Live Blogging: Fiverr AI webinar

newsmike

4 minutes ago, maitasun said:

We see scammers all day long on the forum, one after the other. Do you really think these people will state anywhere: 'Hey, I no longer spin or plagarise internet content.

Exactly. We ask again and again "how will you deal with the fraud?" Yet that is always sidestepped or otherwise answered with a non effective, "Well, we'll ask the scammers to please be honest." As entertaining as that sentiment is, it may at first appear naïve, however, I think they are smart enough to know that it is an effective response, even though it is an obvious "non answer, answer."

It would have been great if 10 seconds of this webinar would have dealt with how actual content producers would be protected, but instead it was a combination pep rally and instruction manual as to how to use AI to cut corners, fake qualifications and otherwise lower the quality of product offered and delivered on Fiverr. It clearly demonstrates that Fiverr has very different priorities from those of us who wish for a community of verified, honest, talented humans performing quality work, instead of enabling, training and cheering on the creation of dishonest and inferior content created in illiterate sweat shops.

Otherwise, they could have answered my question, "How will you prevent the fraud." But then as now, all I hear is silence.

• Like 8
  • Up 3

3 hours ago, melanielm said:

I think it's rather naïve to think that people will put "Made with AI" in their gig descriptions, every AI-generated message, and the projects they deliver. What system does Fiverr have in place to ensure that happens? AI comments are already inundating the forum. Plagiarism (copying of gig descriptions and profiles) is a constant when it comes to sellers' gigs. How is Fiverr planning to avoid becoming "That place where everything is AI generated?"

Screenshot2023-02-23at9_02_27AM.png.4d8ff4f9eeb1902603896b2943e7aff1.png  

And how is Fiverr planning to enforce this? ⬇️ I do not see how it is possible.

5 hours ago, editors_picks said:

You can use ChatGPT or another AI Generative Tool to write gig descriptions - but you must add a clear note that this description was written with the help of an AI Generative Tool.

Nonetheless, even if Fiverr said it was against TOS, it would be unenforceable. Though AI has good things, it will cause many issues. 

Edited by vickiespencer
  • Like 12
  • Up 1

26 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

And how is Fiverr planning to enforce this?

The same way they enforce the obvious fraud of literally thousands of sellers that we discuss here daily who are unable to speak 3rd grade English who claim to be "Fluent" in English. Or all the "digital marketing experts" begging on the forum that they cannot generate a lead while asking for help.

They won't. 

The only difference is they have simply ignored the literacy fraud, but now they are actively promoting and instructing how to be more efficient and less detectable leveraging AI. Of course, saying at the end of the "how to" session, but please don't do this.  Wink Wink. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, melanielm said:

We can't expect Fiverr to outlaw its use or somehow fight its advance... unfortunately.

True. And there's nothing that Fiverr can do to force buyers to hire writers instead of using ChatGPT.

As for sellers who cheat, they just have another way to cheat, and hopefully Fiverr will keep cleaning house and removing cheaters.

Hopefully.

• Like 10
  • Up 1

37 minutes ago, newsmike said:

It would have been great if 10 seconds of this webinar would have dealt with how actual content producers would be protected

I think there were 10 or so seconds, when someone asked how to convince buyers to hire writers instead of using ChatGPT, and got advice to mention the advantages of hiring real human writers in their gig description.

• Like 10

Just now, catwriter said:

I think there were 10 or so seconds, when someone asked how to convince buyers to hire writers instead of using ChatGPT, and got advice to mention the advantages of hiring real human writers in their gig description.

That does not feel like protection from fraudsters, just a talking point and another "non answer, answer" to me. 

• Like 12

@editors_picks - Here are several other threads on this topic:

@markp's wise approach to chaptGPT saved one woman's business (I wish I was on this Zoom call)!

https://community.fiverr.com/forums/topic/298991-how-i-saved-a-writer-from-chatgpt-and-got-their-business-back/

And this is why I started allowing Zoom in my previously no-Zoom business model:

https://community.fiverr.com/forums/topic/299014-latest-scam-advisory/

I think Fiverr's taking steps to address the issue of widespread misuse of AI-generated content through the updated Community Standards. I'm curious to see how this will be enforced because most sellers who are cheating the system by using AI, will not be stating that they are doing so on their gigs.

Unfortunately, both of the webinars have not been helpful in this regard. Immediately following the first AI webinar, we started to get more AI-generated posts on the forum and posts from sellers encouraging other sellers to use AI in unapproved ways. I also noticed that more of my buyers are complaining about sellers using chatGPT to entirely write their content, which is why they want to make sure that I would be writing all of my content manually.

This last webinar was extremely informative (and it was amazing what AI technology can do)! However, based on the seller's responses, I'm afraid that we will continue to see an increase in the misuse of AI among sellers.

Because of that, I'm willing to incorporate Zoom calls into my business model (to show I'm legit) even though it means I have to now disclose my hearing impairment to my buyers, and this hearing impairment may cause me to appear less competent for buyers who have hard-to-decipher accents (and who may not read my disclosures about my poor hearing). I considered using paid consultations but may do free consultations to avoid any issues my hearing may cause. This is silly to me because up until now, I have had no problems doing business with buyers with thick accents since I haven't been using Zoom.

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 15
  • Up 1

Figured I'd share my poor attempt at notetaking. I only came up with one major takeaway. 

