How can I stop pre-order messages?

fastcopywriter

Yeah, I second this. I have like 10 templates ready to answer various questions. really helps when trying to get some sleep. On that note, does anyone have any message to pass on to buyers that want a 100% GUARANTEE that their content will rank on the first page for $10 even though their blog is a week old? Getting a lot of these lately for some reason.

does anyone have any message to pass on to buyers that want a 100% GUARANTEE that their content will rank on the first page for $10 even though their blog is a week old? Getting a lot of these lately for some reason.

Tell them that for an extra $25, you will get an SEO consultant to explain why what they’re asking for is never going to happen. On the other hand, you could just tell them that content is just one of thousands of factors that affect ranking some of which include the site, the user’s behavior, the page layout and the competitions’ sites. As you (Jim) cannot control those things, you cannot guarantee rankings for them.

I suspect that the increase in those inquiries you are seeing is due to the sellers they see in the listings who who say things like they will write viral (etc) content for several hundred dollars, but of course your client doesn’t want to pay that.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does anyone have any message to pass on to buyers that want a 100% GUARANTEE that their content will rank on the first page for $10 even though their blog is a week old? Getting a lot of these lately for some reason.

Tell them that for an extra $25, you will get an SEO consultant to explain why what they’re asking for is never going to happen. On the other hand, you could just tell them that content is just one of thousands of factors that affect ranking some of which include the site, the user’s behavior, the page layout and the competitions’ sites. As you (Jim) cannot control those things, you cannot guarantee rankings for them.

I suspect that the increase in those inquiries you are seeing is due to the sellers they see in the listings who who say things like they will write viral (etc) content for several hundred dollars, but of course your client doesn’t want to pay that.

Yeah, that’s exactly what I do but still, leaves a bad taste in my mouth when they ask me this after like 20 messages

As you (Jim) cannot control those things

We’re never getting over the Jim thing, are we?

Certainly.

The best way to stop needless pre-order messages from Clients is to build an independent online presence where you offer your Services as a Copywriter (preferably your own website), where you’ll firmly state that no one can message you before placing the order (sending you money) first, as your time is too valuable.

As a Seller on Fiverr however, you agree to Fiverr’s ToS, rules and mechanisms.

Fiverr allows buyers to contact sellers - as much as they want.

They encourage Sellers to respond. In fact, good response rate and time are one of prerequisites of being Level 1 + Sellers.

Therefore, as a Seller, by offering your Services on this platform you’re agreeing to answer those messages.

That’s the technical aspect of the issue.

As a Copywriter - you most probably know that when it comes to selling, it all comes down to perception.

In Buyer’s mind, as one of the Sellers offering services on a $5 Platform, your time is far from being valuable enough to bypass answering their messages. “If his time was so valuable he wouldn’t be here offering content for $5, and we wouldn’t be able to reach him at all”, is what they think.

This is why: “Please do not message me. I don’t have time to answer your messages.” is most certainly a terrible idea. It will most likely elicit a “why are you here then?” response coupled with, “why have you enabled me to contact you then?”

Sending such a message is not rude, per se. It’s delusional in a way.

It’s like an MMA fighter refusing to do a press conference before or after the fight. Yeah - it might fly once or twice, but soon enough, he’ll stop getting matches. Why? “You signed up for it, it’s a part of the deal. Even though you may not like it or feel its a waste of time that takes you away from training.”

It’s the same with Buyers messages. If you want to outgrow them - you simply need to outgrow Fiverr.

It’s that simple.

In Buyer’s mind, as one of the Sellers offering services on a $5 Platform, your time is far from being valuable enough to bypass answering their messages. “If his time was so valuable he wouldn’t be here offering content for $5, and we wouldn’t be able to reach him at all”, is what they think.

Well, I’m a buyer sometimes, and I know the difference between a $5 to $30 project, and a presentation to win a $50 million dollar account. A company like Nissan requires presentations for all their advertising, if it’s a simple thing like a radio commercial, that can be done over the phone. If it’s more complicated like TV or the entire print campaign for the year, then your creative director and some suits might fly over to California.

The Fiverr I grew to love had few messages. Instead, sometimes it had buyers ordering the wrong gigs and getting refunds. I would rather do that, it is faster and less annoying than a conversation.

Another option is to monetize those questions.

