About block the seller

logotodaydesign

Extremely idealistic.

We work online, and as long as there are manipulative scammers who know how to take advantage of a system EASILY taken advantage of, it’s not that easy.

If there were no such thing as paypal charge backs, and we were able to address scammers who steal our work ourselves - like we can OFFLINE, it would be a different story.

I think most successful sellers are savvy enough to discern who’s who -

I always know when someone is going to be a potential issue.

You can be scammed offline. I know someone who’s a resume writer, in the past she used to charge upon completion of the work, but she had a client who didn’t like her work so he refused to pay. Now she charges before she works. I don’t know if her clients are using PayPal or checks, cash, credit cards, but they no longer get their money back.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can be scammed offline. I know someone who’s a resume writer, in the past she used to charge upon completion of the work, but she had a client who didn’t like her work so he refused to pay. Now she charges before she works. I don’t know if her clients are using PayPal or checks, cash, credit cards, but they no longer get their money back.

That sucks! Oh I know, for sure! I’m saying the difference is that in the event we are scammed offline, WE can take the appropriate actions to try and recover money for work we have completed… on here, we don’t have that power.

I have blocked buyers for similar reasons - if the vibe was off but - mostly however, because they did not read a gig description … and once informed of what the gig entails (suggesting next time they read gig descriptions thoroughly so they know exactly what they are buying) - being met with a simple “Okay I’ll just get a refund” – (effecting my analytics s badly.)

Pfffffffffffft!! “Just get a refund”/cancel??!! Do you realize how terribly this effects us sellers? 👀

NOTE TO BUYERS: PLEASE READ GIG DESCRIPTIONS AND FAQs THOROUGHLY BEFORE YOU PRESS BUY TO BE SURE YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO EXPECT

Thanks in advance :+1:t4:

I’d rather not work with people who are careless that way - I want people who order my gig to understand exactly what they ordered.

I am still not understanding why fiverr is holding on to making the seller responsible for things out of their control - such as cancellations like this.

When I ask for help cancelling - because the buyer hasn’t submitted requirements etc - it’s always the same response - “WE know it’s unfair, and not your fault but your analytics will be affected badly… that’s just how it is…” - in a nutshell…

It’s entirely frustrating. But that’s a whole other topic.

I like your policy for blocking. “Just a refund” – the nerve. Makes you wonder how some people sleep at night.

I’ve never blocked a buyer and haven’t felt the need to, fortunately. Because much of my work on Fiverr is strategic, it doesn’t really attract people who are that sketchy. I usually only get work from legitimate businesses who would have a lot to lose if they went around scamming and blackmailing people.

I like your policy for blocking. “Just a refund” – the nerve. Makes you wonder how some people sleep at night.

I’ve never blocked a buyer and haven’t felt the need to, fortunately. Because much of my work on Fiverr is strategic, it doesn’t really attract people who are that sketchy. I usually only get work from legitimate businesses who would have a lot to lose if they went around scamming and blackmailing people.

That’s awesome! Not so much with my adverting gigs - particularly music ones. They simply don’t read or choose to ignore - the gig description, order services I don’t provide, then flippantly ask for a refund.

I am going on a two week vacation in 3 days, and had to shut down my gig early, because I had two such orders, and can’t afford to go down much more on my completions %. - which are ALL a result of buyers NOT READING/IGNORING my gig description. Super annoying because I am ultimately losing money as a result of something that is not my fault - but can affect me terribly.

So my options are - lose some money this month with my extended vacay OR drop down a level - as a result of careless irresponsible buyers…and lose a whole lot more money…

I remain super confused as to why sellers are still being punished for this particular issue, that fiverr knows and acknowledges can’t be helped and is not the sellers fault.

It’s been months now.

😑

The other problem is that buyers really don’t know how badly cancellations affect sellers and thinks cancelling should be no issue at all, particularity if they ordered by mistake or over looked something in the gig description…

That’s awesome! Not so much with my adverting gigs - particularly music ones. They simply don’t read or choose to ignore - the gig description, order services I don’t provide, then flippantly ask for a refund.

