Sales dropped by 70% after small fiverr update

pussyacat

Same thing happened to me. After consistent months of growth on Fiverr suddenly my orders stopped. Whatever change Fiverr did they completely screwed it up for me. All that hard work, all those sleepless nights eventually went to waste. This is not how hardworking sellers are supposed to be treated, Fiverr!

After consistent months of growth on Fiverr suddenly my orders stopped.

Why are you expecting Fiverr to provide all of your orders? Have you taken any actions on your own to connect to your target customers and convince them to hire you?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem that some users seems to not understand is, that these sellers who did a great work during all these years, they built their reputation due this hard work. This hard work helped fiverr to become what it is today (a multimillionaire company), and the only thing they want is a proper ranking, so they can enjoy some safety feeling about continuous order from the organic fiverr site traffic.

But this traffic is being “redirected” to new sellers (that may be good or not) and to higher priced gigs.

I’m pretty sure that this update, which dropped some gigs performances, is just because fiverr is trying to make more profits, even more they open their company to the stocks market. If did such changes not thinking in make more money, they wouldn’t offer their company to the world.

And for me, in these almost 5 years I’m at fiverr, what I learned is: Fiverr is a normal company, and they want as much profit as possible. And if they need to prejudice some gigs to do this, they will do.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, this is a cheap and short term thinking strategy, which may affect long term returns.

I’m pretty sure that this update, which dropped some gigs performances, is just because fiverr is trying to make more profits, even more they open their company to the stocks market.

If my sales drop from an average of $50 a day to $20 a day, how is Fiverr making more profits?

Attracting more sellers doesn’t lead to more profits, attracting more buyers does. It’s the same with Lyft and Uber, they used to pay us huge referral fees for attracting more drivers, now Uber is offering $10 if your referral completes 110 rides. It’s not worth it. In fact, in some cities, ridesharing companies aren’t accepting more drivers, they’re tapped out.

What Fiverr should do is recruit in the categories that are almost empty, and continue marketing their services to the business community, individuals, etc.

They should also get rid of the fees buyers pay when they order. I know people who don’t buy on Fiverr anymore because of those fees. The 20% sellers pay is more than enough for Fiverr’s profitability.

I’m pretty sure that this update, which dropped some gigs performances, is just because fiverr is trying to make more profits, even more they open their company to the stocks market.

If my sales drop from an average of $50 a day to $20 a day, how is Fiverr making more profits?

Attracting more sellers doesn’t lead to more profits, attracting more buyers does. It’s the same with Lyft and Uber, they used to pay us huge referral fees for attracting more drivers, now Uber is offering $10 if your referral completes 110 rides. It’s not worth it. In fact, in some cities, ridesharing companies aren’t accepting more drivers, they’re tapped out.

What Fiverr should do is recruit in the categories that are almost empty, and continue marketing their services to the business community, individuals, etc.

They should also get rid of the fees buyers pay when they order. I know people who don’t buy on Fiverr anymore because of those fees. The 20% sellers pay is more than enough for Fiverr’s profitability.

well, it’s your sales, not every seller sales.

Fiverr would make more profit (in their point of view), obfuscating lower priced gigs, and over promoting more expensive gigs. Simple like this.

Exactly, you understand my point. Making more profits doesn’t mean placing promoting more the high priced gigs like they are doing. It’s a cheap strategy. A very cheap strategy by the way.

They are not weighing many aspects. Such as quality, reliability, the competence of the seller to transform, for example, a $5 order into a $30 order.

That’s why I think that the performance of a gig, should be measured by the strength of the star (rate earned) WITH the final price of the gig sold.

We don’t know what are their expenses, but we know they have it.

cropped-cropped-favicon-gradient.png.e95efcda50c0f834d7b6a30b920781a8.png TechCrunch
Micha_Community_BellRinging-6_13_19.jpg.56bb65a0148dc985d85f0ab26b4a378f.jpg

Fiverr shares climb 90% in first day of trading – TechCrunch

Freelance marketplace Fiverr had a good first day on the New York Stock Exchange. The company priced its IPO at $21 per share last night, raising around $111 million. It then started trading this morning at $26, with shares climbing for most of the...

take a look on this article.

