Why Buyers MUST contact seller before ordering

flomaestro

This is one of the biggest headaches for sellers.
Some people order gigs like they purchase retail goods on amazon.
I have mention in all of my gigs for buyers to contact me before ordering,
but still I get orders from people without contacting. That means there
are buyers who order gigs just based on cover image and title.
Very sad. Fiverr should give an option for buyers to accept or reject
order based on their availability and relevance of the task.

• Like 6
  • Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

1- Most of the buyers check that you are availableb or not
2- Some of buyers want custom things with some unique ideas
3- Some of just compare price with 1 gig to another
4- Some of just wasting time and contact us 😭

As a Wordpress Developer most of the client wants some weird things on there website or just have to confirm that i can do that or not 😋
I am enjoying when they ask me can i do this or not 😜
I will show my portfolio and tell him/her accept my custom offer and take rest :star_struck:

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

My experience as a buyer has shown that it is best to message a seller prior to ordering. Of course there is a delay but you are saving yourself from unpleasant surprises.

Some time ago I needed to buy some simple gigs from a few models. I was in a hurry so I just read gig descriptions and reviews and ordered without messaging first. Two sellers never delivered or replied. So after the cancellation I was left not only with delay in my project but also with some dollars in my Fiverr balance that I was not allowed to withdraw, but only use for future purchases.

This is not a tragedy of course, but it was not a pleasure. Since then I always message. Hopefully the sellers don’t get annoyed 🙂

• Like 5

2- Some of buyers want custom things with some unique ideas

3- Some of just compare price with 1 gig to another

4- Some of just wasting time and contact us 😭

As a Wordpress Developer most of the client wants some weird things on there website or just have to confirm that i can do that or not 😋

I am enjoying when they ask me can i do this or not 😜

I will show my portfolio and tell him/her accept my custom offer and take rest :star_struck:

Buyers don’t have to contact you, or ask for permission to order 24/hour delivery.

If you’re angry that Fiverr punishes you for refunding orders, that’s another issue, but it’s not the buyers fault.

To me this is no different than eBay or Amazon, I see something I like, I’m going to place an order. The only exception is if I have questions and doubts.

If you’re not on vacation, if your gig is live, then you’re available. That’s what sellers need to understand.

As a Wordpress Developer most of the client wants some weird things on there website or just have to confirm that i can do that or no

That’s true, and maybe someday Fiverr will give us the option to refund orders without penalty. That’s how Fiverr used to be in the good all days, there was no ridiculous order completion rate standard.

Now things have changed, it’s the same with the “blind review system” that forces us to write “thank you for your order” unless we know that the buyer was a jerk and very likely to give a bad review.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When i comes to Fiverr i noticed it strange that sellers just offering a small segment of their expertise in form of gig … and buyers purchase it if that match their need … in this way buyers totally ignore other traits and skills a seller have … Obviously!!! it’s not standard way of hiring a worker where employer shares all details about his project even the company background and sometime personal like and dislikes … So the essential part form where ones creativity starts is missing here… Most of seller perform in standard way and they can customize their services according to client needs but they are bound to offer only a small piece of services in shape of GIG 😃 Unfortunately we can not change Fiverr’s working environment and system but we must find some way to force buyer to come to chat before getting order … But i guess on fiverr buyer also do not have this tradition and they don’t bother to talk much … 😄 My conclusion is that Fiverr is more likely based on Buying and Selling concept rather Hiring best talent and get most of it!!!

• Like 6
  • Up 1

When i comes to Fiverr i noticed it strange that sellers just offering a small segment of their expertise in form of gig … and buyers purchase it if that match their need … in this way buyers totally ignore other traits and skills a seller have … Obviously!!! it’s not standard way of hiring a worker where employer shares all details about his project even the company background and sometime personal like and dislikes … So the essential part form where ones creativity starts is missing here… Most of seller perform in standard way and they can customize their services according to client needs but they are bound to offer only a small piece of services in shape of GIG 😃 Unfortunately we can not change Fiverr’s working environment and system but we must find some way to force buyer to come to chat before getting order … But i guess on fiverr buyer also do not have this tradition and they don’t bother to talk much … 😄 My conclusion is that Fiverr is more likely based on Buying and Selling concept rather Hiring best talent and get most of it!!!

