Dealing with low price requests

charlsmcfarlane

Question

Can anyone share any advice for politely responding when a buyer gets in touch asking for a job to be done at a significantly lower price than what’s advertised on the gig?

Flexibility is one thing, but I had someone recently ask for what is included in my middle package, for 35% the price advertised – so they wanted a 65% discount!

I usually try and make suggestions for how they can get more value with me — for example, taking advantage of the discounts I offer through the subscriptions feature.

Can anyone share any other strategies for dealing with these situations?

Ideally, it would be great to find a way to work with them, in a way that satisfies both our budgets.

• Like 4

5 answers to this question

Because this is Fiverr, with its magical and mystical approaches as well as outcomes, I don't offer anything other than a polite farewell and assurance that the right seller for them is out there in this vast sea of freelancers.

Edited by mandyzines
  • Like 2

Recently, I had something unusual happen. For months, nobody tried to lower my fees, but then, suddenly, three different people asked me for a discount on the same day (On days like this, I read my horoscope). I told each of them that I don't offer discounts and that my prices are clearly stated and non-negotiable. One person even argued with me about an extra 5.5% service fee charged by Fiverr, claiming I was lying about my prices.

Despite explaining my stance, all three kept pushing for a lower price. One of them tried to persuade me by saying they'd hire me immediately if I accepted their offered amount. I had to firmly tell them that it seemed like they didn't value my work, so I couldn't take on their projects.

They all reacted with surprise. One respected me for it... "but...", another said that negotiating was just normal behavior, and the third pleaded, mentioning how much time I'd spent consulting with him for free (my effort going to waste). I do provide a lot of pre-sale consultation without charge, which builds a strong trust between me and my clients. They know I'm a professional who doesn't pressure them into buying anything.

Ultimately, almost immediately after I declined to work with them, all three clients offered to pay my full rates. Nevertheless, I felt compelled to decline their offers. The need to repeatedly reinforce my pricing policy suggested an undervaluation of my professional services. Even though they were ready to proceed at my standard fees, the prolonged negotiations earlier raised concerns about our potential working relationship. I also worried it might harm my stats/algorithm if they rated me 3/5 for "value for money." Honestly, even without the potential review issues or facing this new challenge, I would have still refused their projects. It makes me wonder, am I difficult to work with, or am I just upholding my values? (To be frank, my mindset was very different when I was a "new and level one seller.")

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, strategist_ceo said:

I would have still refused their projects. It makes me wonder, am I difficult to work with, or am I just upholding my values?

I think your approach is the right one. I’ve almost always found that a buyer that’s difficult before the order starts, is difficult throughout.

• Like 1

The one I know have habit of discount, I charge them extra {X}% even more.

Such that, even if they ask for discount, it would reduce to exactly what i want it to be. lol

Some are cheap, not budget wise, but support and demand wise within order...

So they need to be charged more as well.

Oh another famous joke at this moment: "this is longterm work"  😅

• Like 1