Should I do this with buyers?

spythonian

If you keep sending this message repeatedly without any response then sure you are crossing the limit and can now be considered a spammer.

You can read through my post again. I did not at any point say keep contacting them forever. Send the reminder one time and if they do not reply MOVE ON!

What if they are annoyed to hear from you and complain?

All they have to do is use the little “report” button.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have given a clear description on how I will handle the situation. We all can’t run our business the same way. If you chose not to contact the buyer again. Great! Its your business. If I chose to contact one last time. Absolutely Great too!

But to make it seem me contacting the buyer is against TOS or is spamming is the misconception I stand against. And I stand to be corrected only by support.

In the business world it would’ve been fine to reach out to a client who contacted you (though it still might be annoying. Eg I’m always trying to avoid people who’s chasing me to give them work. Never a good sign)

But on fiverr this considered as spam and takes only one annoyed person to report this kind of message for you to get a warning.

Also, I don’t think anyone’s arguing the definition of what spam is considered to be. It is well-known that fiverr has very restrictive policies when it comes to communication. The general definition of spam doesn’t apply here.

According to them, they want the buyer “to interact with the gig, not with the seller”.

It’s risky and honestly, it kind of looks desperate a bit so I wouldn’t engage in this kind of behavior.

Also, I don’t think anyone’s arguing the definition of what spam is considered to be. It is well-known that fiverr has very restrictive policies when it comes to communication. The general definition of spam doesn’t apply here.

According to them, they want the buyer “to interact with the gig, not with the seller”.

It’s risky and honestly, it kind of looks desperate a bit so I wouldn’t engage in this kind of behavior.

If they did have a feeling they might hire you, that would kill it for them to have you messaging them asking if they were interested or in any way trying to weasel a sale out of them. It’s creepy to have a seller do that. They are thinking “how do I get rid of this guy? Why won’t he leave me alone?”

I have given a clear description on how I will handle the situation.

True, but what I really asked was how often, on average, you do it. 😛

Please do not get me wrong. I do not send a reminder to everyone that contacts me. I am speaking concerning a situation in which the prospective buyer has asked for some time to get things together.

There is no way any sane (and I repeat any SANE) buyer will go ahead and report me for spam simply because I sent them a reminder about a conversation we have had before.

I have being on this platform long enough to know the rules and when you are crossing the line. Never have I had a warning or a strike. Advice is free, whatever you do with it is your choice.

Please do not get me wrong. I do not send a reminder to everyone that contacts me. I am speaking concerning a situation in which the prospective buyer has asked for some time to get things together.

There is no way any sane (and I repeat any SANE) buyer will go ahead and report me for spam simply because I sent them a reminder about a conversation we have had before.

I have being on this platform long enough to know the rules and when you are crossing the line. Never have I had a warning or a strike. Advice is free, whatever you do with it is your choice.

Thanks for the tips, you got me right. 👍

This is exactly the situation I was talking about. We’ve had a successful communication and everything went well which I was told that for example; “give me till Monday, I would have finished compiling the document to be typed by then”. Monday passed till Thursday, the buyer is not online since the last hour of our conversation.

Since you’ve suggested sending A reminder message (not continuous messages like spamming) to them is ok, I will do that for the first and last time. Hopefully they will receive message from Fiverr in their email which I think it will serve as a reminder.

Thanks.

i think, No need to remind. if they are interested they will contact you.
you are not a reminder. their works will remind them to hire someone.
If you are working with a buyer for a long time and discussing about works, new projects, sharing ideas in regular intervals then you can remind them.

you must have an professional attitude. do not show them that you have no work to do. if they need you they will contact you. try to focus on buyer request to get new order instead of waiting their reply. but still if you want to talk them you can try.

I have some buyers that promised to get back to me in few days after they’ve compiled the necessary documents for the job. Unfortunately, they don’t message me and they’re not online since our first conversation.

MY QUESTION IS THIS; Is it proper to remind a client about the work s/he promised to give you after a successful conversation?

Is it proper to remind a client about the work s/he promised to give you after a successful conversation?