Fiverr isn’t just make easy money and done. They have a lot of expenses too, and to fulfill this, they need revenues, profits.

Over-promoting more expensive gigs, it is for just 1 objective. More profits.

And yes, they are focusing on more expensive gigs. I watch some categories every single day, and I noted that there are more high priced gigs on top than a few weeks ago.

Just because you don’t have success over a few months, that doesn’t mean the algorithm has changed or that it is “inadequate.”

Ok let’s start with facts:

Fact # 1

Recommended filter now displayed by default instead of Best selling

Fact #2

Impressions dropped in more than 4 times in just few days without any reason

Fact #3

I’m not the only person who has these problems

Fact #4

I see overpriced gigs on the top of search results (which I didn’t seen before)

Fact # 1

Recommended filter now displayed by default instead of Best selling”

And this is bad, because? Why should the best selling be at the top forever? You realize that if Fiverr sorts by best seller, nobody will ever be able to get anywhere with a new account, right? I think sorting by recommended actually makes more sense. Something being “a best seller” by itself doesn’t mean it’s any good anyway, just look at the top charts for books, music, movies, etc.

" Fact #4

I see overpriced gigs on the top of search results (which I didn’t seen before)"

If they sell, they are not overpriced - maybe you are underpriced. If they don’t sell, Fiverr will quickly stop recommending them. If I sell one gig for $1000 while you sell 100 gigs for $5, Fiverr makes double the money with me, even though you are the “best seller” - and with just one order they will spend far less with me in terms of costumer support, server costs, etc., not to mention that at those prices it’s very likely I’ll be working with bigger brands that Fiverr really likes to be associated with for obvious reasons - so I’m by far the more attractive seller from their point of view.

Btw, you have over a thousand reviews, 5 star rating, and your prices start at $5. I don’t mean to tell you how to run your business, but that is a huge mistake imo. You are literally throwing money away. You have the social proof to jack up prices a lot.

Of course not, but what can be done if people don’t want to understand

I appreciate your expert opinion. As a veteran seller you probably know much more than others.

this wouldn’t indicate an algorithm change.

Ok. I just want to mention that I’m doing quick research every day for about last 2 years. I’m also checking gig placements in my category every day. I know all of my competitors. What I see now is totally different.

Fact # 1

Recommended filter now displayed by default instead of Best selling

As I understand only I see this ☝️

So nothing was changed. Why all stats suddenly dropped - just because.

I would like to hear thoughts from TRS and sellers who were on first pages in their category. Is everything ok?

I would like to hear thoughts from TRS and sellers who were on first pages in their category. Is everything ok?

I have no idea on which pages my gigs are, I haven’t checked in months, for some gigs, I never do. Usually, I only check when I edit my main gig, or one I’d like to focus on, to make sure it’s back in search. My “not main gigs”, I often pause them for long intervals, so I don’t think it would make sense to check their position anyhow as that obviously would lower their ranking.

Anyway, everything is ok - within the usual variable state, like some people also said, things often seem to come in waves here (be it actual new customers, be it spammers), which I suppose, has to do with Fiverr’s advertising, displaying your gig for different IP ranges, etc.

If my sales would have dropped by 70%, probably I would check to see what others are doing, if my gig might have become “stale”, if there is some hot new trend that I didn’t notice yet, if my niche/s got swamped with new sellers/gigs, or copycats offering the same thing for less, if there may be something happening like what @leejohnsonvideo experienced in her niche, whatever, and see if I can/want to adapt/try to overcome that dry spell by editing my gigs to reflect the current market realities or by coming up with something more or less innovative, or spend more time on other things, …

There have always been phases where I was wondering why nobody new shows up, yes, but in the long run, it’s been pretty consistent.

One thing I have been noticing myself on here, and what is confirmed by science, as far as I know, is that we humans by default try to construct patterns where none are, which means, we often come to faulty conclusions.

Have you ever thought “hm, why is nobody new showing up this week, what’s going on?” Only to see not only new people but also some old/regular customers all showing up the next week? The thing with the new people, yes, it might mean that Fiverr “is/was doing something” but why would the old customers not show up in that dry week either but would show up the week when new people show up again too? … Never discount something happening that you’re not (yet) privy to, but also never discount good old coincidence.

