What is Fiverr Mate?

shuvo_va

Question

18 answers to this question

It's an extension that Fiverr hasn't approved. It might be risky using it, due to how it allows copying (of info from gigs for use in seller's own gigs or rewording descriptions (I think using AI, that might not be from their own content) for use in their own gigs or copying other people's gig images (which probably isn't allowed by Fiverr))/how it works.

I'd check with Fiverr staff if you were thinking of using since you might get in trouble if you use it and they disagree with it.

Maybe staff on the forum such as @Lena or other staff can give an official statement about it and whether it's okay to use on Fiverr.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, uk1000 said:

It's an extension that Fiverr hasn't approved. It might be risky using it, due to how it allows copying (of info from gigs for use in seller's own gigs or rewording descriptions (I think using AI, that might not be from their own content) for use in their own gigs or copying other people's gig images (which probably isn't allowed by Fiverr))/how it works.

I'd check with Fiverr staff if you were thinking of using since you might get in trouble if you use it and they disagree with it.

Maybe staff on the forum such as @Lena or other staff can give an official statement about it and whether it's okay to use on Fiverr.

I'm confusing. This notification also showing in my Fiverr profile as well as Forum profile. The notification is not avoidable. Should I register this Fiverr Mate?

Expecting Kesha or any other staff statement about this feature..

Screenshot_2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Up 2

52 minutes ago, shuvo_va said:

I'm confusing. This notification also showing in my Fiverr profile as well as Forum profile. The notification is not avoidable. Should I register this Fiverr Mate?

Did you install any recent extensions with Fiverr in the name? Maybe that could be it (so it could be running the free version of the Fiverr Mate browser extension)  - if you're using Chrome go to the "manage extensions" menu and check. Unless it's just an Ad for it.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 5
  • Up 1

34 minutes ago, shuvo_va said:

Are you sure you're logged to Fiverr and not to a fake site?

This is what I see:

1.jpg.2bd9a9ec4699b9f13e0c9e4be752854d.jpg

2. As a seller:

2.jpg.be1ab28cc2c70d622072cc3f882f569f.jpg

3. Forum:

3.jpg.b934949faf6459e2411ea039c43437d6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Up 3

Mmm, the reviews are a bit of a mixed bag, aren't they? I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Speaking of dodgy things, I was looking at IFTT the other week and there were LOADS of Fiverr "automations". Anyway, I asked CS if any of them were Fiverr's/Fiverr approved etc. Several confusing template replies  and clarifications later, I was told to reach out to IFTT (I couldn't be bothered).  

My guess is it's all very use at your own risk and if something bad happens, too bad. Here's the final msg from that convo:

image.png.1de12cb410b743a7dba7ad74a0148587.png

Edited by emmaki
added cs reply about ... something near the ballpark of this conversation
  • Like 3
  • Up 3

1 hour ago, maitasun said:

Are you sure you're logged to Fiverr and not to a fake site?

I am sure. It showing still now on my seller profile. There is not option to cancel this popup.

• Like 2
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, catwriter said:

@uk1000 told you that Fiverr didn't approve this extension, and that it's risky, and yet you are asking if you should register?

Thanks for your reply. I understand it's risky. But my question is why it showing up in my seller profile if it's not approved by Fiverr? I am worried. Is it hacked my profile as malware.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, shuvo_va said:

I am sure. It showing still now on my seller profile. There is not option to cancel this popup.

Did you read UK's post about installing any extensions? 👇

2 hours ago, uk1000 said:

Did you install any recent extensions with Fiverr in the name? Maybe that could be it (so it could be running the free version of the Fiverr Mate browser extension)  - if you're using Chrome go to the "manage extensions" menu and check.

Edited by maitasun
  • Like 3
  • Up 3

2 minutes ago, shuvo_va said:

I understand it's risky. But my question is

2 hours ago, shuvo_va said:

Should I register this Fiverr Mate?

That's what you asked.

3 minutes ago, shuvo_va said:

why it showing up in my seller profile if it's not approved by Fiverr?

Because you clicked on something you shouldn't have? None of the rest of us have it showing anywhere.

And @uk1000 told you what to do: check your extensions on Chrome.

• Like 2
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, shuvo_va said:

Thanks you all. It's solved by removing a chrome extension.. Some how a chrome extension installed. 

