Why Buyers MUST contact seller before ordering

flomaestro

I keep seeing this demand, “contact seller before ordering,” but that’s not the way Fiverr was designed.

If I search, click on a gig, I see “Proceed to Order” first, then “Contact Me” under the seller’s name.

This is why you can’t expect buyers to always contact you. If Fiverr ever changes the mechanics so buyers see “Contact Me” instead of proceed to order, then you’ll get your wish.

Until then, you have to be ready to serve your clients. If you really want them to contact you first, then raise your prices to the most expensive levels and then disclose your real prices in the gig description. The only drawback with this is that seeing high prices is the search results might discourage people from clicking on your gigs.

I keep seeing this demand, “contact seller before ordering,” but that’s not the way Fiverr was designed.

Agree with you 👍 We provide non-physical service. That means there should be communication. Communication means spending more time.

Fiverr has set up a platform and promised quick and cheap services. Fiverr called us “seller” as if we were selling physical goods.

Selling physical goods is always quick. The price and attribute of the goods are certain. So we do not think too much to buy. Just decide and buy.

However, As time goes by, buyers want more. So sellers offer custom works which is contrary to the architecture of the system.

I hope that in the future an update will come for custom works. 🙂

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with you 👍 We provide non-physical service. That means there should be communication. Communication means spending more time.

Fiverr has set up a platform and promised quick and cheap services. Fiverr called us “seller” as if we were selling physical goods.

Selling physical goods is always quick. The price and attribute of the goods are certain. So we do not think too much to buy. Just decide and buy.

However, As time goes by, buyers want more. So sellers offer custom works which is contrary to the architecture of the system.

I hope that in the future an update will come for custom works. 🙂

That means there should be communication. Communication means spending more time.

The only communication I give is the gig description, I hate waking up to this:

“Are u online? I am looking for some captions for our company. Is it possible for you to do in next 5 hours? Lemme know if interested.”

“Hello, I’m interested in your service to invent the brand name of our aerosol spray products.”

I don’t know why they didn’t go ahead and order. Most of my clients go ahead and order.

I guess buyers message for the following reasons.

1. They want to make sure the seller is responsive
  2. They think they need permission to order
  3. They don’t feel comfortable ordering right away

I would encourage the buyers to read the gig description. If you’re not being asked to contact the seller, if you don’t have questions, then just order.

I’ll be polite with them either way. As my life coach taught me, “you can’t control what happens, you can control how you react to it.”

That means there should be communication. Communication means spending more time.

The only communication I give is the gig description, I hate waking up to this:

“Are u online? I am looking for some captions for our company. Is it possible for you to do in next 5 hours? Lemme know if interested.”

“Hello, I’m interested in your service to invent the brand name of our aerosol spray products.”

I don’t know why they didn’t go ahead and order. Most of my clients go ahead and order.

I guess buyers message for the following reasons.

1. They want to make sure the seller is responsive
  2. They think they need permission to order
  3. They don’t feel comfortable ordering right away

I would encourage the buyers to read the gig description. If you’re not being asked to contact the seller, if you don’t have questions, then just order.

I’ll be polite with them either way. As my life coach taught me, “you can’t control what happens, you can control how you react to it.”

They send messages even everything is clear. They do not send messages when you offer custom work. 🙂

I love when my buyers contact me, as it is a way to build a relationship with them. So far this week - 80% of my orders have come from buyers who have purchased previously - 2 of them not since 2016. They now need updates to their previous work and because I took the little bit of extra time to communicate with them, they came back to me, rather than find a new seller.

Sure you can pump your orders out with minimal communication if that is your preference, but I’d prefer to build long lasting customer relationships. I don’t demand buyers contact me first - as some don’t want to, but welcome those that do. I think it makes an all-around better experience for everyone.

Btw, i have 20 gigs. For 19 of them, buyers do not need to contact me. Everything is written detailly in each gig page.

However, i also offer a custom video editing sevice. For this gig, buyers should contact me before place order so i can give exact delivery time and price.