In any case I hope your orders will pick up again, and that you’ll update, so we can see if your issue is a permanent one or “only” a short low. Since when didn’t you have orders from new buyers anyway, a concrete number would be good to know?

It seems that on the forum, many people only post when they have some kind of issue (which is understandable, of course, and a good thing, don’t get me wrong!) but don’t post when they solved the issue (or sometimes, I even saw posts like “solved, thread can be deleted” or something, without them telling us if and how they solved their issue, or if they found out that there was no actual issue, or whatever), respectively, things got back to normal again on their own, which leads to a skewed perception.

Fiverr would make more profit (in their point of view), obfuscating lower priced gigs, and over promoting more expensive gigs. Simple like this.

Exactly, you understand my point. Making more profits doesn’t mean placing promoting more the high priced gigs like they are doing. It’s a cheap strategy. A very cheap strategy by the way.

They are not weighing many aspects. Such as quality, reliability, the competence of the seller to transform, for example, a $5 order into a $30 order.

That’s why I think that the performance of a gig, should be measured by the strength of the star (rate earned) WITH the final price of the gig sold.

We don’t know what are their expenses, but we know they have it.

a21b97f871d2f6864def8ad0c3cbcd5680a7f58b.pngTechCrunch
5d6dea1585ad6d9161c726194e92c6408d330d7c.jpeg

Fiverr shares climb 90% in first day of trading – TechCrunch

Freelance marketplace Fiverr had a good first day on the New York Stock Exchange. The company priced its IPO at $21 per share last night, raising around $111 million. It then started trading this morning at $26, with shares climbing for most of the...

take a look on this article.

Fiverr isn’t just make easy money and done. They have a lot of expenses too, and to fulfill this, they need revenues, profits.

Over-promoting more expensive gigs, it is for just 1 objective. More profits.

And yes, they are focusing on more expensive gigs. I watch some categories every single day, and I noted that there are more high priced gigs on top than a few weeks ago.

My point is Fiverr operates like no company I know. Most companies only care about sales performance, if you’re a car salesman, it’s about how many cars you sell, not your order completion rate. OCR shouldn’t matter, if I get 5 orders and have no refunds, that’s a 100% OCR. If I get 100 orders and complete 85, that’s an 85% OCR, and yet that’s the kind of OCR that gets you demoted.

I don’t see how that’s a profitable business practice.

FVRR stock is at $28 today, down from $40 on June 13, but that’s OK, stocks go up and down, and good companies will be worth a lot more in 5/10 years than they are now. Your article points out they had $75.5 million of revenues in 2018. If they control their expenses, they will make a profit. Right now their net loss is $36.1 million.

One thing I don’t understand is why does Fiverr have an office in New York City. That’s one of the most expensive areas in America, workers there require huge salaries, rent is extremely expensive, taxes are insane. I don’t think anyone of us joined Fiverr because it has an office in NYC.

So maybe that’s a good reason to have higher prices on our gigs? So we can rank better?

If I sell one gig for $1000 while you sell 100 gigs for $5, Fiverr makes double the money with me

Maybe Fiverr makes $200 with you from one sale, however, maybe 1,000 people are selling gigs at $5, so with just one sale each, Fiverr makes $1,000.

Just because of 1 tiny update my sales are dropped.

The reason: Recommended filter now displayed by default instead of Best selling.

I was on the 1st page in Best selling category about 2 years and have a lot of orders everyday.

After this update I haven’t orders from new buyers.

Impressions, clicks and orders dropped more than 4 times and keep falling.

Does anyone have the same problems?

I am also having the same issue all my orders are dropped since last week

My point is Fiverr operates like no company I know. Most companies only care about sales performance, if you’re a car salesman, it’s about how many cars you sell, not your order completion rate. OCR shouldn’t matter, if I get 5 orders and have no refunds, that’s a 100% OCR. If I get 100 orders and complete 85, that’s an 85% OCR, and yet that’s the kind of OCR that gets you demoted.

