Introducing Fiverr Logo Maker (Officially)

mjensen415

Who’s gonna pay 30 or 60 dollars for these amateur designs when I can get a decent or good logo designer on Fiverr with tons of experience to make a personlized one for me with all source files and resources included…it doesn’t make sense and it looks like fiverr is trying to lose money. Why is Fiverr trying to make useless add-ons when they can focus on other improvements that will actually help the community? 😦

it doesn’t make sense

It makes a lot of sense. A big problem when getting someone to do a logo is paying in advance without knowing what the end result will be. This way, buyers see exactly what they’ll get before they pay for it.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Logo Designers on Fiverr need to Upgrade there skills now … They must move to more advance designing like advertising designing or like that… This Logo Maker from fiverr will work really good as i noticed logos are simple and even pro ones also… so yeh with some time Fiverr now upgrading to Logo Maker… Good …

On 2/17/2020 at 5:22 AM, franklegacy said:

What would happen if 2 or more people tried to purchase the same logo at the same time? Who would own the copyright?

You can sell logo multiple times

On 2/17/2020 at 5:32 AM, jonbaas said:

Perhaps I’m missing something. On a site that exists to provide personalized work from individual freelancers, you’ve decided to allow the creation of automatic logos that don’t require buyers to hire freelancers? Isn’t this going to kill the logo design category, and take sales away from REAL logo designers who have offered their services here on Fiverr?

In all honesty, I don’t see the purpose of this, when personalized logo creation has already been a service on Fiverr for years.

Hello Jonbaas,

Few things,

1. The logo maker database is still small and it’s still in beta, with time there will be much more logo samples and only good designs will stand out
  2. I think it will not affect on the marketplace at all since logo maker targeting totally different type of customers
  3. there are good and bad things with logo makers as well as custom services… Ex:,With logo make you basically get logo instantly and you know what are you paying for.

The question is who will own the copyright?? i wouldn’t want my business sharing a logo with a different business. Takes away the brand image

You can find your answer on TOS https://www.fiverr.com/terms_of_service

Fiverr offers its users the Logo Maker, which allows certain Sellers to offer various original logo designs for Buyers to adjust and customize per their own specific needs, using special automated design tools. Through the Logo Maker, Buyers purchase full commercial use rights to the Logo Design embedded with their brand name.

Logo Design Commercial use license

When an order through the Logo Maker is completed, and subject to payment, the Seller grants the

Buyer a worldwide, royalty-free, non-sublicensable, non-exclusive, irrevocable license to use the Logo Design embedded with the Buyer’s brand name for any purpose, except for any illegal, immoral or defamatory purpose. There is no warranty, express or implied, with the grant of this license, including with respect to fitness for a particular purpose. Neither the Seller nor Fiverr will be liable for any claims, or incidental, consequential or other damages arising out of this license, the Logo Design or the Buyers use of the Logo Design. For the avoidance of doubt, the Seller retains all ownership rights to the Logo Design, and no ownership or copyrights are granted to the Buyer.

All logos must be original work designed by the seller and never previously sold. They are only sold through the logo maker.

All logos must be original work designed by the seller and never previously sold. They are only sold through the logo maker.

This new addition is great and all.

BUT.

Yup, there is a but. I’m launching a new business and I tried using this feature. The designs that was presented to me were mediocre at best. Definitely designs I’ve seen from elsewhere. :thinking: Hardcore vetting should be in place for this kind of thing. Paying $60 for a logo isn’t an issue for me, in fact it’s a steal of a deal. However, I’m not going to pay $60 for a logo that’s being sold elsewhere. This solidifies that I prefer originality; a custom logo not used by any other business or entity. It just muddies up the water!

Fiverr offers its users the Logo Maker, which allows certain Sellers to offer various original logo designs for Buyers to adjust and customize per their own specific needs, using special automated design tools. Through the Logo Maker, Buyers purchase full commercial use rights to the Logo Design embedded with their brand name.

When an order through the Logo Maker is completed, and subject to payment, the Seller grants the

Buyer a worldwide, royalty-free, non-sublicensable, non-exclusive, irrevocable license to use the Logo Design embedded with the Buyer’s brand name for any purpose, except for any illegal, immoral or defamatory purpose. There is no warranty, express or implied, with the grant of this license, including with respect to fitness for a particular purpose. Neither the Seller nor Fiverr will be liable for any claims, or incidental, consequential or other damages arising out of this license, the Logo Design or the Buyers use of the Logo Design. For the avoidance of doubt, the Seller retains all ownership rights to the Logo Design, and no ownership or copyrights are granted to the Buyer.

