I really think it is unethical and Fiverr should do something about it

abdulmoti

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And to the OP: actually this explains why there are so many idiots in good positions. I witnessed people who had studied economics and they couldn’t even tell the difference between a call and a put option. Not to begin over the underlying value. Unbelievable.

It also helps if Daddy or a close family friend is generally in charge at the company.

It’s not worth getting bitter about… money’s the language that talks. Ethics doesn’t get a look in, and if you want to be ethical, you’d better enjoy not being terribly successful. Look at Edison’s career v Tesla for an example.

It also helps if Daddy or a close family friend is generally in charge at the company.

It’s not worth getting bitter about… money’s the language that talks. Ethics doesn’t get a look in, and if you want to be ethical, you’d better enjoy not being terribly successful. Look at Edison’s career v Tesla for an example.

Edison took advantage of Tesla but to be fair, Tesla was terrible at business. Still Tesla did discover alternating current and got almost nothing for it. He was not even given credit for it at the time.

I had a terrible college roommate who purchased every paper she had to turn in.

He was, but I think that was largely down to having a more idealized world in his head, and he was a gentle man. Edison? I know a lot of four-letter words to describe him, but he did know his marketing… He wanted to share all this stuff. Remember Edison deliberately electrocuting an elephant to make Tesla’s stuff (AC) look bad? Also, as always, rich and powerful people lurked in the background.

We can say it’s unethical and someone should do something about it, but as we type, we’re funneling money into the companies that profit from something that could have been free…a bit like how petroleum companies buy up alternative energy sources then hide them in a vault forever.

I’m not going to get worked up about some idiot getting a $5 college essay. The world turns…

He was, but I think that was largely down to having a more idealized world in his head, and he was a gentle man. Edison? I know a lot of four-letter words to describe him, but he did know his marketing… He wanted to share all this stuff. Remember Edison deliberately electrocuting an elephant to make Tesla’s stuff (AC) look bad? Also, as always, rich and powerful people lurked in the background.

We can say it’s unethical and someone should do something about it, but as we type, we’re funneling money into the companies that profit from something that could have been free…a bit like how petroleum companies buy up alternative energy sources then hide them in a vault forever.

I’m not going to get worked up about some idiot getting a $5 college essay. The world turns…

Edison deliberately electrocuting an elephant

That ancient film of that stands out in my mind as one of the most awful things I’ve ever seen. It was done as a publicity stunt. At the time no one had any compassion for elephants at all. Tesla’s big experiment with turning the earth into a giant battery was fascinating.

Edison deliberately electrocuting an elephant

That ancient film of that stands out in my mind as one of the most awful things I’ve ever seen. It was done as a publicity stunt. At the time no one had any compassion for elephants at all. Tesla’s big experiment with turning the earth into a giant battery was fascinating.

Poor old Topsy, indeed. (yes, that was the elephant’s name)

Did OP just come in here to make two bitter complaints before swanning off again? C’mon, OP. As you can see, nobody really cares about your point and finds 100-year-old controversy more important. Ditto for your other post.

EDIT: also that sarah is a banned ex-user who copy pastes everything, and is an unexpert.

Did OP just come in here to make two bitter complaints before swanning off again? C’mon, OP. As you can see, nobody really cares about your point and finds 100-year-old controversy more important. Ditto for your other post.

EDIT: also that sarah is a banned ex-user who copy pastes everything, and is an unexpert.

That’s the first I’ve seen someone copy and paste something someone said in the same thread.

That’s the first I’ve seen someone copy and paste something someone said in the same thread.

Well, what’s an expert to do when a native speaker expresses what they think in perfect English? Copy it without attribution in the lamest way possible, of course! The funny thing is that any buyer reading this now wonders if anything about Sarah is real: the reviews, the profile pic, the gig descriptions, the self-proclaimed expertise…

…everything except the location, which is a mistake, as she works at a US-based company. Chinny chinny reckon.

Well, what’s an expert to do when a native speaker expresses what they think in perfect English? Copy it without attribution in the lamest way possible, of course! The funny thing is that any buyer reading this now wonders if anything about Sarah is real: the reviews, the profile pic, the gig descriptions, the self-proclaimed expertise…

…everything except the location, which is a mistake, as she works at a US-based company. Chinny chinny reckon.

It’s funny and sickening at the same time.

Fiverr doesn’t have to do anything because I’m sure their teachers can spot the difference. Of the years I’ve been in school, every single teacher I had knew everyone’s writing style and didn’t have a problem whatsoever calling out students that half-cupcaked assignments. Besides if Fiverr did step in and try to “control” job posts of that nature, I’m pretty sure other buyers will get caught in the middle due to trigger words and what not.

Besides, where I live, employers are more concerned about work experience than actual education. Tell them you have such and such degrees with honors and they’ll say, “that’s nice but I’m more concerned about your work history.”

