Tips For Sellers Who Are Not Native English Speakers

eoinfinnegan

Greetings

I’m new to fiverr, a buyer who is looking to have some graphics done for my small business. I just stumbled across this topic and thought I’d toss my two cents in.
I’m an American who lives in New Jersey, this state is very diverse with many people from all parts of the world, so I am used to dealing with foreigners. I also speak Spanish and Italian, so I know how tough it is to navigate a foreign tongue lol

All that said I may not be the typical Yankee, but wanted to help and clarify a few things that I read from some of the commentators.

1. It’s ok to use “dear” as long as it’s when your addressing a person…such as Dear Mr Smith, or Dear Jim Etc , but to use otherwise might be seen as inappropriate, such as … "Hi dear how are you ? " comes across as flirting lol

2. It’s always ok to use “sir” when addressing a man. I use it all the time. In Texas for example it is very common to address other men, whether younger or older as “sir”

3. We get it if your English is flawed ! When I see that a person is from Pakistan for example, I’m not going to hold it against them if their English is off, but if it is really broken then you will probable lose that sale.

4. If an American writes you a message with a bunch of questions and you reply without answering any of them, but just a sales pitch, that is not good. I just personally sent out messages to about 10 people I was considering working with, and so far only one was able to correctly respond to my questions. Guess who is most likely to get the job !! if you don’t understand the questions asked, then find a translator online or ask a friend before you respond.

5. Price isn’t everything !!! Charge more for your service, Put together a nicely worded paragraph that builds value in your services, make sure you are covering all the bases that people will need and care about, then charge for it !! If everyone is charging $5, put up $50 !! That will attract them to your link !! Also if your pitch is nicely put together to give that nice, warm feeling and high quality , Americans will happily pay a lot more for it.

6. Use niche marketing. For example slim down your customers to Americans., in your link put phrases such as " Worked with hundreds of happy American clients " " My work conforms to the high standards the American client expects " " My English may not be perfect but my designs are !!" Stuff like that will attract the type of people you feel comfortable working with.

Hope this helps

God Bless & Happy New Year 🙂

Jim Marchioni

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What excellent ideas Jim. Everyone please stop calling each other “dear” on a business site. I doubt if a man would call another man “dear”. It’s always directed at women. Not good.

The importance of a well written gig cannot be emphasized too much. If I could choose one thing to stress it would be this.

It’s really an educative insight. I believe everyone has the capability to improve, but only those who are determined can improve their grammer and english mastery. I have seen people who knew nothing at all in English end up becoming gurus in it. Their passion and determination instigated them to shift to the edge.

Indians aren’t the only ones (or the ones at all) with poor English… there are some living in Canada who speak French as a first language, and America who speak Spanish as a first language… so hope those reading this from India or Pakistan are not taking offense. I’ve been speaking English for over 15 years and still spell things wrong. Will power…willpower… googles the correct word. Problem solved

Just a bunch of negative comments with barely any tips for improvements for those who aren’t fluent in English. People use the terms “sir” for respect, not so you can start a thread of why your opinions and feels are correct and all people should cohere. Various sellers/buyers, older and younger, call me “dear”. Don’t like it? Tell them, or understand they are doing it to be kind. Not to bash other people, especially if you’re a top seller and buyers/ other sellers are supposed to look up to you.

I think the fact that many non-native speakers have thanked me for the tips kind of answers your first point. As I have said multiple times in the post and the comments, at no point was this thread intended to (nor do I think it does) bash other people. I spell that out quite clearly. Why are you dismissing the whole post simply because you do not agree with one point I made in the comments?

I know why people use the term “sir” and I clearly explain why I don’t like people using it to me, if others like it then good for them. When people use it to me it does not put me off dealing with them but it will put some people off. That’s why I mention it. I enjoy working with different cultures but not everyone does, it’s a pity but that is the reality. I mention it purely to help those who use it realize that it may not be having the desired effect of showing respect… People do not have to follow what I say but at least some if not all of it is has been helpful to a good number of sellers. If you read the comments, many of them are helpful.

I have not told people that this is what they “must do”, these are tips which they can use or not. I wrote this post after numerous discussions with people who were having difficulty in working with native English speakers. I can guarantee that sellers who follow these tips will have greater success in dealing with native English speakers but it is by no means definitive, as I point out at the end of the post.

You don’t have to agree with everything people here say - this is the internet after all. If you do have any tips that would be helpful, why not post them? If you think any of the tips in the post are wrong, offer alternatives instead of dismissing them - otherwise you just become a negative commenter, much like those you are complaining about.

Guest essyjoseph

i agree with you @eoinfinnegan. i saw a VERY helpful post that you had made (i think last week part 1 here on forum. on my side, its helpful. Am clarifying that the forum is helpful to majority of sellers here

Hi everyone! I´m a newby here. I don´t have a gig as a proofreader, although I claim myself as a fluent English speaker. Many people have told me that my English is very good. I am not a native speaker of English, but sometimes I am tempted to be a proofreader. But just for the sake of curiousity, are there any errors in my comment (could you tell me which ones)? Yes, this comment. Anyone? And any tips of how to be a proofreader and actually to get clients? I believe that all professional proofreaders have become as good as they are now through different proccesses. It would be nice to hear it directly from real proofreaders here. Thanks in advance 🙂

Hello,
Since you asked I will tell you.
It is apparent that you are not a native English speaker.
The phrase you used “I claim myself as…” is strange sounding and incorrect.
It would be better to simply say “I am fluent in English.”

The use of parenthesis as you have them is incorrect. There should be a question mark after the word “comment”. The next phrase should be written as a sentence.

“Yes, this comment.” This is not a sentence.

“Anyone?” This is not a sentence. Always write in complete sentences.

The phrase after that is not a sentence either.

And finally, you need to put a period after “Thanks in advance”.

I hope this helps.

You do write better than 99% of the non native English speakers here but it is not up to proofreader standards due to all the grammatical errors.

This should read as follows:
P.S. Advise from native English speakers is also welcome, regardless of whether or not you are a proofreader.

Better yet this could be written correctly as this:
Any advise from those who are native speakers of English is welcome, regardless of whether or not you are a proofreader.

Archived