Revisions

callyofficial

Question

I'm curious how revisions work from a buyer perspective.

As a seller you can set how many free revisions you want to give, I give 3 free revisions for all gigs. But occasionally, I'll have a buyer that will continue to request revisions after their free revisions are used up.

I usually continue to give free revisions, as it'll very often be one more small adjustment, then they're happy with everything. But I have had one or two orders, where buyers keep requesting lots of single revisions instead of listing everything together. This is a big drain on time, especially when it's a large project that takes a long time to render.

Are buyers made aware of how many revisions they have left each time they request one? And are they notified when they're using up their last revision?

I would like to think they're made aware of this and to be honest, it would be even better if they were stopped from automatically being approved a revision beyond the set limit. After all why set this limit if it's not enforced? Also I feel having to tell a buyer they can't have any more revisions, while Fiverr is allowing them to request one, makes the seller look bad if they then deny it.

I think once revisions are used up, if a buyer wants an additional revision, they should see that they have no revisions left, and if the seller has set up additional revisions as an extra, they should then have the option to purchase one. If this comes from Fiverr and not the seller, it creates no bad feeling between the buyer and seller. It's just how Fiverr works, rather than the seller stopping a buyers revisions. Thoughts?

25 answers to this question

Actually, there are two kinds of buyers:

1. The buyer who ask to revise a particular segment of the entire project. For example, if the project consists of four parts, then he/she may ask to revise one particular segment which they believe don't meet their standard.

2. The buyer who ask to revise the entire project.

In short, there are variety of complex work available in this platform. So, #fiverr authority should consider such cases seriously so that the seller can get relieve from some unethical buyers.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:52 PM, callyofficial said:

I'm curious how revisions work from a buyer perspective.

As a seller you can set how many free revisions you want to give, I give 3 free revisions for all gigs. But occasionally, I'll have a buyer that will continue to request revisions after their free revisions are used up.

I usually continue to give free revisions, as it'll very often be one more small adjustment, then they're happy with everything. But I have had one or two orders, where buyers keep requesting lots of single revisions instead of listing everything together. This is a big drain on time, especially when it's a large project that takes a long time to render.

Are buyers made aware of how many revisions they have left each time they request one? And are they notified when they're using up their last revision?

I would like to think they're made aware of this and to be honest, it would be even better if they were stopped from automatically being approved a revision beyond the set limit. After all why set this limit if it's not enforced? Also I feel having to tell a buyer they can't have any more revisions, while Fiverr is allowing them to request one, makes the seller look bad if they then deny it.

I think once revisions are used up, if a buyer wants an additional revision, they should see that they have no revisions left, and if the seller has set up additional revisions as an extra, they should then have the option to purchase one. If this comes from Fiverr and not the seller, it creates no bad feeling between the buyer and seller. It's just how Fiverr works, rather than the seller stopping a buyers revisions. Thoughts?

Thanks for sharing this with a live example.

When a seller set a revision limit that means that the seller can revise the project or work as such. That doesn't mean that the buyers will be forced to accept the work even the work is not actually done. Companies like this are customer-centric and they always want sellers to exceed buyers expectation and that's a good thing. If a buyer is requesting unnecessary revisions, keep calm and understand the buyer. Ask the buyer to write up all reasons for revision in a file and send it to you. Then you'll have a better hold on buyers expectation and you can complete your task in one go. 

On 10/29/2021 at 4:41 AM, theamitsingh said:

Revison is something that might cause losses as seller perspective

I absolutely agree with this. For a while, I have been working with unlimited revisions on some of my packages in order to see my limit. Basically, all customer reviews and the revision you provide are connected. If you can't get a customer to the finale satisfactorily, they'll have a product or service that doesn't work. And this, of course will reduce the rating and the likelihood of the same customer coming back to you. Doing something a little more out of line can sometimes be for your own good.

But keep in mind that the revisions you provide at no charge, run out of time and energy. So please know your customer and defend yourself when necessary.

