So many issues with this platform, I need help!

corinne_n

Question

Hi

I am new to this so please excuse me if my questions sound kind of stupid to you but I just don't get it.

I am registered on a number of freelance work platforms (Upwork and such). On those platforms, I can actively search for work and apply for jobs that are advertised on the platform. Am i missing something or is this not possible on Fiverr? I can't seem to find a job posting board of any sort. Am I supposed to just promote my profile and wait for someone to contact me?

Also, out of the 30 or so messages I received these past couple of weeks, 99% of them were fake! Is that normal?

This site is so counter intuitive, I don't get it!

Any insight?

• Like 7

3 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, corinne_n said:

This site is so counter intuitive, I don't get it!

Nope, it's pretty easy to use once you read the rules and do a bit of research. I think the TOS/help centre has some really good articles on how gigs work and just in general, but yeah, for the most part, you wait for people to message you. You might get briefs (they are a little like a messageboard in the sense that they are sent out to multiple sellers, though only a few at a time and might not always be super relevant), but other than that, that's basically it.

Basically, Fiverr's business model is a bit more like any other online store: you browse between gigs and choose the one (as a buyer) that fits you the most. It doesn't make it bad or wrong; it's just not the same as the others. 

As for spam...yeah, that sucks, but eventually, it does get a little better. Just mark it as spam and ignore it.

• Like 10
  • Up 1

43 minutes ago, corinne_n said:

Am I supposed to just promote my profile and wait for someone to contact me?

The idea of Fiverr is that you don't spend your time (and money) applying for jobs, and that buyers come to you instead.

43 minutes ago, corinne_n said:

Also, out of the 30 or so messages I received these past couple of weeks, 99% of them were fake! Is that normal?

They target new sellers and certain categories (like translation) most.

Edited by catwriter
  • Like 9
  • Up 2

That's correct. It might be weird if you come from Upwork where you can look for jobs you wanna apply to and bid for them. Fiverr is about making yourself look good by creating attractive and useful services (gigs) for the market. It is about optimizing your gigs using all the tools that the platform offers - proper keywords selection, proper showcase of your services by adding images/demo videos, skills validation via tests, etc - I am just a new seller and I am still growing very little by little, but that is my experience for the past 3-4 months. Creating and optimizing your gigs helps you achieve your first order, hopefully your first order gives you your first 5-star review, Fiverr algorithm might then reward you as you keep getting more and more orders and place you on the first pages of a buyer search.

This is just my humble opinion based on my experience, thus far! As I said, I am still a rookie in Fiverr.

Edited by agonza1101
  • Like 7