FVRR stock is at $28 today, down from $40 on June 13, but that’s OK, stocks go up and down, and good companies will be worth a lot more in 5/10 years than they are now. Your article points out they had $75.5 million of revenues in 2018. If they control their expenses, they will make a profit. Right now their net loss is $36.1 million.

One thing I don’t understand is why does Fiverr have an office in New York City. That’s one of the most expensive areas in America, workers there require huge salaries, rent is extremely expensive, taxes are insane. I don’t think anyone of us joined Fiverr because it has an office in NYC.

So maybe that’s a good reason to have higher prices on our gigs? So we can rank better?

If I sell one gig for $1000 while you sell 100 gigs for $5, Fiverr makes double the money with me

Maybe Fiverr makes $200 with you from one sale, however, maybe 1,000 people are selling gigs at $5, so with just one sale each, Fiverr makes $1,000.

You are not taking in consideration that fiverr works with services, it has no stocks. It’s completely different from a car salesman. The product offered has unlimited stock.

If you salses rating dropped from $50 to $20, it doesnt mean that other sellers cant go from $20 to $50.

If fiverr wouldn’t want more “money”, they wouldn’t need to open their company at wallstreet. No company do this to maintain their profits or do less profits. It is to grow, and grow in a capitalist world is profit. This isn’t nice but this is the ugly truth.

Just because they had double of earnings than expenses, doesn’t mean they don’t want more.

They are in NYC because they are capitalist, simple like this, simple like all of the sellers here.

Perhaps, or maybe not. Like I said, it’s a cheap strategy of fiverr, to “force” buyers to order more expensive gigs.

A $5 budget buyer will always be a $5 budget buyer. Unless a $5 priced gig change his/her mind. This buyer wont simply change his budget because he saw a $25 gig.

More expensive gigs on top, just make buyers to search more for the gigs inside their budget.

This is why I insist, the better ranking should be for those who sell more, sell with better ratings and sell for higher final price. This maintain fiverr overall quality and better profits.

This is not about the highest price offered, like they are doing now. This is about the highest price sold. There is a huge step between offering at a high price and completing an order with a high price.

You are forgetting about the overhead. 1000 people selling 1000 gigs means more server costs, more CS costs, more canceled orders, more chargebacks, etc.

I am facing the same issue. My sales have been dropped for over a month, no new clients and impressions went down too. Besides, when I run search, I see only one or two of the gigs that I used to see before as my competitors and every other gig is new.

You are not taking in consideration that fiverr works with services, it has no stocks. It’s completely different from a car salesman. The product offered has unlimited stock.

If you salses rating dropped from $50 to $20, it doesnt mean that other sellers cant go from $20 to $50.

If fiverr wouldn’t want more “money”, they wouldn’t need to open their company at wallstreet. No company do this to maintain their profits or do less profits. It is to grow, and grow in a capitalist world is profit. This isn’t nice but this is the ugly truth.

Just because they had double of earnings than expenses, doesn’t mean they don’t want more.

They are in NYC because they are capitalist, simple like this, simple like all of the sellers here.

Perhaps, or maybe not. Like I said, it’s a cheap strategy of fiverr, to “force” buyers to order more expensive gigs.

A $5 budget buyer will always be a $5 budget buyer. Unless a $5 priced gig change his/her mind. This buyer wont simply change his budget because he saw a $25 gig.

More expensive gigs on top, just make buyers to search more for the gigs inside their budget.

This is why I insist, the better ranking should be for those who sell more, sell with better ratings and sell for higher final price. This maintain fiverr overall quality and better profits.

This is not about the highest price offered, like they are doing now. This is about the highest price sold. There is a huge step between offering at a high price and completing an order with a high price.

Anything can happen, but pretty much everyone agrees that when you get demoted, from any level, your sales go down, unless you’re doing other things to get sales or you have a lot of repeat customers.

If fiverr wouldn’t want more “money”, they wouldn’t need to open their company at wallstreet

Going public does help a company raise cash, but as we’ve seen from the dotcom busts in the 90s and 00s, just because a company raises cash doesn’t mean they get to stay in business.

Fiverr needs to remember that at one time, SEARS was one of the most powerful companies in the USA, they even had their own building, SEARS Tower, and now it’s hard to find a SEARS near me.