Speaker: Asaf Azar, introduction
1. What is AI
2. how AI works, basics
3. New tools means new jobs to work those tools
 (Prompt engineer, art correction, fact checking)

Speaker: David Tabachnikov, showing interaction (demo) with various AI
4. ChatGPT
 (Okay, telling the AI to pretend it is a cat was amusing.)
5. copy.ai 
6. MidJourney and bluewillow
 (bluewillow is integrated into Discord? that's kinda nifty)
9. interiorAI
10. Playground
11. runway (video)
12. gling
13. elevenlabs
14. tome (presentations)
15. img

Speaker: Asaf Azar on Developer Prompts
17. AI as a Fiverr Gig

Speaker: Fiverr Webinars (Yoav) reading Qs
Asaf Azar answering Q1 "Fiverr rules"
David Tabachnikov answering Q2 "AI Voices"

• Like 8
  • Up 3

1 minute ago, catwriter said:

True. And there's nothing that Fiverr can do to force buyers to hire writers instead of using ChatGPT.

As for sellers who cheat, they just have another way to cheat, and hopefully Fiverr will keep cleaning house and removing cheaters.

Hopefully.

In the same way that Fiverr has cleaned and removed cheaters who offer translation services and use Google Translate, or any other machine-translation software, passing it off as being manual translations? In that same way?

I'm sick and tired of seeing how buyers are being scammed by these "translators" and, yet, there you see them—they even have the Fiverr's Choice badge on their gigs...

• Like 9
  • Sad 5
  • Up 2

11 minutes ago, vickieito said:

I also noticed that more of my buyers are complaining about sellers using chatGPT to entirely write their content, which is why they want to make sure that I would be writing all of my content manually.

That reminds me, I need to edit my letter of complaint writing gig to say I DO NOT use AI! 

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, maitasun said:

In the same way that Fiverr has cleaned and removed cheaters who offer translation services and use Google Translate, or any other machine-translation software, passing it off as being manual translations? In that same way?

I was referring to what was happening since the beginning of this year, with thousands of accounts being restricted.

Of course, since we don't know if they were (or will be) allowed back, it could have been just a gesture.

• Like 10

My friend @leannelrivers just posted this link in another thread, but it sure adds to the entire vibe that AI is yes, cheap, cheap, cheap, and based on wholesale plagiarism. It is a literal race to the bottom, and while plagiarism from one source is easily detected, mass plagiarism seems to be ok, as long as it is a $6 haircut.

https://www.voquent.com/blog/whose-voice-is-it-anyway/

• Like 8
  • Up 5

6 hours ago, editors_picks said:

We emphasized several times that AI cannot replace humans. AI tools might help reduce the time and investment, but those tools are absolutely not a replacement for humans.

I got this message @editors_picks but it's apparent from comments and behaviors on the marketplace and forum that many sellers on this webinar (and the previous webinar) did not get this message.

6 hours ago, editors_picks said:

Otherwise , you will keep misleading the audience here, and this is a wrong and bad behavior.

When a significant part of the audience appears to be misled, regardless of what Fiverr said or was trying to promote, this calls for additional action and possibly a course correction on the nature of the AI webinars.

Instead of touting the benefits of using AI in their workflows, the greater problem of misuse should be addressed first. It seems like the webinars benefit the minority of creatives who will use them responsibly while a majority of the audience is not yet ready for the content that was shared in the last two webinars. I thought the webinars had great content but it wasn't suited for the target audience.

The audience's reaction is just as important as the webinar's content.

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 12
  • Up 3

3 minutes ago, imagination7413 said:

For your FAQ section: 

Q: Does this include fact-checking?

No, may well contain bollocks, but bollocks created by a human. I will add that though.

BTW, I missed 1 question on the English test, but that was because the test contained a typo. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 10

25 minutes ago, vickieito said:

of the audience is not yet ready for the content that was shared in the last

(I'm sick again, so I've been mostly lurking here, but THIS quote NEEDED me to reply to it!) There will be plenty of people who (once the moral/ethical dilemma of 'but a lot of it is stolen content' dies down) will be able to use AI stuff (writing and art and whatever else) and give their own unique touch to it to make it just 'right'. I actually got a decently solid story out of chatGPT yesterday. Would need a good amount of tinkering, yes, but it's a good start.

(by dies down, I mean that they either start using only source content that they are allowed to, or compensate all artists/writers who weren't yet/etc. Not sure if that will happen, but let's pretend it would.)

If I managed to figure out a way to use it, having an AI-generated base would cut down my writing time. (that being said, since I'm not an editor and I'm terrible at it, it'd likely only be by 1 minute per 1000 words, so for ME. Personally, it wouldn't be worth it, especially if it can't use the exact same formats as I would), but still. It COULD be useful if you are just using it to aid you in your work progress. 

However, many people might see this as a 'I can copy-paste my client's prompt into the software. I am a writer'. They might even go the 'legal' route and be open about using AI content, but what they do won't be any different from, well, the client giving the AI their own prompt. 

I think people should be educated on what makes a writer/artist/etc. first. How? I'm not sure. Fiverr technically shouldn't have to 'spoonfeed' them info, but maybe it could be interesting to see if classes on design/etc. would 'sell' like that? (I mean online courses mostly.)

People are still looking for the easy way to get quick cash, and that makes a lot of sense, but giving them tools like this in (often not even their first language) is dangerous. I do think that setting some ground rules is a GREAT idea, but agree that first, the 'dangers' should be explained. Copyright claims because you use a part of a picture you weren't aware was copyrighted isn't fun, and it's not like you can reverse image search every tiny detail on AI art. (...or.. is that now possible?)

• Like 6
  • Up 6