Create a consultation gig in which you “discuss your project with you for 30 mins - $25” or “Answer 5 questions about your project - $25”. Send this offer to people who ask too many questions. You will find this has one of the following effects:

• You don’t hear from the person again
  • They accept the custom offer
  • They place an order without further questions
  • They get annoyed that you want to be paid for your time - generally, it is best to just wish them luck with their project at that point.

I love that idea. Maybe it can be a customer offer. But won’t some buyers feel offended? Won’t they feel entitled to a free consultation?

Most of the questions I receive are the same too, and yet they all have different - customised answers, and most important: need information to be answered.*

So, when someone comes with lots of questions, I answer my questions.
And there, those who are really into getting the project done are filtered from those who are looking for something else (different type of service, deadline, whatever…)

*I have a FAQ and it has helped a lot, but I´m mentally prepared considering most people don´t get to that part of the gig description.

It is what it is, some people read it. Some people don´t

I love that idea. Maybe it can be a customer offer. But won’t some buyers feel offended? Won’t they feel entitled to a free consultation?

Won’t they feel entitled to a free consultation?

They are asking 5 brand names for $10, so in my opinion it’s quite understandable that they will ask some questions to make sure your gig meets their expectations. An average buyer doesn’t know that they will be able to fill out a questionnaire during the ordering process.

In your gig description, you’re mentioning that it’s a brainstorming gig and some of the negative reviews are given because a client had unrealistic expectations. It’s not really brainstorming if you wish to limit communication to the minimum and you wish to avoid answering their pre-order questions.

If these are repeat questions then you can use FAQ’s and templates, but I don’t think you can completely avoid pre-order messages. Lack of communication will affect your rating at some point if it hasn’t already.

But won’t some buyers feel offended? Won’t they feel entitled to a free consultation?

I offer consultations as a service and some people seem to want a consultation about their consultation which is as ridiculous as it sounds. If a “buyer” is offended because they are asked to pay, they are not a buyer - they are an annoyance.

In situations like this, communicating value really becomes important.

You need to invite them to take a consultation (or place an order) so you can get started. The key is in the wording so you define exactly what they will get from either a consultation or an order and then they can decide which they want to go for. I would highly recommend ensuring that you charge a reasonable amount for it to make it worth your while. A $5 consultation is not worth it, better to give it for free as that way you can shut it down when you want. Charging $25 for a [define length] consultation is reasonable and serious people will take it seriously but it also makes it worthwhile if it takes longer than a few questions.

Another feature about consultations (which benefits both buyers and sellers) is that the seller gets an understanding of the project and the buyer learns how to define what they actually want - much more so than they will in requirements which leads to a much better end product.

Yeah, I second this. I have like 10 templates ready to answer various questions. really helps when trying to get some sleep. On that note, does anyone have any message to pass on to buyers that want a 100% GUARANTEE that their content will rank on the first page for $10 even though their blog is a week old? Getting a lot of these lately for some reason.

does anyone have any message to pass on to buyers that want a 100% GUARANTEE that their content will rank on the first page

Tell them no one can guarantee that.

Won’t they feel entitled to a free consultation?

They are asking 5 brand names for $10, so in my opinion it’s quite understandable that they will ask some questions to make sure your gig meets their expectations. An average buyer doesn’t know that they will be able to fill out a questionnaire during the ordering process.

In your gig description, you’re mentioning that it’s a brainstorming gig and some of the negative reviews are given because a client had unrealistic expectations. It’s not really brainstorming if you wish to limit communication to the minimum and you wish to avoid answering their pre-order questions.

If these are repeat questions then you can use FAQ’s and templates, but I don’t think you can completely avoid pre-order messages. Lack of communication will affect your rating at some point if it hasn’t already.

In your gig description, you’re mentioning that it’s a brainstorming gig and some of the negative reviews are given because a client had unrealistic expectations. It’s not really brainstorming if you wish to limit communication to the minimum and you wish to avoid answering their pre-order questions

You make good points, the problem is that if it’s not a brainstorming, then the buyer is entitled to demand perfection, and I cannot provide that.

Lack of communication will affect your rating at some point if it hasn’t already.

Not really. As long as I thank each buyer for the order and remind them that I won’t communicate unless I have questions, most buyers will give me 5 stars for communication, even if they give me less than 5 for the other review questions.

