Hidden review option available for a buyer after a seller gives a review on a buyer!

aminulawedesign

I don't know that much about how the hidden review works from the Buyer's side. But I have a curiosity.  
In a scenario like this - a seller had a bad experience with a buyer, so after the buyer gave his public review of the seller's work, the seller gave the buyer a negative review. And I saw that the private feedback notification comes later to the buyer from Fiverr after 1/2 days, correct me if I am wrong here. 
Since that seller gave the buyer a negative review, now the buyer has the chance to give a review after he saw what the seller gave him. 
So after that seller gave the buyer a review still will there be a chance for that buyer to give a hidden review? Is this how it works? 
The buyer still has the option of hidden review after a seller gives his review?
If so, then what do you guys think? Is it fair?

• Like 24

How Fiverr Reviews Work

Once an order is marked as completed, a buyer has 10 days to leave a review. Once submitted, you will receive a notification, and also have the opportunity to leave a review about working with the buyer. At this stage, you can't see a buyer's review. Once both seller and buyer have completed their reviews, or the 10 days have passed, all reviews are made public. 

Responding to a review

Once both reviews (from buyer and seller) have been published, you can reply to a buyer’s review from the Order page.

The above is from the Help Centre.

• Like 19

4 hours ago, aminulawedesign said:

Is it fair?

What does fair have to do with anything?  Fiverr is in business to make money, not be fair.  With that being said, yes of course it is fair.  Public reviews are pretty much worthless in my view, because very few people have the guts to leave an accurate review, and instead either give no review or a 5-star.  I've said it many times before, if everyone is a 5-star, then no one is.  To help counteract this, Fiverr gives the buyer a chance to give a private review, which we all know will be far more realistic.  

• Like 19

5 hours ago, aminulawedesign said:

The buyer still has the option of hidden review after a seller gives his review?

I understand what you mean when thinking about how people can be quite spiteful and vindictive. So the chance definitely exists that when you leave a bad review, they'll leave a negative private review in return.

However. If you have a negative opinion about a buyer you really feel should be known to other sellers, you should share it. Despite the 'if's, when's or but's' about their private feedback content. For all you know they might not leave a bad one. I'd just think to myself; is what I think about the buyer important for others to know? Is it something that happened due to my personal faulty communication/delivery etc? If the conclusion is that the buyer is difficult to work with, then write in a professional way the bad things you encountered. 

And then simply move on freelancing your little heart out without stressing over the (private) feedback. 

• Like 15

I think it's likely that if the seller left a negative review, then the buyer's private feedback would be retaliatory.

To avoid this, even after the buyer leaves their review for you, I hypothesise you could wait until the very last day on which it is possible to leave your own review as a seller, and leave it on that final day before the review period expires.

I would imagine their private feedback, if they were going to leave it, would be long gone at that stage.

That's an assumption, however; I don't know at what stage the 'private feedback' is requested from a buyer. If such a request is only generated after the seller also leaves their review, then that messes up this suggestion of mine, ha.

• Like 14
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cs_evans said:

What does fair have to do with anything?  Fiverr is in business to make money, not be fair.  With that being said, yes of course it is fair.  Public reviews are pretty much worthless in my view, because very few people have the guts to leave an accurate review, and instead either give no review or a 5-star.  I've said it many times before, if everyone is a 5-star, then no one is.  To help counteract this, Fiverr gives the buyer a chance to give a private review, which we all know will be far more realistic.  

There is no need to be offensive. You didn't understand what I said there. It was not about putting that option of hidden review. The discussion was about - Is the hidden review option available after sellers leave their feedback?

Now about your opinion on fairness. Everybody has their opinion. But my opinion is different here. I know Fiverr is here to make money. But when a few groups of people come together to exchange things, there should be fairness. Either there will be only arguments. Eventually, that community will collapse. It's not possible to be fair 100%. But there should be fairness as much as possible. You can say the fair by the other word 'right'. Because Fiverr just doesn't make money through the buyers. Sellers are also involved. And other groups of people too.

• Like 14
  • Up 1

10 hours ago, sabinespoems said:

I understand what you mean when thinking about how people can be quite spiteful and vindictive. So the chance definitely exists that when you leave a bad review, they'll leave a negative private review in return.

