Mentor/Mentee Program (BETA)

mjensen415

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest discobot

do you want to be a mentor?😎

@discobot fortune

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Completely agree!. New sellers must be able to manage to be at level one. Mentors are not tutors. Mentor-ship is to provide only some advises on and then. Mentors are not meant to construct whole career from bottom. Lets just hope this programme takes a while to start as I haven’t completed my 30 days on Fiverr. #fingerscrossed

@aanderson73 Have you gone through this thread to read our replies? Because we explained the reasoning:

New sellers must be able to manage to be at level one. Mentors are not tutors. Mentor-ship is to provide only some advises on and then. Mentors are not meant to construct whole career from bottom.

Fiverr doesn’t let very new sellers because then the very new sellers would ask their mentors everything that is already written in the Fiverr Academy page, in the Support page, and in the ToS page.

Keeping it to at least L1 would mean that the seller is still new but has been on the site just long enough to have got acquainted to all those academy pages, support and tos pages, hence allowing the mentors to give actual help that isn’t quite covered in those pages.

@aanderson73 Have you gone through this thread to read our replies? Because we explained the reasoning:

New sellers must be able to manage to be at level one. Mentors are not tutors. Mentor-ship is to provide only some advises on and then. Mentors are not meant to construct whole career from bottom.

Fiverr doesn’t let very new sellers because then the very new sellers would ask their mentors everything that is already written in the Fiverr Academy page, in the Support page, and in the ToS page.

Keeping it to at least L1 would mean that the seller is still new but has been on the site just long enough to have got acquainted to all those academy pages, support and tos pages, hence allowing the mentors to give actual help that isn’t quite covered in those pages.

Thanks. (20 characters)

I feel like forcing a mentor/mentee relationship out of thin-air is kind of like Tinder-ing the most important part of your career!

Obviously it’s up to us to vet any potential mentors, but it has always been a challenge to reach out & find someone that brings more to the table (not to be cocky), AND is in a position to spend a considerable amount of time teaching you the “ropes” of a particular industry/market/skill etc…

I was fortunate enough to encounter my first (and only to-date) proper mentor when I was a young(er) entrepreneur with a startup in-home computer repair business. He passed away over 10 years ago, but his impact on the community was felt & is missed to this day.

Our relationship almost didn’t occur over a $15 discrepancy over my hourly rate (I wanted $80, he wanted $65). I will always be grateful that I called him back & agreed to be more flexible. He became not only my greatest client, but also my biggest advocate. The wisdom he imparted to me has helped to shape who I am today, and I will forever be in his debt. We miss you Al!

My point is, good help is hard to find… We started looking for interns recently, but really it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack. We were looking for someone that also brought something to the table (not necessarily skills, but at the very least a certain DRIVE) and finding candidates who would have been worthy of investing our time to develop their talents was near impossible.

That being said, I met the love of my life on Tinder!

Our 2 cents… It’s a huge gamble! How many times have you hit the jackpot playing slots in Vegas?

I feel like forcing a mentor/mentee relationship out of thin-air is kind of like Tinder-ing the most important part of your career!

Obviously it’s up to us to vet any potential mentors, but it has always been a challenge to reach out & find someone that brings more to the table (not to be cocky), AND is in a position to spend a considerable amount of time teaching you the “ropes” of a particular industry/market/skill etc…

I was fortunate enough to encounter my first (and only to-date) proper mentor when I was a young(er) entrepreneur with a startup in-home computer repair business. He passed away over 10 years ago, but his impact on the community was felt & is missed to this day.

Our relationship almost didn’t occur over a $15 discrepancy over my hourly rate (I wanted $80, he wanted $65). I will always be grateful that I called him back & agreed to be more flexible. He became not only my greatest client, but also my biggest advocate. The wisdom he imparted to me has helped to shape who I am today, and I will forever be in his debt. We miss you Al!