No. It’s not proper and it could be reported as spam. If they want your services again they will hire you when they need. Keep pushing buyers to order from you will actually push them away.

How would you know if they wanted to hire you but got caught up with a lot of other things?

You will know when they will reach you with the job they want to be done. You will risk to lose your client by perturbing them.

For sellers, it’s easy to stay connected and promptly to answer questions at fiverr, but for clients, sometimes they can’t just get access to fiverr, due their different kind of business, and it may annoy them.

It is simple, if the buyer has some work to be done, they will contact you. If not, work won’t just appear because you contacted them.

People can deal with their clients how they want, but it has consequences.

Think like this: You are passing in front of a store you usually buy products, and then you are passing again but you don’t need, or you are not interested in buy something this time, but suddenly a seller of this store stops you and start to gently insist to order some product. Would you like this situation? In my case, I would stop buying in that store.

It is good to keep a good relationship with your buyer, BUT first of everything, you MUST be professional. So if someone needs your service again, they will contact you again. If they are not doing this, keep in mind there is a reason for this. And keep pushing, wont be good, for sure.

Guest netartica

Can you pore water in to glass from an empty jug? same as well, if they open a job and they trust on your skills, they will surely contact with you. so be patience.

I don’t know fiverr allows us for passing updates to existing clients. I am not talking about spamming. I am talking about some promotional advertisement. for example “with this gig that gig free or 50% discount” etc… just for the ice breaking? as we all knows there are so many terms in the market for cold calling, prospecting, lead generations etc…

How would you know if they wanted to hire you but got caught up with a lot of other things?

If after sending the first and second reminder and there is no response, then it is clear they never wanted the service or perhaps found someone else. At this point, you can gladly move on knowing you have done your best in trying to convert a potential client.

You don’t know, and that’s the problem.

Maybe they forgot, and would be grateful if you messaged them; and maybe they didn’t want to message you again, they changed their mind or something.

Either way, you don’t know what’s the cause, and if you happen to message someone who doesn’t want to receive that message (even though it’s polite and professional and perfectly reasonable), and that person reports you, you can get your messaging disabled, and an account warning, as well.

That’s why I wouldn’t advise anyone in the situation that the OP described to send a reminder. Not on Fiverr, where just one message can get you in trouble. It’s too risky.

You don’t know, and that’s the problem.

Maybe they forgot, and would be grateful if you messaged them; and maybe they didn’t want to message you again, they changed their mind or something.

Either way, you don’t know what’s the cause, and if you happen to message someone who doesn’t want to receive that message (even though it’s polite and professional and perfectly reasonable), and that person reports you, you can get your messaging disabled, and an account warning, as well.

That’s why I wouldn’t advise anyone in the situation that the OP described to send a reminder. Not on Fiverr, where just one message can get you in trouble. It’s too risky.

Now we have gone from spam to risky.

Seriously guys, I have nothing more to say on this issue. I have said what I would do if I was the one in a similar situation. It isn’t compulsory you have to agree with me. We can not all sleep and lie in the same direction.

It is right that we nudge a buyer who made a purchase but didn’t provide requirements but we can not send a message to a buyer who initiated conversation with us.

I have asked before and no one seem to answer it. So I will ask again. Point me to a place in the TOS that says I can not send a message to a buyer that initiated conversation with me. If you can not do this then your opinion is a personal one same as mine. I am not obligated to accept it just as you aren’t obligated to accept mine.

Seriously guys, I have nothing more to say on this issue. I have said what I would do if I was the one in a similar situation. It isn’t compulsory you have to agree with me. We can not all sleep and lie in the same direction.

It is right that we nudge a buyer who made a purchase but didn’t provide requirements but we can not send a message to a buyer who initiated conversation with us.

I have asked before and no one seem to answer it. So I will ask again. Point me to a place in the TOS that says I can not send a message to a buyer that initiated conversation with me. If you can not do this then your opinion is a personal one same as mine. I am not obligated to accept it just as you aren’t obligated to accept mine.

