Real painting or Computer Generated (AI) Quiz

uk1000

Which of these are real paintings from a famous artist from the 1800s?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Some of these pictures are from a famous artist from the 1800s, which ones do you think they are?

• Image 1
    • Image 2
    • Image 3
    • Image 4
    • Image 5
    • Image 6
    • Image 7
    • Image 8
    • Image 9
    • Image 10
    • Image 11
    • Image 12
    • Image 13
    • Image 14
    • Image 16
    • Image 16
    • Image 17
    • Image 18
    • Image 19
    • Image 20

This is a quiz where the aim is to try and guess which of the images are from a famous artist (just 1 particular artist) from the 1800s and which is computer generated (eg. AI).

Are the paintings below real or AI?

I might have changed the brightness/contrast on a couple of images to make it a bit less obvious. It might be obvious which are real but it's just a fun quiz.

You can click on an image to view it more clearly.

Images 1 to 5:

Image 1Image 2Image 3Image 4Image 5

Images 6 to 10:

Image 6Image 7Image 8Image 9Image 10

Images 11 to 14:

Image 11Image 12Image 13Image 14

Image 15:

Image 15

Image 16 to 19:

Image 16Image 17Image 18Image 19

Image 20:

Image 20

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 14
  • Sad 1

This is a fun survey @uk1000! How long did it take to make all the AI-generated images? I wonder what Van Gogh would think if he saw these images!!!

3 hours ago, melanielm said:

Definitely the one with the jumping blob whales.

I like the ones with the elephants ...or the free-floating flowers around the vase.

5 hours ago, uk1000 said:

There's 2 images from the original artist

That makes me feel better. I only picked two - I voted before others started posted on the thread. However, I couldn't picked wrong two!

I had to vote quick because the longer I looked at the images, the harder it got.

4 hours ago, melanielm said:

It is rather amazing what AI systems can do these days.

I agree!

• Like 12

44 minutes ago, vickieito said:

How long did it take to make all the AI-generated images?

It depends on the number of steps and the resolution and whether they're upscaled. I set it to upscale each but I didn't use the upscale because it seemed to remove some of the paint strokes.

All the images had 150 steps I think. It might be more accurate the more steps there are but there probably isn't much difference after 150 steps.

With no upscale, 150 steps, resolution 1024x512 it takes me 48 seconds per image
With 50 steps and 1024x512 it takes me 16 secs per image.

For the 896x512 images with 150 steps without upscale it takes me 38 or 39 seconds per image.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 10
  • Up 1

The answers to the quiz were:

Image 6

image-06.thumb.png.e131bdd9a7a4b4d5ed0834a33a701a02.png

and Image 9

image-09.png.918876d4d88c549728b3c7c5c62d8602.png

Those were the 2nd and 3rd most voted for. The artist was Vincent van Gogh.

All the other images were computer generated (AI).

Image 10 (the most voted for) was fake (AI):

image-10.png.4b13178fb433b82578b716bcc52c02e7.png

The real flower image that the artist did is this:

781px-Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Sunflowers_-_VGM_F458.thumb.jpg.16964b220fb2c7f2f0cc105729de3712.jpg

I was thinking of putting that image as one of the options in the quiz but it had the artist's name on the vase so that would have given it away.

I think most people picked at least one of the real images so congrats to those who picked and to those who picked both of the real ones 😃

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 8
  • Up 3

3 hours ago, uk1000 said:

Image 10 (the most voted for) was fake (AI)

That was a tricky one, @uk1000! I fell for it!

Image 9

I got this one right.

Image 6

I wasn't even close on this one!

I was thinking of putting that image as one of the options in the quiz but it had the artist's name on the vase so that would have given it away.

I don't know about that ...with all the options that you had, my mind started to play tricks on me. 😂

I think most people picked at least one of the real images so congrats

Thanks, @uk1000! This was a refreshing break from typical forum posts. 😊

• Like 10
  • Up 1

4 hours ago, uk1000 said:

Image 6

Well, got that one 😄

4 hours ago, uk1000 said:

Image 10

I was sure I've seen that vase somewhere! I was not too far away and I have to say that like more the AI version with the blues.

Seeing it now, I think that sort of lineart gave it away.

Incredible game @uk1000, thanks!

• Like 9
  • Up 1

• 1 year later...

Hi there.
I'm bagas brojo, a manual illustrator.

since 2018 I use fiverr to sell my services, especially in the field of dark art and horror illustration, since the beginning of 2023 I have not gotten any orders, only in March I got an order and even then only 1, as a manual artist I feel defeated. 

Now that I'm at level 2, do you think I have a lot of orders? Of course not, and since 2018 I haven't even reached 200 stars.  

Along with the times comes AI that can create images just by writing, I know this is the development of the times, but will the manual illustrator profession become extinct? I think yes, and soon, 

Many buyers now prefer AI drawings, I don't know the benefits that buyers get, maybe because it's easy and simple, but I don't know about the copyright.

Finally, after years of learning to draw for sale, I was finally defeated by technology, and thank you for reading this article,

source image : ARTSTATION

anjin-anhut-fj4ew3uauaao-gf.jpg

• Like 8
  • Sad 6

That's sad to hear. AI is already affecting many of us. I know some people in the writing category have said their orders are down this year, probably because of it.

I  think there are still some interesting legal battles to be had regarding copyright issues. Perhaps one or two of those will eventually help creatives. 

Edited by ahmwritingco
  • Like 15

On 12/15/2023 at 5:10 PM, bagasbrojo said:

Hi there.
I'm bagas brojo, a manual illustrator.

since 2018 I use fiverr to sell my services, especially in the field of dark art and horror illustration, since the beginning of 2023 I have not gotten any orders, only in March I got an order and even then only 1, as a manual artist I feel defeated. 

Now that I'm at level 2, do you think I have a lot of orders? Of course not, and since 2018 I haven't even reached 200 stars.  

Along with the times comes AI that can create images just by writing, I know this is the development of the times, but will the manual illustrator profession become extinct? I think yes, and soon, 

Many buyers now prefer AI drawings, I don't know the benefits that buyers get, maybe because it's easy and simple, but I don't know about the copyright.

Finally, after years of learning to draw for sale, I was finally defeated by technology, and thank you for reading this article,

It's sad, but it's true. Buyers often don't care about copyright because they go for a cheap service. And what could be cheaper than an enquiry into AI? So yeah. Illustrators are going to lose a lot financially in the coming years. And we're already feeling it. So the profession is more likely to remain at the level of a hobby, because it's getting harder and harder to find real orders not for pennies.  
And also now there are too many non-professionals who don't know how to draw, but using AI think that they are great creators of pictures. After all, you don't have to study and train for years.

• Like 8

• 4 months later...