New scam attempt (sophisticated)

visualstudios

On 6/24/2024 at 2:41 PM, Lena said:

We have applied a policy prohibiting the use of the words "Fiverr" or "Support" in any part of the username or display name.

Is it currently checking the display name entered to check it's not got "Fiverr" or "Support" in it when they enter something in the display name field and preventing them continuing to save it with that display name?

Is it checking in all places that the display name can be entered/changed (the browser version as well as the app version) and preventing it being saved with that display name?

Or is it only a rule added to the TOS and it's not actually making it impossible to enter in the display name field? If so it should be stopping people entering it I think to prevent these scams.

Some people are still getting scammed. See:

That's by a user with "Support Fiverr" in their display name, with the scam done yesterday (26th June 2024) - days after the policy prohibiting "Fiverr" and "Support" in the display name was added.

So it seems like either the system is currently allowing them to enter "Support" and "Fiverr" in their display name still or they're using old accounts that were set with a "Support Fiverr" display name before any validation checks were put in place - in which case Fiverr could search for all existing users with "Support Fiverr" in their display name and flag the accounts so their accounts can't be used (at least until manually checked). Some might be from hacked normal accounts.

The user in that scam post is also using the Fiverr logo as their profile image (even though the colours/brightness are a bit different) - that's something else people might be misled by so it's something Fiverr could try to prevent too.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, md_minhaj_raju said:

This happened to all new user, why fiverr don't take action? 

They said they prohibited people from putting "Fiver" or "Support" in their display name:

but the scam message in the original post from 26th June 2024 has "Support Fiverr" in it. So either it's still possible to enter "Support" or "Fiverr" in the display name (either on the browser or app version) or they're old accounts that Fiverr hasn't searched for and suspended/banned yet (and hasn't yet decided to, even though they should).

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I have been a buyer for a while. I decided to become a seller and created a gig. Yesterday eve I received a message from the order bot. Great, I click on the link, and it asks for payment information. Only credit cards are available. Paypal is greyed out. I have no credit cards (and no debt) and my debit cards are a very low balance. The job is for $95 and it needs 150.

So what can I do?  I cannot contact the buyer. [___________ can no longer be contacted. This will not affect your response rate. ]

I tried the chat bot but no one is there for hours.

As a buyer I always use paypal.

I don't know what to do.  I have paused my gig.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, joeinmi said:

I have been a buyer for a while. I decided to become a seller and created a gig. Yesterday eve I received a message from the order bot. Great, I click on the link, and it asks for payment information. Only credit cards are available. Paypal is greyed out. I have no credit cards (and no debt) and my debit cards are a very low balance. The job is for $95 and it needs 150.

So what can I do?  I cannot contact the buyer. [___________ can no longer be contacted. This will not affect your response rate. ]

I tried the chat bot but no one is there for hours.

As a buyer I always use paypal.

I don't know what to do.  I have paused my gig.

this is a scam. You don't need a credit card to sell your services
You receive orders directly from buyers and will be notified that you have received an order, or you send a custom offer in the private chat and the buyer accepts it. there are no other ways

• Like 7

Set up a Gig and within 48 hours, received the following from something called "OrderBot":

Great news! You have a new order for your service "write and create content that grows companies"! 🎉 To start working and accept the payment, please click on the link below. Your client is eagerly awaiting your response! 🕒💚 Make sure to confirm your order within 24 hours to avoid any penalties or a drop in your rating. 🌟 Upon confirmation, you'll be recognized as a "Verified Freelancer," which will enable you to view and accept orders seamlessly and without delay. 🥇 Thanks for your prompt attention! The Fiverr team 💚 is always here to support you. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us. 💌💚 Best regards, The Fiverr Team 💚fiverr ss.png

And then a link is given to click to "receive" the order. 

Being new to fiverr, this seems like an obvious phishing scam, but curious to see if this is a widespread issue with other Sellers having experienced something similar. 

