Forum Improvement Wish List

topaz_muse

Back in August, a News post was made about cleaning up the forum. Here are some items I hope they address in addition to what was mentioned in the post.

1. Revival of Old Posts. This will be nice to see as there were several topics revived that date back to 2016. Yes, the information therein are relevant; however, a simple reaction emoji will suffice.
  2. Repeat Topics. Often within minutes of each other. I wouldn't mind seeing a feature where we could nominate posts for pinning or at least collect them all in a single location for reference as they answer these repeat questions extensively.
  3. Forum Orientation. Not sure if this is possible but a way to ensure that new users know and understand how the forums work. This includes understanding the different areas along with what can be posted where. After completing orientation successfully, they'll be given x-amount of points. For each infraction that goes against what was learned, a point is deducted. When the number gets to zero, the user will be on probation for a month (no commenting nor posting privileges) and will have to go through the orientation process again.
  4. A designated section for celebrating achievements. Just a section for all the posts celebrating their nth order, x-amount of tip, repeat customer, etc. It would just be nice to have as it will take the guess work out of where to post these types of things. OR create a mega celebratory post for sharing this information so they aren't clogging the other sections.

It's not an exhaustive list but it's a start.

• Like 15
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like community volunteers back. It's rather astounding how much they apparently helped with maintaining a bit of order in sorting topics/threads into the proper category. I appreciate the new staff, I really do, but I don't think the scale of how much the volunteers contributed was quite understood. Sure, I can report all the 'Wrong Category' topics, but that just creates more low-priority work when there are far more serious infractions happening.

A better reporting system would be nice, too, but won't help at all if theirs not the man-power to support it.

• Like 11
  • Up 2

I mentioned this in another thread, but eliminating rewards for new forum users for the first two or three months. Loosen up the post limit a little, so the people who need help can get it, but 'extinction' might work ('punishiment' clearly isn't). Also, for every 'negative' that's applied to a newcomer's 'Reputation', the rewards option is pushed back another day.

Heh, that actually might make it so that only one month is needed initially, as the spammers would extend their own dry-period to get to earning rewards! (That's how you deal with children who keep making the same mistake.)

• Like 9
  • Congrats! 1