What Lesson Did You Learn The Hard Way? (Secrets for Success)

vektor3d

That's a great list. 

What I learned the hard way is that some buyers will try to take advantage of sellers, after the order is placed. It is helpful to have a good conversation and talk all details of the job before sending your offer, to understand how serious they are and if it's going to be a pleasant order. And it's okay to reject clients when you're too busy or you don't like their attitude. 

Some of the best clients I've worked with, do not hesitate to answer any question I ask, and are happy to provide with anything that is needed. While some other clients will get annoyed even when you ask basic questions about the job. 

• Like 38
  • Up 1

When finalizing the order plan with the buyer, make sure to emphasize what they will *not* get as well as what they *will* get. Assumptions lead to dissatisfaction and aggravation... and possibly poor ratings!

• Like 36
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 3

This morning I made a vlog about the language of business. I often discovered that a (potential) buyer really prefers you´re speaking in the same terms, know what kind of topics, etc. Someone with for example a PhD tech background that wants to sell a product competing with Apple brand, but focussed on back-end to make sure the functionality is perfect, also only knows mainly how to talk about the back-end, which is kind of irrelevant for his buyer. So a marketeer can bridge the gap translating this: what does his buyer wants, and how can I assure the seller I have understood it correctly. But same as with Apple products, you really first have to try it out and experience what it does. Many people have to try it and experience. So question yourself this: Are we on the same terms? Is it relevant? What is the endgoal? Do you really understand what I say? Next to that, always take both negative and positive feedback serious and try to improve. Sometimes positive feedback can come from jealous people. Then in a later stadium people can say: ´She wasn´t grateful for my compliments and she just took it for granted´.  

• Like 29
  • Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

I was afraid to speak on Zoom before as I was not good at English speaking. But I bravely started speaking on Zoom and gradually my English speaking experience increased. I still have it running. So I would like to tell the sellers that those who are not native English speakers, if you start speaking on Zoom with courage, you will be able to do well in speaking later.

• Like 19
  • Up 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am both a buyer and a seller. Buyers get a better service. They have access to the chat option, for example, and its really easy for a buyer to get an order cancalled, a review removed, etc. so as a seller you need to be very careful in what you give, when you give it, and when you get paid. Milestones are a great feature. I think most important is: work with clients who appreciate your hard work, and over the years, you learn how to identify them and filter the scammers. 

Don't block a buyer--or, in my case a freebie-seeker--right after an order closes. They get mad and may even leave a 100% untruthful review, that you can prove, but it still doesn't get it removed or your gigs out of the dungeon for however many months. 

• Sad 7