Fiverr is not design for my this custom gig. I hope there should be an update for future for such services. Maybe price wont be written or contact button instead of place order button.

Have had 5 mistake orders this month, still am at new level seller due to other peoples mistakes, fiverr can be doing so much more to help sellers, the level system is very flawed but of course they wont listen…

I had dropped from 100% ratings before, largely due to wrong orders. They just kept coming.

It disturbed me to the extent I was thinking it could be a sabotage by another seller somewhere even though I knew it was not true.

That’s how I felt at the time. Wrong orders are the most painful. And it could have been avoided if the buyer had asked questions…

• 2 weeks later...

I believe if your gig description is comprehensive enough, the buyer can go ahead and place an order.

But a case of bypass can take place when reading the gig description.

If you read and understand the description as well as the price, please place an order.

If not, please contact me with any questions.

It’s that simple.

I do believe my gig description might not be comprehensive enough for everyone, that’s one of the main reasons a buyer should contact me first.

Also to know if we deem fit.

Totally agree, at least if the gigs info say - contact first. That’s ok if buyers order something that fits standard gig conditions, but there often buyers need something different that can be only discussed and agreed, including difference in prices and timing.

I also agree with the above said. If a gig description clearly states that " you get this for this much" and the buyer just specifically wants that, there are no issues at all. I have gone through more than 100 order cancellations throughout 2013 to today because of some buyers ordering before discussing and later cancelling the order telling that the actual cost was too much after i had explained.lol.

After all, what person goes to a shop and blindly purchases some random stuff, hoping that those would fit into the buidget at the check out!? i would categorize the buyers who discuss prior ordering as the light side. and the ones who doesnt as the dark side.

😛

If I search, click on a gig, I see “Proceed to Order” first, then “Contact Me” under the seller’s name.

This is why you can’t expect buyers to always contact you. If Fiverr ever changes the mechanics so buyers see “Contact Me” instead of proceed to order, then you’ll get your wish.

Until then, you have to be ready to serve your clients. If you really want them to contact you first, then raise your prices to the most expensive levels and then disclose your real prices in the gig description. The only drawback with this is that seeing high prices is the search results might discourage people from clicking on your gigs.

Although that might be true, Fiverr allows different types of gigs that do require communication beforehand. It then makes sense to request a message.

I think one of the issues on the topic of messaging a seller before ordering is that each seller is (obviously) selling something different. Some gigs require minimal communication, just a “here is what I need, go at it” versus a gig that requires a lot of communication like a “I want such-and-such a thing” and “hm, that doesn’t look right”. The latter requires a back and forth dialogue between the seller and the buyer.

Personally, I request that the buyer contact me first because all my gigs are art-related. I want to make sure that the image I create is tailored close to the Client’s vision as much as possible. I try to keep open communication and ask for feedback during the whole process.

I think that Fiverr should then create an option where the only way to purchase from the seller is to message them first. It could be an option you toggle on and off.

Although that might be true, Fiverr allows different types of gigs that do require communication beforehand. It then makes sense to request a message.

I think one of the issues on the topic of messaging a seller before ordering is that each seller is (obviously) selling something different. Some gigs require minimal communication, just a “here is what I need, go at it” versus a gig that requires a lot of communication like a “I want such-and-such a thing” and “hm, that doesn’t look right”. The latter requires a back and forth dialogue between the seller and the buyer.

Personally, I request that the buyer contact me first because all my gigs are art-related. I want to make sure that the image I create is tailored close to the Client’s vision as much as possible. I try to keep open communication and ask for feedback during the whole process.

I think that Fiverr should then create an option where the only way to purchase from the seller is to message them first. It could be an option you toggle on and off.

That’s my point. The fact that such option doesn’t exist means you’re going to get orders you don’t want, unless your prices are too high which means buyers are less likely to message you, except for hagglers.

