What's THE ONE Thing U Guys Are Struggling With The Most On Fiverr?

globalyuppie

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m usually stuck at home, either helping out my ailing father or freelancing as an illustrator. When my temp agency doesn’t have any work for me (which is a long commute for most times), I’m working online for income.

I’ve had some success on Fiverr so far, however I’m struggling to make a balance of labour, time and profit that works best for me while attracting customers. I know everyone loves a bargain especially with prices starting at $5 and there’s always the chance of receiving a large tip, but I need to be able to sell artworks that I can make easily and quickly.

I’ve reworked my gig recently with examples and all, but to no avail. I’m trying now to check out what the more successful freelancers are doing for their gigs.

1.) It’s a lot less expensive to get Fiverr to market services for free(And you can always mix into your pricing an up-sell to counter-act the 20% cost per order.), rather than pay potentially hundreds in advertising for some occasional big orders, and a lot less risk in regards to direct Paypal disputes. I mean, people send disputes over less than $5 often. I can imagine the nightmare that would be on a website of your own.

2.)Generally pretty much what I stated above. I have more frustration over those that buy $5 to $15 worth of stuff on Fiverr, than ones that have spent hundreds. Gig Packages is actually solving the problem, really. It’s much easier to deal with someone buying a package as usually if they have that kind of money to spend, they’re serious about whatever they may need it for, and ultimately that means they know the time investment it takes to earn it, and thus take you more seriously as a seller. 90% of my mutual cancellations were on those that ordered $5 gigs and that’s saying a lot being as I have been here since 2011.

Guest chernabog

buyers being like “yo can I get this ultra detailed image created, I understand it’ll take many hours, thank you. Oh BTW I can only pay u 5 dollars.”

Jey242,

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I really liked reading your answer. I think we can all relate to it as we all probably feel like we have something to prove to ourselves.

In regards to your answer to my 2nd question, I do have some questions. How exactly are you proving yourself to your clients right now? I am guessing through Fiverr reviews? Or, do you mean that you struggle with actually getting clients into the door and reviews?

Thanks,
Cornelia Pauline

P.s.: I’m sure you and your partners wont be hungry for much longer.

emmaki,

Your reply made me laugh as I’m sure we all struggle with idiots from time to time lol. My latest maybe not-so-funny story is that I had a Fiverr client call me 5 times throughout the night and early morning hours 2 days ago because he was worried about the process of his order. No joke.

Now in case you might wonder where he got my number from. I do product photography gigs here on Fiverr among other things and he needed to ship me his package, got it super insured and certified via Fedex (it was a plastic cell phone cover I should add that he sold for $10 a pop) and essentially he needed my number for Fedex.

Anyway, learned a new lesson right there. Never give out your phone number even to clients who do not seem difficult at first. This one did not either but turned into a male bridezilla of sorts.

& The thing you mentioned with the url happens to me all the time. I put all the work in to create comprehensive and understandable gig descriptions but some buyers don’t seem to want to read anything and just order away.

I am afraid that we will continue to have to deal with idiots because of the pre-face of getting $5 orders. The clients that I charge the most, so when I sell custom offers of $400-$800 a piece, those clients never complain. But it is the clients who purchase orders for $5 that are sometimes the most difficult.
Do you have the same experience?

Best,
Cornelia Pauline

P.s.: glad you aren’t hungry haha

Hi railites,

This is not a bad idea. The only challenge that I see with that is that sometimes we can get really busy as sellers and I can only speak for me, but I would not have the time to answer all the inquiries, plus research a buyer online. In addition to that, many buyers use a pseudonym as well so that would not help.

Oh I had those too. But I think you can train yourself to pay attention to each conversation with a new client to start getting a feel for those bad buyers if that makes sense. I mean I can only speak for me but when I think back, I always started having a bad feeling with most of the more difficult clients throughout the first few conversations already. Anyway, that’s just me ;).

hi there fastcopywriter,

(1) Your story is really inspiring and I love that Fiverr has this power of changing our lives in a positive way. Btw, I have written an e-book on Fiverr as a Fiverr coach to existing sellers and even created a course and was wondering if by any chance you might be at all interested in telling your story to our community? Of course, this would include that you could advertise your gigs as well :). Anyway, let me know and I will upload a document with some details.

(2) I totally see what you are saying. First of all, congrats on the golden egg! I know a lot of sellers who wish they had one. So be proud of it. Second, I checked out your site and the first thing I noticed with your 2 least popular gigs was that they were missing videos. You have them for all the other gigs but not for those. Furthermore, I am guessing you already SEO optimize your headlines, or are you not? This could add to it as well. Finally, you could have a couple of friends buy your less popular gigs and then leave you reviews in exchange for a cup of caramel macchiato or something haha.

But anyway, if you want my opinion, I would not be too worried about it. Isn’t it almost like you should play to your strengths? So, apparently, you have a few gigs who are your strengths on Fiverr. Why not focus on making them even better? Essentially, make them so good no one can ignore them ;).

Best,
Cornelia Pauline

Hi landofawes,

In Fiverr’s Terms Of Service it states:

“Fiverr does not refund payments made for cancelled orders back to your payment provider automatically. Funds from order cancellations are refunded to the buyer’s balance as credit and are available for future purchases on Fiverr. Funds returned to your balance from cancelled orders will not include processing fees paid.
Deposit refunds, when available from the payment provider, can be performed by our Customer Support team. To prevent fraud and abuse, we limit the total amount of times users can request a payment provider refund from their account which is subject to review by our Customer Support team. Such refunds may be subject to an additional fee. If any processing fees were added at the time of purchase to create a new order, the processing fees from that payment will be refunded along with your deposit.”

