What will happen if you deliver an order that is over 60 days late!

zaidharoon_

Question

Hi All,

Hope you are enjoying your experience on Fiverr. 

So a case has occurred with me, where I have an order that is over 60 days late, and I can not extend it as you can not send an extension request for more than 60 days. 

What will happen if I deliver the order now? Will it affect my delivery time? If yes by how much and if I get the seller to agree for an extension who do I go about that?

Any one who is familiar with the case can you assist me.

Best 

Zaid

• Like 11

17 answers to this question

51 minutes ago, zaidharoon_ said:

Hi All,

Hope you are enjoying your experience on Fiverr. 

So a case has occurred with me, where I have an order that is over 60 days late, and I can not extend it as you can not send an extension request for more than 60 days. 

What will happen if I deliver the order now? Will it affect my delivery time? If yes by how much and if I get the seller to agree for an extension who do I go about that?

Any one who is familiar with the case can you assist me.

Best 

Zaid

It will affect your on-time delivery stat. As far as I know, it won't make any difference if the order is late or very late. Late is late. However, I don't know if any internal metrics measure how late the order is and if that might affect your visibility on Fiverr beyond what negative impact the lower on-time deliver stat has. 

I haven't tried this myself (since I don't make a habit of letting orders go late), but maybe it's possible to ask the buyer for two extensions. If the buyer agrees, you could request multiple extensions until the order is back on time. As I said, I haven't tried this before, and you would need to get your buyer onboard with it first. 

You ask for extensions in the resolution center. I recommend talking with your buyer first to figure out how to solve this. Depending on why your order is so late, they might be willing to help you if they are at fault. But if it's your fault, I wouldn't bother them with it. Deliver, take the hit, and move on. 

Remember that the on-time completion rate is based on the percentage of orders you delivered on time in the last 60 days. So if you get very few orders, it might dip below 90%, causing a level demotion. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, zaidharoon_ said:

Will it affect my delivery time?

16 minutes ago, smashradio said:

It will affect your on-time delivery stat. As far as I know, it won't make any difference if the order is late or very late. Late is late.

⬆️ Yes, it will affect your on-time delivery and once it's late, it is late. You aren't able to extend any more because extensions need to be requested before the order goes into late status.

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, smashradio said:

However, I don't know if any internal metrics measure how late the order is and if that might affect your visibility on Fiverr beyond what negative impact the lower on-time deliver stat has. 

I don't think it does, but it might make a difference between late and very late. 

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

I don't think it does, but it might make a difference between late and very late. 

I agree. 

12 minutes ago, vickieito said:

⬆️ Yes, it will affect your on-time delivery and once it's late, it is late. You aren't able to extend any more because extensions need to be requested before the order goes into late status.

Hmm. I specifically remember having to extend an order that went late not too long ago due to a disappearing buyer. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I think you can request an extension even after the order has been marked as late. 

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, smashradio said:

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I think you can request an extension even after the order has been marked as late. 

I can tell you 100% you can. However, that sets a new deadline and if you're not delivering on time according to the new deadline, then you will have another late delivery penalty aside from the previous one. 

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

I can tell you 100% you can. However, that sets a new deadline and if you're not delivering on time according to the new deadline, then you will have another late delivery penalty aside from the previous one. 

Thanks for confirming. Yes, of course. So that means you could be able to extend the order, and then extend it again, basically pulling a very late order back to a ticking clock, which was my idea to begin with – if the buyer was willing to do it. 

I'm not sure why @vickieito thinks we can't extend an order that is already late, but I'm pretty sure we can, more so now that my esteemed colleague @donnovan86 has confirmed that I'm not insane and have started hallucinating. . 🤣

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 12

4 minutes ago, sujanaprodesign said:

Talk with the client, If he or she has no problem then talk with support they will find the best-fitted solution.

This can be sorted in the resolution center without involving support with an unnecessary request. Support will just tell you to go use the resolution center anyway. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, smashradio said:

This can be sorted in the resolution center without involving support with an unnecessary request. Support will just tell you to go use the resolution center anyway. 