6 minutes ago, natalie_online3 said:

Valid statements @gina_riley2. Besides, this subject isn't select to outsourcing on 5r. In any social status, keeping the client glad is significant , yet not permitting them to take the p**s is similarly imperative - not least for your own mental stability. By and by, assuming a purchaser needs an update (in any event, when they've arrived at their share), in case it will require me only seconds, I will most likely do it. In the event that they request something that will require some investment, and it surpasses the edge of me being 'pleasant' - then, at that point, I will clarify it's outside of their unique request boundaries and hope to charge them extra. Each dealer on 5r requirements to choose what that edge is - given their specialty and their time. 5r , or the web-based universe of online business, is indistinguishable to elsewhere.

Great paraphrasing on @fiveroptic1's comment 🤣

Definetly agree, i am working on video editing, and sometimes project takes 5-10h to export, than 1h+ to upload and in the end he asks for revision to fix small thing, thank again again and again.

Fiverr should set warning or any pop up notify buyer he have spent all his revisions and need to pay for extra.

i have been wondering this as well i recently sold a gig for 5 hours of work no revisions, ended up putting in 10 hours and 2 revisions to make the guy happy and then the guy added 4 more questions so i revised it because i did a lot of work and didn't want the order canceled and submitted the revision and 2 hours before the project was due they requested another revision which was 2 more questions and they also asked me to break tos which i refused to do, so now i am in a limbo worried that im not going to be paid for my work i have done 4x the amount of work requested and im still worried because they can just cancel the order and already have all the work they asked for 

3 hours ago, callyofficial said:

I'd probably try and simplify it

Heh, fair enough. I'm trying to attract a specific target market, the people who are willing to take time to do the research and read the details. Basically, people who are willing to learn. So I'm personally fine with being a bit overly verbose. I do get that this isn't the best platform for this kind of market, but this is a side-hustle and I don't know if I'll be on Fiverr much longer. It was interesting to try out.

13 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

I'm not a Buyer, but I've used three of my FAQ's to help me define 'revision'. (I'm just gonna copy/paste the old forum script, I need to start supper soon and don't have time at the moment to fix it up for the new forum limited coding options.)

(Hey, look! I used one of the permitted domain URLs to help explain my gig! #ExternalLinksDoneRight)

I really like this idea to cover revisions in the FAQ's, although I'd probably try and simplify it, as I like to keep my FAQ's short and to the point.

I'm not a Buyer, but I've used three of my FAQ's to help me define 'revision'. (I'm just gonna copy/paste the old forum script, I need to start supper soon and don't have time at the moment to fix it up for the new forum limited coding options.)

## Frequently Asked Questions (*FAQ*)

[details="(FAQ) Section"]

--

**1 )** Every gig that offers revisions needs to mention what revisions include and sometimes what they don't include. Setting up your boundaries *now* can save you a lot of trouble later.

[details=*For example:*]
Q: What qualifies as a revision?
A: If I make an error in the *finished* job that is clearly in contradiction to the original specifications of the order placed, I will fix the error at no charge. Revisions do not include change orders.
[/details]

--

**2 )** Q: What is a change order?
A: Please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change_order for more information. Any requests made before the product is delivered to any stage of the project *already completed and verified by the buyer* will also be treated as a change order.
[details=*But, what is it? Summary, please.*]
'Change order' or 'variation order' is a project management term:
[quote="Wikipedia.com"]
Any modification or change to works agreed in the contract is treated as a variation. These modifications can be divided into three main categories
 1. Addition to the work agreed in the contract.
 2. Omission to work agreed in the contract.
 3. Substitution or alteration to work agreed in the contract.
[/quote]
In short, if a buyer's change to an order costs me, that cost is passed on to the buyer.
[/details]

--

**3 )** Q: What if I do need a change order?
A: Change orders can be expensive. It's important that the original project is thorough in details. I can and will charge according to the amount of work that a change will cause, per change order. If this requires starting over from the start, it will constitute the cost of a new project.

