New scam attempt (sophisticated)

visualstudios

They're becoming desperate enough to contact even sellers who have been on Fiverr for ages... Just got a similar message, but Fiverr already caught it and blocked that user.

@Lena, I don't know if Fiverr is now preventing these scammers from putting "Fiverr" in their display name; either way, now they call themselves just "Support". Considering that "Support" is unlikely to be anyone's actual name (unless their parents were super-weird), perhaps not allowing that one as a display name might help?

• Like 5
  • Up 3

53 minutes ago, katakatica said:

Some have definitely looked a lot more convincing! 

It's crazy though - this is like the 5th BE CAREFUL post on this and YET several people seem to fall for this every single day. 

Thank you for trying to raise awareness! We've discussed it before but the more posts on it the better. It's pretty awful (and some people might not realise it!)

I figured as much. It's crazy how often people fall for this kinda things. Saving at least one person is a win!

1 minute ago, catwriter said:

They're becoming desperate enough to contact even sellers who have been on Fiverr for ages... Just got a similar message, but Fiverr already caught it and blocked that user.

@Lena, I don't know if Fiverr is now preventing these scammers from putting "Fiverr" in their display name; either way, now they call themselves just "Support". Considering that "Support" is unlikely to be anyone's actual name (unless their parents were super-weird), perhaps not allowing that one as a display name might help?

They're pretty good at keeping these guys at bay from what I've experienced so far. I've literally had a scammer message me and get insta banned (which was pretty impressive)

I felt the same way. Usually platforms restrict users being able to use display names like "admin" "support" etc. Unfortunately a few of these guys would slip through the cracks.

• Like 5
  • Up 2

I received a message supposedly from Fiverr support... giving me a link to copy and paste into my browser. Obviously, I won't do it, but isn't there any control over the accounts or users that are created? It shouldn't include keywords like Fiverr in my opinion.

image.png.916e1cfb188f7efed28b28419081d946.png

• Like 13

1 hour ago, catwriter said:

That's exactly what I'm wondering, it seems Fiverrs is not doing user names validation or scanning possible scam keywords. I just got a similar message from "Fiverr's Support"

• Like 6

11 hours ago, jess_padillaa said:

Obviously, I won't do it, but isn't there any control over the accounts or users that are created? It shouldn't include keywords like Fiverr in my opinion.

We've been complaining about it for months...

• Like 10
  • Up 2

14 hours ago, catwriter said:

Hey @catwriter 

We have been trying to find a solution for this issue for a while now. Here is the biggest problem - usernames are unique, they can only be used once; display names don't have that rule and can be changed. Believe me when I tell you that we are well aware of the problem and that we trying to fix it asap. 

• Like 6
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2024 at 12:08 AM, john_carhartnyc said:

Everytime I reach out to support and presented with Graphic that I need to verify by using the QR code attached. Several times, it didn't work and then it sent me to verification page where I needed to use my credit card to verify and all my cards were declined and I was told I need to open a REVOLUT account and then deposit $300 and then it was quickly deleted out of my account after THE SUPPORT PERSON in the text window said CLICK to verify the account. Again they asked me to deposit more money and then they would REFUND the TEST money....again they took money out. THIS IS INSANITY and NO ONE IN support with help. They again force me to use the QR code.

IS FIVERR just one big scam???

This experience is unfortunately common, but taking some steps can help mitigate the damage and prevent future occurrences. Fiverr itself is not a scam, but like any platform, it can be targeted by scammers. Always verify communications and transactions through official channels and remain cautious when dealing with unfamiliar or suspicious requests.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, catwriter said:

We've been complaining about it for months...

I have noticed that they are changing the script relatively frequently - which might be why it's tricky... Still, people should not be able to have SUPPORT in their name (and the Fiverr logo in their profile...)

What's scary is how many people still seem to fall for it despite everything. I don't think he TOS is enough to inform people (it - should - be) but I really think there should be more articles on the main site about scams like this... 

• Like 10
  • Up 2

8 hours ago, Lena said:

We have been trying to find a solution for this issue for a while now. Here is the biggest problem - usernames are unique, they can only be used once; display names don't have that rule and can be changed. Believe me when I tell you that we are well aware of the problem and that we trying to fix it asap. 