You can probably extend the delivery, but I'm pretty sure if you go past the deadline and are "late" you still take the ding to your delivery metrics and visibility. So it may still sink you even though you get extra time. I don't know because I don't deliver orders late. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, newsmike said:

You can probably extend the delivery, but I'm pretty sure you still take the ding to your delivery metrics and visibility. So it may still sink you even though you get extra time. 

That's what I meant by possible hidden metrics that we don't see. I'm not sure if that's a thing for on-time, but it might be. I make it a point to not deliver 60 days late, but when it happened to me because of a disappearing buyer, I delivered (80 days (!) late) and I survived it just fine. Took a small hit to my on-time stat, but orders kept rolling in. 

P.S. Yes I communicated with the buyer, who was ill at the time, and yes, I talked to support about it when the buyer stopped responding. I decided to take the hit instead of cancelling because I had worked for a long time on the project and the buyer was nice but very unfortunate. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, smashradio said:

I specifically remember having to extend an order that went late not too long ago due to a disappearing buyer.

3 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

I can tell you 100% you can.

That's new to me! When did this change? Fiverr CS and @donnovan86 specifically told me that this wasn't possible (but that was a year ago when I had a disappearing buyer):

https://community.fiverr.com/forums/topic/282216-24-hrs-until-delivery-and-no-contact-from-the-buyer-also-unable-to-deliver/?do=findComment&comment=1781107

@donnovan86 said:

I am not sure what the other people said, but I can tell you 100% if the order is late, Fiverr will mark it as late and penalize you.

Fiverr CS said the same and recommended that I cancel any order with a disappearing buyer before it goes into late status (because stats can be adjusted for cancelations but not for orders marked late). An order like the OP's (that is over 60 days late) is already marked late. So the late penalty will apply and it can't be reversed. At least that's what I thought.

I've actually never had a late order in my life. So I've never been able to confirm any of this. Based on what you are both saying ... is it really possible to extend the delivery date on a late order that has already been marked as late? (so late orders can be changed/reversed after all?) I'm really curious to see how both of you have handled these late orders!

• Like 10

I've had a decent chunk of orders enter Late status and have been able to extend them. It's at the point where it's almost a standard part of my process, where I'll be the ones who gives the suggestion of an extension as a way to prompt a response from the seller/get an update. But, I don't think I've done this for something more than a few days late. The only cases where things went more than a week or two late I ended up cancelling due to non-response. 60 days late is quite the depth to plumb. I kind of expect there would have been some sort of stuff that would happen at 14 days late. Is that when Very Late kicks in?

• Like 11

47 minutes ago, moikchap said:

I've had a decent chunk of orders enter Late status and have been able to extend them.

49 minutes ago, moikchap said:

It's at the point where it's almost a standard part of my process,

Allowing orders to go into late mode should never be part of standard processes! 😲

That makes me really sad. 🥺

I find it really shocking that any seller will allow an order to go late ... and without talking to their buyer. I can understand if the buyer is nonresponsive, but the seller? They should be in constant communication at that point!

52 minutes ago, moikchap said:

The only cases where things went more than a week or two late I ended up cancelling due to non-response.

At what point do orders auto-cancel with the message below?

image.png.b877dcec164c5ddaf37111abe71f4201.png

• Like 9

2 hours ago, vickieito said:

is it really possible to extend the delivery date on a late order that has already been marked as late? (so late orders can be changed/reversed after all?)

An order that is already marked as late can be extended but it does not "undo" the ding on the on the on time delivery metrics. [*I'm not sure if on the dashboard it doesn't show late anymore because I haven't tried being late - but I think it will not show late anymore but the on time delivery metrics will still be affected*]. The only way to avoid the ding is that the order was extended before the (original) delivery time was reached. I assume that such extension even after it was marked as late is available because the buyer can choose to automatically cancel an order without the need of a response from a seller (the usual method of mutual cancellation) if the order has passed 24 hours from delivery time.