(Hey, look! I used one of the permitted domain URLs to help explain my gig! #ExternalLinksDoneRight)

1 hour ago, gina_riley2 said:

People need to stop offering free revisions.

The problem here is simple. I can easily declare "0 revisions" on the offer, but the client can still request revisions. If I deny them, or demand extra $, I can get hit with an unfair  bad review. There's simply no good way to deal with abusive buyers in terms of revisions. The system is deeply flawed. I can't see a good solution to it inside a platform. Outside the platform? Very easy. My clients pay upfront, not after deliver. And if they are not reasonable with the revision requests, I just drop them and there's nothing they can do. On Fiverr, they can tank my account. No, thanks.

Good points @gina_riley2. Furthermore, this topic isn't exclusive to freelancing on 5r. In any walk of life, keeping the customer happy is important , but not allowing them to take the p**s is equally vital - not least for your own sanity. Personally, if a buyer wants a revision (even when they've reached their quota), if it's going to take me a matter of seconds, I will probably do it. If they ask for something that will take time, and it exceeds the threshold of me being 'nice' - then I will explain it's outside of their original order parameters and look to charge them extra. Every seller on 5r needs to decide what that threshold is - given their niche and their time. 5r , or the online world of ecommerce, is no different to anywhere else.  

Are

4 hours ago, theratypist said:

the buyer can ask for a "modification" like the buyer is still able to press the button that rejects a delivery that leads the order to becoming in revision anyhow.

You are correct.

I never seek or even pay attention to the number of revisions allowed by seller. If the error is on the freelancers part, they are obligated to correct it. If the error is on my part, I need to pay them to get it corrected.

5r can't limit or stop a revision because if the seller is in the wrong, I have the right to request revisions.

I had a seller that wrote an article using the metric system and the imperial or the standard US system. I don't know what he was doing here. I told him to use either or.

He considered that a revision. I did not. A real writer wouldn't confuse the reader by writing the article using both.

I had a proofreader, who decided that the British English is the way to go and changed all of my "favors" to "favours" - which again was his fault. He offered no revisions, but I didn't care. I even told him that I'm from USA when I placed the order. I feel like it was his fault.

I asked for a cartoon, after receipt, I decided to change the style and add to. I closed out that order and placed a new one. Not her fault I changed my mind.

People need to stop offering free revisions. Perhaps they need to highlight it in their Q&A: If my fault, it's free. If your fault, it's $XX.00

6 minutes ago, fiveroptic1 said:

I actually tell them. I think I have a stock answer for it too - goes something like this... "no problem, I can do that for you - you have x revisions within your original order in any case! Is there anything else you want amended at this point?"  

I'm sure not every buyer actually looks at the amount of revisions anyway when they buy a gig, or maybe forgets - but I always give the same answer, advising them of the limit, so they know, as soon as they ask for a revision - how many they've got left. Hope that makes sense!  

This is a fantastic idea! I may just start doing this myself, so thanks for the suggestion.

1 hour ago, callyofficial said:

I actually tell them. I think I have a stock answer for it too - goes something like this... "no problem, I can do that for you - you have x revisions within your original order in any case! Is there anything else you want amended at this point?"  

I'm sure not every buyer actually looks at the amount of revisions anyway when they buy a gig, or maybe forgets - but I always give the same answer, advising them of the limit, so they know, as soon as they ask for a revision - how many they've got left. Hope that makes sense!  

I am also interested in seeing a buyer's response to this. Hey @gina_riley2, we'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this! 

--

Side note, I may be wrong and my memory might be blurry but I remember reading here on the forum that even if the seller has no revisions, the buyer can ask for a "modification" like the buyer is still able to press the button that rejects a delivery that leads the order to becoming in revision anyhow. So I don't think the buyer is "actively" notified of the number of revisions left. 

Archived