Pre-order messaging rarely helps me. Once in a while a buyer forgets to provide instructions, and I click to make the order active since I know what he wants from his messaging, but for the most part, it’s a hindrance, a profit delay. I feel like the car salesman that has spent an hour with a client, only to be told he’s going to visit other car dealerships. In that offline world, that behavior is acceptable. Online, it shouldn’t be.

Some people love to chat, so the best option is to have some answers saved that you can auto fill and send to buyers. These will save you lots of time! And as people suggested add more FAQ to your gig to reduce the enquiries.

I have a FAQ, and a detailed gig description. I don’t know if people are reading it.

I did save a few answers, but to no avail. I get all kinds of questions, and I don’t want to save up 50 different answers.

Still, I appreciate your ideas. Personally, I would like to disable the messaging system, that is my dream.

I have a FAQ, and a detailed gig description. I don’t know if people are reading it.

I did save a few answers, but to no avail. I get all kinds of questions, and I don’t want to save up 50 different answers.

Still, I appreciate your ideas. Personally, I would like to disable the messaging system, that is my dream.

I think you just want to not have human contact too often 😄 I admit that lately I am irritated at all the time wasting questions from those who have not read the gig descriptions nor are they thinking of ordering, just seem to have nothing better to do.

Still my best suggestion is simply sending almost everyone a custom order and see what happens. I get over one third of my orders this way.

I think you just want to not have human contact too often 😄 I admit that lately I am irritated at all the time wasting questions from those who have not read the gig descriptions nor are they thinking of ordering, just seem to have nothing better to do.

Still my best suggestion is simply sending almost everyone a custom order and see what happens. I get over one third of my orders this way.

This is what I got today:

Hi I just launch my shopify storefront, I need to know ho you can help reach my audince.

Hi

Thanks for contacting me. I would be very interested in working with you on this project. Order the gig you need, and remember not to communicate here after you’ve placed your order.

Thank you,

fastcopywriter

Hi, so how can help with markting

I write Facebook ads. That’s how I help with the marketing. I also have other gigs, for google ads, headlines, etc.

ok can you do an ad for facebook for me plz

I can if you order my gig. So please stop messaging, and order my gig.

ok, I was going to order your gig but since you have been rude, I am not.

I’m beyond words at this point. Maybe I should have sent him a custom offer, but I’m tired of those. I’m tired of having to remember all my prices, of click on my gigs to see what they are.

Fiverr is supposed to be so simple, yet some buyers make it complicated.

I would have simply sent each a custom order. I agree that sending custom orders is a pain in the *** due to having to look at your gigs to see the prices and half the time I just make up prices which are actually higher than the listed prices, just due to having to do it in the first place and sometimes they get accepted.

If they continue asking questions after that I ignore them usually and someimes they then get the hint and accept the order.

The one thing I really like about this is that I can get twice as much when I send a custom order due to loading on the extras.

Sorry for this off topic comment.

But I really like how you always have an idea to monetise the situation. 🤑

This is something amazing, how you convert a annoying buyer / situation to an earn more opportunities. I am going to learn from it and follow not only on fiverr but out of it as well.

This is what I got today:

Hi I just launch my shopify storefront, I need to know ho you can help reach my audince.

Hi

Thanks for contacting me. I would be very interested in working with you on this project. Order the gig you need, and remember not to communicate here after you’ve placed your order.

Thank you,

fastcopywriter

Hi, so how can help with markting

I write Facebook ads. That’s how I help with the marketing. I also have other gigs, for google ads, headlines, etc.

ok can you do an ad for facebook for me plz

ok, I was going to order your gig but since you have been rude, I am not.

I’m beyond words at this point. Maybe I should have sent him a custom offer, but I’m tired of those. I’m tired of having to remember all my prices, of click on my gigs to see what they are.

Fiverr is supposed to be so simple, yet some buyers make it complicated.

That is rude. I can’t believe you answered that 😃

It’s a pretty standard question, you should have a template answer for this.

Could it be that your prices are too low to motivate you to answer them? Time is money so I get that you don’t wish to spend 30min answering questions if the client orders $10 gig. My basic gig is for consultation and all my other packages factor in the time I spend talking to my clients. If I have to spend 30min to answer pre-order questions then that’s fine because if I get it right I might easily close a deal for $400-$700. I wish more clients would ask questions from me because that’s an opportunity for me to sell my service and prove why I’m better than my competition.

