Fiverr categories stats

the_cable_guy

So far I haven’t seen any real interest in these stats from people who commented,

I am interested, hence my question, to make sure you have the actual average selling price in your stats and not a perceived one based on the gig prices.

As to what I’d be interested in seeing, Writing & Translation split up, but that’s just my personal preference, I’d have a look at any statistics related to Fiverr if they are reliable, really. I’ve read your post, liked it, commented, that does convey interest, to me. 😉

I am interested, hence my question, to make sure you have the actual average selling price in your stats and not a perceived one based on the gig prices.

@miiila, thank you. And yes, all the people above and you also, are right. In order to calculate the quantity of sales for the past two months I’m using the quantity of reviews. And for the amount of sales I’m using pricing available in packages of an exact gig. I totally understand that reviews are not showing all the sales, and that gig price is not showing the exact amount of the sales. But my task was to compare categories. And the numbers (with this accuracy) are showing me exactly what I’ve needed.

There are also two important numbers that complement the analysis and inaccuracy in quantity and amounts of sales:

1. “Gigs added over the last month” - how many gigs are added by sellers in a category.

This shows me how fast a category grows.

2. “The number of sellers in the category” - how many active and unique sellers are right now in a category. In other words - how saturated the category is.

Those numbers make sense when one sees them together:

how many sales + how big is the paycheck + how many sellers there are + how many gigs is added recently = how attractive the category is right now compared to others.

As an example. Let’s look at the “Writing & Translation” sub-categories:

stat4.png.075a9c740f63c552a4d1fee7ff69e7bb.png

“Technical writing” is clearly at the bottom, but the “gigs added” is equal to the number of sales. This category is definitely a new one and is trending, sellers are trying to check how this category will work out. And the paycheck is good. Worth testing (IMHO).

Another example. Why there are only “+26 gigs” for the last month in the “Translation” category? It is very big (when compared to others). And the price is very low. My thought (correct me if I’m wrong) - the category is oversaturated and there is nothing new a person can add there. Expect a heavy competition even if you are a pro- translator.

Again, those are my observations, and I’m still learning to see. That’s why I’ve added this post on Fiverr. I wanted to see if anyone else can find some patterns which I’m missing.

@miiila, @merciavideo, thank you again for your input, and for giving me chance to learn.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@miiila, thank you. And yes, all the people above and you also, are right. In order to calculate the quantity of sales for the past two months I’m using the quantity of reviews. And for the amount of sales I’m using pricing available in packages of an exact gig. I totally understand that reviews are not showing all the sales, and that gig price is not showing the exact amount of the sales. But my task was to compare categories. And the numbers (with this accuracy) are showing me exactly what I’ve needed.

There are also two important numbers that complement the analysis and inaccuracy in quantity and amounts of sales:

1. “Gigs added over the last month” - how many gigs are added by sellers in a category.

This shows me how fast a category grows.

2. “The number of sellers in the category” - how many active and unique sellers are right now in a category. In other words - how saturated the category is.

Those numbers make sense when one sees them together:

how many sales + how big is the paycheck + how many sellers there are + how many gigs is added recently = how attractive the category is right now compared to others.

As an example. Let’s look at the “Writing & Translation” sub-categories:

“Technical writing” is clearly at the bottom, but the “gigs added” is equal to the number of sales. This category is definitely a new one and is trending, sellers are trying to check how this category will work out. And the paycheck is good. Worth testing (IMHO).

Another example. Why there are only “+26 gigs” for the last month in the “Translation” category? It is very big (when compared to others). And the price is very low. My thought (correct me if I’m wrong) - the category is oversaturated and there is nothing new a person can add there. Expect a heavy competition even if you are a pro- translator.

Again, those are my observations, and I’m still learning to see. That’s why I’ve added this post on Fiverr. I wanted to see if anyone else can find some patterns which I’m missing.

@miiila, @merciavideo, thank you again for your input, and for giving me chance to learn.

Yes, I see, it depends on what one is looking for in the stats, of course, whether they/which ones are more or less interesting to one personally.

For me, for example, it would be interesting to know if/how much my own revenue per sold gig and monthly income differs from the monthly average and of course the minimum and maximum, while comparisons cross categories are less relevant for me.

But the numbers above, comparisons between subcategories within my category, are very interesting, too, thanks!

As for the translation category, there are many things that play a role which I can’t go into.

What I can say though, is that I sometimes have gigs that take me several days or whole weeks, last month, for instance, I had to go OOO for 2 weeks to do just 1 gig. Obviously, I don’t work 2 weeks for $5.