Fiverr doesn’t have to do anything because I’m sure their teachers can spot the difference. Of the years I’ve been in school, every single teacher I had knew everyone’s writing style and didn’t have a problem whatsoever calling out students that half-cupcaked assignments. Besides if Fiverr did step in and try to “control” job posts of that nature, I’m pretty sure other buyers will get caught in the middle due to trigger words and what not.

Besides, where I live, employers are more concerned about work experience than actual education. Tell them you have such and such degrees with honors and they’ll say, “that’s nice but I’m more concerned about your work history.”

That’s true. One of my FB groups is the evergreen “does anyone remember Mary Smith (nee Jones)” school group posts. I am allergic to this so I don’t join in, but the latest trend it keeping 20+ year old exercise books and showing off the cheeky wit of youth when faced with a question you don’t get, and the slightly exasperated teacher notes (which I do like! I have plenty, 3,000 miles away including a bored “nobody’s perfect” in response to a report on my general attitude and behavior. I got detention for that despite everyone having a chuckle.)

Any educator who is truly invested in their student’s success will notice straightaway if it’s plagiarized. In my university years, one bored lecturer mentioned that they were desperately easy to spot because “they always lift the same old shit because it sounds clever”.

That FB group mind. It’s like a glory years gone by train wreck. Curious. My favorite one is in the grips of an MLM and using FB to flog her shit–the best bit is silently watching everyone getting slightly more exasperated with her professional marketing skills and getting a bit ruder with each passing “PLZ BAY MY SHIT” post.

That kid is a millionaire, and heir to a fortune. He’s fine. I haven’t seen him for almost 2 decades now. I’m sure he’s fine though, aside from being thick as two short planks, he was a decent guy and he probably benefited from being in our environment.

I also note that you have taken to criticizing people for transcribing at $5/hour, which they have since altered.

You seem very concerned about what other people are doing. That’s not very healthy. Trust me, if you knew who I was talking about re: the kid, you’d be saying something very different.

I am not referring to that particular kid, besides, it is never the fault of the kids, kids are kids, and all kids have a potential, rich or poor or whatever their background is, adults suppose to guide them and build their character and I just think it is unethical to offer services to help kids cheat and do their assignments. You don’t find that wrong?

and I am not criticizing anyone just stating my opinion, people can charge whatever they want, and the person we are talking about did alter their prices and realized the amount of work it takes for that kind of work, just advising people to value their work more, isn’t that what this forum all about to learn from each other and get advice from each other, I have learned a lot from other people’s experiences. So don’t get me wrong, I am not criticizing anyone, just an opinion …

This is 100% legal. There are actual companies that will write essays for college students, some of them charge $100, some a lot more depending on the complexity of the topic and how soon the essay is needed. My best friend made a lot of money doing this when he was in college, he didn’t feel guilty because it’s the buyer who’s cheating himself out of an education, not the seller.

Also, if teachers made the students write essays in class, they would discover quickly who has the brains and who’s paying others to write for him.

Besides, is it really evil? What about rich kids who survive high school and college thanks to private tutors? What about expensive SAT prep courses? We all have different advantages and disadvantages, there’s no reason to be jealous or to demand we all be equally miserable.

Fiverr is a marketplace, questions or morality and ethics belong to the buyers and sellers. The marketplace itself should be amoral, it should simply butt out. Let us have any gig we want, that’s my dream.

I agree many parts of your post, I also disagree with other parts, SAT prep is not cheating, it is tutoring, and you right buyers is cheating himself out of an education but also could harm others in the long run depending of their future profession, also I think helping someone to cheat is the exact same thing of cheating. And other should not watch people doing unethical actions and not do something about it, if they could. At the end of the day, I just saw so many such activities that bothered me a lot and thought to express, let it out… And life goes on…

In Germany we have a case right now, 8 medical doctors from the same uni got their titles denied because of plagiarism, 3 revocations are legally binding so far, 5 still in court because the doctors filed suits.
The hare had been set running by an internetplatform, VroniPlag, who confronted the uni with a clustering of suspected cases.
The uni amended some regulations, for instance a thesis now forcibly has to be handed in in digital format as well, so it can be checked easier and purportedly the uni is constantly on the lookout for better software for sounding out submitted work.
It´s easier to cheat in the digital age with such things I guess, but it´s easier to catch cheats too, the race is on, what seems like a good idea today, may not seem like one one day in retrospect.
You people who are just getting tutored, have fun, you others, better make sure you don´t buy a too-little-spinned thesis or just, you know, like, write your own…

I agree many parts of your post, I also disagree with other parts, SAT prep is not cheating, it is tutoring, and you right buyers is cheating himself out of an education but also could harm others in the long run depending of their future profession, also I think helping someone to cheat is the exact same thing of cheating. And other should not watch people doing unethical actions and not do something about it, if they could. At the end of the day, I just saw so many such activities that bothered me a lot and thought to express, let it out… And life goes on…

I don’t think this will harm others. The marketplace is Darwinistic, only the strong survive while the weak are destroyed and forced to move into other things, or forced to improve. I’m bothered by other things. For example, today I’m unable to deliver an order because I’m getting "503 Service UnavailableNo server is available to handle this request."

