Fiverr should not cut 20% from tip

maruf_ur

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a quick search of the forum would show this has been discussed.

It would be horrible. People would have buyers buy a $5 gig and then “tip” the rest so that they can get around the fees.

Without fiverr getting their cut, no one has a platform left to work.

then “tip” the rest so that they can get around the fees.

Risky business. A buyer could run off with $200 worth of work for $5. The seller would have no one to complain to! 😱

then “tip” the rest so that they can get around the fees.

Risky business. A buyer could run off with $200 worth of work for $5. The seller would have no one to complain to! 😱

true but I bet there are more good buyers than bad.

"Why is Fiverr charging fees?

Fiverr’s 20% commission applies to all tips. This fee is applied to prevent abuse or fraud on the platform. The same fee applies to the “Tip Gig” many sellers create, so the fees aren’t extra, they’re now a part of the total order.

The processing fee is added in situations where a buyer is required to use other payment methods instead of the shopping balance. Since this will create another transaction, the tip is subject to the Fiverr processing fee. This fee already applies to the “Tip Gig” many sellers create, so the fee isn’t extra.

The tip will clear at the same time of the order. Also, if an order is cancelled, the tip will be cancelled."

You can find it all here:

https://support.fiverr.com/hc/en-us/articles/204903447-How-do-I-leave-the-seller-a-tip-

"Why is Fiverr charging fees?

Fiverr’s 20% commission applies to all tips. This fee is applied to prevent abuse or fraud on the platform. The same fee applies to the “Tip Gig” many sellers create, so the fees aren’t extra, they’re now a part of the total order.

The processing fee is added in situations where a buyer is required to use other payment methods instead of the shopping balance. Since this will create another transaction, the tip is subject to the Fiverr processing fee. This fee already applies to the “Tip Gig” many sellers create, so the fee isn’t extra.

The tip will clear at the same time of the order. Also, if an order is cancelled, the tip will be cancelled."

You can find it all here:

https://support.fiverr.com/hc/en-us/articles/204903447-How-do-I-leave-the-seller-a-tip-

Something like the following would sound much better.

"Fiverr’s 20% commission applies to all tips. This fee is applied because we work hard to provide you with this platform."

Or

"Fiverr’s 20% commission applies to all tips. This fee is applied in order to keep the business rolling."

For some reason they choose to go with:

"Fiverr’s 20% commission applies to all tips. This fee is applied to prevent abuse or fraud on the platform."

In other words there has been a huge amount of fraud and abuse forcing fiverr to take such a drastic measure. Doesn’t really sound appealing to honest sellers and buyers.

• 1 year later...

I understand what you mean. But there’s a reason why Fiverr does that:

There used to be a time when tips didn’t have the 20% service fees. However, a lot of sellers used to take advantage of the system. For example, if a buyer wanted to actually place a $200 order, the seller would, instead, convince them to just place a $5 and pay the remaining $195 in the form of tips. Do you see what’s wrong here?

By doing this, sellers used to evade the 20% service fee. When Fiverr should have, in fact, earned $40 (as service fees) from the $200 order, they’d have only earned a measly $1. That’s a huge loss for Fiverr.

I think they should cut. Because they also have the rights on the tips . They are bringing buyers for us . We are getting orders and earning money for the fiverr .They spend a lot of money to promote the site … So I think they are doing right . And For me amount is nothing . If a buyer gives $5 . I will be happy . Tip is tip . 😀

You may be surprised to know that this topic has been discussed numerous times before. If you use the 🔍 search feature in the upper right-hand:wink: corner, you will find out how many times and what the reaction to this suggestion was.

Thank you I Know!! dont be too Smart!! I am a bit dumb

I understand what you mean. But there’s a reason why Fiverr does that:

There used to be a time when tips didn’t have the 20% service fees. However, a lot of sellers used to take advantage of the system. For example, if a buyer wanted to actually place a $200 order, the seller would, instead, convince them to just place a $5 and pay the remaining $195 in the form of tips. Do you see what’s wrong here?

By doing this, sellers used to evade the 20% service fee. When Fiverr should have, in fact, earned $40 (as service fees) from the $200 order, they’d have only earned a measly $1. That’s a huge loss for Fiverr.

My Friend! 😛 Hope you are doing Great!! Love your Arguments BTW!! You can be a Great Fiverr CS Manager!! these are the Exceptions I think!! Most of the Sellers dont do that I believe!!

I think they should cut. Because they also have the rights on the tips . They are bringing buyers for us . We are getting orders and earning money for the fiverr .They spend a lot of money to promote the site … So I think they are doing right . And For me amount is nothing . If a buyer gives $5 . I will be happy . Tip is tip . 😀

ha ha As You are Comfortable with my friend I respect your View!! It was Just bugging me!! thanks!

ha ha As You are Comfortable with my friend I respect your View!! It was Just bugging me!! thanks!

You are right . I am comfortable with fiverr fees . Because I know how much it difficult to earn trust of peoples and how much difficult to bring buyers in this competitive world…

And You are most welcome . 😀

Yesterday I resurrected an Old Post from the Past and the Argument was that Fiverr Changes every day and so what was working yesterday will not work today so create your Own Posts!! that is what I did and it is a Problem today 😃 I up to yesterday used to do same thing like posting for each little thing! No worries in that and don’t take every reply serious like we blame you on doing this as its really not against forum TOS.

We read it and its not a wrong thing to create own post 🙂 I up to yesterday used to do same thing like posting for each little thing! No worries in that and don’t take every reply serious like we blame you on doing this as its really not against forum TOS.

Thank you!! Have a Great Day!! Best Wishes My Friend!! You are an Amazing Friend!!

• 1 year later...

If fiverr doesn’t cut 20% from the tip some sellers will simply ask the buyer to pay 5$ and issue the rest of the money in the name of a tip.

If that is the concern Fiverr has, couldn’t it be just as easily solved by capping how much a buyer could tip? For example, there could be a rule that will only allow a maximum of a 30% tip, in which the seller would collect 100% of the amount. If a seller charges $5, the most they can get total with tip is $5.50 after the the 20% fee is deducted from the regular pay.

I personally think this is a more ethical way to go about it and is still effective at preventing a seller from gaming the system.

I should also point out that I hired two musicians from Fiverr, and Fiverr tacked on a 20% fee for the amount I tipped them. Finding out that the take 20% of the same tip from the seller as well means they are double-dipping on tips.

Don’t get me wrong, I love this platform. It gives me opportunities that I probably wouldn’t get otherwise. I just think they are getting away with too much on the tips.

Archived