My point is, good help is hard to find… We started looking for interns recently, but really it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack. We were looking for someone that also brought something to the table (not necessarily skills, but at the very least a certain DRIVE) and finding candidates who would have been worthy of investing our time to develop their talents was near impossible.

That being said, I met the love of my life on Tinder!

Our 2 cents… It’s a huge gamble! How many times have you hit the jackpot playing slots in Vegas?

If someone has a marketable skill and good communication skills that’s most of it. If they have neither of those and get a mentor that’s a big job.

If someone has a marketable skill and good communication skills that’s most of it. If they have neither of those and get a mentor that’s a big job.

I hear you Miss Crystal,

Those standards are just too low for me personally (we work with a pretty tight technical team). I would personally feel like I would be doing clients a disservice by putting their project in the hands of a trainee/intern.

In a more technical market, the skill-set definitely becomes much more important, but good communication is something I would like to see from a high school student, lol…

If you’re selecting a mentor/apprentice please exercise discretion & be realistic about how much time you can actually commit to helping them further their skill set.

Having already had the good fortune to experience a serendipitous mentor willing to share a lifetime of insight with me (same gentleman as I mentioned above), I can honestly relate that experience to that of finding the love of my life/soul-mate!

Very different relationships (lol), but in searching for a true mentor who wants to see you succeed, you will develop a similar bond & possibly wind-up finish each other’s sentences 🙂 Big job indeed!

Just trying to relate that it’s worth it to spend extra time trying to find someone that fits in your life naturally and to look for those needles in a haystack… from both parties’ perspective!

I hear you Miss Crystal,

Those standards are just too low for me personally (we work with a pretty tight technical team). I would personally feel like I would be doing clients a disservice by putting their project in the hands of a trainee/intern.

In a more technical market, the skill-set definitely becomes much more important, but good communication is something I would like to see from a high school student, lol…

If you’re selecting a mentor/apprentice please exercise discretion & be realistic about how much time you can actually commit to helping them further their skill set.

Having already had the good fortune to experience a serendipitous mentor willing to share a lifetime of insight with me (same gentleman as I mentioned above), I can honestly relate that experience to that of finding the love of my life/soul-mate!

Very different relationships (lol), but in searching for a true mentor who wants to see you succeed, you will develop a similar bond & possibly wind-up finish each other’s sentences 🙂 Big job indeed!

Just trying to relate that it’s worth it to spend extra time trying to find someone that fits in your life naturally and to look for those needles in a haystack… from both parties’ perspective!

I’ve had requests from random sellers to mentor them and without fail I felt they didn’t have even the most rudimentary skill set to succeed with any amount of mentoring so usually it’s necessary to carefully choose who you will mentor. And since this is a site for entrepreneurs that too is something that has some intrinsic skills that are needed such as the ability to be one’s own boss and handle a variety of tasks.

But what’s the point of the program when new sellers can’t join it? You need to be atleast be level 1 to sign up. Looks like this program is to increase fiverr revenue instead of helping new sellers. But it’s in BETA so let’s hope for the best.

You need to be atleast be level 1 to sign up. Looks like this program is to increase fiverr revenue instead of helping new sellers.

Sorry, but a Level one is still a beginner. Tons of sellers sign up (it costs nothing) and I think it’s good they work with the people who do a minimal amount before someone decides to do one on one assisting/mentoring.

That way a seller at least has to do some homework, and the odds are the level one person is far more likely to listen to the mentor, since they have a little perspective in terms of how it works.

If you’ve ever mentored, you know it’s 10x more fun working with someone who is doing their share, rather than assuming you are going to give all the answers.

It would be different if we were getting paid to mentor, but for free I want someone who is doing their part, and hitting level 1 is a minimal bar from my point of view.

(Sorry: But making level 2 is to be applauded, but in terms of success I still consider it an entry level/beginner when someone hits that mark for the first time.)

You need to be atleast be level 1 to sign up. Looks like this program is to increase fiverr revenue instead of helping new sellers.

Sorry, but a Level one is still a beginner. Tons of sellers sign up (it costs nothing) and I think it’s good they work with the people who do a minimal amount before someone decides to do one on one assisting/mentoring.

