New scam attempt (sophisticated)

visualstudios

On 2/11/2024 at 3:39 AM, donnovan86 said:

Sure, Fiverr staff will delete that account, but they will just create another one.. It's imperative for users to know how to avoid this, so hopefully there will be a webinar soon on how to avoid scams.

Very much true. I think what fiverr has done to verify our identity to add “Profession” should be a compulsory thing to create and enter into fiverr marketplace. Only through that, such scammers can be avoided. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nikitakakade24 said:

I think what fiverr has done to verify our identity to add “Profession” should be a compulsory thing to create and enter into fiverr marketplace.

I am pretty sure you have to verify your identity when you add the payment method to withdraw money.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

I am pretty sure you have to verify your identity when you add the payment method to withdraw money.

I didn't go through that verification when setting up payment method - just the phone number one probably (though maybe they've changed it now).

But that (adding more verification for sellers) won't solve this scam thing because it's the people joining who aren't sellers who are mostly doing this scamming.  Probably 99% of the QR code type scams are done by people who aren't sellers (so probably don't get any type of verification).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, fiaz_beric said:

How many of these guys need to be reported?

Hi @fiaz_beric 

All of them. It is important to report them so that we can take the appropriate steps. I know you are busy working, so please feel free to send me a message with their usernames and/or their emails and I can report them. But it is really important to report them all and I cannot emphasize that enough. 

Thank you for your understanding. 

• Like 2
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, uk1000 said:

I didn't go through that verification when setting up payment method - just the phone number one probably (though maybe they've changed it now).

That was a while ago. It would make sense for new accounts to be verified when they try to withdraw money. If they are not... that's certainly a mishap.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, amgprophoto said:

Hi guys! Want to know if this is a scam. Please refer the following images.

Its an older scam where scammers seek your email ID to hack your fiverr account. 

And anyway - a seller cannot share email id with anyone on Fiverr for any reason. This might get your account flagged and even banned, 

Just say NO and tell its a violation of Fiverr TOS.

• Like 2

Received 5 scam attempts from same user in 2 hours

So I just published my new gig today. But then this scammer keeps messaging me to scan qr code like I’m a fool. They keep changing the username but the display names are the same. Is this what this platform has become? This is just very low and cheap way to scam and shouldn’t be on any platform. Fiverr please do something, this is just making me uncomfortable.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dafapati said:

So I just published my new gig today. But then this scammer keeps messaging me to scan qr code like I’m a fool. They keep changing the username but the display names are the same. Is this what this platform has become? This is just very low and cheap way to scam and shouldn’t be on any platform. Fiverr please do something, this is just making me uncomfortable.

😂😂 I got like 20+ messages of same scam guy asking me to scan the code. I keep on Reporting it as spam and it keeps showing up with a new different id.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ahmad_freelancr said:

😂😂 I got like 20+ messages of same scam guy asking me to scan the code. I keep on Reporting it as spam and it keeps showing up with a new different id.

Yeah it is very concerning. I got additional 5 since i posted this. It’s shameless

• Like 2

They use some sort of BOT that i guess it is creating accounts and sending auto messages to sellers. Hope this gets fixed soon, it is getting out of control and from what i see here, new sellers fall for it and their bank details got stolen.

• Like 2

I lost all my money while being verified on Stripe. What should I do?

I'm a newbie freelancer. While I was processing my first order, I had to verify my bank details on Stripe. I got charged almost all my money on it, and they said that in order to refund it, I had to increase the balance by 200 EUR. But the money they took was all I have. What should I do? See photos for reference.

451432459_1395138694812103_1886950915511018784_n (1) (1).png

451432459_1395138694812103_1886950915511018784_n (1).png

451232115_7925795887499669_1114320232065869999_n (1).png

451432459_1395138694812103_1886950915511018784_n.png

Edited by noelaprecio
  • Like 2

Yes it is a scam. There's no live chat on Fiverr. And Fiverr will never ask you for money directly. 

Initiate a chargeback from your bank and try to maybe change your credit card, do something so those scammers don't have access to your credit card info. 

• Like 2
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, donnovan86 said:

Yes it is a scam. There's no live chat on Fiverr. And Fiverr will never ask you for money directly. 

Initiate a chargeback from your bank and try to maybe change your credit card, do something so those scammers don't have access to your credit card info. 

Oh no. I thought it was legit. The thing is I've had multiple messages on fiverr saying I need to verify my bank account. I did that and clicked the links and all and this is what happened. The chat box I posted was on Stripe. I have no idea it was not legitimate. It looked something like this.

[Mod note: Image edited to hide user's card number.]

image.png.6e5c6c4c5f773f424200835f283dfef5.png

image.png.016e1d3266d48470c3e87c23650a26cb.png

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, noelaprecio said:

The chat box I posted was on Stripe

Fiverr doesn't offer support for Stripe, so that alone is a warning sign.

Make sure that you try to go to the bank and ask for a chargeback because you were scammed. Again, Fiverr doesn't ask you for money. If you have a message asking for that, it's a scam. They would never do that. 

• Like 2
  • Up 1

3 hours ago, noelaprecio said:

I lost all my money while being verified on Stripe. What should I do?

I'm a newbie freelancer. While I was processing my first order, I had to verify my bank details on Stripe. I got charged almost all my money on it, and they said that in order to refund it, I had to increase the balance by 200 EUR. But the money they took was all I have. What should I do? See photos for reference.

It happened to me just now. I thought it was legit and proceed credit card for 288.60 euro. Now i am chasing my credit card company for the refund and reported as scam. Omg... 

• Like 2

I’m a new seller, is this possible first sell or scam

I received a message…. Second one of the day. The first one I immediately could tell it was a scam, someone posing as a Fiverr admin but their message was something that was super obvious that they weren’t. 
However this is different. How does the first sale work? Will there be “invoice” type messages? I’ve included a screenshot of what I’m seeing. 
Can someone help me determine if this is a legit buyer or if it’s a scammer?
thank you in advance 🫶🏻

IMG_1510.png.bc51f4fc6a4c1574db6157e799bd51c9.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Up 1

Hi All, Kindly let me know have you received any message from "Verification" with Fiverr symbol in Fiverr message box ?

Once, I came out from the message window, now it is disappeared. Fortunately, I captured the screen shot and that screen shot is attached with this message.WhatsAppImage2024-07-23at09_51_25.jpeg.97d29446c5f6ed534a701a0a79e4dd17.jpeg

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, webotivecloud said:

Hi All, Kindly let me know have you received any message from "Verification" with Fiverr symbol in Fiverr message box ?

Once, I came out from the message window, now it is disappeared. Fortunately, I captured the screen shot and that screen shot is attached with this message.WhatsAppImage2024-07-23at09_51_25.jpeg.97d29446c5f6ed534a701a0a79e4dd17.jpeg

It's a fake account(scammer)

be careful

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, webotivecloud said:

Yes! same message i also received today 

• Like 2

Hello @webotivecloud & @vishalsahu98 

Yes, it appears to be a scam. We are aware of the issue and are actively working to resolve it. Please report this user to our Customer Support immediately. Send an email to support@fiverr.com with all the screenshots you have.

We strongly recommend not opening suspicious links, QR codes, or files from senders you have not contacted directly. Please be aware that Fiverr will never contact you via inbox to request payments, passwords, or private information.

Thank you. 

• Like 2