Just because Fiverr is online doesn’t mean they’re invincible.

Also, I don’t see what being in New York City has to do with being capitalistic. That’s like saying you have to live in Texas to be a cowboy, or you have to live in Florida to be a scuba diver.

I’m a capitalist, you couldn’t pay me to live in New York City. A $50,000 job in my area is worth more than a $100,000 job in NYC. The cost of living in NYC, the cost of rent, food, utilities, taxes, would make those $100k be worth almost nothing.

Anything can happen, but pretty much everyone agrees that when you get demoted, from any level, your sales go down, unless you’re doing other things to get sales or you have a lot of repeat customers.

If fiverr wouldn’t want more “money”, they wouldn’t need to open their company at wallstreet

Going public does help a company raise cash, but as we’ve seen from the dotcom busts in the 90s and 00s, just because a company raises cash doesn’t mean they get to stay in business.

Fiverr needs to remember that at one time, SEARS was one of the most powerful companies in the USA, they even had their own building, SEARS Tower, and now it’s hard to find a SEARS near me.

Also, I don’t see what being in New York City has to do with being capitalistic. That’s like saying you have to live in Texas to be a cowboy, or you have to live in Florida to be a scuba diver.

I’m a capitalist, you couldn’t pay me to live in New York City. A $50,000 job in my area is worth more than a $100,000 job in NYC. The cost of living in NYC, the cost of rent, food, utilities, taxes, would make those $100k be worth almost nothing.

Why does any company have offices in New York? They might have a larger pool of highly qualified people there.

Why does any company have offices in New York? They might have a larger pool of highly qualified people there.

There’s talented people everywhere. Most of the geniuses in Silicon Valley were not born in Silicon Valley, and Silicon Valley isn’t in New York.

Fiverr itself wasn’t born in New York, it was born in Israel. And honestly, how many people does Fiverr need to run Fiverr? If it’s customer service, you can do that from anywhere in the world.

I think Fiverr is in New York for status reasons, like buying a BMW so everyone knows you’re a rich guy.

There’s talented people everywhere. Most of the geniuses in Silicon Valley were not born in Silicon Valley, and Silicon Valley isn’t in New York.

Fiverr itself wasn’t born in New York, it was born in Israel. And honestly, how many people does Fiverr need to run Fiverr? If it’s customer service, you can do that from anywhere in the world.

I think Fiverr is in New York for status reasons, like buying a BMW so everyone knows you’re a rich guy.

Seed funding. These internet startups need capital since they’re never profitable by themselves (even if they are making millions, for some reason it’s never enough). Networking is everything in terms of getting funded, so you only have a couple of options for location if you want to be near the right people.

I agree with you. But why does a company wants to raise cash? If it’s not for future investments, it’s for pay expenses. Since we know fiverr is paying its expenses, then obviously we can see that their objective is to grow = more cash = more profits.

Completely agree again. Just because fiverr uses some strategies to earn more cash, like algorithm changes, it doesn’t mean it’s good.

As we know, most of the buyers comes from USA, at least for me (about 70%). If fiverr wouldn’t be capitalist, they wouldn’t spend so much on this. Capitalism isn’t just about make money, it’s about spend it too, wisely or not.

But we also know that NYC is the center of the world, when talking about business (capitalism). I also don’t understand why, but they must have some reason.

again, the reason why fiverr is extremelly capitalist. With behaviors like this, why don’t you think that fiverr is always focusing on making more money?

99% of the companies in the world seeks for better incomes, like fiverr. But it doesn’t mean that all the strategies these companies does work to achieve their objectives. Many broke, just a few succeed.

This is the reason I still think that fiverr could use better strategies to earn more money while promoting the best sellers, instead the news and more expensive gigs.

Regarding Fiverr not taking the actual gig sales price into account for the ranking (vs the gig’s starting price), I’m pretty sure they do, we’ve got our average sales price in our analytics, after all. Probably other “soft factors” (vs the “hard factors” like OCR, the ones responsible for sellers’ levels) count as well.