That craps bothers me more than what other people are doing on Fiverr. I’m also bothered that I keep getting revision requests in spite of having this in my gig description:

"Please remember this is a subjective gig, influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions. I cannot guarantee you will like my work. "

I’m at my wit’s end with these people. So you see? At this point I would rather deal with a crook or scammer that pays for what he buys than a saint who demands a revision or a refund.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t think this will harm others. The marketplace is Darwinistic, only the strong survive while the weak are destroyed and forced to move into other things, or forced to improve. I’m bothered by other things. For example, today I’m unable to deliver an order because I’m getting "503 Service UnavailableNo server is available to handle this request."

That craps bothers me more than what other people are doing on Fiverr. I’m also bothered that I keep getting revision requests in spite of having this in my gig description:

"Please remember this is a subjective gig, influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions. I cannot guarantee you will like my work. "

I’m at my wit’s end with these people. So you see? At this point I would rather deal with a crook or scammer that pays for what he buys than a saint who demands a revision or a refund.

You got a point there 🙂 though still I am sure you would approve as part of this world citizen to face one day a doctor who cheated his way at school and is your only choice when you badly need saving.

We humans tend to not care until it happens to us, I have seen a doctor who had not even a high school in a country in Africa and many of his patients died of minor diseases, and somehow never was held accountable though the educated know that he is a school dropout, but the poor seems to still think he is a doctor out of not having alternative or the education to realize that he is a fraud. One would say it is the government’s fault, what if there is not government to mention there?

You got a point there 🙂 though still I am sure you would approve as part of this world citizen to face one day a doctor who cheated his way at school and is your only choice when you badly need saving.

We humans tend to not care until it happens to us, I have seen a doctor who had not even a high school in a country in Africa and many of his patients died of minor diseases, and somehow never was held accountable though the educated know that he is a school dropout, but the poor seems to still think he is a doctor out of not having alternative or the education to realize that he is a fraud. One would say it is the government’s fault, what if there is not government to mention there?

Right, but you’re comparing apples and oranges. A cheap Fiverr gig is not comparable to a fraudulent conman of a Doctor.

Right, but you’re comparing apples and oranges. A cheap Fiverr gig is not comparable to a fraudulent conman of a Doctor.

Agree, my point was just to avoid doing assignments for students, it harms them greatly, but again as someone mentioned, it is not illegal and ethics is subjective issue… so I rest my case… I have also noticed increase of assignment solving request, some even asked if someone can take exams for them. Yep I guess it is just business…

Agree, my point was just to avoid doing assignments for students, it harms them greatly, but again as someone mentioned, it is not illegal and ethics is subjective issue… so I rest my case… I have also noticed increase of assignment solving request, some even asked if someone can take exams for them. Yep I guess it is just business…

If the ethics of cheating is subjective, then I could say that the cheating Doctor is fine as his moral and ethical code dictates that it’s fine. After all, he knows how to talk the talk, roll a bandage around an arm and to send anything serious that he can’t handle elsewhere. It’s the thin end of the wedge, in other words.

While plagiarism may not be illegal, it can infringe on other’s intellectual copyright, which is something that you can be taken to court over. All that, for $5. Besides, the only people performing this service in general have poor English. It’s idiotic at best.

If the ethics of cheating is subjective, then I could say that the cheating Doctor is fine as his moral and ethical code dictates that it’s fine. After all, he knows how to talk the talk, roll a bandage around an arm and to send anything serious that he can’t handle elsewhere. It’s the thin end of the wedge, in other words.

While plagiarism may not be illegal, it can infringe on other’s intellectual copyright, which is something that you can be taken to court over. All that, for $5. Besides, the only people performing this service in general have poor English. It’s idiotic at best.

the only people performing this service in general have poor English. It’s idiotic at best.

What do you mean by people with poor English? We are not talking about writing English here, I am talking about Math, economics, biology assignments … English has nothing to do with it, unless you mean non English speakers are the only people who offer such service, therefore only them are unethical… I hope that is not what you mean… Also you mentioned taking to court, I am not talking about intellectual copyright, I am talking about doing students assignments which most of the time has nothing to do with copyright laws

Medical malpractice is a huge killer in America, at least 200,000 a year die from doctor errors, and this is one of the most regulated professions in the country.

But do I live in fear? Not really. Even a bad doctor will be better than a witchdoctor of shaman, and most medical experiences don’t involve operations and other incidents where death is likely. Also, I believe people have common sense. Your doctor wants you to get a quadruple-bypass, maybe you talk to another doctor just to get a second opinion.

My point is, regulations doesn’t protect us. An occupational license for example doesn’t ensure quality work any better than a driver’s license ensures safe driving. If a licensed contractor does a crappy job, the state will not fix it or get your money back. A license serves only to identify the perpetrator, if it is not fake license.

Reputation and reviews are all we need to hire somebody.

Archived