You can’t translate a book or game or even most websites in a day or two - but you’ll find BRs that ask people to translate thousands of words for $5, often with a deadline that is humanly not possible to keep, even if one was desperate enough to work a whole day or two for €3,68 or whatever remains after currency conversion, and they do get offers.

The price isn’t low, some people’s prices are low, but if you want a quality, manual translation by an actual native speaker and are a bit observant, you’ll find out that you better get your priorities right and not necessarily take the cheapest offer. Like everywhere, there usually are reasons for things or services to be expensive or cheap.

The rest, I leave to your imagination.

I’d love to know how you estimated the number of sales and the average price per sale for each category please. Fiverr itself wouldn’t make that sort of information available. 🙂

Well done for what must have been a lot of number crunching. 😉

Thanks, @merciavideo!

You are right, I couldn’t find any official info in terms of categories activity; but sorry to say I can’t disclose the source of numbers, would say only that it is accessible to anyone and I have no special access to any secret database :). Money and sales numbers are rough, but they are accurate in terms of comparing categories with each over. Other numbers (sellers, new gigs) should be precise.

I can’t disclose the source of numbers, would say only that it is accessible to anyone

Why not? …

For these two all you can do is guess:

Gray - Quantity of sales in a category.

Green - Average price per sale.

I don’t think this information is reliable at all.

If you are saying that this statistic is not reliable for getting the exact earnings - you are absolutely right! But my post is not about the financial accuracy of earnings (that’s why I intentionally rounded all the numbers to like $7.1m). My post is about comparing the categories with each other. That’s it. I’ve never intended to disclose any private numbers 🙂

@manucornel, or you think it’s not suitable even for a comparison? And thanks for your input, I love to get critiques!

I am glad you took it like a pro. 🙂

Yea, in my opinion, they cannot be used even as a comparison, because the difference of financial earnings can be so big that the stats can be totally different.

They can be used as an inspiration though for people that are interested in offering more services than they already do. But please don’t take it as for sure, if that category has many millions in stats doesn’t mean it’s 100% profitable in reality. Especially because it might not be profitable for a certain person that is not meant for that domain.

You had some solid points otherwise.

In other words, I would appreciate if you give this estimates with the disclaimer that they should be taken with a grain of salt, not like things that can be used for certain.

I don’t have anything against using stats as a little guidance, but I didn’t like the fact you tried to dismiss a very important success advice like following your own passion. Stats can be used only as a complement to that advice.

As a writer and a translator, I totally agree with you on this one! The heavy competition on translation is real. I had months when I did big money with translations, and months that I barely did anything.

PS: I would like you to apply these numbers somehow. Seriously. Just go out there and find a way to use these numbers to your advantage. Earn some big bucks on Fiverr. And then come and tell us about your success. We will have much more to learn from it then.

I am glad you took it like a pro. 🙂

Yea, in my opinion, they cannot be used even as a comparison, because the difference of financial earnings can be so big that the stats can be totally different.

They can be used as an inspiration though for people that are interested in offering more services than they already do. But please don’t take it as for sure, if that category has many millions in stats doesn’t mean it’s 100% profitable in reality. Especially because it might not be profitable for a certain person that is not meant for that domain.

You had some solid points otherwise.

In other words, I would appreciate if you give this estimates with the disclaimer that they should be taken with a grain of salt, not like things that can be used for certain.

I don’t have anything against using stats as a little guidance, but I didn’t like the fact you tried to dismiss a very important success advice like following your own passion. Stats can be used only as a complement to that advice.

As a writer and a translator, I totally agree with you on this one! The heavy competition on translation is real. I had months when I did big money with translations, and months that I barely did anything.

PS: I would like you to apply these numbers somehow. Seriously. Just go out there and find a way to use these numbers to your advantage. Earn some big bucks on Fiverr. And then come and tell us about your success. We will have much more to learn from it then.

The heavy competition on translation is real

How are translators coping? Are they offering more words for less? Or more words for the same price?

So the stats are publicly available to anyone but you need to keep the way you got them secret? Fiverr doesn’t publish that information anywhere. They definitely aren’t publicly available. It’s unusual to publish a table of statistics and say that where you got them from you can’t tell anyone.

Either you know someone who works for fiverr who told you the stats or they are guesses.

What you could do is give more detail on which categories are most likely to be the most profitable for people who can do the gigs in those categories. It could also take into account the amount of work likely to be involved (eg. in hours/days), eg. a rough profit per hour worked for each category (though the amount of time worked may be difficult to determine but maybe an estimate could be done based on the dates of the reviews, though this wouldn’t work for sellers who are actually teams eg. of many people or those who get other sellers to work on parts of the gig). Maybe it could show the average number of sales & selling price per seller in each category. Maybe it should also take into account (remove) Fiverr’s 20%.

