Tips For Sellers Who Are Not Native English Speakers

eoinfinnegan

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, English is the international language of business, tourism, and even aviation.

With writers that don’t speak English well, you just gotta write short sentences and avoid slang as much as possible. Some are frustrating, here’s a stupid question I got:

"What do you mean “place your order?”

So I sent him a custom offer.

Why do you think so ? English is not so difficult to learn…(provided you have the interest and will power to learn… i can give many examples of people living here in india in remotest villages where there is hardly any light …have learnt english and they have become literature experts… some of them are even teaching English language in top notch institutions here in india…) Thank god its easier than Maths (Algebra & other Equations) and physics too… 🙂

I think the point being made is regarding proofreading. There is a big difference between being good at communicating in English and having the ability to properly proofread English.
For example, from a quick glance I can see 8 different errors that I would correct if I was proofreading your comment. (Your English is very good but still contains small errors which are not important generally but are when it comes to proofreading. I know this comment was not written to be perfect but I am just giving you an example) 🙂

It’s been a while, but I had 2 buyers who liked my work, they never complained about the pricing which was great, and I shouldn’t complain…but the problem was their English. Overall I was able to tell what they wanted, but for most gigs they had a very specific idea and they just could not get their point across. I had to send tons of messages just to be sure what they wanted. At one point I started begging them to ask a friend (or hire someone) to edit/translate their descriptions when ordering a gig. They agreed to do so, but it never happened. It got to a point where I told them not to place an order until they can find someone to help. They kept ordering. Several more messages later, they stopped ordering.
I felt a bid bad, and I am aware that I have lost 2 buyers who were nice people and were not
stingy with the payment, but looking at the message box with over 90 messages, I am
glad it stopped. Hopefully those two have found another person who is more patient
and understanding than I am.
Having that said though, it would be nice if the buyers/sellers out there can find
help with their English if they can…

I had dear, sir, bro…people assume that I am a guy because of my Fiverr name, so far I haven’t had ma’am.
“Dear” really bugs me, “Hello friend!” bothers me too depending on my mood. I get all bitchy and say I’m not your friend!! to the PC screen. I had people call me “Zeus-san” because I’m from Japan, that doesn’t bug me even though it does sound a bit strange 😛

Yes sir… i completely agree with you … 🙂 I was not arguing with Emmaki… i was just telling her about some great stories i have heard of Indians learning English and iam sorry i got that piece completely wrong about proofreading… Apologies to everyone here 🙂

If they ignore your request to get help with English, even worse when they agreed and then ignored it, and then kept ordering while you told them to stop, they aren’t nice people after all.
Unless you have charged them a fortune, probably They have been with you that long because they think your price is a great deal. Or probably you’re the only one who agreed to work with them.

I agreed. I’m a non-English speaker and my English skill isn’t that good, so I always tell the customer that “I’m gonna ask many things to avoid misunderstanding” and “I will try my best to communicate”. Sometimes, when I failed to understand what they want, I draw it and the problem is solved. Being honest is really a must here 😃

Altho, sometimes I find it difficult when the customer can’t speak English… hahaha.

Archived