Reference:

https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360010108157-What-does-my-order-status-mean?segment=buyer

Late

When an order is marked as Late, the seller missed the expected delivery time.

Note: Once an order is marked as "late" the status cannot be changed in the seller's on-time delivery statistics. Requesting a delivery extension will not remove the late status. 

Very Late

When an order status is marked as Very Late, this means that 24 hours have passed since the order was marked as "Late".

Similar to what we've explained above, the buyer is now able to cancel the order within the Order page using the Resolution Center—however, it is not a mutual cancellation request. Very Late orders that are cancelled will be immediately cancelled.

Edited by theratypist
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I've actually never had a late order in my life

I had, and you can extend an order if it's late. The thing is, if you extend you will have a new deadline. In case you are late according to the new deadline, you will receive another late delivery penalty. So it is possible to have multiple late delivery penalties on a new order. Which means you are much better off not extending if the order is very late and if you suppose it will take more time. That's true if the buyer is unresponsive. I rarely had issues like that over the years, I managed to improve things and prevent late orders. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

From my experience with a "very late" order that the seller never delivered nor reacted, the "very late" status starts from just marginally later than the "late" status, more like 2 or 3 days after going "late", not 14 days, and there is no automatic cancellation, only the automatic 1 star feedback. At least to me, it sounded like the order would simply have continued to exist, had I not finally cancelled it to get refunded (I probably had ordered from an abandoned account, seller never delivered nor reacted to messages). And the cancellation triggered the automatic 1* feedback, not the late delivery. Notable is that I couldn't have done anything against that 1* as a customer, even if I had wanted. 1* feedback and text are left by Fiverr system itself, hence you sometimes see 1* feedbacks with the exact same text "by" different buyers.

Fiverr sent an automated message and told me that my order is "very late", and of the one-way cancellation option, once  got into "very late" status, but also recommended contacting the seller to ask about it, by the way.

To keep in mind is that after the "very late" status, cancellation is a one-way street for the buyer, I didn't need the seller accept the cancellation - which makes sense, since the seller had been completely unresponsive, probably abandoned their account. Which I guess is the main reasoning behind the one-way cancellation option, comparable to the 3-day auto-completion for cases when the buyer is unresponsive. So, as long as you don't deliver a "very late" order, the buyer can cancel at any time, and you'll get the automated 1* feedback.

Just as an aside, regarding "very late" status and 1* feedback in addition to above comments, my above experience was with an order that the seller never delivered. As you can't extend anymore, you can't get around the "delivered on time" stat getting affected (fairly so, if the long delay is on you), but once you delivered, the buyer shouldn't have the one-way cancellation any longer, I guess, but can't guarantee, as I never had someone deliver nor delivered a "very late" order), and it also shouldn't hurt your order completion stat, as the order was delivered, albeit very late.

Whether you actually should simply deliver or ask the buyer if they even can do something with the delivery at this point and want to cancel, is another question, and depends on your specific case, namely, are/were you and the buyer communicating, what the order and agreements were, and what caused the long delay (didn't the buyer provide requirements for ages, or was it bad planning on your part, or an emergency,...), and is between you and your customer service conscience to decide 

Edited by miiila
forum before morning ☕ is a bad decision
  • Like 11

They should be in constant communication at that point!

If there's one thing the youtube gurus should be teaching instead of Online 24/7 it should be communication. I order a lot from sellers with no reviews, so I might be their first, and they probably don't know best processes. It would be nice if Fiverr provided some guidance in that regard. I don't think I've had an order go bad when a seller gave me a preview to calibrate off of and/or showed me progress so I knew the proper thing was arriving eventually.

(I was recently prompted by the Success Manager department for feedback on the order process, pretty much all I really got into was that and the awkward handling of Commercial Rights which most new sellers also don't seem to understand.)

• Like 10