Could you - technically - have rules for display names? (Unless it's an agency or pro account?) Like having to show quick proof of it being your name when you set them up or something? I know that from the buyer side this could be annoying, but it's definitely worrisome that scammers can make (seemingly) hundreds of accounts claiming to be from Support. 

I don't mind display names (nice for people to know our first names and vice versa) but I think spam has gotten worse since they were implemented, just because, well...  they only need to pretend to be Fiverr for half an hour to scam some poor new sellers (and then they can go again.)

I think we've also mentioned just sending out a message (or having a pop-up in the inbox) about this issue could help? I don't know if it really would (I don't always read popups either!) But it could be useful? 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, katakatica said:

Could you - technically - have rules for display names? (Unless it's an agency or pro account?) Like having to show quick proof of it being your name when you set them up or something? I know that from the buyer side this could be annoying, but it's definitely worrisome that scammers can make (seemingly) hundreds of accounts claiming to be from Support. 

I don't mind display names (nice for people to know our first names and vice versa) but I think spam has gotten worse since they were implemented, just because, well...  they only need to pretend to be Fiverr for half an hour to scam some poor new sellers (and then they can go again.)

I think we've also mentioned just sending out a message (or having a pop-up in the inbox) about this issue could help? I don't know if it really would (I don't always read popups either!) But it could be useful? 

Thank you @katakatica for sharing your concerns about display names and the potential for misuse by scammers.

Implementing stricter rules for display names, like verification, could help moderate these issues. It might be inconvenient to some users initially, but it could enhance safety. We have discussed pop-ups but like you said not everyone reads pop-ups, so it minimizes our chances to raise awareness among users. I'll share your valuable suggestions with our team. If you have any more ideas or concerns, feel free to share them with me by sending me a message. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Lena said:

Implementing stricter rules for display names, like verification, could help moderate these issues. It might be inconvenient to some users initially

I'm using a nickname, not my actual name, and I'm pretty certain that there are many users not using their actual name (without trying to scam anyone), so yes, it might be inconvenient. 🙂 Not to mention confusing to buyers if they see that I'm mentioned under one name in previous reviews, and suddenly they see another name.

Isn't it possible to make it impossible to use certain words as display names? I know that Facebook does it (for example, I know for a fact that you can't use "Psycho" as your name on Facebook), and @creative_howl mentioned platforms that don't let users use display names like "admin" or "support".

• Like 6
  • Up 1

7 minutes ago, catwriter said:

Isn't it possible to make it impossible to use certain words as display names? I know that Facebook does it (for example, I know for a fact that you can't use "Psycho" as your name on Facebook), and @creative_howl mentioned platforms that don't let users use display names like "admin" or "support".

Exactly. Fiverr can simply blacklist certain words—and the more, the merrier—so they can't be used in usernames or display names.

• Like 5
  • Up 3

23 minutes ago, catwriter said:

I'm using a nickname, not my actual name, and I'm pretty certain that there are many users not using their actual name (without trying to scam anyone), so yes, it might be inconvenient. 🙂 Not to mention confusing to buyers if they see that I'm mentioned under one name in previous reviews, and suddenly they see another name.

I think this should be the proper balance. Have blacklisted display names that are likely to be used by scammers. They can monitor reports over time and add more words to strengthen security.