What you could do is create a gig that showed the the gigs / gig categories that were most likely to give the most profit per hour worked based on someone’s existing info (eg. the gigs they currently have and the categories & subcategories they’re in, bio, qualifications & skills listed and skill scores and category scores within skills, courses taken etc.).

Maybe it could show the average number of sales & selling price per seller in each category.

Average number of sales, that is interesting. An abstract example:

“On average in this category sellers receive 10 sales per week”, is that a right example, @uk1000 ?

What you could do is create a gig that showed the the gigs / gig categories that were most likely to give the most profit per hour worked based on someone’s existing info (eg. the gigs they currently have and the categories & subcategories they’re in, bio, qualifications & skills listed and skill scores and category scores within skills, courses taken etc.).

That is also a very interesting thing. To give a suggestion. I already have all the keywords, skills in my database. Need to think of that.

For me, for example, it would be interesting to know if/how much my own revenue per sold gig and monthly income differs from the monthly average and of course the minimum and maximum, while comparisons cross categories are less relevant for me.

I have a list of top sellers for each category (and sub-category). Yes, the earnings are not precise, but that could be at least something. Would that be interesting to you, @miiila ?

What I can say though, is that I sometimes have gigs that take me several days or whole weeks, last month, for instance, I had to go OOO for 2 weeks to do just 1 gig. Obviously, I don’t work 2 weeks for $5.

I see and understand, and that makes sense. Thank you for the information!

Yes, you are right, that was my miss when I was presenting those stats for the first time.

Yes. That is why I am here. I do not want to copy existing things. I do not want to lose my faith in Fiverr presenting things no one wants. And that’s why my journey starts here. I want to learn myself and Fiverr before I will go further. Again, thank you for your straightforward input, @manucornel

Maybe it could show the average number of sales & selling price per seller in each category.

“On average in this category sellers receive 10 sales per week”, is that a right example, @uk1000 ?

That is also a very interesting thing. To give a suggestion. I already have all the keywords, skills in my database. Need to think of that.

I have a list of top sellers for each category (and sub-category). Yes, the earnings are not precise, but that could be at least something. Would that be interesting to you, @miiila ?

Yes, you are right, that was my miss when I was presenting those stats for the first time.

Yes. That is why I am here. I do not want to copy existing things. I do not want to lose my faith in Fiverr presenting things no one wants. And that’s why my journey starts here. I want to learn myself and Fiverr before I will go further. Again, thank you for your straightforward input, @manucornel

Yes, but I don’t think it would be a good idea to post that, thanks for the offer though!

The heavy competition on translation is real

How are translators coping? Are they offering more words for less? Or more words for the same price?

I’ve seen other translators offer more words for less, which is something I personally do not do. I mean, good translations require a lot of work, and I am not willing to cut down on my prices (which are way less than any translation office). I prefer to work with my regulars, deliver high quality and focus on my other gigs.

But I’ve seen some people going even as low as half my price. Usually, translators that only do just that. My experience is only with the Romanian language, therefore I don’t know if it’s still valuable for other languages. Also because in my country, some people earn less than 200$ per month, so I think it makes sense for some people from here to work for way less than normal rate.

Why do you ask?

Maybe it could show the

“On average in this category sellers receive 10 sales per week”, is that a right example, @uk1000

Yes (or sort of) and price. Just for an average gig they (an average seller) have in that category (or subcategory) average number of sales and average selling price (estimate).

eg. if I was to create a gig in that category/subcategory, roughly how many sales per week/month and at what price (avg selling price) would I expect to receive. Obviously if someone created a gig there they may not receive the average number of sales per week/month at the specified price but it could just be a rough guide.

If you were doing it for a particular user you could compare their skills/scores/qualifications/courses taken etc. to sellers with similar skills etc. to maybe give a more accurate expected number of sales and $ amount per week/month if they created a gig in a particular category/subcategory (by taking average sales numbers and prices only for sellers in the category who had similar skills/scores etc. as the user you were creating the estimate for). You could also maybe recommend a gig selling price based on their info.

Yes, I see, it depends on what one is looking for in the stats, of course, whether they/which ones are more or less interesting to one personally.

But the numbers above, comparisons between subcategories within my category, are very interesting, too, thanks!

As for the translation category, there are many things that play a role which I can’t go into.

