Spam Messages POLL : Let's have fun

hikarishinjo

poll  

64 members have voted

1. 1. poll

• yes
    • no

I rarely get Spam I used to but I think people who see me in the Forum know they will get a nasty outcome so avoid me. An advantage to having a “Kill Em All” public perception I guess.

It seems to me that the fact I am not a pretty lady probably helps.

Ms 7413 if you feel left out I am sure I can send you something wonderfully creepy and inappropriate 😉

🙂

There was a message I received this month, the buyer told me to write at least 100 recipes for $25, and here’s where the matter gets funnier…that buyer claimed he will place an order every week, asking me to write 100+ recipes, and he’ll keep reducing the rate by $5! Not only that, he wanted it to be designed like a digital cookbook!!! All these requirements… for $25 and every week, this rate will keep decreasing by $5!!! I had zero idea how to respond to that message, and I didn’t have that mood to start a conversation with him, negotiating about the charges, so I said NO.

I had to tick the 11-30. I’ve been out of office partly, though, so it probably would have been more if I hadn’t.
And sadly, over the last maybe year or so, I’ve actually activated out of office mode a couple times just to enjoy the blessing of not getting those spam messages and only relevant messages from former or regular customers who actually want to hire me for what I’m here to do. Since Covid kept me from traveling, I figured some days free of spam and people asking for things I don’t provide, or ask for quotes, where I need to check their material to be able to provide one, only to go silent then without even at least a “No, thanks”, would be the next best thing to actual holidays.
Not ideal, obviously, as you’re aware that maybe you’re missing a really nice job/potential regular customer by that.

If it was at least safe to assume that just hitting the spam button without replying first, would work, but unfortunately, I’ve had my response rate drop the last few times I tried it out, so I don’t rely on it, and then there are all those “Hi” messages, where you can’t really hit spam right away, because while you know it is, there’s this tiny chance it’s just an inefficient communicator, so all the spam requires more than one click, even with quick replies at the ready.
Or do you all hit the spam button for your “Hi” one-liners right away? :thinking:

Do you hit the SPAM button right away when you get a message that only says “Hi” (or hi, Hy, Hey, …)?
  • yes
  • no

0voters

I had to tick the 11-30. I’ve been out of office partly, though, so it probably would have been more if I hadn’t.

And sadly, over the last maybe year or so, I’ve actually activated out of office mode a couple times just to enjoy the blessing of not getting those spam messages and only relevant messages from former or regular customers who actually want to hire me for what I’m here to do. Since Covid kept me from traveling, I figured some days free of spam and people asking for things I don’t provide, or ask for quotes, where I need to check their material to be able to provide one, only to go silent then without even at least a “No, thanks”, would be the next best thing to actual holidays.

Not ideal, obviously, as you’re aware that maybe you’re missing a really nice job/potential regular customer by that.

If it was at least safe to assume that just hitting the spam button without replying first, would work, but unfortunately, I’ve had my response rate drop the last few times I tried it out, so I don’t rely on it, and then there are all those “Hi” messages, where you can’t really hit spam right away, because while you know it is, there’s this tiny chance it’s just an inefficient communicator, so all the spam requires more than one click, even with quick replies at the ready.

Or do you all hit the spam button for your “Hi” one-liners right away? :thinking:

Do you hit the SPAM button right away when you get a message that only says “Hi” (or hi, Hy, Hey, …)?
  • yes
  • no

0voters

I always check the background of these users, if I see no past orders, no active gig : my quick response is instantly fired, reported as spam. Thank you good bye.

• yes
  • no

0voters

Exactly 70. I got my first one this month on March 7, so it took a while to get started!

Also, I got someone who ordered “by mistake” yesterday from one of the countries that regularly spam. It was even my largest package. How do you order something worth $350 by mistake?

However, I am pretty certain it was done with malicious intent and might be more related to my forum activity. Hence, I have set my forum profile to private. I hope that will also help reduce the spam a little bit, but so far, it hasn’t.

I respond to them and give them a few hours to reply. If they don’t, I mark them as spam.

None, but I’ve had no interest, no spam, no orders (except one regular). No nothing.

All I see from this site outside it is spam, and apart from one regular I’ve had no orders recently. So I’ve obviously been blacklisted for shouting about the spam here. Or maybe just lost in the deluge of spam from practically everyone else except those on here also complaining about it.

I don’t mind. I’ll keep shouting about the damage the endless spam does to this place’s reputation and see if anyone twigs that the loss of orders to everyone else and the increase in spam are connected.

Exactly 70. I got my first one this month on March 7, so it took a while to get started!

Also, I got someone who ordered “by mistake” yesterday from one of the countries that regularly spam. It was even my largest package. How do you order something worth $350 by mistake?

However, I am pretty certain it was done with malicious intent and might be more related to my forum activity. Hence, I have set my forum profile to private. I hope that will also help reduce the spam a little bit, but so far, it hasn’t.

I respond to them and give them a few hours to reply. If they don’t, I mark them as spam.

I have set my forum profile to private.

How do you do this? I’ve tried to find the setting to make my profile private with no luck.

How do you do this? I’ve tried to find the setting to make my profile private with no luck.

I had trouble finding it too, so here you go! 🙂

hide.thumb.png.6b11cc201ae70beefb64681bd0efa241.png
hide1366×768 140 KB

I’ve set my forum profile private several times before, however, keep in mind that you can simply completely ignore forum spam, while they might go and find you on the main site and spam you there if they can’t on the forum.

There’s also an “Only following users can PM me” setting, by the way, which I’m using currently (I listed 2 “old forum friends” who I wouldn’t mind PMing, as I wasn’t sure if the setting will work if you don’t input anyone).

And another one coming in as we speak …

him: Hi

him: How are you

me: (quick reply for “99,99% spam probability” messages)

him: Iam not interested

me: (hits spam button)

Spammers of all nations who might read this: just don’t do it.

Even the most patient, polite and wishing everyone well, goody two-shoes kind of people will eventually start reporting spam messages as spam messages. One a week might be tolerable, one, or more, a day, or an hour, are not.

The spammers are legion, and we’re not here to waste away our days replying to spam and watching our hard work torpedoed by spammers sinking our conversion and response rate, sorry. And as unimaginable as it might seem, we wouldn’t mind complaining about other things than spam on the forum. (Yeah, I know, they won’t read this …)

Archived