• Like 5
  • Up 1

I received the following via noreply@e.fiverr.com

fiverr_logo.png

2 new messages for you

Hi ollieann,

Support(@syedjaffa) sent you messages and we put them all here for you

🎉C𝚘𝚗𝚐𝚛𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜 ollieann! 🎉Y𝚘𝚞𝚛 " plan, develop, manage, monitor, evaluate your project " 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚙𝚞𝚛𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚜𝚎𝚍 𝚋𝚢 𝚊 𝚞𝚜𝚎𝚛 𝚘𝚏 𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚠𝚎𝚋𝚜𝚒𝚝𝚎. 𝚠𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚊𝚕𝚜𝚘 𝚙𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚒𝚗𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚖 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚠𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊 𝚜𝚢𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚖 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚖𝚊𝚗𝚞𝚊𝚕 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚒𝚏𝚒𝚌𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚘𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚜𝚎𝚛𝚟𝚒𝚌𝚎 𝚙𝚞𝚛𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚜𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚏𝚛𝚊𝚞𝚍 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚏𝚊𝚌𝚒𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚖𝚞𝚗𝚒𝚌𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚞𝚢𝚎𝚛.📌 O𝚛𝚍𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚖𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗: https://fiverr%2Eid906571%2Ecom/order/46017322 💳 P𝚊𝚢𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚍: MasterCard 🔎 P𝚊𝚢𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚑𝚊𝚜 𝚋𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚖𝚊𝚍𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚜 𝚙𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐. 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚜𝚊𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗, 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚖𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚌𝚘𝚙𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚔 𝚋𝚎𝚕𝚘𝚠 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚙𝚊𝚜𝚝𝚎 𝚒𝚝 𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚘 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚋𝚛𝚘𝚠𝚜𝚎𝚛. 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚌𝚎𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚙𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚜𝚊𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚛𝚎𝚌𝚎𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚢𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝.📝 A𝚗𝚍 𝚛𝚎𝚖𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛, 𝚗𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚕𝚘𝚐 𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚘 𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚒𝚗𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚗𝚝 𝚖𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚎𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚟𝚒𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝚘𝚛 𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝𝚜𝚊𝚙𝚙. 𝚘𝚗𝚕𝚢 𝚜𝚌𝚊𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚛𝚎𝚚𝚞𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚒𝚗𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚖𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗. 𝚔𝚎𝚎𝚙 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚐𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚘𝚗 𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚙𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚖. 🙅♂🚫𝚙.𝚜. T𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚖𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚊𝚐𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚊𝚞𝚝𝚘𝚖𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚌𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚊𝚙𝚙𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚞𝚢𝚎𝚛 𝚊𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚙𝚊𝚢𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚜𝚎𝚛𝚟𝚒𝚌𝚎. 𝚙𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚎 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚒𝚐𝚗𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜. 𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚎𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚢, 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚏𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚛. 😊

So although I like to think I'm pretty savvy and scam-aware, I saw the Fiverr email then the word 'support@' and as this is all new to me I started the process. The link takes you to your own page with a button to 'Get funds'. This takes you to a page which looks authentic and similar to banking apps to complete your banking details. However I did question the viability of this and didn't complete all the information. However, I completed enough for them attempt to remove funds from my account. Fortunately, my bank are very fraud-aware, sent me a fraud message and I confirmed this was not an authorised transaction. I have alerted Fiverr and am awaiting a response.

To be clear, I didn't expect funds to be transferred prior to work being undertaken. I questioned this initially. I assumed the funds would be held as pending until the work was completed. I hadn't previously provided any banking information so I made an incorrect assumption that this triggered on receipt of your first order.

Please be aware. It's the first time I've almost been scammed and I can see why others would fall for it. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, aamirhussain906 said:

I also recieve this message from and he told me that he had just made a payment and he will share the details in couple of hours. It is requested to fiverr, kindly block the scammers. Thank you

Kindly report that buyer immediately and avoid providing any personal or bank/payment details to anyone on Fiverr. It's a scam. Fiverr can take an action against that account only if you report it.

• Like 1

1. Hi This is Bilal here, my profile is new and todays i create and gig and published after 2 hours i receive a message from fiver your account is at risk fiverr sent me a picture and ask me to screenshot the image and scan the QR code after i scanned the link is about "The account is suspended to restore your account please verify your bank card detail. is it necessary to add bank card detail right now ? is everything ok ? 
Edited by aleebilal
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, aleebilal said:
  1. Hi This is Bilal here, my profile is new and todays i create and gig and published after 2 hours i receive a message from fiver your account is at risk fiverr sent me a picture and ask me to screenshot the image and scan the QR code after i scanned the link is about "The account is suspended to restore your account please verify your bank card detail. is it necessary to add bank card detail right now ? is everything ok ? 

its a scam, dont do that 

• Like 1

I almost had the same experience. The person chatting me advised that my card needs to have a certain amount. They then asked for my card number, CVV, expiration date, and OTP. I felt awkward as they were giving me pressure with time when I told them that I need to verify this "so-called" verification process. Told them that I am verifying this process with Fiverr community chat group and they advised that I have a minute left to enter the OTP. Seriously?

• Like 1

I was about to fall for this too, when I received the email wich makes it seem more legit. Thank god I found this forum page before it got too late I see how easily anyone would fall for this. Be safe everyone ^^

image.png.1d399d87a6530297d6bd18214bf1142e.png

• Like 6
  • Up 1

Hi i am a new seller here, trying to get started with my very first order. 
I got this message from an account called "technical support"

Can't figure out whether its a spam or not (most likely it is) 

Its asking me to click on a link and complete the order process.

image.png.ef537415f746b1e9603538a36e982245.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 2