You can’t translate a book or game or even most websites in a day or two - but you’ll find BRs that ask people to translate thousands of words for $5, often with a deadline that is humanly not possible to keep, even if one was desperate enough to work a whole day or two for €3,68 or whatever remains after currency conversion, and they do get offers.

The price isn’t low, some people’s prices are low, but if you want a quality, manual translation by an actual native speaker and are a bit observant, you’ll find out that you better get your priorities right and not necessarily take the cheapest offer. Like everywhere, there usually are reasons for things or services to be expensive or cheap.

The rest, I leave to your imagination.

For me, for example, it would be interesting to know if/how much my own revenue per sold gig and monthly income differs from the monthly average and of course the minimum and maximum

This would be very useful information and it also is information that a forward thinking business would supply to the team in many businesses. In an aggressive sales environment, the stats of this kind are posted on the wall, along with daily dollar amounts earned for each sales person.

This triggers competitiveness and is highly motivating. Selling becomes a game.

FIrst of all, thanks for sharing @the_cable_guy!

I’m not trying to offend you, i’m just curious on how you did the calculation as there are a lot of “variables” (e.g:selling price, unrated order, etc) that are not in your controls. Even if you could gather some reliable data, i’m sure that the amount of the data will not be feasible enough to give a nearly-accurate stats. As far as i know, there’s no way to get an accurate stats if extreme data (e.g: custom offer which price is much more higher than the original gig price) still exist.

If you don’t mind, i want to ask 2 questions:

1. What statistic method did you use to create this stats?
  2. How much the degree of error of this stats?

I’ve seen other translators offer more words for less, which is something I personally do not do. I mean, good translations require a lot of work, and I am not willing to cut down on my prices (which are way less than any translation office). I prefer to work with my regulars, deliver high quality and focus on my other gigs.

But I’ve seen some people going even as low as half my price. Usually, translators that only do just that. My experience is only with the Romanian language, therefore I don’t know if it’s still valuable for other languages. Also because in my country, some people earn less than 200$ per month, so I think it makes sense for some people from here to work for way less than normal rate.

Why do you ask?

I asked because I’m curious. I’ve been thinking of offering translation services myself, but I don’t want to do 2,000 words for $5.

I asked because I’m curious. I’ve been thinking of offering translation services myself, but I don’t want to do 2,000 words for $5.

I’ve been thinking of offering translation services myself, but I don’t want to do 2,000 words for $5.

I think you won’t need to do so as you’re already a Level 2.

Maybe you could try starting your basic $5 with 500 - 750 words and see how it goes, later on you could lower the word count.

Yes, but I don’t think it would be a good idea to post that, thanks for the offer though!

Absolutely agree with you. I will not post sellers stats here officially.

@miiila, I have a straight question. If I will create a gig offering: I will compare your seller-account within a specific category with other sellers in that category. Will you buy it?

If you were doing it for a particular user you could compare their skills/scores/qualifications/courses taken etc. to sellers with similar skills etc. to maybe give a more accurate expected number of sales and $ amount per week/month if they created a gig in a particular category/subcategory (by taking average sales numbers and prices only for sellers in the category who had similar skills/scores etc. as the user you were creating the estimate for). You could also maybe recommend a gig selling price based on their info.

Wow, @uk1000, that is a very cool idea with such a detailed explanation, thank you! Would you use such a tool for yourself? It sounds awesome, I’m just trying to understand if there is an interest in such info.

Guys/girls, I would like to thank you all for so much help here, really. I appreciate all the input from all of you.

@miiila, I have a straight question. If I will create a gig offering: I will compare your seller-account within a specific category with other sellers in that category. Will you buy it?

Wow, @uk1000, that is a very cool idea with such a detailed explanation, thank you! Would you use such a tool for yourself? It sounds awesome, I’m just trying to understand if there is an interest in such info.

Guys/girls, I would like to thank you all for so much help here, really. I appreciate all the input from all of you.

Straight answer - probably not, because I’m generally interested in any available stats on Fiverr, just like I’m interested in a lot of stuff, but not interested enough to buy a gig for something that’s not of any actual use to me nor anyone I know, so I’d rather invest that money in my main vices - books, audiobooks and games 😉 .

I do buy gigs on Fiverr sometimes, but those are either of actual use to myself (the first thing I did on Fiverr was not selling but buying a gig to see how things look “from the other side”, then gig videos, a drawing, a vector file) or gifts for someone.

Such a comparison as you may be able to deliver, with more or less vaguely sourced statistics, while interesting, wouldn’t help me with my business here. I have some exp and ‘stats’ that actually are helpful to me but it’s comparisons you couldn’t help me with, because you’re neither a buyer of my niche nor a competitor messaging me, nor can you go through my categories with my eyes and look for and find the things that are of more practical interest and helpful to me than numbers.

