Tips For Sellers Who Are Not Native English Speakers

eoinfinnegan

*Advice 🙂 (advice is the noun, advise is the verb. Unless you’re an adviser!)

In any case, I don’t recommend anyone proofread in a language that isn’t their native one, whether or not they are fluent. Even a word as simple as “newbie” can be screwed up–I’ve seen it spelled creatively everywhere by non-native speakers at various levels of English proficiency! If your second sentence has such a glaring spelling error, then no, you’re not ready to be a proofreader.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! I’m no professional either, but I do offer proofreading services. There are a few mistakes in your message, but mainly just small irregularities and signs you are a not a native speaker. You do have very good English! 🙂 Firstly, newbie, not newby, and curiosity not curousity. Other than that I just would have worded ‘I claim myself’, as ’ I claim to be’, and ‘for the sake of curiosity’ as ‘for curiosity’s sake’. That’s all!

That’s perfectly normal, English isn’t the easiest language to spell and there’s definitely a spike in difficulty (think of how many prepositions we use like on, in out, etc) for many–some languages barely use prepositions while others use slightly different ones. It’s very easy to slip up, never mind the differences between US UK CAN ANZAC, or even style guides (is it NATO or Nato, for example? It can be both…)

Hi, Misscrystal!

Thank you very much for the corrections. I really appreciate it.

I remember, back when I was still working for a company/companies, I always had our editors to proofread and edit my writings (I have never been an editor when it comes to writing. Afterall, it was the rule that writings must be checked by the editors before published). I think it´s always better that way. I only found Fiverr recently and might even use a proofreader service from Fiverr someday (I am writing a book at the moment about dogs). In the meantime, I will keep trying to improve my English skills 🙂

Cheers.

The problem is not with english only, some times, I receive requests from customers who does’t speak english, they know only their mother language as asian languages, sweden, african. I found difficulties to communicate with them despite their request is too interesting !!!

This post strikes a chord with me. I’m looking for a regualr blogger/writer to work so have just commisioned three Fiverr writers to produce articles for me. Two of the writers were Level 2 Sellers, one with over a 100 reviews, the other with over 600 reviews!!! Of the three articles, one was plaguerised from mainly the BBC’s news website (from the Level 2 Seller with over 100 reviews) and the other two were unusable in their current states. Infact, one, written by the seller with over 600 reviews, is so bad, I myself (a blogger and content writer) can hardly make any sense of it or put it into legible, grammatically corrrect English.

All three writers claim to be Native English speakers but I can almost guarantee that they are not!

Archived