For example creating a brand name shouldn’t be $10 gig in the first place. If you can communicate the value you bring then you can easily charge much more than this. If you get it right then the client will be using that name for years, it has to be worth more than $10. If a client doesn’t understand that, then maybe they are not the right client for you.

Fiverr is going in that direction anyway. They are moving away from fast food business where you pick a number, pay and get your junk food. Fiverr wants to offer better user experience which includes proper communication with your clients 😉

That is rude. I can’t believe you answered that 😃

It’s a pretty standard question, you should have a template answer for this.

Could it be that your prices are too low to motivate you to answer them? Time is money so I get that you don’t wish to spend 30min answering questions if the client orders $10 gig. My basic gig is for consultation and all my other packages factor in the time I spend talking to my clients. If I have to spend 30min to answer pre-order questions then that’s fine because if I get it right I might easily close a deal for $400-$700. I wish more clients would ask questions from me because that’s an opportunity for me to sell my service and prove why I’m better than my competition.

For example creating a brand name shouldn’t be $10 gig in the first place. If you can communicate the value you bring then you can easily charge much more than this. If you get it right then the client will be using that name for years, it has to be worth more than $10. If a client doesn’t understand that, then maybe they are not the right client for you.

Fiverr is going in that direction anyway. They are moving away from fast food business where you pick a number, pay and get your junk food. Fiverr wants to offer better user experience which includes proper communication with your clients 😉

Yeah, looking back I admit it was rude. Ironically, when I wrote it I was thinking: “I’m not being rude, I said ‘please.’”

I have 3 packages, the $10 package is for the poor. It used to be $5. I have this theory that Fiverr can make you more money when your packages are priced for the poor, the middle class, and the rich. Some of my competitors are charing $25, $50, $100, some do really well, others have 2 orders or no orders in their queue.

Still, maybe one of these days I will try your approach for a week and see how I do. With higher prices, I would definitely be more motivated.

Today for example I woke up with two revision requests and 5 messages. No orders! Everyone wants samples, everyone has questions, people love the messaging feature way too much! It’s become a cultural thing on Fiverr.

Certainly.

The best way to stop needless pre-order messages from Clients is to build an independent online presence where you offer your Services as a Copywriter (preferably your own website), where you’ll firmly state that no one can message you before placing the order (sending you money) first, as your time is too valuable.

As a Seller on Fiverr however, you agree to Fiverr’s ToS, rules and mechanisms.

Fiverr allows buyers to contact sellers - as much as they want.

They encourage Sellers to respond. In fact, good response rate and time are one of prerequisites of being Level 1 + Sellers.

Therefore, as a Seller, by offering your Services on this platform you’re agreeing to answer those messages.

That’s the technical aspect of the issue.

As a Copywriter - you most probably know that when it comes to selling, it all comes down to perception.

This is why: “Please do not message me. I don’t have time to answer your messages.” is most certainly a terrible idea. It will most likely elicit a “why are you here then?” response coupled with, “why have you enabled me to contact you then?”

Sending such a message is not rude, per se. It’s delusional in a way.

It’s like an MMA fighter refusing to do a press conference before or after the fight. Yeah - it might fly once or twice, but soon enough, he’ll stop getting matches. Why? “You signed up for it, it’s a part of the deal. Even though you may not like it or feel its a waste of time that takes you away from training.”

It’s the same with Buyers messages. If you want to outgrow them - you simply need to outgrow Fiverr.

It’s that simple.

This @richardbloch fella is growing on me 😂

Yeah, looking back I admit it was rude. Ironically, when I wrote it I was thinking: “I’m not being rude, I said ‘please.’”

I have 3 packages, the $10 package is for the poor. It used to be $5. I have this theory that Fiverr can make you more money when your packages are priced for the poor, the middle class, and the rich. Some of my competitors are charing $25, $50, $100, some do really well, others have 2 orders or no orders in their queue.

Still, maybe one of these days I will try your approach for a week and see how I do. With higher prices, I would definitely be more motivated.

Today for example I woke up with two revision requests and 5 messages. No orders! Everyone wants samples, everyone has questions, people love the messaging feature way too much! It’s become a cultural thing on Fiverr.

I have this theory that Fiverr can make you more money when your packages are priced for the poor, the middle class, and the rich.

