What are you phobias?

rabihumakhan

Hey y'all! 

I understand that we all have been so much busy in 'improving' our gigs in fiber and increasing our 'impressions' to eat! 

Lemme bring in a fresh, unique topic. 

We all have some kind of phobias that are so unrealistic yet we fail to overcome them throughout our lives. 

I will start with myself, my niece (brother's daughter) has some sort of developmental issues and we have been taking her to a clinic psychologist from the last one month. She is improving at such a rapid speed that I started to think that I should also get some kind of therapy for my issue; which is acrophobia!

I have been scared of heights throughout of my life but it unfortunately now is stopping me from doing my routine work. I can't even stand on the bed, a chair, etc. I can't jump, ride a horse (if available), stand on a rock etc etc. 

What are your phobias and how do we overcome our phobias?

• Like 23
  • Sad 2
  • Up 2

Fortunately I don't have any phobia, but if there's anything close to it, I'm terrified of earthquakes. I was in Tokyo when 3-11 happened, and before that I was somewhat "used" to earthquakes but now the smallest ones scared me to the bone. Having that said, I don't think it's at a phobia level, I'm thinking it's a normal(?) thing to get scared of. 

Sounds like your phobia is a very serious one, I've seen people on TV getting therapy and then having their phobias cured eventually, so I hope you can get help too! Not being able to stand on a bed sounds bad, so I'm guessing you can't stand on a stool or ladder when changing the light bulbs?

• Like 17
  • Up 3

On 8/30/2023 at 7:54 AM, rabihumakhan said:

What are your phobias and how do we overcome our phobias?

I try not to verbalize or think about my phobias (because things always get worse if I talk about or think about them):

image.gif.b3ffdbab9d7b3885d2665698ae5db29f.gif

When I was 12 years old, I told a little boy I was babysitting that I didn't like the Chucky doll (not knowing that he actually had one). So he pulled the Chucky doll out of a full toybox and terrorized me all night until the parents came home. Those two were inseparable that night. I can still feel the tiny hand of Chucky tapping me on the shoulder when I was making sandwiches for us to eat. They chased me around the house because I didn't want Chucky to touch me again.

P.S. I don't like any dolls at all anymore.

image.gif.27433bf927bf049c9f985256874f4a9c.gif

I also made the mistake of telling my daughter (when she was 4 years old) that I didn't like clowns. Since that time, Pennywise has been her favorite...

...Okay. I deleted that GIF! (Why am I searching for the very things I fear?!) 😅

Back to this one:

image.gif.b3ffdbab9d7b3885d2665698ae5db29f.gif

• Like 18
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, zeus777 said:

Sounds like your phobia is a very serious one, I've seen people on TV getting therapy and then having their phobias cured eventually, so I hope you can get help too! Not being able to stand on a bed sounds bad, so I'm guessing you can't stand on a stool or ladder when changing the light bulbs

Unfortunately yes. It's a very serious one and now stopping me from doing my daily work. I have been thinking to meet a psychologist. I'm going to meet one soon, probably this week when we take my niece to the center. 

• Like 15

3 hours ago, vickieito said:

When I was 12 years old, I told a little boy I was babysitting that I didn't like the Chucky doll (not knowing that he actually had one). So he pulled the Chucky doll out of a full toybox and terrorized me all night until the parents came home. Those two were inseparable that night. I can still feel the tiny hand of Chucky tapping me on the shoulder when I was making sandwiches for us to eat. They chased me around the house because I didn't want Chucky to touch me again.

Fortunately, I have never been scared of ghosts and all such. 

I couldn't, so far, drag my a*** to believe such things that don't  make sense exist. 

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't plan on starting a family, and one thing that worries me is the thought of growing old, becoming ill, and dealing with it all by myself.

When I was younger, I had a plan of going to Switzerland to opt for euthanasia at 65, since it's legal there, but I don't think that way anymore.

I also thought about having a child through surrogacy in Ukraine or Russia (not anymore), but those plans aren't possible now.

I wonder, would my fear of "ageing, falling sick and being alone in old age" mentality be considered a phobia?

Edited by strategist_ceo
  • Like 12
  • Sad 1

@strategist_ceo It's not a totally irrational fear. But having a family is not a guarantee you won't end up all alone later in life. Remember that there are things such as friend groups, "alternative" families, material and societal security nets of various kinds, etc. Could it actually be the fear of being alone/abandoned?

Interesting discussion, @rabihumakhan

• Like 11

4 hours ago, optinmagnets said:

Remember that there are things such as friend groups, "alternative" families, material and societal security nets of various kinds, etc. Could it actually be the fear of being alone/abandoned?

Times are shifting and my feelings are changing too. I'm not sure how a future, older version of me would handle being alone and ill at the same time.

I'm comfortable being alone but not sure about feeling abandoned. There's a certain freedom that comes with solitude that I enjoy. For instance, it gives me the freedom to do things like travel and set up new business offices. However, contemplating these very freedoms in the context of ill health and extreme solitude in old age leaves me uncertain.

• Like 10
  • Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I share some of my phobias:

-Heights make me panic, even if they are 1 meter high.
-Blood, I can't get tested without sweating or feeling afraid, when I have a cut on my skin it makes me anxious.
-Latex gloves, I feel like my hands are suffocating (during the time of Covid 2020 it was a nightmare to use them).
-Small spaces cause me anxiety attacks.
-The waves, I don't enter the sea if the water is not calm (like a swimming pool).
-Very high stairs, I think it is due to the same issue of heights...

Thanks for asking this question, It distracted me for a while reading all of you.

• Like 5

On 10/14/2023 at 6:10 AM, strategist_ceo said:

I don't plan on starting a family, and one thing that worries me is the thought of growing old, becoming ill, and dealing with it all by myself.

When I was younger, I had a plan of going to Switzerland to opt for euthanasia at 65, since it's legal there, but I don't think that way anymore.

I also thought about having a child through surrogacy in Ukraine or Russia (not anymore), but those plans aren't possible now.

I wonder, would my fear of "ageing, falling sick and being alone in old age" mentality be considered a phobia?

I think I can relate with your thoughts, when we are alone we sometimes think about that scene in the next 30 years, everything happens so fast in life, I know a lot of people say that we'll die alone, that's a fact, but our last memories how would they be? that's a lot to think about, and it certainly counts as a phobia, of the unknown future.

• Like 7