Regarding Fiverr not taking the actual gig sales price into account for the ranking (vs the gig’s starting price), I’m pretty sure they do, we’ve got our average sales price in our analytics, after all. Probably other “soft factors” (vs the “hard factors” like OCR, the ones responsible for sellers’ levels) count as well.

The hard factors (OCR, rating, etc) can make or break your gig.

However, if I ever find myself in a situation where I can make more money as a level 0 than I did as a level 1 and 2, I will change my mind. If charging $30 gets me more orders than charging $20 or $10, I will be impressed. That’s not my experience at this point.

RAISE YOU GIG PRICES
It seems Fiverr is positioning the higher prices gigs higher and relagating lower prices gigs in the search engine. This happened right after the IPO offering. Just like Disney raised it’s prices across the board to pay for it’s recent investment in new attractions and Star Wars purchases. Fiverr is not raising it’s commissions, is just not viable (right now). So I personally think they are raising higher prices gigs to keep the share value up, and revenue.

• 1 month later...

RAISE YOU GIG PRICES

It seems Fiverr is positioning the higher prices gigs higher and relagating lower prices gigs in the search engine. This happened right after the IPO offering. Just like Disney raised it’s prices across the board to pay for it’s recent investment in new attractions and Star Wars purchases. Fiverr is not raising it’s commissions, is just not viable (right now). So I personally think they are raising higher prices gigs to keep the share value up, and revenue.

Last friday (9th of August) fiverr made changes again. As result my gig dropped from 1st page to 7th page in search results just within 1 hour. Now all my stats (impressions, clicks, views) are dropping every day after that update. I don’t have new orders anymore.

For me it is the most critical drop for the last 3 years and I’m really dissapointed.

It is time to rename “Best Selling” category to “Just random”

Last friday (9th of August) fiverr made changes again. As result my gig dropped from 1st page to 7th page in search results just within 1 hour. Now all my stats (impressions, clicks, views) are dropping every day after that update. I don’t have new orders anymore.

For me it is the most critical drop for the last 3 years and I’m really dissapointed.

You don’t know if they made changes, though, or if that is what caused your rank change. You have no evidence of that. It may have been set to do that under certain conditions.

I’m not saying they didn’t make a change and there is certainly reason to suspect that. I’m just saying your change in rank doesn’t prove or even suggest that.

An algorithm doesn’t mean you stay in one place as long as your performance stays the same. Algorithms are dynamic and are programmed to act under many conditional factors, many of which have little or nothing to do with seller performance.

• 4 weeks later...

You are not alone, the same thing is happening to me. My best-selling gig went from the middle of page 1 on my category to “I can even find it now”. It dropped from 21K impressions (I know, that doesn’t mean much) to 9K within a few days. Every day it went lower and lower, even though I was getting orders. I am getting repeat orders which is good, but my worries are that dropping from search will make it harder to get new orders.

Only one of my gigs is doing this, all the rest are going up. I’m just curious if anyone who has gigs that dropped like this has seen them go back up?

Yes, my best-selling gig has been edited several times while I was trying to figure out what worked. I finally felt like I had done it when I was getting 10 - 15 orders in my queue. And then this happened. If it wasn’t my highest selling gig I would just delete it and start over but it has over 100 reviews so I don’t want to do that. I’m just wondering if there is anything we can do with these ones that are dropping? Seems like the more you mess with them, the worse they get.

I know we should be marketing outside of Fiverr and I’ve done that, and buyers requests. I’m open to suggestions.

• 2 months later...

Have you people had any luck? I have worked on fiverr exclusively in 2019 for 13+ hours daily and I had ‘fiverr’s choice’ badge for 3 gigs many times. Gigs were always on top and most of the times I was tired of managing new orders and now it’s at the VERY BOTTOM AND LAST. All 3 very active gigs (2 gigs not on top before) I’m sure fiverr is doing something strange. Why would they give us hope to build a career here and try to destroy it in 1 day?

• 2 months later...

Same here

I used to have a lot of orders daily but now I get one order every one week or something

The reason you may be gaining fewer orders than you used to, is because there is more competition on Fiverr these days, and the orders are being spread around to more sellers. More sellers, means less orders for you then you used to receive.

Archived