I am going on a two week vacation in 3 days, and had to shut down my gig early, because I had two such orders, and can’t afford to go down much more on my completions %. - which are ALL a result of buyers NOT READING/IGNORING my gig description. Super annoying because I am ultimately losing money as a result of something that is not my fault - but can affect me terribly.

So my options are - lose some money this month with my extended vacay OR drop down a level - as a result of careless irresponsible buyers…and lose a whole lot more money…

I remain super confused as to why sellers are still being punished for this particular issue, that fiverr knows and acknowledges can’t be helped and is not the sellers fault.

It’s been months now.

😑

The other problem is that buyers really don’t know how badly cancellations affect sellers and thinks cancelling should be no issue at all, particularity if they ordered by mistake or over looked something in the gig description…

I know, it’s so frustrating.

And how true that advertising attracts those types. Everyone, regardless of their professionalism or skills, has some understanding that you need to be seen to get sales, but you generally need some business literacy to understand organic marketing, community engagement and branding.

Another thing I’ve noticed that is more likely to attract scammers is a tangible, concrete delivery. When you order an image, your delivery is an image. Even the shadiest, least educated sellers understand this. But something abstract like a communication plan is difficult to understand unless you’re educated in business, so you’re probably not going to use terms that would bring it up in search results.

The one thing I have noticed from the odd sketchy buyer I have received for a strategy-related order is that they tend to measure the value of the delivery by how many pages it is.

100 % !! I jumped all my gig prices, and it’s still the ones who purchase my cheapest packages that expect the most… 👀

They expect the most, fastest, expect all the extras although they paid for none, ask the most questions, make themselves a pest, don’t leave a review, etc.

I’m wondering how much I can raise prices again to not have to deal with this.

They expect the most, fastest, expect all the extras although they paid for none, ask the most questions, make themselves a pest, don’t leave a review, etc.

I’m wondering how much I can raise prices again to not have to deal with this.

It would be interesting to know what price is a deterrent for those buyers and why. I’m sort of guessing with mine. I know it’s at a $30 price or higher, maybe lower. It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s lower. People are pretty… frugal. Haha.

I actually raised my prices of two tiers for one of my gig specifically to in part to deflect sketchy buyers, who all had the characteristics you mentioned. It worked! I don’t get those buyers anymore. I have lost some sales, but only the amount that were sketchy, really. I have a higher percentage of business savvy, ethical buyers there now.

It would be interesting to know what price is a deterrent for those buyers and why. I’m sort of guessing with mine. I know it’s at a $30 price or higher, maybe lower. It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s lower. People are pretty… frugal. Haha.

I actually raised my prices of two tiers for one of my gig specifically to in part to deflect sketchy buyers, who all had the characteristics you mentioned. It worked! I don’t get those buyers anymore. I have lost some sales, but only the amount that were sketchy, really. I have a higher percentage of business savvy, ethical buyers there now.

After they pay the lowest price some actually tell me they want it done fast, the best I can do it. Don’t they see the extras or understand what those are for? Or do they think by pressuring me or making demands they will get more out of me?

I will continue to raise my prices for this reason alone.

I still get them ordering the cheapest of the packages I offer… ! My lowest gig prices in $10 - that’s soon changing!

After they pay the lowest price some actually tell me they want it done fast, the best I can do it. Don’t they see the extras or understand what those are for? Or do they think by pressuring me or making demands they will get more out of me?

I will continue to raise my prices for this reason alone.

Well you’re their servant, you know? And you should just feel honored to get a sale with them. I hope you at least curtseyed and said, “Would that be all, m’lord?” (sarcasm)

I had that kind of buyer a couple of weeks ago, only fortunately they were pitching their demands and seeing if I would be interested. She said she was interested in the $25 package and I needed to include this and this and this (all extra work, of course) and I gently but bluntly reminded her that the way it works is you purchase a package and then you get what is included in that package. She said she understood and thanked me for my time.

I think a lot of people honestly don’t have any idea how arrogant and entitled and condescending they are unless they see the facts in front of them – and even then it’s a hit or miss.