Point me to a place in the TOS that says I can not send a message to a buyer that initiated conversation with me.

You’ve had some sellers who have been around here a long time give you correct answers that this is spam and you refuse to accept that. Instead you have argued. I really don’t understand this mindset.

You have argued that they just forgot. It is too aggressive and annoying to people to message them asking if they are interested in buying your service. Of course they didn’t forget. You know that. Reign in the aggression. What you are really doing is punishing them for not buying from you. They will be glad they chose not to buy from you.

Point me to a place in the TOS that says I can not send a message to a buyer that initiated conversation with me.

You’ve had some sellers who have been around here a long time give you correct answers that this is spam and you refuse to accept that. Instead you have argued. I really don’t understand this mindset.

You have argued that they just forgot. It is too aggressive and annoying to people to message them asking if they are interested in buying your service. Of course they didn’t forget. You know that. Reign in the aggression. What you are really doing is punishing them for not buying from you. They will be glad they chose not to buy from you.

I asked for Fiverr TOS and I got @misscrystal TOS 😆

Please spare me I beg you. What do you think? That I started selling on Fiverr yesterday.

But seriously, I have had enough, YOU are Right. I am WRONG!

Case closed. Hope all is good now.:crazy_face:

You absolutely don’t understand what spamming is. The conversation was initiated by the buyer concerning my business. We had a conversation and according to the first post, they required sometime to get things together.

There is nothing wrong in sending a simple message after about some days saying:

Hello username,

Concerning our last conversation, were you able to get bla bla bla.

If there is anything I can help with, please let me know.

I do not see how any sane business person would consider this spamming. If after sending this message and you do not get a reply, Move on. If you keep sending this message repeatedly without any response then sure you are crossing the limit and can now be considered a spammer.

I do not see how any sane business person would consider this spamming.

I don’t think anyone has touched on this: what if the person you’re dealing with is not sane? What if your buyer has an unreasonably short fuse?

Do you understand that all it takes for Fiverr to consider your message spam and issue a ToS warning is ONE SINGLE report from your buyer? Obviously, Fiverr will have a look at your message to make sure that it is indeed spam. When they do that, they will most probably classify your message as spam. You don’t need to have sent thousands of messages for it to be considered spam. According to Fiverr, even a single unsolicited message can be considered “spam.”

You might ask for proof - perhaps a clause in the ToS to prove that’s the case. Truth be told, there might not be any specific mention that sellers will be issued a warning as soon as a buyer marks one of their messages as spam. However, we know this to be the case because of what we have deduced/understood from several posts on the forum where sellers had complained that they got an “unfair warning” from Fiverr for sending just one follow-up message (“just in case the buyer forgot”).

One other thing you need to understand is that we have no reason whatsoever, tbh, to write so many messages on this thread. The ONLY reason why several forum users from the community decided to reply to your posts and try to make you understand the seriousness of the issue is because they all care for you and the safety of your Fiverr account. For all they cared, they could have just said “good luck with your Fiverr journey” and just left it at that. But did they? Nope. Why? Cuz they care.

Pretty much the same thing on Fiverr. Just one unwanted message is counted as spam on Fiverr, and you can’t be certain how the buyer will react. As @hanshuber16 said, there were sellers on the forum complaining that they got a warning and/or their messaging disabled after sending one message.

I am not obligated to accept it just as you aren’t obligated to accept mine.

I’m not saying that you’re obliged to accept it. If your method works for you, great! I wish you the best of luck with it! However, I’m against advising others, like the OP, to do what you’re doing, because they could get in trouble.

I believe that the problem here is that you didn’t say “hey, this is what I do, and so far, it worked for me”. You said

Yes, you can. You have had conversations with them before and there is absolutely nothing wrong in reaching out to them again. Reminders don’t hurt nobody.

and if the OP takes your words as the absolute truth and the buyer turns out to be of the nervous kind, the OP could have problems with his account.

I do not see how any sane business person would consider this spamming.

I don’t think anyone has touched on this: what if the person you’re dealing with is not sane? What if your buyer has an unreasonably short fuse?

