create an online presence and promote yourself and be the best you can be.

I didn’t realise how much more I could do until I left my job. I had time to think and strategize on how to achieve my goals.

18-22 Go to college

😱

Where did you found out that list? That list is worse than mine! :rofl:

I am at fiverr thinking about leaving my job and stay here. It would be perfect if my country would be quite. Now is a little quite. Every body is expecting what will be pass in next presidential elections…

Last year I took an English test at my job to win a place in a English course in Jamaica. They never say how was my score! Maybe was to slow! LOL

I am just wondering what’s about Jamaica? How is life there? What is a decent salary to live???

Happy Friday to all doers here!

Why the decision to apply for a real job? I thought you were full time on Fiverr?

I just want to make more money. The gig economy isn’t perfect, even if you have many reviews, you’re not guaranteed many orders, or orders for a lot more money. I’m 42 turning 43 on May 4, that means my window of opportunity for success in another career is decreasing unless I act now. The property industry has a lot of people in their 40s, 50s, and 60s.

Usually, upon termination there could be a clause, stating the terminated employee agrees to vacate the property

That would be to scary for me, unless I was taking a job at another State or somewhere where the cost of rent is really high and getting free or subsidized housing would be a huge benefit.

Most of the jobs I’ve seen just require you to have a car. Florida is the drive everywhere State.

I’m 42 turning 43 on May 4, that means my window of opportunity for success in another career is decreasing unless I act now.

Soon time for this?

Guest voiceoverphil

Some good advice on this thread.

I have been looking forward to a day when I quit my full time job for voice over, but I think that day is still ahead of me. What I’ll also say is that Fiverr is just a piece of that puzzle. At a certain point I’ll likely quit, but only when I have a part time job lined up and am making enough income in voice work to support 80% of my current income.

Someone mentioned that Fiverr income is unpredictable. I’ve been getting up at 4am to work 2-3 hours on Fiverr before going to my day job. This morning I woke up at 4. No orders. Went back to sleep. Glad to catch a little extra sleep, but I haven’t earned a dime. Mornings like this remind me that I’ve got a long way to go before freelancing online can give me the kind of steady income I am looking for. But at some point, I’ll have to risk it, or work a dead end job forever…

😱

Where did you found out that list? That list is worse than mine! :rofl:

I am at fiverr thinking about leaving my job and stay here. It would be perfect if my country would be quite. Now is a little quite. Every body is expecting what will be pass in next presidential elections…

Last year I took an English test at my job to win a place in a English course in Jamaica. They never say how was my score! Maybe was to slow! LOL

I am just wondering what’s about Jamaica? How is life there? What is a decent salary to live???

Happy Friday to all doers here!

This is the worst “list” I ever saw, “a 90-year human life in years, months, weeks”, visualized with squares. Frightening. However, it may just as well speak for quitting one´s day job as for not 🙃 :

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/life-weeks.html

I was in your shoes some years back. It is true that a salary is stable but that is all that it is. What if you get fired? I left my job (in my country, it can be regarded as a good paying job) for my own “online business”. Started out as freelancing but I registered my business and employed people.

It was a very bold decision. It had its ups and downs but in the end, it paid off bigtime. If you are going to move to the next level, you have to learn to take risks. If it works out great; AWESOME!. If it doesn’t, try again.

I’m not saying you should depend 100% on Fiverr. Try and create an online presence and promote yourself and be the best you can be.

I didn’t realise how much more I could do until I left my job. I had time to think and strategize on how to achieve my goals.

But at some point, I’ll have to risk it, or work a dead end job forever…

Like the old adage goes

“Life is all about taking risks. If you never take risks, then you’ll never know what you’re capable of.”

That schedule isn’t reality for lots of people. Many people work until they die of old age. My housekeeper is in her mid 60s. In your area of Florida the Japanese who used to tend huge tomato farms worked well into their 80s doing hard physical labor.

My point is that you cannot count on a steady course for your life that way since you never know what will happen.

I agree. But also from the other way around. Life isn’t about work. It’s about a whole lot of other things, and they are different for each person.

The traditional life where people go from monday to friday to work for a boss is going to end soon if it hasn’t ended already. I mean, Fiverr is the example. This didn’t exist 10 years ago.

It’s really interesting to see how the definition of ‘work’ will evolve.

Personally, I enjoy having a lot of flexibility currently in my life so I can enjoy my 1-year-old son a lot. If I would live in a ‘developed’ country where everything is so expensive, I would have been working my ass off every day only to see him a bit in the morning and in the weekend.

Now I live in a much less expensive country, I work much less and only the moments that I choose to, and I can see him growing up. Of course, life is different here and has it’s pro’s and con’s, but at least I’m working to live and not living to work.

BTW: no idea how our life will look 1 year from now and where we will live. And that’s the most exciting part of all.

