How would you react on buyer asking for work sample?

muztre

Has anyone asked their customers for their LinkedIn profile for proof of his true intent?

It’s against TOS to exchange any contact information with buyers/sellers or communicate outside the platform. Since LinkedIn is another platform that allow users to contact each other, I would not do that.

That’s exactly how I felt as I would end up spending 30 minutes of my time. I asked for $5 for my effort but he vanished as soon as I asked for his LinkedIn profile.

Most of the clients will vanish once you make a price for that. You would be surprised with the amount of custom samples requests that I receive each week. The question is very simple here: just for their first approach you can realise if their intentions are good or not. If a potential buyer is asking you a custom sample without even discuss a project with you, giving details or asking a quotation or about your skills and availability, that’s very suspicious.

OK- I would ask for the profile but when it comes to the gig, I would still ask the person to use fiverr to pay for the gig. I thought we were allowed to use LinkedIn to promote our gig via Fiverr.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK- I would ask for the profile but when it comes to the gig, I would still ask the person to use fiverr to pay for the gig. I thought we were allowed to use LinkedIn to promote our gig via Fiverr.

It doesn’t matter. It’s against Fiverr TOS. You can get a warning from Fiverr by doing that.

It doesn’t matter. It’s against Fiverr TOS. You can get a warning from Fiverr by doing that.

OK- will stop doing that.

I’ve done custom samples for video and always put a visible watermark on them. It depends how much work/time doing the samples needs. The last 2 converted to an order but I’ve had others that didn’t, including ones that took quite a lot of time I think which I’d probably not do now.

I am new to Fiverr and have yet to receive a gig. I was approached this morning asking for me to provide a sample of one or two rows of data.

I quoted a price of $5 for the sample as it would take at least 30 minutes to compile the information but he insisted that I should do the work for free.

I asked him to provide me with his LinkedIn profile for proof that he was serious about the project offer. He vanished.

Did I ask too much money for the task?

te7037

I asked him to provide me with his LinkedIn profile for proof that he was serious about the project offer

Very unprofessional of you and this doesn’t prove anything.

And the buyer vanished because he wanted to scam you. You should have said no when he asked you for a free “sample.”

I think I did it right by asking for his LinkedIn profile which has basically exposed him.

I will report this person to Fiverr so that this scammer will be removed from this site.

I will report this person to Fiverr so that this scammer will be removed from this site.

That is not going to go the way you think …

You will be much more likely to receive a warning than the buyer.

That is not going to go the way you think …

You will be much more likely to receive a warning than the buyer.

To be honest, I don’t mind receiving a warning after this bad experience. I have a day job so my life is not dependent on this gig to survive on.

Exactly I want to know :thinking:

Here is the response from Fiverr.com and one thing for sure: I didn’t receive a warning as I explained the situation.

'Hello (te7037),

Jxxxx here, and I will be glad to elaborate on your inquiry regarding asking users for their LinkedIn profile. I can see how this situation might be concerning.

*To clarify, requesting any contact information (such as phone numbers, emails, ■■■■■, etc.) or profile information for social networks that can be used to communicate outside of Fiverr is not permitted on our platform. *

Seeing as LinkedIn has a messaging feature and can be used to communicate with other users, asking another user for their LinkedIn profile may be interpreted as asking for contact information. In the future, please refrain from such actions, as they are not in accordance with our platform’s rules and guidelines.

I hope this cleared up any dilemmas you might’ve had. If you have any further questions or issues, feel free to contact me.’

If any buyer is asking for a sample of your work then there’s no problem in sending them a reference or sample of your work . It’s always good to know and in order to have a glimpse of the expertise and skills set there’s no issue in getting a portfolio or sample work.

The best course of action is to add a copy of our work on our profile. This way, potential buyers will not ask for sample anymore.

But, the recent experience I had was an attempted scam. I suspect the scammers aim those new sellers on fiverr.

M

The best course of action is to add a copy of our work on our profile. This way, potential buyers will not ask for sample anymore.

But, the recent experience I had was an attempted scam. I suspect the scammers aim those new sellers on fiverr.

M

I heard stories like this couple of times in the forum. :roll_eyes:

It happened to me this morning. It was for T-shirt designs. What I did was to put some of my works in a single photo and I put my signature on to avoid any copyright or any other usage. I don’t think there’s anything bad in showing samples of your work.

Good tip! Are you a new freelancer?

Yes, I am! 🙂

It’s now confirmed that the scammers are trying to scam new freelancers. My case was I was asked to spy on his competitor. He said he would give me a follow up project but disappeared as soon as I challenged him to prove if his request was legit.

Archived