That way a seller at least has to do some homework, and the odds are the level one person is far more likely to listen to the mentor, since they have a little perspective in terms of how it works.

If you’ve ever mentored, you know it’s 10x more fun working with someone who is doing their share, rather than assuming you are going to give all the answers.

It would be different if we were getting paid to mentor, but for free I want someone who is doing their part, and hitting level 1 is a minimal bar from my point of view.

(Sorry: But making level 2 is to be applauded, but in terms of success I still consider it an entry level/beginner when someone hits that mark for the first time.)

Level one is still a beginner.

No. I am level one seller. It depends upon the work you do here. My services delivery dates are 30 days maximum. Then how can i ever be achieve the level 2 seller. It’s not possible for me. I cannot complete 50 orders in 60 days even i receive more than 50 orders. So i am not a beginner. Experience matters. You are a voice actor… you can complete 10+ works in a hurry… but a social media entrepreneur cannot. This is not how things work in my Niche.

I had already completed more than 50 orders right now… but if you will visit my profile after 1000 reviews… you will still see me as a level one seller.

hitting level 1 is a minimal bar from my point of view.

So it’s not the correct point of view.

If Fiverr manually gives me the level 2 seller position then it’s possible for me to become a level 2 seller. That’s my point of view.

No. I am level one seller. It depends upon the work you do here. My services delivery dates are 30 days maximum. Then how can i ever be achieve the level 2 seller. It’s not possible for me. I cannot complete 50 orders in 60 days even i receive more than 50 orders. So i am not a beginner. Experience matters. You are a voice actor… you can complete 10+ works in a hurry… but a social media entrepreneur cannot. This is not how things work in my Niche.

I had already completed more than 50 orders right now… but if you will visit my profile after 1000 reviews… you will still see me as a level one seller.

If Fiverr manually gives me the level 2 seller position then it’s possible for me to become a level 2 seller. That’s my point of view.

@lisabaarns I am taking some of my words back. I just got promoted to the level 2. Now i am also a level 2 seller… just like you want. I really don’t know how this happened, i visited my profile and there was a popup of “Level 2” seller.

Now @mjensen415 , @eoinfinnegan, @fonthaunt (please someone answer my question) when i signed up for the above Mentor Program, i was a level one seller so i chose the “level 1” option. But now i am level two seller and now 2nd level badge will increase my chances to become a Mentor. So can i submit the form again or edit the form.??

Thanks in advance.

@lisabaarns I am taking some of my words back. I just got promoted to the level 2. Now i am also a level 2 seller… just like you want. I really don’t know how this happened, i visited my profile and there was a popup of “Level 2” seller.

Now @mjensen415 , @eoinfinnegan, @fonthaunt (please someone answer my question) when i signed up for the above Mentor Program, i was a level one seller so i chose the “level 1” option. But now i am level two seller and now 2nd level badge will increase my chances to become a Mentor. So can i submit the form again or edit the form.??

Thanks in advance.

Congrats! 😄

It depends upon the work you do here. My services delivery dates are 30 days maximum. Then how can i ever be achieve the level 2 seller.

You’re right! But you’re an exception.

In most categories doing 10 gigs is still a FIVERR beginner. (I’m like you, we had years of experience before Fiverr…)

But it’s also possible you can/should break up your 30 day gigs into sub-components, so you can get to the different levels.

It’s also dependent on what your peers in your category are doing.

In 95% of the categories on Fiverr, Level 1 is still a very beginner and most of us with extensive experience don’t want to mentor someone who hasn’t at least done some homework.

Again: You (and maybe your category) don’t fit the vast majority…

Thanks in advance.

I just got promoted to the level 2. Now i am also a level 2 seller… just like you want.

Note: It’s not what I want… I agree you should have been Level 2 a long time ago. Anybody with 1000 finished gigs should have qualified a LONG time ago, but not my call.

Happy they finally promoted you.

Archived