Have not submitted anything at this link, tho it takes me to a page that says what the client is "paying" and that I should submit my credit card details to receive it. 

Thoughts? Consensus?

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, scopywriting said:

Being new to fiverr, this seems like an obvious phishing scam, but curious to see if this is a widespread issue with other Sellers having experienced something similar. 

Quite a lot of sellers on the forum have said they received something like that I think. It will be mostly when sellers create a new gig and probably when they're new sellers with no existing reviews (so would be more likely to fall for the scam as they've not had previous orders to see how it's supposed to work). You can see the fake site is actually called "order810961.com" and it's definitely not Fiverr, they've just put "Fiverr." at the start of the URL.

Looking at the domain info that site was only registered on the 25/06/2024  - a couple of days ago. Maybe they only have a short time until the site gets reported & banned and they'll probably then use a different site with a different order number in the domain name.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 8

On 6/24/2024 at 11:24 AM, jaysbparker said:

I've just fallen foul to this.

I'm new to Fiverr, as of yesterday. I'm keen to develop my freelance work, and offer my skills out to the Fiverr community, much like we all are.

I received contact from "Support Fiverr", asking me to verify my account. Being in a hyper focussed mode and aiming to get things up and running, complied, to the tune of £245.

I was "told" the £245 was the amount of money that was required for this verification. I sent it, and it was returned to me. I'm thinking "verification has failed". I sent it again, them only was not returned.

I slept on it, and woke up. The transaction was taken via Remitly, and obviously my bank. I alerted the bank within 12 hours of the money being taken, along with Remitly and Fiverr.

I'm feeling pretty foolish right now - I'm usually extremely vigilant about stuff like this. In hindsight, I can't believe I just went along with it.

I hear what a few of you on here are saying - why on earth do Fiverr allow users to create accounts with the words "Fiverr" and "Support" together?

It's a bitter start to this part of my career. However, I'll either end up grateful to my bank and Remitly for recovering the money, or I'll have spent £245 on a powerful lesson.

Has anyone affected successfully claimed their money back?

i lost more than 200 hard earned euro. I am leaving this ignorant platform, where users already mention a scam occur to new sellers but did not take any action?

• Like 8

Hello everyone,I am new to this Fiverr stuff. I received this message from my inbox saying that a customer has bought one of my services. There's no notifications on my orders tab so I assume this is a new scam? If you click on the link, this is what shows up as shown in the second picture. 

scam 1.PNG

scam 2.PNG

• Like 5

I am a new user. Until now I have got 3 spam messages of similar types. Can anyone help how tp block and report such spam messages. How to identify if it is a spam message or real order?

• Like 8

13 hours ago, swatcreate said:

I am a new user. Until now I have got 3 spam messages of similar types. Can anyone help how tp block and report such spam messages. How to identify if it is a spam message or real order?

Actually I am not angry with the scammers though i lost my money.

but my question is from fiver as they did not consider to reply my support ticket.

to remind you this platform is running on ripping the income of hardworking people. 

• Like 7

your message looks more like a scam even a new comer may understand it as a scam

How i receive my message, was from scammer Support Fiver and at a time just i created my first gig, to ask me verify my account.

• Like 6

I'm getting those messages from morning since I posted a new gig,
As I know fiverr isn't coming up with solution, Now I think we need to tell them what to do now

JUST PUT A NOTIFYING POP-UP (that's it)

It's not that much hard to put a notification by saying "Fiverr never asks money in inboxes stay away from scams" and keep hunting if you're hunting them so

• Like 6

2 hours ago, muneebwasikhan said:

I'm getting those messages from morning since I posted a new gig,
As I know fiverr isn't coming up with solution, Now I think we need to tell them what to do now

JUST PUT A NOTIFYING POP-UP (that's it)

It's not that much hard to put a notification by saying "Fiverr never asks money in inboxes stay away from scams" and keep hunting if you're hunting them so

It is not that hard to just block Support Fiver username from registering with a one line database query.

but what i think fiver ignorant staff is enjoying on commissions of hardworking thousands of freelancer who work day and night.