I still get them ordering the cheapest of the packages I offer… ! My lowest gig prices in $10 - that’s soon changing!

Have you ever sought a resolution to increase the price?

A few sellers have done that with me. I politely exclaim that what they are seeking is included in x package and ask if they would like to upgrade. Then suddenly they realize that I’m right and they agree. Honestly, I think a lot of sellers just like to test you to see what they can get away with.

Have you ever sought a resolution to increase the price?

A few sellers have done that with me. I politely exclaim that what they are seeking is included in x package and ask if they would like to upgrade. Then suddenly they realize that I’m right and they agree. Honestly, I think a lot of sellers just like to test you to see what they can get away with.

A few times! Sometimes they’re not requesting more than what they paid for - as much as they have unreasonable expectations of my time, and the results they may or may not get… Constantly asking “Have you started yet… how many visitors / views will I get etc…!?” and that type of thing… (Even though there’s a 4 day window and they’re just 12 hours in) lol…😂😑

A few times! Sometimes they’re not requesting more than what they paid for - as much as they have unreasonable expectations of my time, and the results they may or may not get… Constantly asking “Have you started yet… how many visitors / views will I get etc…!?” and that type of thing… (Even though there’s a 4 day window and they’re just 12 hours in) lol…😂😑

Oh my goodness that’s annoying.

I like to be really specific in my scope, including expectations, so that buyers know what they can’t get away with. It works pretty well. Like I’ll flat out tell someone: you won’t achieve x result by my doing y. And I usually get a thank you for my honesty and then a five-star review. I’ve found it pays to be super-specific and it helps weed out the micromanagers.

• 2 months later...

A good way to avoid problematic buyers is to market yourself in a proactive way.

What I mean is, you should design your gigs/profile in a way that automatically repels the wrong buyers, so that they “block” themselves from you.

The most obvious example is how your price your gig. If your gig is particularly cheap, you’ll attract price shoppers, cheapskates and low quality customers by default. On the other hand, if your gig is more expensive, you’re more likely to attract customers that properly value your services and will treat you correctly.

Another way to go about it is to be clear about what your gig doesn’t do, to automatically disqualify buyers who have the wrong idea.

I hope it’ll help some of you.

Do you block anyone who sends you a message you don’t want to order from you?

No, that’s not necessary.

When I don’t think I can do a great job for a specific client’s project, I just reply I’m probably not the best to fulfill their needs and kindly suggest they go ask someone else.

If it doesn’t seem like something is off with whoever contacts me, I don’t block them.

No, that’s not necessary.

When I don’t think I can do a great job for a specific client’s project, I just reply I’m probably not the best to fulfill their needs and kindly suggest they go ask someone else.

If it doesn’t seem like something is off with whoever contacts me, I don’t block them.

I just reply I’m probably not the best to fulfill their needs and kindly suggest they go ask someone else.

They get mad or upset. They demand to know why. They become confused and worried. It always leads to a confrontation when I do this. In my case it’s because I don’t feel I can help them and it’s not a feeling I can describe well.

I just reply I’m probably not the best to fulfill their needs and kindly suggest they go ask someone else.

They get mad or upset. They demand to know why. They become confused and worried. It always leads to a confrontation when I do this. In my case it’s because I don’t feel I can help them and it’s not a feeling I can describe well.

The thing is, business isn’t about emotions. Your potential clients may need you, but you don’t need them (plenty of fish in the sea).

If they’re too immature to understand you cannot fulfill their needs and move on, it’s not your fault. It’s just them overreacting, and you shouldn’t make their problems yours.

In this case, where a confrontation happens, then yes, save yourself the trouble and block them.

What do you guys think of blocking a recent or previous buyer you didn’t enjoy working for? Have any of you done that? Or blocked a buyer who left less than five stars? To prevent them from ordering from you again.

Yes. Constant questions, advice seeking and general monopolising of time after the gig was completed.

The last straw was, when I told them they’d have to pay for my time, the reply was: “Now, don’t go all fiverr on me” (!)

Blocked.

Archived