Do you understand that all it takes for Fiverr to consider your message spam and issue a ToS warning is ONE SINGLE report from your buyer? Obviously, Fiverr will have a look at your message to make sure that it is indeed spam. When they do that, they will most probably classify your message as spam. You don’t need to have sent thousands of messages for it to be considered spam. According to Fiverr, even a single unsolicited message can be considered “spam.”

You might ask for proof - perhaps a clause in the ToS to prove that’s the case. Truth be told, there might not be any specific mention that sellers will be issued a warning as soon as a buyer marks one of their messages as spam. However, we know this to be the case because of what we have deduced/understood from several posts on the forum where sellers had complained that they got an “unfair warning” from Fiverr for sending just one follow-up message (“just in case the buyer forgot”).

One other thing you need to understand is that we have no reason whatsoever, tbh, to write so many messages on this thread. The ONLY reason why several forum users from the community decided to reply to your posts and try to make you understand the seriousness of the issue is because they all care for you and the safety of your Fiverr account. For all they cared, they could have just said “good luck with your Fiverr journey” and just left it at that. But did they? Nope. Why? Cuz they care.

The ONLY reason why several forum users from the community decided to reply to your posts and try to make you understand the seriousness of the issue is because they all care for you and the safety of your Fiverr account. For all they cared, they could have just said “good luck with your Fiverr journey” and just left it at that. But did they? Nope. Why? Cuz they care.

Thanks for your care. I appreciate it. 7 years on this site and not one person have told me they cared. I am really touched. Thank you 🙏. I believe this care will really be important for me. It will send me traffic, give me orders, block me from strikes and warnings, even make me TRS. Again, I thank you so much.I don’t think I can survive my remaining days here on Fiverr without it.

and if the OP takes your words as the absolute truth and the buyer turns out to be of the nervous kind, the OP could have problems with his account.

OP, the world isn’t as simple as we might think it. Some buyers get offended easily. They could go all crazy simply because you only sent them a message concerning a conversation you have had before. Please do not do it. Your account can get suspended, you can get banned, you can get thrown out of Fiverr and all this simply because I asked you too. I will hate for that to happen. And am serious about that. There are many insane buyers out there and while I am not implying the one you had a conversation with is insane, other experienced sellers here have made me realize what are the chances he is not? So please do NOT do it. No reminders. They can hurt people.

Thank you all again. I hope all is well now.

Yes, you can. You have had conversations with them before and there is absolutely nothing wrong in reaching out to them again. Reminders don’t hurt nobody.

I sent JUST one reminder [for the first and last time] to my buyers that promised to get back to me [i think buyers], 2 ordered my gigs and apologized they’ve forgotten, 5 responded that;

1. I’ll get back to you tomorrow, as travelling yesterday and today.
  2. Thank you. Will try to get you soon
  3. Oops… I have forgotten this platform
  4. Sorry, I later abandoned the work
  5. Hi, thanks for the reminder. I have been transferred to another department at my place of work, that job has been given to the guy that replaced my previous position. You’re in my first list as soon as I need a VA. Thanks

MY OPINION: Reminder is not bad inasmuch you’re not spamming with constant reminder. One reminder is OK

Thanks bro

I sent JUST one reminder [for the first and last time] to my buyers that promised to get back to me [i think buyers], 2 ordered my gigs and apologized they’ve forgotten, 5 responded that;

1. I’ll get back to you tomorrow, as travelling yesterday and today.
  2. Thank you. Will try to get you soon
  3. Oops… I have forgotten this platform
  4. Sorry, I later abandoned the work
  5. Hi, thanks for the reminder. I have been transferred to another department at my place of work, that job has been given to the guy that replaced my previous position. You’re in my first list as soon as I need a VA. Thanks

MY OPINION: Reminder is not bad inasmuch you’re not spamming with constant reminder. One reminder is OK

Thanks bro

So just ignore everything that was said as you have done and keep doing what you have been doing then. Why continue the conversation at all?

Hopefully no one ever complains.

Archived