Things can simply be figured by paying attention to 'what's written' - on the extension/website or even reply from a fellow seller guiding you. 

If we keep jumping to conclusions without paying attention to details, it kinda wastes time of other people who get involved in the conversation (like it happened here). 

• Like 1
  • Up 5

Also I did ask Fiverr Customer Support 6 months ago about the Fiverr Mate extension and this is what the support person said then:

I understand that you wish to confirm if the Chrome Extension Fiverr Mate is against our guidelines.

Any extension that provides a service such as that one harms the Fiverr platform, so I would not recommend it.

I hope this information helps. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with. 

So at the time they said "so I would not recommend it" but they could have been clearer about if it was or was not against Fiverr TOS/rules to use. Ideally Fiverr could still give an official answer about it, maybe on the forum or main site somewhere (more clearly than the existing TOS sections).

Edited by uk1000
  • Up 2

The community standards does have a thing about scraping in it: 

image.png.3fee8c0adccf794f4f61377d673bec05.png

Perhaps this also (very loosely) covers scraping of the listings since the extension does "obtain information about others" even if it is all public data. 

Memo to Fiverr staff: "e.g.", not "ex." Hire a proofreader or competent writer for your stuff already. 

image.png.781cd5dcdab56b06e51228978dee8605.png

• Like 2
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, emmaki said:

The community standards does have a thing about scraping in it: 

That's about offering services on Fiverr related to that though.

Fiverr does say on the TOS page in 8.6 Proprietary Restrictions section

[to not] use any robot, spider, crawlers or other automatic device, process, software or queries that intercepts, “mines,” scrapes or otherwise accesses the Site to monitor, extract, copy or collect information or data from or through the Site, or engage in any manual process to do the same, (viii) introduce any viruses, trojan horses, worms, logic bombs or other materials that are malicious or technologically harmful into our systems, (ix) use the Site in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden or impair the Site, or interfere with any other users’ enjoyment of the Site or (x) access or use the Site in any way not expressly permitted by these Terms of Service. Users also agree not to permit or authorize anyone else to do any of the foregoing.

Maybe that could cover it but it's sort of a general thing. It could exclude Google's web crawler and all other site's search engine web crawlers if they stuck to that. It could exclude the ChatGPT type web crawlers (and Fiverr use ChatGPT) if they stuck to those rules exactly. So they want search engines to index (which would include scraping) the site but they don't put exceptions from their rules above for things like that. If search engines etc. stuck exactly to Fiverr's rules above there'd be no Fiverr site pages indexed in their search indexes or in ChatGPT or other AIs etc.

So still I think it would help if a Fiverr staff member could give a notice somewhere saying yes or no if it's allowed to use that extension based on the Fiverr rules.

Maybe there could be some exceptions (which they could put in the TOS). eg. If someone uses perplexity.ai (or some other AI) and posts a link to a Fiverr page in their prompt to ask a question about that page, would that technically be against Fiverr's general "not allowed" stuff in that quote above, since the AI (such as perplexity.ai) would then read the page, scrape it's content and then use that to help it give the answer. The same if someone gave a link to the page in Google Translate to try to view the page in their language, that would do something similar.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 2

Not necessarily, your robots txt (here's Fiverr's, which has some interesting things in it) can exclude a lot of bots but leave the door open for Google and other search engines. It's more a question of whether the bots /programmers respect that request. 

But yes, Fiverr should have a more clear response about this somewhere easy to find - perhaps a blacklist of extensions and websites (e.g. that sc*mmers use) that could be updated regularly. It wouldn't be that hard to automate based on complaints/CS tickets. 

AI is next to useless when discussing specifics of Fiverr, as we saw from that staff post about Fiverr levels the other day 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Up 4

Maybe staff here could give a definitive answer.

@milos_siena

Do the Fiverr rules (TOS etc) allow use of the Fiverr Mate browser extension or not?

Since it claims to help people rank gigs but also allows users to copy stuff like gig images etc.

6 months ago CS wrote this about it, saying they didn't recommend it (but not whether it violated any Fiverr rule):

I understand that you wish to confirm if the Chrome Extension Fiverr Mate is against our guidelines.

Any extension that provides a service such as that one harms the Fiverr platform, so I would not recommend it.

I hope this information helps. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with. 

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 2