Tell me how you feel about Pro sellers and Pro gigs

paulmaplesden

Particularly with the issues regarding search in the past few months, for a small group of sellers who are already getting a fair amount of promotion to be superglued to the front page of all results is pretty unfair and undeserved.

I do not think that switch is turned on by default though, I just checked in an incognito window and it doesn’t seem to be, although it would be great if others could check. When I am logged in as a seller, it is switched on by default.

Do you think that switch shouldn’t be there at all, and Pro gigs should have to compete in the search results based purely on their own merits?

Do you think that switch shouldn’t be there at all, and Pro gigs should have to compete in the search results based purely on their own merits?

For me it is off by default but I don’t remember, I may have switched it off initially.

The switch is actually a good idea from a UX point of view as those who are here specifically for pro gigs can get to them easily, my issue is with the artificially high placement in “organic” results.

Regarding sharing my stats

I just reread my comment above and it sounds like I was saying you don’t deserve the placement and I want to clarify:

Some basic math would suggest you do deserve a high placement, based on revenue and not conversion rate - that’s fine by me - my issue is with the other sellers who have not made anything like the number of sales you have yet are still in top spot. For example, I would imagine that @frank_d deserves to be on the first page in the video category based on revenue from his Pro gig as one or two sales brings in more than 20 sales of lower priced gigs. Ultimately, this would need a much more complex algorithm (which should also give a chance to newer gigs/sellers) and I just don’t know if that is possible or reasonable to expect from Fiverr.

Edit: Just tried going to Writing&Translation>Articles & Blog Posts and the switch was on by default.

Edit 2: Oh wow - I just switched off the switch, refreshed the page and it was switched on again! Hmmmm. I think that is a recent change. Would like to hear if it is the same for others. When logged out, it is off.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest offlinehelpers

Up until now, levels have mattered little on the forum - I’ve always treated it as the only place where levels/earnings etc. didn’t really matter.

That doesn’t seem to be the case now as it all feels like one big competition.

I love chatting to everybody on the forum, and don’t care what level they are or whether they’re a buyer or a seller. I don’t need to know what level a forum user is before I join them in a conversation.

For me it is off by default but I don’t remember, I may have switched it off initially.

The switch is actually a good idea from a UX point of view as those who are here specifically for pro gigs can get to them easily, my issue is with the artificially high placement in “organic” results.

Regarding sharing my stats

I just reread my comment above and it sounds like I was saying you don’t deserve the placement and I want to clarify:

Some basic math would suggest you do deserve a high placement, based on revenue and not conversion rate - that’s fine by me - my issue is with the other sellers who have not made anything like the number of sales you have yet are still in top spot. For example, I would imagine that @frank_d deserves to be on the first page in the video category based on revenue from his Pro gig as one or two sales brings in more than 20 sales of lower priced gigs. Ultimately, this would need a much more complex algorithm (which should also give a chance to newer gigs/sellers) and I just don’t know if that is possible or reasonable to expect from Fiverr.

Edit: Just tried going to Writing&Translation>Articles & Blog Posts and the switch was on by default.

Edit 2: Oh wow - I just switched off the switch, refreshed the page and it was switched on again! Hmmmm. I think that is a recent change. Would like to hear if it is the same for others. When logged out, it is off.

as one or two sales brings in more than 20 sales of lower priced gigs

it’s more like 40-60 actually. 🙂

But I agee about taking revenue into account.

Not just for gig placement, but also when it comes to reviews.

Let’s say I get a 1-star review on a $5 project. And a 5-star review on an $8.000 one.

Those two should bear different weight.

When it comes to gig placements though, Fiverr should try and promote expensive gigs, but also sellers that close.

ABC if I can quote Baldwin correctly. 🙂

So if a gig has a $100 price tag and it converts better than a more expensive gig, then the odds would sort of even out.

I don’t think Fiverr’s algo works like that right now.

Up until now, levels have mattered little on the forum - I’ve always treated it as the only place where levels/earnings etc. didn’t really matter.

I love chatting to everybody on the forum, and don’t care what level they are or whether they’re a buyer or a seller. I don’t need to know what level a forum user is before I join them in a conversation.

Do you feel this is partly due to Pro gigs being introduced, and Pro sellers being on the forum? Or is there something different / bigger at play?

Guest jacobruch01

You’re obligated to start cheap even if you offer better quality than those Pro Sellers or Pro Gigs.

Maybe I’m wrong on this point.