Would a business want a logo that they didn’t own the rights (copyright/trademark) to, and someone else did, and that other buyers could also buy the the same logo/elements for their business (even though they too wouldn’t actually own the rights to it)? Surely most businesses would want a logo they owned and owned the rights to (ie. exclusive rights for their company).

non-exclusive

Yep, and there you lost 99% of serious business looking for a logo. A logo design DEMANDS exclusive rights. I won’t pay a cent for a logo mark that others can also buy. It’s worthless.

For the avoidance of doubt, the Seller retains all ownership rights to the Logo Design, and no ownership or copyrights are granted to the Buyer.

Alright! So the terms are not bad - they are insane. I buy a logo and the designer keeps all ownership and copyright? LOL! Sign me right up!

Only people who are not thinking things through will use this. It’s literally throwing money away - what am I paying for?

Not for the work - that has already been done prior to my purchase.

Not for the rights - seller keeps those.

Not for a logo mark that reflects my unique brand - they are templated, catch-all designs.

I would be better served by just looking at the logos for free and copying them. There’s no way to stop me doing that, and there’s no way sellers have any copyright protection if some company on the other side of the world decide to use one of those logos. Who’s going to sue someone doing that? Not the seller, they don’t have the means or expertise. Will Fiverr start suing people who steal the logo concepts? With what money? And how can they prove I stole any logo that has been sold at least once? I can buy a logo there and then use it for 10 different companies, if I want. It’s a nightmare.

This is a complete, utter fail. Think about it - you said you sold a logo for $60. I just checked your page, and you sell logos for $40. Why would I buy a premade logo for $60, when I can see it, and get in touch with the designer and say “Make me something like this, but UNIQUE for me, and I KEEP THE RIGHTS, and I PAY 20 BUCKS LESS”.

Now, if each logo could only be sold ONCE and then the copyright got transferred to the buyer, I could see a use case for this. I want a logo, I don’t have ideas, I want to pick from a list of options and get it instantly. This would make sense. Some people would pay a premium to get it instantly and to be able to pick from multiple options.

Another way this can work is as a kind of live portfolio - people see a logo they like, and then instead of buying (which we have already established as being a very dumb decision), they’ll contact the designer and ask them for a unique logo.

non-exclusive

Yep, and there you lost 99% of serious business looking for a logo. A logo design DEMANDS exclusive rights. I won’t pay a cent for a logo mark that others can also buy. It’s worthless.

For the avoidance of doubt, the Seller retains all ownership rights to the Logo Design, and no ownership or copyrights are granted to the Buyer.

Alright! So the terms are not bad - they are insane. I buy a logo and the designer keeps all ownership and copyright? LOL! Sign me right up!

Only people who are not thinking things through will use this. It’s literally throwing money away - what am I paying for?

Not for the work - that has already been done prior to my purchase.

Not for the rights - seller keeps those.

Not for a logo mark that reflects my unique brand - they are templated, catch-all designs.

I would be better served by just looking at the logos for free and copying them. There’s no way to stop me doing that, and there’s no way sellers have any copyright protection if some company on the other side of the world decide to use one of those logos. Who’s going to sue someone doing that? Not the seller, they don’t have the means or expertise. Will Fiverr start suing people who steal the logo concepts? With what money? And how can they prove I stole any logo that has been sold at least once? I can buy a logo there and then use it for 10 different companies, if I want. It’s a nightmare.

This is a complete, utter fail. Think about it - you said you sold a logo for $60. I just checked your page, and you sell logos for $40. Why would I buy a premade logo for $60, when I can see it, and get in touch with the designer and say “Make me something like this, but UNIQUE for me, and I KEEP THE RIGHTS, and I PAY 20 BUCKS LESS”.

Now, if each logo could only be sold ONCE and then the copyright got transferred to the buyer, I could see a use case for this. I want a logo, I don’t have ideas, I want to pick from a list of options and get it instantly. This would make sense. Some people would pay a premium to get it instantly and to be able to pick from multiple options.

Another way this can work is as a kind of live portfolio - people see a logo they like, and then instead of buying (which we have already established as being a very dumb decision), they’ll contact the designer and ask them for a unique logo.

Only idiots will use this. It’s literally throwing money away - what am I paying for?

Hold on a second. As a designer you know that everything (even a logo creation) starts from a target audience.

This logo maker simply has a different target audience. So I’m surprised to hear all this “it defeats the logo purpose”.