They will not consider to reply to your support ticket thats why i delete my account from fiver.

IMG_20240702_064311.jpg

• Like 6
  • Up 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, murtaza4 said:

but what i think fiver ignorant staff is enjoying on commissions of hardworking thousands of freelancer who work day and night.

Though Fiverr aren't earning commissions on the losses of Fiverr sellers due to the buyers who put "Support Fiverr" in their display name and give a fake link to a Fiverr-like page where they take money out of their account off-Fiverr. And if those who get scamed will probably be less likely to want to stay on Fiverr (so Fiverr may lose out).

Fiverr said they've changed their policy to disallow "Fiverr" or "Support" being put into display names/usernames but they don't seem to have done anything coding-wise to actually prevent people doing it (since  more users have done it days after they put that policy in place). And they've not done anything about the existing users with display names like that (as far as I know).

6 hours ago, murtaza4 said:

It is not that hard to just block Support Fiver username from registering with a one line database query.

I agree. Though it's the "display name" not usually the username that they usually put "Fiverr" in to scam. So a very short bit of code could just be added (and I showed staff a bit of code that could be used - or something similar), but if the scams are still happening with the same display name then it shows they've not done anything like that, months after they were first told about the scams, that users are losing hundreds of $ on.

Though not all the scammers using the QR code scam are using display names with "Fiverr" or "Support" in them so they should do more things to stop the QR code scams (such as checking for those images being sent like I suggested a long time ago).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, uk1000 said:

Though Fiverr aren't earning commissions on the losses of Fiverr sellers due to the buyers who put "Support Fiverr" in their display name and give a fake link to a Fiverr-like page where they take money out of their account off-Fiverr. And if those who get scamed will probably be less likely to want to stay on Fiverr (so Fiverr may lose out).

Fiverr said they've changed their policy to disallow "Fiverr" or "Support" being put into display names/usernames but they don't seem to have done anything coding-wise to actually prevent people doing it (since  more users have done it days after they put that policy in place). And they've not done anything about the existing users with display names like that (as far as I know).

I agree. Though it's the "display name" not usually the username that they usually put "Fiverr" in to scam. So a very short bit of code could just be added (and I showed staff a bit of code that could be used - or something similar), but if the scams are still happening with the same display name then it shows they've not done anything like that, months after they were first told about the scams, that users are losing hundreds of $ on.

Though not all the scammers using the QR code scam are using display names with "Fiverr" or "Support" in them so they should do more things to stop the QR code scams (such as checking for those images being sent like I suggested a long time ago).

From what i meant by commission, eg: if some govt let says uk tax its people. then govt is responsible/should take action against the people who caused harm or support the victim.

I read fiverr is taking 20% commission on each order. so it is generating huge revenue if not in millions. so they are responsible for scams on (newly registered users or newly created gigs) ,Or at least they should support the victim not just ignoring their support tickets.

I have my fiverr account inactive for some time and at the movement i published my gig, Fiver Support notified me. So there is a bug or some sort of coordination with scammers( which the fiver has to look for). As there are thousands of newly register users and gigs how scammers know about each one.

• Like 6
  • Up 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, murtaza4 said:

So there is a bug or some sort of coordination with scammers( which the fiver has to look for). As there are thousands of newly register users and gigs how scammers know about each one.

The scammers will just be probably using some sort of thing like an app/script that reads the new gigs  (eg. loads the gigs in the "newest arrivals" sort in different categories and from there they can load the link to the profile page to check if the seller is new/has no reviews and so might not know as much about how things on Fiverr work, or the scammer could load sitemap type stuff that Fiverr provides to search engines to find their content, and they could find the newest gigs and newest sellers from that. Though maybe one is updated more frequently than the other -eg. I assume the category pages would be updated more often).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 6