I don’t know how to say this in a sensitive sounding way…

Why try to accomodate the poor…are they really your demographic target group?

You end up spending way too much time for too little money. And lots of times they are not really poor, just miserly. And to sound even more insensitive, this group, not the poor but those who only want to spend $5 or $10, are the most annoying, since their focus is on spending that little bit of money, and being angry about having to do it.

I couldn’t do this at all if I had to try to sell mostly $5 or $10 gigs. I spend way too much time answering questions and messages. I paid those dues the first two or three years here.

@fastcopywriter @misscrystal @eoinfinnegan @prroducer99plus @uxreview

Imagine yourself or any rational person , You are going to take services of an auto mechanic , what you will do ? Either you just straight away pay for it and ask any mechanic in market to do experiments on your favourite A8 or first you will confirm about best mechanic for your Audi and then do discussion with him to confirm about it whether he has sufficient expertise for it ?

If you are thinking like this that people directly order you without any discussion with you then you are going to lose your place in any market in the world not just in fiverr.

Be honest and ask yourself , Will you ever spend money on anything without getting know about it ?

Most of the People will always ask you first , do discussion with you and then they will place order if they will find you perfect for their task otherwise if you are not available for replying to messages then try to find a business in which you will not have to answer customers inquiries and honestly you will not find any single business like this.

Hope you will develop rational approach !

Thanks
waqas

Imagine yourself or any rational person , You are going to take services of an auto mechanic , what you will do ? Either you just straight away pay for it and ask any mechanic in market to do experiments on your favourite A8 or first you will confirm about best mechanic for your Audi and then do discussion with him to confirm about it whether he has sufficient expertise for it ?

If you are thinking like this that people directly order you without any discussion with you then you are going to lose your place in any market in the world not just in fiverr.

Be honest and ask yourself , Will you ever spend money on anything without getting know about it ?

Most of the People will always ask you first , do discussion with you and then they will place order if they will find you perfect for their task otherwise if you are not available for replying to messages then try to find a business in which you will not have to answer customers inquiries and honestly you will not find any single business like this.

Thanks

waqas

ask any mechanic in market to do experiments on your favourite A8

I took my Audi to a local mechanic and we were looking at the engine, and he said “what is this, a BMW?” so I do agree you need to ask some questions before hiring someone.

Thanks

waqas

With respect, we are not talking about people working on Audi A8s here.

We are talking about low cost services which are described in detail on the gig page.

A better analogy would be going to McDonalds, seeing the menu, ordering and paying.

If you don’t want onions just say so when you order, don’t waste everyone’s time by asking the server to list the ingredients.

Edit: I do recommend that people contact first for certain things but the services that the OP here offers are well described and shouldn’t really need more detail.

With respect, we are not talking about people working on Audi A8s here.

We are talking about low cost services which are described in detail on the gig page.

A better analogy would be going to McDonalds, seeing the menu, ordering and paying.

If you don’t want onions just say so when you order, don’t waste everyone’s time by asking the server to list the ingredients.

Edit: I do recommend that people contact first for certain things but the services that the OP here offers are well described and shouldn’t really need more detail.

With due respect ,

Then please first make yourself at a level that the world know about your brand and directly pick a coca-cola and pay for it or directly go to Mac and buy a mighty.

Not all the buyer are going to get service of $10 , I have most of my orders above $100 , so i must offer my consultation to my client before he is ready to pay me that Dollars and even if we talk about $10 then each client have different scenario so it is compulsory to discuss first .

With due respect ,

Then please first make yourself at a level that the world know about your brand and directly pick a coca-cola and pay for it or directly go to Mac and buy a mighty.

Not all the buyer are going to get service of $10 , I have most of my orders above $100 , so i must offer my consultation to my client before he is ready to pay me that Dollars and even if we talk about $10 then each client have different scenario so it is compulsory to discuss first .

Of course, there are lots of variables in terms of what works for different sellers, different gigs, different buyers etc.

What we are talking about here is the OP’s gigs. Similar to you, most of my orders are not $5 and so I accept and encourage people to contact me first if they are unsure but that does not work for lower priced gigs.

An exception for my services regarding contact first would be when people contact me asking “Can you translate 1000 words from Italian to English” or similar when my gig description clearly states that I can and will. In that case, it would be better for the buyer to just order and not waste time with a message first.

Archived