Handling spam messages

Kesha

I've received similar scam messages with no text content, just a screenshot that appears to be from Fiverr, indicating that an account is suspended. I doubt anyone would fall for this scam, especially since it asks for credit information which it will never do. However, I believe Fiverr should verify the text in images to detect such scams.

• Like 7

What was the goal of this scam?

I’m a very new seller on Fiverr — only one week with my gig active. I have received a couple of scam messages, the first was easy to spot (an information bot with a QR code purporting to be Fiverr support). The second is more confusing; I can’t figure out what the scam was meant to be.

The buyer messaged me asking for help with their novel (beta reading). I agreed, gave them information about how I work and asked for a little more info on their project. They provided the word count (nothing else) and said they appreciated my enthusiasm and will consider me, but they asked no follow up questions. I left it there, on a positive note, and let them know if they had any other questions or needed more information to get in touch.

A day later, I login to see a very random message from the same user: “Label hoihsfois hsaf isahf ashdiajs doija.” I click into the chat and see that I can no longer contact the user. Some time frantic googling later and I’ve connected the nonsense message to scam bots and concluded that they’ve likely been caught and banned by Fiverr.

I did quite a bit of research on scams before setting up a seller account. They didn’t ask for free work, attach suspicious docs or links, ask me to work offsite, etc.

Hoping to pick the brains of the more experienced. Has anyone else come across anything similar? What was the scammer’s goal?

Thanks!

• Like 5

Ut's getting out of hand now. Get at least one message a day from spam using Fiverr logo and calling themselves 'Fiverr Support' I hope everyone stays safe.

• Like 7

I have received such messages myself as well but I never scan the QR codes I just report the accounts. 

This happens mostly just after you post a new gig. It looks like an automated scam from people with malicious intents. 

Take care of your safety everyone!

• Like 6

I published my first gig on my new Fiverr account, I have received more than five spam messages in a day...

I was really confident and excited after I published my first gig ( it is still active, I started it a couple of days ago). i had made the account a while ago and now am actively engaging and looking for buyers and clients. However, these spam and phishing messages are quite a downer, some literally violate the policies of Fiverr and tell me to join their telegram, and two of them even sent me links, for me to receive my 'payment', even though they did not order my gig in the first place (phishing most probably). So I have all these messages and some payment links but no active orders (like what?). I am looking for real customers to whom I can offer my best work and services, that would be much appreciated. Fiverr, please do something about this, thank you!

• Like 5

On 6/4/2024 at 3:44 PM, vickiespencer said:

@Kesha My most significant issue is people who contact me asking to work for me. They do so on the gigs I am charged over $1.00 per click to promote. I have grown so disgusted with this issue that I have canceled promoting except to pay $0.05 per click because I am sick of losing money to these beggars. Is Fiverr doing anything to deal with this issue? If I contact CS, would I get a refund for such messages?  

It is making me question promoted gigs too - receive a lot of spam messages and and like you, not keen on spending over a $1 for each one of these.

• Like 6

Guest deng112

Whether this is a scam or not

有人给我发了一条消息,说我需要验证我的帐户才能接受订单并给我发送条形码,

我截屏,在截图的右上角,他/她提供了条形码作为新人,我想验证这是否是骗局?
演出结束后,我还需要验证自己吗?去哪里?我找不到需要进行验证的通知

[Translation via Google]

Someone sent me a message saying I need to verify my account to take orders and send me a barcode,

I took a screenshot and in the upper right corner of the screenshot he/she provided the barcode as a new person, I want to verify if this is a scam?
After the show, do I still need to verify myself? Where to go? I can't find the notification that I need to do the verification

微信图片_20240716201947.png

微信图片_20240716201928.jpg

Hi there, I recommend reading our Terms of Service, Payment Terms and Community Standards to learn more about how Fiverr works. You'll also see a step-by-step process of order placement, which will confirm that the message above is a scam. Please report the user to our Customer Support team, and they'll get blocked form the platform. Good luck 🍀

• Like 8

It's a scammer. Avoid opening suspicious links, QR codes, or files from unknown senders. Remember, Fiverr team members/staff will never ask you for payments, passwords, or private information through direct messages. In my 4 years on Fiverr journey, I've encountered numerous scammers. If you know how Fiverr works, it will help identify scammers. Just report this user, your account will not be affected.

