Spam Messages

laurens_designs

Anyone else notice a huge spike in the amount of spam messages lately? I get at least 10-15 a day. Just saying hello, not wanting any services, asking for personal contact info, asking for me to give them work, etc. Crazy!

I always assume these people have bad intentions. Do you all think this too? 😂

• Like 18
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Up 3

Yes, I did, and they have. There's a constant barrage of spam that's intended scams at the same time lately, in direct messages, BR, and briefs. Everything has roughly the same pattern, so not hard to identify, once you noticed, but so annoying, and such a time-waste. It's so bad that I hardly feel like reading messages or BRs or briefs anymore, because it is or feels like 99% spam/scam now.

I hope Fiverr will be able to fix this sooner rather than later.

• Like 16

I don't think that each of them comes with bad intention. Most of the time I am getting messages about "can you guide me how to earn from fiver", OR "I am new to this field can you tell me which software's I use and so many like these. 

which indicates that people who are very new on Fiverr, they really don't know how to use it

• Like 15

Those "guide me", "help me", "order me" seller spam is the usual spam that I get all the time.

I'm talking about a new recent phenomenon, people who pretend that they represent some company/agency, and try to get you to message them, or the CEO, or JhonSmiht (weird spelling on purpose) or whomever, on some usually telegram, sometimes gmail account. It all looks super scammy, and there's already a forum post by a seller who unwisely, unfortunately, and against Fiverr's ToS, actually replied to even more than one of them, and let them scam him into working for them, without any payment.

Looks like either a scammer who manages to open account after account after account, or a scammer team, who try (apparently at least successfully in one case that I know of from the forum, so I'll assume there are more) to lure sellers off-Fiverr to make them work for free and pass on that work to their poor customers. If it's not even more scammy than that.

I'd be tempted to investigate and maybe do more than report them to Fiverr when they message me directly or through briefs, but I'd have to violate Fiverr's ToS to reach out to them, so I won't.

To me, it sounds as if laurens_designs is talking about the same thing, as they say "lately". That seller spam, new sellers who don't know how to use the platform and think we all have enough time and energy to reply and guide them all, instead of them doing their own homework, reading ToS, Help Center, forum, etc., that youre referring to, is happening since years.

All those messages, BRs and briefs that I'm taking about, are a recent phenomenon, and definitely scammers, posing as companies or agencies, and showing certain patterns, not your typical helpless and hapless new seller.

• Like 16

On 4/19/2022 at 2:58 AM, animie_video said:

I don't think that each of them comes with bad intention. Most of the time I am getting messages about "can you guide me how to earn from fiver", OR "I am new to this field can you tell me which software's I use and so many like these. 

which indicates that people who are very new on Fiverr, they really don't know how to use it

Definitely! I get those too! Majority of them are SPAM though!

On 4/19/2022 at 3:20 AM, miiila said:

To me, it sounds as if laurens_designs is talking about the same thing, as they say "lately". That seller spam, new sellers who don't know how to use the platform and think we all have enough time and energy to reply and guide them all, instead of them doing their own homework, reading ToS, Help Center, forum, etc., that youre referring to, is happening since years.

That's DEFINITELY stuff I get all the time. Or click this link to view the job brief and it's some weird sketchy link. No way!! haha!

• Like 16

18 minutes ago, laurens_designs said:

click this link to view the job brief and it's some weird sketchy link. No way!! haha!

Exactly. It's tiring, though, this endless supply of sketchy link/contact me/our CEO/our assistant manager/etc. on telegram/what'sapp/gmail/etc. spammers... 😴
Today, I was so annoyed, that, instead of my usual canned quick response and hitting the report or spam button, I spent a bit longer and typed a reply, "Not again. ... will be reported every single time." Not that it will deter them in any way, they seem to be able to open countless accounts, or use some kind of pyramid scheme, with ever new rank and file. 

"Not again" is basically my first thought, whenever I hear or see a notification coming in lately. Without a few regular customers in the mix, it would be close to 100% spam/scam.

Well. This spam/scam wave too shall pass. I hope.

• Like 17

• 2 months later...

I'm new to Fiverr. I made a gig two or three days ago and in this short period, I got five spam messages. They all tell me to do work that I never heard of and ask me to go to some app called telegram for more details. So far I have gotten only one actual massage which wanted to offer work related to my gig. I haven't even had my first order yet and this happening. What do I do? Someone, please help me. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, thetiniestkoala said:

I'm new to Fiverr. I made a gig two or three days ago and in this short period, I got five spam messages. They all tell me to do work that I never heard of and ask me to go to some app called telegram for more details. So far I have gotten only one actual massage which wanted to offer work related to my gig. I haven't even had my first order yet and this happening. What do I do? Someone, please help me. 

Simple report and blcok them. 

• Like 14

Sadly, you can't stop spam messages from coming in. New Sellers are prime targets for scammers, because far too many haven't read the Fiverr Terms of Service and don't know the rules of the platform. Sadly, dealing with spam is a part of doing small business. Report, block, maybe laugh at the (frankly pathetic) attempts to bait you, and move on.

Major kudos to you for recognizing the spam for what it is.

• Like 13
  • Sad 2
  • Up 2

2 hours ago, sophiepearce said:

Once you've gained more orders and reviews, you will get less spam messages. 

Wanna bet? The more successful you become the bigger a target you are for spammers. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there,

I have received more than 50 spam/fake messages in this week, that requests  to message them on telegram or on email/another thing ….which is against the term of Fiverr ,and these messages are totally Spam/fake, consequently, I have also  reported to Fiver and my ask is how  can we be able to block Spam/fake clients in advance before they are reaching out to us...  

Edited by toleradegefawey
  • Like 14

34 minutes ago, toleradegefawey said:

how  can we be able to block Spam/fake clients in advance before they are reaching out to us...  

It would be nice if we could get rid of spammers in advance!

However, spammers usually operate out of new accounts, so all we can do is block and report them as soon as possible.

As a new seller, you are an easy target for spammers. It's good that you recognize the spam messages for what they are. There are some things you can do to reduce the spam coming in, such as reviewing your gig descriptions and prices to make sure you aren't accidentally attracting the wrong type of buyer. However, there will always be spam that makes it into your inbox. The best thing you can do is block and report them right away.

Fiverr is trying out a new feature for Seller Plus members called "Negative Keywords," which prevents buyers using certain keywords to find your gig. This isn't really a feature to block out spam, but ensures a better match between sellers and buyers. Sellers can select negative keywords for each of their gigs to block out the buyers who use those words in search. My negative keywords include "student essays", "thesis," and "Amazon reviews." I use these negative keywords to reduce the number of unwanted inquiries asking for work that is against Fiverr ToS. It would be nice if all sellers could use the "Negative Keywords" feature. It's has been really useful in cleaning up my inbox.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3