I must say I don’t see it like that. I do see some conversations where things get heated based on levels/pro/not-pro etc but this could happen with anything - the same happens in category vs category for example and is to be expected as people tend to compete and defend THEIR point of view.

Levels etc certainly don’t matter in terms of what is allowed to be said and users of all levels are flagged regularly and treated the same in terms of moderation.

I love chatting to everybody on the forum

You are one of the nicest posters in the forum and you are very patient with people. I could never be as patient as you are, lol.

You’re obligated to start cheap even if you offer better quality than those Pro Sellers or Pro Gigs.

Maybe I’m wrong on this point.

Isn’t that the case with the marketplace as a whole though? Is there something about Pro gigs that makes that a specific issue?

Do you feel this is partly due to Pro gigs being introduced, and Pro sellers being on the forum? Or is there something different / bigger at play?

Hey @paulmaplesden please allow me to give you a little insight:

Gigs have their ups and downs all the time.

People tend to come here on the forum to vent.

When sales are low, we see a spike in posts about search algorithm tweaks, the system has a bug, people with less reviews did this and that, unfair changes in the system, etc.

After the Pro feature was introduced, the majority of sellers on this platform were blindsided.

They not only did not see it coming -even though Fiverr staff posted relevant questionnaires time and time again- but they also saw gig labeled as “pro” and took offense in that.

They also saw that search results now favored Pro gigs.

So it was inevitable that the next thing to blame for poor performance would be the new “unfair” feature imposed on them.

I also noticed that people were quick to dismiss it, declaring how they couldn’t care less about becoming Pro sellers, only to see them a few weeks later jumping for joy when they were accepted.

So in my head, most of the complaints on here, talk about unfairness and how Pro sellers are getting special treatment.

Guest offlinehelpers

I must say I don’t see it like that. I do see some conversations where things get heated based on levels/pro/not-pro etc but this could happen with anything - the same happens in category vs category for example and is to be expected as people tend to compete and defend THEIR point of view.

Levels etc certainly don’t matter in terms of what is allowed to be said and users of all levels are flagged regularly and treated the same in terms of moderation.

That’s not what I meant Eoin - I didn’t mean that people were treated differently on the forum depending on their level - of course they’re not! 🙂

Most folks round here know I’m Scottish, but I do talk about things other than Scotland.

Guest jacobruch01

Isn’t that the case with the marketplace as a whole though? Is there something about Pro gigs that makes that a specific issue?

Over saturated categories can cause you to waste a lot of time getting clients, when someone has a Pro tag can get a Gig faster and cause new competitors to stay under the rug for a long time.

This is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Hey @paulmaplesden please allow me to give you a little insight:

Gigs have their ups and downs all the time.

People tend to come here on the forum to vent.

When sales are low, we see a spike in posts about search algorithm tweaks, the system has a bug, people with less reviews did this and that, unfair changes in the system, etc.

After the Pro feature was introduced, the majority of sellers on this platform were blindsided.

They not only did not see it coming -even though Fiverr staff posted relevant questionnaires time and time again- but they also saw gig labeled as “pro” and took offense in that.

They also saw that search results now favored Pro gigs.

So it was inevitable that the next thing to blame for poor performance would be the new “unfair” feature imposed on them.

I also noticed that people were quick to dismiss it, declaring how they couldn’t care less about becoming Pro sellers, only to see them a few weeks later jumping for joy when they were accepted.

So in my head, most of the complaints on here, talk about unfairness and how Pro sellers are getting special treatment.

I find it funny that nobody has ever complained about the “Newbie Filter” feature (Newest Arrivals) yet the same feature, albeit better placed, for Pro sellers got quite a bit of hate. There is also a filter available to show each level so it is hardly a big deal.

Yeah, it was nice of Fiverr to introduce Pro so the conversation could move away from the Algo-blaming for a while. It was refreshing for those forum users who are on here a lot to see something new being blamed.

That’s not what I meant Eoin - I didn’t mean that people were treated differently on the forum depending on their level - of course they’re not! 🙂

Most folks round here know I’m Scottish, but I do talk about things other than Scotland.

If I was Scottish, I would mention that in every post. Missing Edinburgh and the Highlands already.

I find it funny that nobody has ever complained about the “Newbie Filter” feature (Newest Arrivals) yet the same feature, albeit better placed, for Pro sellers got quite a bit of hate. There is also a filter available to show each level so it is hardly a big deal.

Yeah, it was nice of Fiverr to introduce Pro so the conversation could move away from the Algo-blaming for a while. It was refreshing for those forum users who are on here a lot to see something new being blamed.