I agree, at least partially. Fiverr should allow more options/customization of gigs so they can be better for what the client needs and also their source content. So that will involve more specific pricing. They should also allow more gigs per level, as well as options to only have gigs for offers (eg. for buyer requests or in response to a buyer’s message/custom offer request. Allowing a lot more gigs with a lot more customization would make better use of a seller’s skills.

i guess on fiverr buyer also do not have this tradition and they don’t bother to talk much

If you put a “please contact before ordering” in the description of a gig where you need it/need it most, most potential buyers of the gig (though not all) will contact you first. Though doing that isn’t a substitute for a proper accept/reject option on gigs that need it, but it will help.

• Like 7

I agree, at least partially. Fiverr should allow more options/customization of gigs so they can be better for what the client needs and also their source content. So that will involve more specific pricing. They should also allow more gigs per level, as well as options to only have gigs for offers (eg. for buyer requests or in response to a buyer’s message/custom offer request. Allowing a lot more gigs with a lot more customization would make better use of a seller’s skills.

i guess on fiverr buyer also do not have this tradition and they don’t bother to talk much

If you put a “please contact before ordering” in the description of a gig where you need it/need it most, most potential buyers of the gig (though not all) will contact you first. Though doing that isn’t a substitute for a proper accept/reject option on gigs that need it, but it will help.

Thank you uk1000 for your suggestions … yes i personally like and use to discuss with client before starting work on a project regardless project is small or big … I would defiantly try to put “Please contact before ordering” and let see what response i get … or otherwise i have to sink with Fiverr system …In fact i am working as freelancer for more than 5 years but i was using different site where i did hundreds of project most of them were big ones and yes off course small one too … but i never get a project unless it talk to client first … Let see who compromise with whom ??? :thinking:

• Like 7
  • Congrats! 1

Nice piece @flomaestro

I totally agree with you. This is because, in the real life (offline) shopping :shopping_cart: and business outfit, when you want to make a purchase, you MUST make contact (one-on-one) or otherwise in order to make clarifications and by extension, payment when satisfied about the product you are ordering or paying for.

Likewise on Fiverr, I see nothing wrong with asking questions or contacting a seller before ordering a gig, because, the seller may be unavailable or unable to work ⚒️ on such order at that point in time.

Thanks Flo, I love this post.

• Like 7

I love when my buyers contact me, as it is a way to build a relationship with them. So far this week - 80% of my orders have come from buyers who have purchased previously - 2 of them not since 2016. They now need updates to their previous work and because I took the little bit of extra time to communicate with them, they came back to me, rather than find a new seller.

Sure you can pump your orders out with minimal communication if that is your preference, but I’d prefer to build long lasting customer relationships. I don’t demand buyers contact me first - as some don’t want to, but welcome those that do. I think it makes an all-around better experience for everyone.

Yes i agreed and prefer to work exactly you do! Long run Good working relations helps to understand client more accurately … and every next project with same client takes less time and it’s more according to client wishes… I am working with some clients for a long time in start they had to spend lots of time to in communication and explaining things to me … but now they just ask me to do it and i know how to do it and what they need exactly … it’s good for me as i have repeated order without spending time on new client search and it good for my clients as well as they don’t have to find a trustworthy worker every time they need on short notice… 🙂

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To be sure to deliver exactly what the buyer need I need to ask few questions before he or she place an order, this will make sure that both agree on the gig cost and most importantly that i I’m 100% sure to deliver quality work so we both be happy.

• Like 5

To have all parties on the same page: No need, if I’m selling e-mails and you buy my gig, you get an e-mail. We’re all on the same page.

To avoid needless dispute resolution: Not true, I’ve had many complicated clients that messaged before ordering.

To avoid delay: On the contrary, messages delay order completion. Clients can make you wait 24 hours before accepting a custom offer.

To assess seller’s competence: You can do that from my reviews and portfolio samples.

To assess seller’s commitment: See above

To avoid hurting the seller’s reputation, even if you don’t want to. Cancellation hurts sellers more than buyers.

There’s no guarantee you will be a good buyer

To enhance productivity of both parties

On the contrary, Fiverr was designed for quick orders. You want bids and messages? Go to People Per Hour, have fun with their delays.

Improve your health condition. A good job makes you happy, which inturn results into healthy state of mind.

Waking up to several orders improves my health condition. Waking up with just messages drives me crazy.

Personally, I think messages are rude. I don’t message unless I want something you’re not selling, something controversial you’re likely to reject, I need a valid reason to bother the seller, and yet so many sellers think they can bother sellers with stupid questions.

