We need your opinion

On 7/16/2021 at 5:25 AM, susannekiener said:

Tasks on this platform are often labeled craft, what do you think about this term? Does it reflect what you do?

Been here 5 years, and you are the first and only one I've ever heard use the word craft to describe what we do here. 

I would like to talk with you about your work via this platform.

My work speaks for itself.

Tasks on this platform are often labeled craft, what do you think about this term?

I think this is an odd question that truthfully has no bearing on the success of you, or I, as Fiverr users. Why does it matter what term someone chooses to use to represent what we do?

Does it reflect what you do?

Anything anyone does, that requires skill could be called a craft. I'm an actor -- acting is my craft. I'm an artist -- art is my craft. I'm a freelance brand developer -- both freelancing and brand developing are my craft. I'm not entirely sure why the word "craft" is of such significance to you.

Hi.

A lot of things come to mind when I read "crafts", like crafts and art supplies, craft beer, Fiverr and its tasks aren't one of them. Indeed, this was the first time I've seen both words within five miles of each other.

Are you sure you're not confusing Fiverr and its Gigs (upper-case on purpose, and sorry that I'm too lazy to look for, copy, and paste the copyright symbol, I'm on my phone, but feel free to check Fiverr's ToS for the correct one) with some other platform and its crafts? Or headlines like "24 Best Arts and Crafts Services To Buy Online | Fiverr" with the entirety of services, aka Gigs, offered on Fiverr? Or did Gigs somehow became crafts in some kind of automated translation? After all, we also read a lot about "concerts" on this forum...

As you can see, while (out of those who answered) some can agree that it would be possible to label their work here as a craft, nobody has seen it labeled as that so far, and everyone seems a bit confused by the Fiverr-crafts connection. Looking forward to the solution of this puzzle.

I also have a question; who is we, please?

4 hours ago, corsogr said:

Closest to the term "craft" you will find on Fiverr is "witchcraft" by sellers selling love spells.

Not necessarily.

Not sure they are still a seller here, but, there was a very successful seller when I started back in 2013 who made very simple pearl wire wrapped rings. I would say those were crafty.

gg

@newsmike: We are especially interested in digital craft.
Our definition of craft: Craft is commonly associated with a humanist approach to work that embraces human engagement in making. When work is approached as craft it involves reliance on distinctly human skills (entailing mastery, all-roundedness and embodied expertise) and attitudes (entailing dedication, communality and exploration) that distinguish it from mechanical work resulting from the prioritization of machine control.

20 minutes ago, susannekiener said:

@miiila We that is my research partner Stefan and I. Sorry for not clarifiying in the post. Does your freelancing work resemble craft?

I didn't mean that as much in the sense of another person's given name, I was more interested in why, who, for what institute (whatever applies) you are conducting your research, where the results might appear, where exactly you've seen "craft" being used often, is this kind of a survey in collaboration with Fiverr, ... Your intro post was a bit short/vague for needing our opinions in my opinion 😉 And some people who spend their time replying might be interested in seeing what comes out of it, so a little more info would be nice. 

You could say so, if you wanted. Resemble and craft are vague enough for my freelancing work to qualify.

@miiila @corsogr 

Thank you again! We are young researches from a University in Germany. Our research is part of our Phd studies and aims to address questions of academic relevance. We do not collaborate with Fiverr or any other organization. However, the results of our research might appear in our dissertations as well as academic journals. If anything derived from your statements will be used in our final research paper, it will of course be pseudonymized. But our primary intention is to enhance our understanding of what your experiences are with this kind of work.

About our research: Recent scholarly work often portrays platform-mediated work in the gig-economy as the counterpart to what they call “craft” (see definition above). Nevertheless, we often stumbled upon the term craft across several different platforms (like for instance Fiverr). We are interested in a non-academic perspective on this issue – a perspective of people who really know what they are talking about as they are part of this economy. So, we are interested in your individual perspective on this kind of work and its meaning to you in order to enhance the scholarly understanding of what is often labeled decisive for the future of work. 

4 hours ago, susannekiener said:

@visualstudios Is your work just business to you or do you see your work here in other facets as well?

Each field can have a lot of different components. What I do, overall, taking everything into account, is business. I provide a service, so I should actually be called a service provider, if anything. Then, I work in video specifically, so you have all the concepts that would apply to that. Would a traditional video editor working for a company instead of in the gig economy call the editing he does a "craft"? Then that also applies to me. The difference is that the editing is only part of my job. I also handle marketing, sales, client support, hr, finances, etc.

7 hours ago, susannekiener said:

We often saw the term craft not only on Fiverr but on other platforms too.

Gotcha! If you don’t mind me asking, could you provide a screenshot of where you saw craft being used (instead of task/work) on Fiverr?

9 hours ago, susannekiener said:

@jonbaas It matters to us, since we want to understand how you perceive your work.

My work is my work. It is neither academic, nor complicated to define. I am a freelancer, who provides a service to my target customers who need the services that I offer. I am an independent businessman. This is my job, and my chosen profession.  

9 hours ago, susannekiener said:

Please see the attached definition of craft. Does this reflect on what you do?

I have already defined my work, and what I view "craft" to mean, in a previous comment.

Archived