Anyway just wanted to share that 🙂

Makes complete sense to me! I like how your thinkink about your future.

I agree. But also from the other way around. Life isn’t about work. It’s about a whole lot of other things, and they are different for each person.

The traditional life where people go from monday to friday to work for a boss is going to end soon if it hasn’t ended already. I mean, Fiverr is the example. This didn’t exist 10 years ago.

It’s really interesting to see how the definition of ‘work’ will evolve.

Personally, I enjoy having a lot of flexibility currently in my life so I can enjoy my 1-year-old son a lot. If I would live in a ‘developed’ country where everything is so expensive, I would have been working my ass off every day only to see him a bit in the morning and in the weekend.

Now I live in a much less expensive country, I work much less and only the moments that I choose to, and I can see him growing up. Of course, life is different here and has it’s pro’s and con’s, but at least I’m working to live and not living to work.

BTW: no idea how our life will look 1 year from now and where we will live. And that’s the most exciting part of all.

Anyway just wanted to share that 🙂

Now I live in a much less expensive country,

What country are you in. It all depends on lifestyle and life circumstances too. Was I to leave Education, for example, I would lose my student loan forgiveness opportunity for public service. I would lose my tremendous health benefits. Those are, to me, somewhat irreplaceable. Fiverr, and other creative entities I am involved in that help me make money as an aside to my full-time job are awesome! Living in the US, near DC, with student debt, no way Fiverr alone can sustain me.

Now I live in a much less expensive country,

What country are you in. It all depends on lifestyle and life circumstances too. Was I to leave Education, for example, I would lose my student loan forgiveness opportunity for public service. I would lose my tremendous health benefits. Those are, to me, somewhat irreplaceable. Fiverr, and other creative entities I am involved in that help me make money as an aside to my full-time job are awesome! Living in the US, near DC, with student debt, no way Fiverr alone can sustain me.

I would lose my student loan forgiveness opportunity for public service. I would lose my tremendous health benefits

Those are huge advantages for people who work in government, education, etc. You’re smart in taking it, a lot of people in the public sector think those of us in the private sector are making more money, but the reality is we’re the ones getting fired/laid off more often.

Government rarely fires anyone unless there are cutbacks. I heard the Navy was encouraging some people to retire because they have more admirals than ships for them.

I used to believe that, but it really depends on each individual. In a way, it’s like being a YouTube/Facebook star. For every Nas Daily, there are many unknowns not making a penny. Success on Fiverr may be easier than on other places, but even if you’re making $2,000 a month, it might not be enough.

That’s why the traditional life isn’t going away anytime soon. For example, Miami has a lot of immigrants from Venezuela, some opened restaurants that sell Venezuelan food, others became general contractors (construction), there’s a doctor who went to nursing school because it was easier than revalidating her MD, etc. These are traditional careers, ironically, the people stuck in Venezuela are either working on Fiverr or doing Bitcoin mining or both.

I would lose my student loan forgiveness opportunity for public service. I would lose my tremendous health benefits

Those are huge advantages for people who work in government, education, etc. You’re smart in taking it, a lot of people in the public sector think those of us in the private sector are making more money, but the reality is we’re the ones getting fired/laid off more often.

Government rarely fires anyone unless there are cutbacks. I heard the Navy was encouraging some people to retire because they have more admirals than ships for them.

I used to believe that, but it really depends on each individual. In a way, it’s like being a YouTube/Facebook star. For every Nas Daily, there are many unknowns not making a penny. Success on Fiverr may be easier than on other places, but even if you’re making $2,000 a month, it might not be enough.

That’s why the traditional life isn’t going away anytime soon. For example, Miami has a lot of immigrants from Venezuela, some opened restaurants that sell Venezuelan food, others became general contractors (construction), there’s a doctor who went to nursing school because it was easier than revalidating her MD, etc. These are traditional careers, ironically, the people stuck in Venezuela are either working on Fiverr or doing Bitcoin mining or both.

Completely agree, some jobs will neve change (not until the robot uprise at least ;-)). Jobs will be jobs. We still need doctors, chefs, drivers, nurses, teachers, and all these other professions which make the world go round.

I was more thinking about all these jobs involving ‘sitting at a desk with a computer and having meetings now and then’. No need at all to do this a specific amount of hours per week, it’s going to be more about output then time spend; like here in Fiverr.

Interesting you mention Venezuela, I’m living currently in Colombia (where BTW a 2000 USD salary gives you a very decent quality of life) and the situation here with Venezuela is visible on the street even. I have talked to many young, smart, well-educated people who are now selling coconut water on the street or wash the window of your car at a traffic light. And it’s indeed ironic that the ones who stay behind have to resort to more ‘modern’ ways of earning a living.