So, serious question to you and @frank_d given your much longer tenure. Do you think that part of the concern with Pro is simply bercause it’s the newest thing / flavor of the month, or are there underlying, fundamental concerns not related to that?

So, serious question to you and @frank_d given your much longer tenure. Do you think that part of the concern with Pro is simply bercause it’s the newest thing / flavor of the month, or are there underlying, fundamental concerns not related to that?

It’s a mixture of

-jealousy (pro sellers looks like an exclusive club for now) like “why them and not me” and they also see the Pro pricing and feel like we offer the same quality as $5 gigs at outrageous prices.

-frustration (low sales, algorithm mystery issues, average prices is at fault, etc)

-ignorance People legit still trat the pro feature like a mystery process. They don’t know about the criteria, they still think pro sellers are related to Fiverr staff or in general receiving preferential treatment.

Do you think that part of the concern with Pro is simply bercause it’s the newest thing / flavor of the month, or are there underlying, fundamental concerns not related to that?

A bit of both to be honest. With this large a platform, there are going to be a lot of people with different opinions on every single issue. Do a poll with questions based on “The value of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream” and there will be heated discussion on how Phish Food is from heaven and Peanut Butter Cup should be used as a torture device - or that all ice-cream is awful/food of the gods etc.

There are many who want things to “go back to how they used to be” but “how they used to be” for many other people was bad. I personally like to see a company at least trying different things to ensure they stay relevant but others believe that you should not try to fix it if it isn’t broken.

I think it is this polarized feedback that ensures Fiverr and other large platforms don’t ask before implementing things. If they did, then everyone who disagreed with it would feel they were ignored and whether you make your clients/staff feel good or bad with a decision, you don’t want them to feel ignored as that will lead to them leaving.

Do you think that part of the concern with Pro is simply bercause it’s the newest thing / flavor of the month, or are there underlying, fundamental concerns not related to that?

A bit of both to be honest. With this large a platform, there are going to be a lot of people with different opinions on every single issue. Do a poll with questions based on “The value of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream” and there will be heated discussion on how Phish Food is from heaven and Peanut Butter Cup should be used as a torture device - or that all ice-cream is awful/food of the gods etc.

There are many who want things to “go back to how they used to be” but “how they used to be” for many other people was bad. I personally like to see a company at least trying different things to ensure they stay relevant but others believe that you should not try to fix it if it isn’t broken.

I think it is this polarized feedback that ensures Fiverr and other large platforms don’t ask before implementing things. If they did, then everyone who disagreed with it would feel they were ignored and whether you make your clients/staff feel good or bad with a decision, you don’t want them to feel ignored as that will lead to them leaving.

whether you make your clients/staff feel good or bad with a decision, you don’t want them to feel ignored

So just ignore everyone equally.

To add to what @offlinehelpers said…I’ve been a TRS for many years, so has MissCrystal and the one we dare not name. With us it has never been like “LOOK AT US WE ARE TRS”. These days I come to the forum and I see posts like this screaming out “LOOK AT ME I AM PRO”. LOL… Anyway, I’m out, it’s almost 10 pm here.

“LOOK AT ME I AM PRO”

Is that just me (in which case, my apologies, I am just trying to provide context for my threads / statements) or do other Pros do that too?

To add to what @offlinehelpers said…I’ve been a TRS for many years, so has MissCrystal and the one we dare not name. With us it has never been like “LOOK AT US WE ARE TRS”. These days I come to the forum and I see posts like this screaming out “LOOK AT ME I AM PRO”. LOL… Anyway, I’m out, it’s almost 10 pm here.

There were a few posts of people celebrating being accepted, but other than that I don’t see that.

Guest logo1987

pro sellers deserve it , is the badge yes or never ! i would say as a new user that a goal will be more focused on establishing rather then just accumulations . for me fiverr is a professional work place . if all freelances get pro in less then a year this means a lot and also for the community .

• pro badge is a pro submission nothing less nothing more

Guest jacobruch01

How you describe a top seller can offer a full premium campaign that cost $350 in total, while a Pro seller offer the same at $3000 price tag, explain that to me?

How you describe a top seller can offer a full premium campaign that cost $350 in total, while a Pro seller offer the same at $3000 price tag, explain that to me?

That’s not really what this thread is about, and I suggest you ask that question elsewhere on the forum. It would probably be worth another thread by itself.

Guest jacobruch01

That’s not really what this thread is about, and I suggest you ask that question elsewhere on the forum. It would probably be worth another thread by itself.

I just suggest that, you can skip it as my previous comments.

Archived