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Cornelia Pauline

Hi fatdaddy,

I couldn’t agree more with what you said. What you said is exactly what I teach my students in my Fiverr course FiverrWithFocus. Focus on building up a professional, legit, ethically correct and honest Fiverr business and treat each buyer as a human being. What that means as well is that you have to go out of your way often times to put their mind at ease by showing your personality through the style of your written conversations. Why? Because it is harder for anyone to trust someone they can not hear, see, smell or ‘touch’. As a result, the only tool you have is your writing and how you choose you express yourself through this art ;). Anyway, in essence and from being active on Fiverr as a seller for the past 17 months, I can assure you that yes! Your strategy will work on Fiverr because sadly to a lot of Fiverr sellers you will be like a breath of fresh air. And finally, I find this to be truly amazing by it is almost like sellers can tell if you are honest with them or not.

Thanks for your comment!
Cornelia Pauline

Hi zeeus777,

I couldn’t agree more with you. I’m also often times annoyed by people who just order the $5 gigs and hoping to get away with it. But it is your business and as such, you reserve yourself the right to be stern and not work with certain people. Isn’t that one of the reasons why we are freelancers and entrepreneurs :)?

Anyway, I just checked out your site and saw you were from Japan! That is so cool. I have lived in Seoul for a while and while I was there, visited Japan many times and my best friend is working in Tokyo now. I particularly love Osaka and Kyoto. In Osaka I had the BEST sushi ever and in Kyoto I fell in love with the temples. What part of Japan are you from?
Btw, I have written an e-book on Fiverr as a Fiverr coach to existing sellers and even created a course and was wondering if by any chance you might be at all interested in telling your story to our community? Of course, this would include that you could advertise your gigs as well :). Anyway, let me know and I will upload a document with some details.

Congrats on your Fiverr success and keep up the great work!
Best,
Cornelia Pauline

I would also agree with pacha2016 and wiggywonka. Furthermore, I can only tell you from my own personal experience that after quite a lot of trial and error I have found myself a niche on Fiverr and after exploring it, started my own company last year. I am still active on Fiverr because I love it and of how it has positively changed my life. So, long story short, don’t give up hope. It’s possible!

Maybe you can even use as your username ‘lessismore’ :). it was just an idea. But I kind of like your description. I’m getting a feel for who you are and that is most important. If I might suggest another thing, I would definitely add a profile image of YOU. So, of who you really are and how you look like - and don’t forget to smile. I know it might sound weird but a picture of an actual person works wonders sometimes!

In addition to that, I would add more videos. But not only videos of how you do things, but funner and more engaging videos. In case you are camera shy, I would suggest to hire someone to do the video for you, almost like a promotional actor. Reason being is that you want to give your future buyers a sense of a persona if that makes sense. They can not hear, see, feel or smell you and as a result they might not trust you well enough. Whereas, when they can see someone and get a sense for who you are, they might be more inclined to work with you. Anyway, I know Fiverr sellers who are either on the video themselves or if they are really camera shy, they hire someone or create a fun interactive whiteboard video (another solution ;).

Best,
Cornelia Pauline

Hi misscrystal,

Let me just say that I love your username, your Fiverr gigs (so unique and cool!) and your ideas. I could not agree more with you but you know what a little bird on the internet told me…that Fiverr might get rid of the $5 display and marketing all together within the next couple of years or so. I think that would be a tremendous progress because it would make things so much easier and I am sure sales would explode. What do you think?

Best,
Cornelia Pauline

You go girl! Btw, where from Greece are you from? I am originally from Vienna, Austria and have visited your beautiful country many times :).

And in regards to 2. Yep that happens to me a lot too. Honestly, I usually just report those people particularly if I keep getting the same offer from the same person. This is not professional and I wish those buyers would realize that those kinds of actions do not produce the long-term results they might envision. If someone is desperate to get business, there are much smarter and more ethical ways to drive traffic to your gigs.

Best,
Cornelia Pauline

@d3mian,

I totally feel you on this. I’ve heard from a long-time top rated seller that fiverr bases their ‘recommend’ tab based on a gig’s hit-click ratio, as well as the gig’s conversion rate into traffic. If the gig regularly delivers orders plays into account as well. So this can be challenging of course if you have to measure yourself against a top rated seller , for instance. Anyway, I’ve found for myself that sharing my gigs on social media networks as increased traffic and conversions to my gigs. I also love using Periscope and youtube as a tool to advertise my services. For instance, I checked out your account and saw you do design work. You could go on Periscope and ‘film’ yourself while you show people how to draw a basic logo. That’s just an idea. But I hope you can see how many infinite potential there is. Furthermore, video is an AWESOME tool for potential buyers to actually see you and build up an immediate connection. Just a tip ;). Hope this helped.

Kind regards,
Cornelia Pauline

@tobywilson664,

The huge potential of the customer base here on Fiverr is truly amazing, isn’t it?! I have added many new loyal clients to my business since being active on Fiverr.

In regards to your second point I am right there with you. I also have those people who literally think I can i.e. produce them a super professional video with 3 models, that will blow up and go viral on Kickstarter and make millions of sales for their product - all for $5. Well, I always notice that the best policy for such buyers is setting the expectations right from the beginning. For such cases I have usually an automatic response set in place so that I do not invest any more time than needed. Hope this helps deal with it even better ;).

Archived