Anyway, the times they are a changin

Completely agree, some jobs will neve change (not until the robot uprise at least ;-)). Jobs will be jobs. We still need doctors, chefs, drivers, nurses, teachers, and all these other professions which make the world go round.

I was more thinking about all these jobs involving ‘sitting at a desk with a computer and having meetings now and then’. No need at all to do this a specific amount of hours per week, it’s going to be more about output then time spend; like here in Fiverr.

Interesting you mention Venezuela, I’m living currently in Colombia (where BTW a 2000 USD salary gives you a very decent quality of life) and the situation here with Venezuela is visible on the street even. I have talked to many young, smart, well-educated people who are now selling coconut water on the street or wash the window of your car at a traffic light. And it’s indeed ironic that the ones who stay behind have to resort to more ‘modern’ ways of earning a living.

It really is an interesting time. Fiverr aside, the way people work is completely different. So much is focused on the downside of things. But the fact that a Teacher such as me can do this and other things and still teach is so different from when my parents were teaching and their side hustle was summer camps and pyramid schemes. Or going back to school.

And the way tech is helping in the undeveloped work. I mean, look at Wakanda!

It really is an interesting time. Fiverr aside, the way people work is completely different. So much is focused on the downside of things. But the fact that a Teacher such as me can do this and other things and still teach is so different from when my parents were teaching and their side hustle was summer camps and pyramid schemes. Or going back to school.

550.jpg.f404f4bc0e9f4273b99c98cc4c6b10aa.jpg

Interesting you mention Venezuela, I’m living currently in Colombia (where BTW a 2000 USD salary gives you a very decent quality of life)

That’s my reality. Here in Jamaica, the cost of living is not high at all. As a teacher, I earn less than 1000USD per month and that’s a decent salary here.

I’m living currently in Colombia (where BTW a 2000 USD salary gives you a very decent quality of life) and the situation here with Venezuela is visible on the street even. I have talked to many young, smart, well-educated people who are now selling coconut water on the street or wash the window of your car at a traffic light.

I have many friends from Venezuela, some relatives as well. The rich were the first to leave, then the middle class, now the poor.

It is ironic because Venezuelans used to complain all the time about Colombian immigrants. You should have heard them back in the 80s/90s, “They commit all the crimes! They’re all poor! They’re taking our jobs!” Now it’s Colombian and Panamanians with the same complains about Venezuelans.

At least Fiverr doesn’t check visas and all that stuff, that’s something anyone can appreciate.

I earn less than 1000USD per month and that’s a decent salary here.

So how much is a rental in a middle class neighborhood in Jamaica? Can you rent something nice for $300? $400?

I’m living currently in Colombia (where BTW a 2000 USD salary gives you a very decent quality of life) and the situation here with Venezuela is visible on the street even. I have talked to many young, smart, well-educated people who are now selling coconut water on the street or wash the window of your car at a traffic light.

I have many friends from Venezuela, some relatives as well. The rich were the first to leave, then the middle class, now the poor.

It is ironic because Venezuelans used to complain all the time about Colombian immigrants. You should have heard them back in the 80s/90s, “They commit all the crimes! They’re all poor! They’re taking our jobs!” Now it’s Colombian and Panamanians with the same complains about Venezuelans.

At least Fiverr doesn’t check visas and all that stuff, that’s something anyone can appreciate.

I earn less than 1000USD per month and that’s a decent salary here.

So how much is a rental in a middle class neighborhood in Jamaica? Can you rent something nice for $300? $400?

Yes you can. Many people are buying lands and building their homes though. I don’t have to rent so that’s good.

Yes you can. Many people are buying lands and building their homes though. I don’t have to rent so that’s good.

I would love to visit Jamaica! I hear it is incredibly beautiful. We used to hear a lot about it being dangerous, and then there is the hurricane problems the Caribbean was

hit with last year. Hoping that was just a one year problem… 🤞

I would love to visit Jamaica! I hear it is incredibly beautiful. We used to hear a lot about it being dangerous, and then there is the hurricane problems the Caribbean was

hit with last year. Hoping that was just a one year problem… 🤞

I consider Jamaica to be blessed. There is a crime problem but it is usually reprisal killings. 90% of the crime that happen I would say is the same faction against each other. Rarely is someone just killed who hasn’t been involved in some “gang” related activity. You don’t usually find a gun man for example just shooting people for no reason. It’s usually reprisal related. Where I live for instance, there’s not been anyone in my lifetime who’s died by the hands of a gun.

The hurricanes that have hit Jamaica have been few. I can’t remember us suffering any loss of lives due to any of these hurricanes either. At 28 years old, I am still waiting to feel the effects of a really bad hurricane. We’ve had worst rainfall that does more damage than hurricanes have. The most severe hurricane we’ve had was 1988 I believe.

Archived