There are small businesses, there are local business without online presence, small hobby and crafts makers etc who simply don’t need to pay over 200$ to build a world wide recognised brand. All they need is a nice sign to attract some clients to their business, that’s it, a lot of them don’t care if that logo was sold before or not.

There are also control freaks who just don’t want to trust a designer and want to see what they are getting upfront. By the way, this logo maker allows customisation so clients might ask some changes on a logo for additional price and they will have now custom made logo.

I’m so surprised to see so many people forgetting simple but essential rule about target audiences.

Logo maker might not fit for bigger purposes and bigger brands who need to be unique they simply target different audience.

Logos should be affordable not only for big brands but also for smaller businesses who don’t need their logo to be super unique.

P.S I wouldn’t reply or debate and will leave it here for people to make their mind themselves what is best for their own business.

Only idiots will use this. It’s literally throwing money away - what am I paying for?

Hold on a second. As a designer you know that everything (even a logo creation) starts from a target audience.

This logo maker simply has a different target audience. So I’m surprised to hear all this “it defeats the logo purpose”.

There are small businesses, there are local business without online presence, small hobby and crafts makers etc who simply don’t need to pay over 200$ to build a world wide recognised brand. All they need is a nice sign to attract some clients to their business, that’s it, a lot of them don’t care if that logo was sold before or not.

There are also control freaks who just don’t want to trust a designer and want to see what they are getting upfront. By the way, this logo maker allows customisation so clients might ask some changes on a logo for additional price and they will have now custom made logo.

I’m so surprised to see so many people forgetting simple but essential rule about target audiences.

Logo maker might not fit for bigger purposes and bigger brands who need to be unique they simply target different audience.

Logos should be affordable not only for big brands but also for smaller businesses who don’t need their logo to be super unique.

P.S I wouldn’t reply or debate and will leave it here for people to make their mind themselves what is best for their own business.

The thing is pricing strategy. A logo there cost $60, the designer of that logo is selling original, unique logos that you will own for $40 on his gig. At any rate, the logos there must be cheap, because any business willing to spend more money will definitely be interested in owning the rights to the logo. Doesn’t make sense otherwise. The least they could do is, since they are charging as much as they are charging for a unique logo, to sell each logo only once, art gallery style. That would justify the pricing strategy (a bit higher than contacting the designer for the convenience and speed).

The logo maker I saw (maybe they changed it?) doesn’t allow for any real customisation.

It has fake sliders that do nothing. Then it allows you to pick a name and tagline. If there are any options they will be in terms of color palette, and that’s standard fare for logo design and doesn’t impact the logo mark at all. A logo mark in three different colors and text options is still one logo, it’s not 3 different ones. It’s all the same, I don’t call that customisation (maybe I missed something).

As for control freaks, they will surely love to not own their logo, and to see copies of it everywhere. Even their direct competitors can get the same logo if they want, different name and colors, and boom. It’s never a good idea not to own your logo if the project/business is serious at all.

What do you mean? Btw, I meant to say “you can’t” in the last message.

Federal Trademark Registration Benefits

Federal registration provides a legal presumption of ownership of the logo; the exclusive right to use, copy, produce and profit from the logo; and the right to sue in federal court over unauthorized use of the logo.

from legalzoom

If the logo is registered as a federal trademark, the courts recognize the registered owner as the legitimate owner.

Federal Trademark Registration Benefits

Federal registration provides a legal presumption of ownership of the logo; the exclusive right to use, copy, produce and profit from the logo; and the right to sue in federal court over unauthorized use of the logo.

from legalzoom

If the logo is registered as a federal trademark, the courts recognize the registered owner as the legitimate owner.

Yes, and the TOS state:

"### Logo Design Commercial use license

When an order through the Logo Maker is completed, and subject to payment… for the avoidance of doubt, the Seller retains all ownership rights to the Logo Design, and no ownership or copyrights are granted to the Buyer."

Now, I’m not a lawyer. I have no idea what holds or not. They just state clearly that the buyer does not own the copyright. This differs from Logo gigs on the website, where the copyright is indeed sold to the buyer in most cases.

Under the current terms and conditions of logo maker, you can’t really trademark the logo mark. The name, sure, but not the graphic itself.

Under the current terms and conditions of logo maker, you can’t really trademark the logo mark.

So you meant the ones sold that are made with the logo maker. Ok.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

If I used a logo for business I would trademark it.

You work with clients from all over the world, so it makes sense to do it. However, a local plumber who has zero intention to start a big huge global company probably couldn’t care less if the same or a similar logo was used by someone on the other side of the planet.

Archived