On the other hand, if I stumbled over such a gig and it looked interesting enough and made me curious enough to buy it, I might, though. But it’s rather improbable because I’d not search for a gig like that in the first place, so it’s not probable I’d stumble over it - unless I saw it on the forum, but as self-promo isn’t allowed apart from in My Fiverr Gigs and I’ve muted that category, improbable still. 😉

So, yeah, I’m not sure if you could really sell a gig like that, simply because (my assumption) few or no sellers would look for it or would think they’d get actual use out of it, but since you have 7 gig slots as an unleveled seller, why not try it out if you think it may be useful for sellers, you can advertise it in MFG and off-site, after all, so maybe you can get people curious enough to buy it. If it won’t sell, you can always replace it by another gig.

If I will create a gig offering: I will compare your seller-account within a specific category with other sellers in that category. Will you buy it?

You would need to explain how you got personal stats and data from sellers accounts.

I’m not sure why you are suggesting you have some way of doing this.

Oh, right, and after reading Miss Crystal’s comment - you should make sure such a gig would be allowed first; IIRC, some time ago, gigs that “helped” other sellers in some way like re/writing their descriptions for them, etc., got disallowed. That may be wrong info, though, I just know I read it on this or another forum, but if in doubt, it’s always better to check with support than to risk an account warning or even ban.

If I will create a gig offering: I will compare your seller-account within a specific category with other sellers in that category. Will you buy it?

You would need to explain how you got personal stats and data from sellers accounts.

I’m not sure why you are suggesting you have some way of doing this.

Though he’s not suggesting he can get any info that isn’t shown on the normal Fiverr pages. ie. he isn’t able to access that actual Fiverr database, only what’s on the Fiverr web pages that are shown to people browsing the site (he said public info).

But I agree with Miiila he should clear it with Fiverr first. Maybe if the gig was more about just recommending the best categories, subcategories, gigs they’d be less likely to have an issue with it. They may have issues if it sounds like it’s giving away lots of site stats/sales info etc. and they’d have to be okay with how he would do it (if gathering lots of site stats etc).

I think like has been said it would be best to check the gig with Fiverr first before creating it just to make sure they’d be okay with it. But if they are I think it could sell.

Though he’s not suggesting he can get any info that isn’t shown on the normal Fiverr pages. ie. he isn’t able to access that actual Fiverr database, only what’s on the Fiverr web pages that are shown to people browsing the site (he said public info).

But I agree with Miiila he should clear it with Fiverr first. Maybe if the gig was more about just recommending the best categories, subcategories, gigs they’d be less likely to have an issue with it. They may have issues if it sounds like it’s giving away lots of site stats/sales info etc. and they’d have to be okay with how he would do it (if gathering lots of site stats etc).

he can get any info that isn’t shown on the normal Fiverr pages. ie. he isn’t able to access that actual Fiverr database, only what’s on the Fiverr web pages that are shown to people browsing the site

There is not enough information on the gig pages to show him what the number of sales are for each seller in a 60 day period and the average sale price.

So he is going to go through each category for each seller and figure this out? He says there are 25000 sellers in my category. He is going to do that 25000 times for my category? I find it a little bit of a stretch.

he can get any info that isn’t shown on the normal Fiverr pages. ie. he isn’t able to access that actual Fiverr database, only what’s on the Fiverr web pages that are shown to people browsing the site

There is not enough information on the gig pages to show him what the number of sales are for each seller in a 60 day period and the average sale price.

So he is going to go through each category for each seller and figure this out? He says there are 25000 sellers in my category. He is going to do that 25000 times for my category? I find it a little bit of a stretch.

He didn’t say all other sellers in the category (maybe he’d get a rough figure by just getting a certain amount, like 100 or 1000 - a random sampling of however would be enough) or that he’d be doing it manually though.

Though maybe he has looked at every seller page based on the OP etc. (or whichever pages of the site would get those rough figures he’s shown) but it wouldn’t have been manually.

He didn’t say all other sellers in the category (maybe he’d get a rough figure by just getting a certain amount, like 100 or 1000 - a random sampling of however would be enough) or that he’d be doing it manually though.

Though maybe he has looked at every seller page based on the OP etc. (or whichever pages of the site would get those rough figures he’s shown) but it wouldn’t have been manually.

it wouldn’t have been manually .

Then how if not manually?

How would he know the average sale price for each category? There is no way.

I don’t have packages and even so, he wouldn’t even know MY average sale price.

Archived