Do you really need to ask me how much, how long, what’s my process? I don’t ask graphic designers how they come up with ideas, it’s none of my business. The only thing that matters is the work I get.

I may agree with you on some points but other then that i think is all personal preference and depends on the type of work you are selling , if i’m selling emails ok you’ll get an email , but if some graphic designer is doing a logo for a company and the buyer tells nothing about what he needs he will get a logo that might not fit his/her business , we for example do photography and we have to know what someone has in mind for a certain type of job , and even with that we got a 4 star review … you guys have no clue what the hell happened , can’t imagine without a message

• Like 8

I may agree with you on some points but other then that i think is all personal preference and depends on the type of work you are selling , if i’m selling emails ok you’ll get an email , but if some graphic designer is doing a logo for a company and the buyer tells nothing about what he needs he will get a logo that might not fit his/her business , we for example do photography and we have to know what someone has in mind for a certain type of job , and even with that we got a 4 star review … you guys have no clue what the hell happened , can’t imagine without a message

Either situation requires a little imagination. Sometimes I just get a web link, and have to create an e-mail out of that. I think the same can be done for logos, although you can always ask your client for examples of logos he likes, if applicable. I think non-graphic designers struggle expressing themselves visually.

The blind review system is frustrating. One thing I did the other day was write this: “If you are not happy with my work, you are entitled to one free revision. Please use the modification button.” Of course, while this might prevent a bad review, anything can happen later on.

• Like 9

Either situation requires a little imagination. Sometimes I just get a web link, and have to create an e-mail out of that. I think the same can be done for logos, although you can always ask your client for examples of logos he likes, if applicable. I think non-graphic designers struggle expressing themselves visually.

The blind review system is frustrating. One thing I did the other day was write this: “If you are not happy with my work, you are entitled to one free revision. Please use the modification button.” Of course, while this might prevent a bad review, anything can happen later on.

Yes , agree with that , but sometimes even with messages there are still problems , check out what happened to me here ( Dear buyer , i think you are confused ) , but on the other hand we had great experiences with buyers that bought a gig without sending a message , of course we spoken about it later , but it just depends , that’s what i think , i personally prefer to see a message before someone buying a gig or demanding for something that it’s completely unrelated to that gig , like someone buying a 10 USD gig and needing a complete shoot with a whole team of photographers , models , cars and so on ahah . Anyways i think that the idea got trough ahaha

• Like 8

Hello. I have done some orders without buyer contact me first but fortunately these orders went really good. But i also believe contact before order is really important. Both seller and buyer have a better and clear vision for the project. You can also add this to your description (something like: please feel free to contact me before the order).

Thanks
Maria S.

• Like 5

Hello. I create illustrations and it happens to me time after time that buyer places an order without reading my gig’s conditions and contacting me first. He orders the cheapest package for 5 dollars and wants me create a big illustration that cost more that 150 dollars in my gig. Surely he doesn’t want to pay more and I have to cancel such order. Then my completion rating falls.

I have a big note in my profile and my gig’s description that buyer needs to contact me BEFORE purchasing.

I think this system is absolutely unfair to the seller. And this is a good way to ruin your competitors’ career on Fiverr:rofl:. Just order something from them and then don’t reply. The Support has no solution for the seller in this situation.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I don’t agree with this at all. There are lots of freelance sites where negotiation has to take place before a project starts. Bids and proposals must be submitted. I started as a buyer and I always skipped gigs that said “Contact First”-I didn’t want to have a big back and forth, I just wanted to order my book covers.

Now I’m a seller and I’d also rather people just order my gig.

If the buyer orders the wrong thing, it can be cancelled. I think maybe it’s because I was a manager at Home Depot for so long, but I’m never going to get stressed about analytics and level status. There are always going to be things outside of our control that affect those things. It was the same thing at Home Depot. Slow customers would mess up cashiers’ scan time. They were also judged on how many customers filled out the survey. None of it’s fair, but that’s fine. It’s all about doing the best you can and brushing it off when stuff happens outside of your control.

I’d rather cancel orders when the buyer is asking for things I don’t offer, than go back and forth and waste time discussing it first.

If a seller is overbooked, they can pause gigs or limit the number of orders in que.

The buyer is the customer. This is customer service. We can’t put that burden of responsibility on them. They don’t want to read gig descriptions or communicate before hand, I feel that’s up to them.

I really like that Fiverr is set up more as an online store. It sets it apart from the other freelance sites.

@jenihiggs I agree with you.

• Like 4