Is it just me???

zeus777

For some reason I'm getting a lot ( and I mean a LOT) of spam messages.
Spam is nothing new, but unlike some unlucky people my "spam frequency" was overall pretty low, I'd say 3~4 a month.
I've read here at the forum that some people get over 10 everyday, that'll drive me nuts for sure.

Luckily I'm not getting 10, but I am getting muuuch more for sure. On top of that the contents are longer and detailed.
Usually my spam messages are quite short, they tell me they either A, they want a job, or B, they can be my assistant.
Recently though they get into details about how poor their families are, how they have been searching for jobs and waiting
for the jobs to come to them while they pray to god etc etc, and people on the forum are not being helpful and very unfriendly. Uh, excuse me, cough cough.
The strangest one for today was the person asking me for a job, an he said

"I can only speak one language but can translate multiple languages, any languages!"

That's a copy/paste BTW, that's exactly what the person said. OK...so you can speak one language, but you can translate??

I hit report right away of course.  I wasted 4 seconds of my life, how wonderful. Are other people getting more and more spam lately too?

After I hit the report button, I decided to go out to lunch, and I bought myself those tasty steamed xiao long bao dumplings.

And I burned my tongue. Duh.
Guys, be careful when you eat them.

Edited by zeus777
  • Like 14

5 hours ago, zeus777 said:

Are other people getting more and more spam lately too?

Since months now. All those 4 seconds add up to quite a lot of time. All those times I hear that custom sound I allotted to Fiverr messages telling me a Fiverr message came in, only to see yet another spam message...

I really wish they'd do something to tell new sign-ups that Gig ≠ BR and that they can't actually contact buyers from their side, unless having been contacted first, and that contacting other sellers will likely result in them pressing the Spam or Report button.

As just wishing won't do much good, I also tried to do something by sending CS a ticket with ideas how to eliminate or lighten the load of spam for sellers (it really should help a lot if, on signing up as sellers, they were made aware that Gig ≠ BR and that they aren't supposed to beg other sellers for jobs and might very well get reported and banned for it (consciously using the term "beg" here, because, often, it's more along the lines of begging than reminding of a cold-call business mail). Well, they said great suggestions, they'll pass it on (whether to the virtual rubbish bin, DiscoBot, or the relevant team, is anyone's guess 😅), as they do, and something about how it's unavoidable to get spam because of my awesome profile, or something, to cheer me up, or whatever.

So, let me cheer you up, Zeus, it's all because of your awesome profile, enjoy your spam!

Spam email messages might be perceived as nothing more than a nuisance, but they're actually hurting people's productivity quite a lot, according to a Kaspersky report showing people can lose up to 80 hours a year just scrolling through, or filtering out, spam messages.  

Source: techradar.com

• Like 10

Yep, I'm noticing more, although I also think the filter is working better. Perhaps it's even working too well though. I found a repeat buyer of mine had been moved to spam yesterday, nothing in the message was bad/spammy though so I'm now going to start checking the folder regularly.

This was a recent interaction I had with another 'buyer'....

Screenshot 2022-08-11 10.46.28.png

• Like 8
  • Haha 11

7 minutes ago, williambryan392 said:

so I'm now going to start checking the folder regularly.

Be careful with that, though, as it can hit your response rate if you take out an old message. Maybe take a screenshot first, so you have some proof in hands that shows that the message had been sorted into spam by Fiverr before you "saved" it and that you couldn't have responded to it sooner because of that.

• Like 6

I've had a few odd ones lately as well, all from brand new accounts, which makes me wonder if there's new rumours going around? (for example 'if you get an order within 20 hours of making your account you win the lottery?' That being said... NONE of these people have gigs. 

I... I'm very tempted to write a post on the importance of being fluent in English but we all know how that's going to end... 

This morning I woke up to someone being all 'I want to work with u?'

Sigh.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

moved to spam

I too, found a message that was moved to spam without my knowledge. I would have rather had it delivered to my inbox, so I could have responded and blocked the newbie seller. As it is, I can only report them on their profile page.

• Like 6

Well, just got another spam.
This time this person wanted me to give him a job and he can help me out with my gigs because he can do "awesome translating."

So just for the heck of it I replied "If you are really awesome at translations, you should create your own gig, I'm sure you will get an order very soon"
in Japanese.
He replied with something like "What I do not understand."

REPORT, good bye.
Also I just finished a strawberry cupcake, it was veeery nice. Snacks always makes you feel better especially after dealing with stupid spams...

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

On 8/11/2022 at 1:11 AM, zeus777 said:

For some reason I'm getting a lot ( and I mean a LOT) of spam messages.
Spam is nothing new, but unlike some unlucky people my "spam frequency" was overall pretty low, I'd say 3~4 a month.
I've read here at the forum that some people get over 10 everyday, that'll drive me nuts for sure.

Luckily I'm not getting 10, but I am getting muuuch more for sure. On top of that the contents are longer and detailed.
Usually my spam messages are quite short, they tell me they either A, they want a job, or B, they can be my assistant.
Recently though they get into details about how poor their families are, how they have been searching for jobs and waiting
for the jobs to come to them while they pray to god etc etc, and people on the forum are not being helpful and very unfriendly. Uh, excuse me, cough cough.
The strangest one for today was the person asking me for a job, an he said

"I can only speak one language but can translate multiple languages, any languages!"

That's a copy/paste BTW, that's exactly what the person said. OK...so you can speak one language, but you can translate??

I hit report right away of course.  I wasted 4 seconds of my life, how wonderful. Are other people getting more and more spam lately too?

After I hit the report button, I decided to go out to lunch, and I bought myself those tasty steamed xiao long bao dumplings.

And I burned my tongue. Duh.
Guys, be careful when you eat them.

I've received quite a few but I've reported every single one. It's been surprisingly quiet since the last batch of messages so Fiverr must be on the case. 

• Like 4