Partial Refund - Request to Partial Refund from Seller

joeyjive

Like many have pointed out, if you have given the service that was intended and asked by the buyer, please do not be handing out refunds. You will be undermining not only your own efforts, but you will also be encouraging such people to go around scamming more sellers this way. Do not be afraid of a few bad reviews, every successful seller will have them. I have a few, and yet I still have a 5-star on my profile because of the work that I did for many others who have appreciated it. Take pride in your work and do not bend your terms. Bad reviews from such clients can very easily be buried if you are not regularly messing up your orders by yourself.
Also, try to verify your clients as much as possible before accepting order. I take in orders mostly through custom offers, so I’m not sure how much you can control that aspect if you take in orders through the order page, but you can try maybe.

• Like 3

but it would lead to a bad review and reviews are very important to base your selling prices.

What’s up with sellers being so terrified of bad reviews? I saw another post the other day where sellers are saying they’d rather cancel than get a bad review. I’m sorry, but I value my time and I’m not going to let buyers bully me and get away with it because I’m afraid of a bad review.

Also, I’ve purchased from sellers with all glowing 5-star reviews, not one bad review, and got really crappy service that left me wondering where all those good reviews came from. And I’ve purchased from sellers with multiple bad reviews and got quality service.

That said, I’ve become VERY picky as a seller. I now tell a lot of potential buyers that I am not available even when I am, based on a number of things - like that first contact message, or if they’re asking for samples or trying to bargain, etc. As a result, I have very few bad experiences.

When I do get a bad review, I simply tell my side of the story.

Is asking for samples of previous work considered to be a scam tactic? because recently I had a guy ask me for that and then he never responded.

• Like 3

Is asking for samples of previous work considered to be a scam tactic? because recently I had a guy ask me for that and then he never responded.

Is asking for samples of previous work considered to be a scam tactic?

For my graphic work, I automatically write-off anyone who comes asking for samples as a time-waster. There’s plenty of samples, especially of recently delivered work, on my gig profile. What that tells me is that they didn’t bother to read and/or view without contacting me, or they’re fishing for ideas.

Ex. One guy came to me recently for a cover design and had a bunch of questions. I spent time giving him advice on his genre and why X won’t work and Y will. Then he asked me to give him a couple of ideas of how I would design his cover for him. I told him the truth: I never know until I start designing. His reply was, “I know you probably don’t want to tell me because I haven’t ordered yet…” This immediately tipped me off to what he was doing. So I sent him a custom offer and told him that we would talk more once he placed the order. He replied, “Fine.” But he never did place the order. Turns out he had an order with a $5 seller the entire time and was trying to use me for ideas to pass on to the other seller (I tracked him). He wanted my knowledge but he didn’t want to pay for it.

For my blurb writing gig, I don’t share samples of previous work out of confidentiality. Unless a client chose to share their work when leaving a review so it pops up on my profile, I won’t share it with anyone.

There are two different buyers with this gig. Those who reply with, “I won’t buy your gig since I don’t know the quality of your writing”, and those who reply with, “Oh, okay, I understand. Please send me a custom offer for…

I’ve never had any problems with the latter.

That said, this is just my own way of doing things. It’s worked for me. You just have to use your judgment and past experiences with bad clients to develop your own '“screening” method.

• Like 8

Unless they have no other way of seeing examples of your work, yes. Hopefully you do have a way to show that.

Or in some cases if someone has thousands of positive reviews they probably could judge just from that you are capable. It depends on what type of service you are selling.

It’s also possible if you sent samples and didn’t get a response they didn’t like them.

About the idea of a partial refund, it’s not going to happen.

• Like 3

In my 5 years on fiverr I only ever needed/was asked for a partial refund once. It didn’t happen because it couldn’t happen and ultimately, I’m glad.

Partial refund definitely shouldn’t be introduced to be used and abused as an option to pay off a potential negative review.

• Like 4

Is asking for samples of previous work considered to be a scam tactic?

For my graphic work, I automatically write-off anyone who comes asking for samples as a time-waster. There’s plenty of samples, especially of recently delivered work, on my gig profile. What that tells me is that they didn’t bother to read and/or view without contacting me, or they’re fishing for ideas.

Ex. One guy came to me recently for a cover design and had a bunch of questions. I spent time giving him advice on his genre and why X won’t work and Y will. Then he asked me to give him a couple of ideas of how I would design his cover for him. I told him the truth: I never know until I start designing. His reply was, “I know you probably don’t want to tell me because I haven’t ordered yet…” This immediately tipped me off to what he was doing. So I sent him a custom offer and told him that we would talk more once he placed the order. He replied, “Fine.” But he never did place the order. Turns out he had an order with a $5 seller the entire time and was trying to use me for ideas to pass on to the other seller (I tracked him). He wanted my knowledge but he didn’t want to pay for it.

For my blurb writing gig, I don’t share samples of previous work out of confidentiality. Unless a client chose to share their work when leaving a review so it pops up on my profile, I won’t share it with anyone.

