New scam attempt (sophisticated)

visualstudios

I also got 'targeted' (though nowhere near this badly) for a few days. I reactivated some gigs (figuring some details out with them) so that's likely why. 

It's nasty but for sellers who know the messages are fake, mostly harmless. Hopefully it'll stop sometime soon though. 

• Like 1
  • Up 1

I have received this first order and I don't know how to finish it further I clicked finish but it is asking for further card and I also attached the card but further is not being processed please check it and let me know. Please confirm my order but i also have not attached the bank account is that not a problem

Where there is a problem, the picture is also uploaded

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-17 at 4.03.55 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-17 at 4.04.06 PM.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alexmartinez663 said:

I keep receiving a message from a robot who always calls themselves "Alice" with a user name of id1810730289 and the numbers keep changing every hour. I've attached an image of what this looks like. I flagged it all as spam and I am wondering if anyone else is getting these messages as well? Or is my profile being targeted? 

Screenshot 2024-07-17 173851.png

I'm getting a lot of these too. Sometimes they claim I have an order for one of my gigs, and in order to see it I have to click on a link. They've definitely changed up their game.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, technicalsid493 said:

I have received this first order and I don't know how to finish it further I clicked finish but it is asking for further card and I also attached the card but further is not being processed please check it and let me know. Please confirm my order but i also have not attached the bank account is that not a problem

It's a scam. Ignore and report their messages.

You should contact your bank and let them know if you gave out your card information.

• Up 1

I get about 24 spam messages per day per the attached image. 

Can a Fiverr staff employee confirm that this will not affect my placement within the Fiverr catalog due to getting so many messages? 

I am concerned that the algorithm put in place to organize search results on Fiverr will reduce the visibility of my gig because it believes I am getting a lot of replies. 

Screenshot 2024-07-19 102607.png

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 3:39 AM, donnovan86 said:

Sure, Fiverr staff will delete that account, but they will just create another one.. It's imperative for users to know how to avoid this, so hopefully there will be a webinar soon on how to avoid scams.

Very much true. I think what fiverr has done to verify our identity to add “Profession” should be a compulsory thing to create and enter into fiverr marketplace. Only through that, such scammers can be avoided. 

1 hour ago, nikitakakade24 said:

I think what fiverr has done to verify our identity to add “Profession” should be a compulsory thing to create and enter into fiverr marketplace.

I am pretty sure you have to verify your identity when you add the payment method to withdraw money.

14 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

I am pretty sure you have to verify your identity when you add the payment method to withdraw money.

I didn't go through that verification when setting up payment method - just the phone number one probably (though maybe they've changed it now).

But that (adding more verification for sellers) won't solve this scam thing because it's the people joining who aren't sellers who are mostly doing this scamming.  Probably 99% of the QR code type scams are done by people who aren't sellers (so probably don't get any type of verification).

Edited by uk1000

14 hours ago, fiaz_beric said:

How many of these guys need to be reported?

Hi @fiaz_beric 

All of them. It is important to report them so that we can take the appropriate steps. I know you are busy working, so please feel free to send me a message with their usernames and/or their emails and I can report them. But it is really important to report them all and I cannot emphasize that enough. 

Thank you for your understanding. 

• Up 1

1 hour ago, uk1000 said:

I didn't go through that verification when setting up payment method - just the phone number one probably (though maybe they've changed it now).

That was a while ago. It would make sense for new accounts to be verified when they try to withdraw money. If they are not... that's certainly a mishap.

14 minutes ago, amgprophoto said:

Hi guys! Want to know if this is a scam. Please refer the following images.

Its an older scam where scammers seek your email ID to hack your fiverr account. 

And anyway - a seller cannot share email id with anyone on Fiverr for any reason. This might get your account flagged and even banned, 

Just say NO and tell its a violation of Fiverr TOS.

Received 5 scam attempts from same user in 2 hours

So I just published my new gig today. But then this scammer keeps messaging me to scan qr code like I’m a fool. They keep changing the username but the display names are the same. Is this what this platform has become? This is just very low and cheap way to scam and shouldn’t be on any platform. Fiverr please do something, this is just making me uncomfortable.

30 minutes ago, dafapati said:

So I just published my new gig today. But then this scammer keeps messaging me to scan qr code like I’m a fool. They keep changing the username but the display names are the same. Is this what this platform has become? This is just very low and cheap way to scam and shouldn’t be on any platform. Fiverr please do something, this is just making me uncomfortable.

😂😂 I got like 20+ messages of same scam guy asking me to scan the code. I keep on Reporting it as spam and it keeps showing up with a new different id.

3 hours ago, ahmad_freelancr said:

😂😂 I got like 20+ messages of same scam guy asking me to scan the code. I keep on Reporting it as spam and it keeps showing up with a new different id.

Yeah it is very concerning. I got additional 5 since i posted this. It’s shameless

They use some sort of BOT that i guess it is creating accounts and sending auto messages to sellers. Hope this gets fixed soon, it is getting out of control and from what i see here, new sellers fall for it and their bank details got stolen.