• Like 6

I have been on Fiverr for a little or more than 3 years, which is why I had decided to recommend it to many of my friends, university classmates, and I am currently teaching entrepreneurship classes where I give my students classes on how to create a profile on Fiverr, such as closing your first sale, the do's and don'ts.

The point is, I have recently come across several messages from my students saying that there are a series of people who are looking to scam them within the Fiverr platform itself, something that has never happened to me and I think it is only happening with the new people who come to the platform because of course, these types of malicious people believe that since they are new, they are easy prey. And it worries me because I don't know what Fiverr is doing about it, I have seen some cases where there are people who use the nickname "Fiverr's_customer_service" or even the Fiverr's Logo image, and there are students who believe that Fiverr was writing to them. I believe that Fiverr should prohibit a user from using the same company name as their own, even more so, words like "customer_service" or its derivatives. I explained that they be carefully with this kind of messages.

For now while this is resolved, my best recommendation for new users is to be suspicious of messages that appear in your inbox where they try, or pretend to be, people who come from Fiverr customer service support, do not open any links, or provide your banking information. You have to be very careful with these unscrupulous people.

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-07-17 a las 10.06.23_e2fe20d2.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-07-17 a las 10.06.23_e4c3f931.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-07-17 a las 10.06.23_fcc38818.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-07-17 a las 11.03.26_6d532dd6.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-07-17 a las 11.02.15_2be91eb7.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-07-17 a las 10.59.22_a6c756a3.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-07-17 a las 11.00.11_107cb553.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-07-17 a las 10.54.05_227654b7.jpg

Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-07-17 a las 10.53.37_d1b581cc.jpg

• Like 4

Hey there @melcaia 

18 hours ago, melcaia said:

I believe that Fiverr should prohibit a user from using the same company name as their own, even more so, words like "customer_service" or its derivatives.

Thank you for your suggestions. You'll be glad to know that we have already restricted many such words and added new ones as they appear. We are aware of this issue are are working actively on resolving it. That is why we appreciate the help and suggestions from our Community Members. If you run across any new words, please tag me or send me a message and I'll add it to the list. 

In addition, to your valuable advice, I would also like to add that we strongly recommend not opening suspicious links, QR codes, or files from senders you have not contacted directly. Fiverr will never contact you via inbox to request payments, passwords, or private information.

Thank you so much!

• Like 6

Hi Sellers,
Yesterday when I published my new gig on Fiverr. After a while I received a Message from Fiverr_Help saying that we have purchased your gig for 5 dollars here is the link to add your account details to get your money for your gig. I checked the Profile it was from Brazil and it wasn't showing anything else. Firstly I got confused due to the name and the profile pic which was the Fiverr logo. But after looking for more details. I realized that it was a scam and I Immediately reported the user and the messages to the fiverr. So be careful and don't get excited if you receive any random chat from similar Fiverr name accounts.
Regards

• Like 6

7 hours ago, rawalkhan1917 said:

Hi Sellers,
Yesterday when I published my new gig on Fiverr. After a while I received a Message from Fiverr_Help saying that we have purchased your gig for 5 dollars here is the link to add your account details to get your money for your gig. I checked the Profile it was from Brazil and it wasn't showing anything else. Firstly I got confused due to the name and the profile pic which was the Fiverr logo. But after looking for more details. I realized that it was a scam and I Immediately reported the user and the messages to the fiverr. So be careful and don't get excited if you receive any random chat from similar Fiverr name accounts.
Regards

Hi @rawalkhan1917, glad to read you didn't fall for this scam. I recommend reading our ToS, you'll learn more about Fiverr works, how to recognize a legit order, and what to avoid. Also, if you have any dilemmas, feel free to post them here or contact the CS team. Good luck 🍀

• Like 6
  • Support 1

17 hours ago, rawalkhan1917 said:

Hi Sellers,
Regards

Hey even I got a similar message. The profile picture was of fiverr logo but in yellow colour. I reported that message immediately. 

Thanks for sharing this here so that everybody can be aware of such scammers. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

We’ve noticed that some clients on Fiverr are sending messages asking to redirect to external sites (like X) for placing orders, rather than using the Fiverr platform.

What are the best practices for handling such requests? How can we encourage clients to place orders directly through Fiverr and prevent them from redirecting to other sites?

Any advice or strategies would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

• Like 5

sorpresas

Estoy leyendo a diferentes usuarios y veo que estamos expuestos

en un océano de estafas 

[Translation via Google]

surprises

I am reading different users and I see that we are exposed

in an ocean of scams

Edited by luco197776
  • Like 5