There are two different buyers with this gig. Those who reply with, “I won’t buy your gig since I don’t know the quality of your writing”, and those who reply with, “Oh, okay, I understand. Please send me a custom offer for…

I’ve never had any problems with the latter.

That said, this is just my own way of doing things. It’s worked for me. You just have to use your judgment and past experiences with bad clients to develop your own '“screening” method.

Thank you so much for your reply! you’ve given me a much needed knowledge about tis , since this is only my second month as a seller, I lack experience in handling such situations, so thank you again!

• Like 3

Unless they have no other way of seeing examples of your work, yes. Hopefully you do have a way to show that.

Or in some cases if someone has thousands of positive reviews they probably could judge just from that you are capable. It depends on what type of service you are selling.

It’s also possible if you sent samples and didn’t get a response they didn’t like them.

About the idea of a partial refund, it’s not going to happen.

I do some copywrite work, and I’m scared to give samples away because they can steal my formula and how to attract the customers…ect

Someone today asked me for samples and I just told him I can’t because it is confidential, and my reviews can reflect on the quality, and tbh Im happy that I did that, because the clients that I’ve worked with have been amazing and they never asked for samples.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

I do some copywrite work, and I’m scared to give samples away because they can steal my formula and how to attract the customers…ect

Someone today asked me for samples and I just told him I can’t because it is confidential, and my reviews can reflect on the quality, and tbh Im happy that I did that, because the clients that I’ve worked with have been amazing and they never asked for samples.

I just told him I can’t because it is confidential

If I had no idea can seller actually deliver him/her not willing or having some random sample of previous work is too much of a risk. Yes, your buyers are happy, but what about 100 other buyers that did not find you but scammers who also refused to show samples of past work just because they have none.

If Fiverr had a better vetting system and your skills and delivery is verified as good quality, that would be a different case.

But since Fiverr has no vetting and anyone can come and sell anything…

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Very important thing:

Sometimes we really need an option to provide partial refund. This is very common that sometimes we face issues with an order and maybe we need to make a deal with the customer to provide a partial refund. Also, sometimes customer place an order with some wrong gig extras and they want to take the partial refund for that specific gig extra amount. 

But in that case, what we need to do it fully cancel the order and then we need to take a new order which is a unsmart, unprofessional way as well as some buyers do not like that kind of hassle. 

If Fiverr can give us an option where we will be able to provide a partial refund and will be able to set the refund amount that will be absolutely great. Definitely, buyer will have option to reject or accept the partial refund. 

I hope Fiverr will take this matter seriously and will make necessary steps. 

Thank you.

• Like 7
  • Up 1

2 hours ago, theratypist said:

I think it will complicate the arrangement Fiverr has for payments and gigs right now. I am fine with how it is now. But interested to hear other user's perspectives on this. 

Do you ever received tips from buyer??
Does it make complicated to manage fiverr?
Thanks for your opinion  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mdshahjalal820 said:

Do you ever received tips from buyer??
Does it make complicated to manage fiverr?
Thanks for your opinion  

Yes I receive tips from buyer. It does not complicate managing Fiverr.

I just meant how do we justify how much a refund is (in complicated orders) especially custom offers?

Example, $1000 gig for making a website. How will we do a "partial refund".. A refund of $400 because the seller did not include the about me page, etc. So there must be a breakdown clearly written on your profile how much each part of your gig costs. 

Of course it may be easier for lets say article writing. A refund of $50 because only 300 words were written. Or perhaps extras because there is a clear distinction of how much the extra costs. 

As I mentioned earlier, I am fine with how it is now. But interested in hearing other people's perspectives.

• Like 6
  • Up 2

Fiverr might actually like this idea since they want to make money wherever possible.. so instead of a 100% cancellation, they might actually like the idea of say a 50% cancellation.. but ya... like @theratypist mentioned, the exact portion that has to be refunded would be difficult to sort out.. it'd depend on mutual understanding of both the buyer and the seller.. nonetheless, sounds good to me... I mean if I am a buyer who doesn't have ill will, I might actually want a seller to keep a portion of the gig amount for the time and efforts they put in... so ya.. thumbs up from me.. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, surajkartha said:

so instead of a 100% cancellation, they might actually like the idea of say a 50% cancellation

Good point! I am for partial refunds and people deserve to get paid for what they have done as described. To add on my explanation earlier, I am okay with the way it is now wherein you just cancel the order and let the buyer purchase again. It doesn't sound too intuitive so it does sound like its worth considering the partial refund method. Its just there are so many technicalities in play I wonder how Fiverr will sort that out.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Sometimes it's really important to have a "PARTIAL REFUND" option on Fiverr. Sometimes buyer place order with extra things by mistake and then ask for a refund. But only option we have just full refund but if there was a partial refund option that can be a best solution for this kind of issues. 

There is one more situation. Sometimes customers want to stop the project and want to pay about 50% so want to take 50% refund so partial refund is important for this as well. 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

A buyer recently contacted me after their order had been fulfilled, and brought up some export problems with the files I sent them. I won't be able to fix these problems myself, due to software and budget limitations, so I will be sending the project files to their editor to fix. Since I can't fulfill their request, is there a way I can offer a full or partial refund?

• Like 3