Pre-order communication is often annoying, suppose I’m in bed, ready to go to sleep, and someone messages me 5 minutes ago. How will he feel if I respond 8 hours later? But if he orders right away, and I don’t have questions, maybe I’ll be able to deliver the order that very day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, good day to you. For me personally I love with a buyer contacts me before ordering. Why? Because I feel its best to have a conversation to truly understand the buyers needs so that I can deliver exactly what they desire. Sometimes in a conversation with a buyer I find that what they desire becomes even clearer to them and inst that why we offer our services to ensure that our clients gets the best result for there money? Remember no clients means no business. Have a great day.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience as a buyer has shown that it is best to message a seller prior to ordering. Of course there is a delay but you are saving yourself from unpleasant surprises.

Some time ago I needed to buy some simple gigs from a few models. I was in a hurry so I just read gig descriptions and reviews and ordered without messaging first. Two sellers never delivered or replied. So after the cancellation I was left not only with delay in my project but also with some dollars in my Fiverr balance that I was not allowed to withdraw, but only use for future purchases.

This is not a tragedy of course, but it was not a pleasure. Since then I always message. Hopefully the sellers don’t get annoyed 🙂

• 4 months later...

My experience as a buyer has shown that it is best to message a seller prior to ordering. Of course there is a delay but you are saving yourself from unpleasant surprises.

Some time ago I needed to buy some simple gigs from a few models. I was in a hurry so I just read gig descriptions and reviews and ordered without messaging first. Two sellers never delivered or replied. So after the cancellation I was left not only with delay in my project but also with some dollars in my Fiverr balance that I was not allowed to withdraw, but only use for future purchases.

This is not a tragedy of course, but it was not a pleasure. Since then I always message. Hopefully the sellers don’t get annoyed 🙂

My experience as a buyer has shown that it is best to message a seller prior to ordering.

As a seller, I don’t mind one or two questions, but it’s really annoying when I’m asked about prices, or what happens if they don’t like my work.

I told him I don’t like to work for free (that happens when you refund). This what his response:

“no one works for free, it is a question anyone would ask, what is your protocol if the names are not what we are looking for? Do you help revise them, or you charge for next round, but thank you I got my answer no wonder why you on fiverr selling your self.”

I am this close to blocking him. He hasn’t even ordered and is already insulting me: “no wonder why you on fiverr selling your self.”

I’m selling my talents! Buyers are so annoying sometimes.

This is one of the biggest headaches for sellers.
Some people order gigs like they purchase retail goods on amazon.
I have mention in all of my gigs for buyers to contact me before ordering,
but still I get orders from people without contacting. That means there
are buyers who order gigs just based on cover image and title.
Very sad. Fiverr should give an option for buyers to accept or reject
order based on their availability and relevance of the task.

• 2 weeks later...

1- Most of the buyers check that you are availableb or not
2- Some of buyers want custom things with some unique ideas
3- Some of just compare price with 1 gig to another
4- Some of just wasting time and contact us 😭

As a Wordpress Developer most of the client wants some weird things on there website or just have to confirm that i can do that or not 😋
I am enjoying when they ask me can i do this or not 😜
I will show my portfolio and tell him/her accept my custom offer and take rest :star_struck:

• 3 weeks later...

2- Some of buyers want custom things with some unique ideas

3- Some of just compare price with 1 gig to another

4- Some of just wasting time and contact us 😭

As a Wordpress Developer most of the client wants some weird things on there website or just have to confirm that i can do that or not 😋

I am enjoying when they ask me can i do this or not 😜

I will show my portfolio and tell him/her accept my custom offer and take rest :star_struck:

Buyers don’t have to contact you, or ask for permission to order 24/hour delivery.

If you’re angry that Fiverr punishes you for refunding orders, that’s another issue, but it’s not the buyers fault.

To me this is no different than eBay or Amazon, I see something I like, I’m going to place an order. The only exception is if I have questions and doubts.

If you’re not on vacation, if your gig is live, then you’re available. That’s what sellers need to understand.

As a Wordpress Developer most of the client wants some weird things on there website or just have to confirm that i can do that or no

That’s true, and maybe someday Fiverr will give us the option to refund orders without penalty. That’s how Fiverr used to be in the good all days, there was no ridiculous order completion rate standard.

Now things have changed, it’s the same with the “blind review system” that forces us to write “thank you for your order” unless we know that the buyer was a jerk and very likely to give a bad review.

When i comes to Fiverr i noticed it strange that sellers just offering a small segment of their expertise in form of gig … and buyers purchase it if that match their need … in this way buyers totally ignore other traits and skills a seller have … Obviously!!! it’s not standard way of hiring a worker where employer shares all details about his project even the company background and sometime personal like and dislikes … So the essential part form where ones creativity starts is missing here… Most of seller perform in standard way and they can customize their services according to client needs but they are bound to offer only a small piece of services in shape of GIG 😃 Unfortunately we can not change Fiverr’s working environment and system but we must find some way to force buyer to come to chat before getting order … But i guess on fiverr buyer also do not have this tradition and they don’t bother to talk much … 😄 My conclusion is that Fiverr is more likely based on Buying and Selling concept rather Hiring best talent and get most of it!!!

When i comes to Fiverr i noticed it strange that sellers just offering a small segment of their expertise in form of gig … and buyers purchase it if that match their need … in this way buyers totally ignore other traits and skills a seller have … Obviously!!! it’s not standard way of hiring a worker where employer shares all details about his project even the company background and sometime personal like and dislikes … So the essential part form where ones creativity starts is missing here… Most of seller perform in standard way and they can customize their services according to client needs but they are bound to offer only a small piece of services in shape of GIG 😃 Unfortunately we can not change Fiverr’s working environment and system but we must find some way to force buyer to come to chat before getting order … But i guess on fiverr buyer also do not have this tradition and they don’t bother to talk much … 😄 My conclusion is that Fiverr is more likely based on Buying and Selling concept rather Hiring best talent and get most of it!!!

I agree, at least partially. Fiverr should allow more options/customization of gigs so they can be better for what the client needs and also their source content. So that will involve more specific pricing. They should also allow more gigs per level, as well as options to only have gigs for offers (eg. for buyer requests or in response to a buyer’s message/custom offer request. Allowing a lot more gigs with a lot more customization would make better use of a seller’s skills.

i guess on fiverr buyer also do not have this tradition and they don’t bother to talk much

If you put a “please contact before ordering” in the description of a gig where you need it/need it most, most potential buyers of the gig (though not all) will contact you first. Though doing that isn’t a substitute for a proper accept/reject option on gigs that need it, but it will help.

I agree, at least partially. Fiverr should allow more options/customization of gigs so they can be better for what the client needs and also their source content. So that will involve more specific pricing. They should also allow more gigs per level, as well as options to only have gigs for offers (eg. for buyer requests or in response to a buyer’s message/custom offer request. Allowing a lot more gigs with a lot more customization would make better use of a seller’s skills.

i guess on fiverr buyer also do not have this tradition and they don’t bother to talk much

If you put a “please contact before ordering” in the description of a gig where you need it/need it most, most potential buyers of the gig (though not all) will contact you first. Though doing that isn’t a substitute for a proper accept/reject option on gigs that need it, but it will help.

Thank you uk1000 for your suggestions … yes i personally like and use to discuss with client before starting work on a project regardless project is small or big … I would defiantly try to put “Please contact before ordering” and let see what response i get … or otherwise i have to sink with Fiverr system …In fact i am working as freelancer for more than 5 years but i was using different site where i did hundreds of project most of them were big ones and yes off course small one too … but i never get a project unless it talk to client first … Let see who compromise with whom ??? :thinking:

Nice piece @flomaestro

I totally agree with you. This is because, in the real life (offline) shopping :shopping_cart: and business outfit, when you want to make a purchase, you MUST make contact (one-on-one) or otherwise in order to make clarifications and by extension, payment when satisfied about the product you are ordering or paying for.

Likewise on Fiverr, I see nothing wrong with asking questions or contacting a seller before ordering a gig, because, the seller may be unavailable or unable to work ⚒️ on such order at that point in time.

Thanks Flo, I love this post.

Archived