However. If you have a negative opinion about a buyer you really feel should be known to other sellers, you should share it. Despite the 'if's, when's or but's' about their private feedback content. For all you know they might not leave a bad one. I'd just think to myself; is what I think about the buyer important for others to know? Is it something that happened due to my personal faulty communication/delivery etc? If the conclusion is that the buyer is difficult to work with, then write in a professional way the bad things you encountered. 

And then simply move on freelancing your little heart out without stressing over the (private) feedback. 

You are right about it. We should not take the stress about it. I just asked from curiosity what others think about it. I heard that private feedback affects ranking. I don't know how true it is.
But as long as we keep things professional, everything will be alright.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, aminulawedesign said:

You are right about it. We should not take the stress about it. I just asked from curiosity what others think about it. I heard that private feedback affects ranking. I don't know how true it is.
But as long as we keep things professional, everything will be alright.

I've been told the private reviews hold a lot of weight in your placement ranking but I can't say for sure. I have around 200 reviews and only 2 are bad and 1 of the bad was from like 2014. I had a weird glitch where for some reason I got like 25 orders in one day (I use to only get like 2-3 a week). I cracked my knuckles and got to work completing all but 1 of them on time and even the one gave me 5 stars. After that my placement ranking has tanked so I wonder if a few gave me a 5star public review but a negative private review. Support is no help and won't even tell you if you have a negative private review or anything negative in general affecting your placement.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, aminulawedesign said:

You didn't understand what I said there.

I understood what you said quite well, including your question about fairness.  I encourage you to approach fairness from this standpoint.  You agreed to the Fiverr terms of service.  The terms of service are clearly published.  Fiverr also gives you many additional avenues of support regarding how the system works.  You agreed to all of these when you decided to do business here. 

Of course, Fiverr has room for improvement, as do all businesses.  I would like the whole rating system to have a major revamp.  But "fair" doesn't come into my vocabulary when I agree to someone else's rules. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, cs_evans said:

I understood what you said quite well, including your question about fairness.  I encourage you to approach fairness from this standpoint.  You agreed to the Fiverr terms of service.  The terms of service are clearly published.  Fiverr also gives you many additional avenues of support regarding how the system works.  You agreed to all of these when you decided to do business here. 

Of course, Fiverr has room for improvement, as do all businesses.  I would like the whole rating system to have a major revamp.  But "fair" doesn't come into my vocabulary when I agree to someone else's rules. 

You talked about fair. That's your point of view. I understand that.

I love this marketplace. New things are adding everyday. Terms keep updating. But agreed to the terms will not stop me to say what I think is right or fair or wrong or problem or anything. The forum is for these things. That way Fiverr will know where to change or improve.

But what you said about review at your first reply it clearly showed you didn't understand the main reason of this discussion.

But thanks for your different perspective.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, aminulawedesign said:

it clearly showed you didn't understand the main reason of this discussion.

I knew we had some psychics on the platform (that is a whole other discussion about gigs); it seems I have met one who can read my mind.

My point is very simple, fair has nothing to do with it, nor does the timing.  Fair would mean the majority of people give open, honest, and accurate feedback, both sellers and buyers, and not play the 5-star game.  The fact that you are talking about timing of when who can do what is shining a light on the whole issue of the 5-star game, not so much a particular policy.  If everyone gave a truly accurate review, then timing of responses would be largely irrelevant.  It is like when I am looking at a product on Amazon and someone gave it a 1-star because it arrived late (but the widget was great).  The entire rating system needs an overhaul, not just a little piece of buyer gave a good review, seller gave a bad review, now buyer can give a bad review in private. 

• Like 10

13 hours ago, cs_evans said:

I knew we had some psychics on the platform (that is a whole other discussion about gigs); it seems I have met one who can read my mind.

My point is very simple, fair has nothing to do with it, nor does the timing.  Fair would mean the majority of people give open, honest, and accurate feedback, both sellers and buyers, and not play the 5-star game.  The fact that you are talking about timing of when who can do what is shining a light on the whole issue of the 5-star game, not so much a particular policy.  If everyone gave a truly accurate review, then timing of responses would be largely irrelevant.  It is like when I am looking at a product on Amazon and someone gave it a 1-star because it arrived late (but the widget was great).  The entire rating system needs an overhaul, not just a little piece of buyer gave a good review, seller gave a bad review, now buyer can give a bad review in private. 

Sometimes it's better ignore people like you who talks like that way. I forgot that for a while. 🙏

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 1:55 PM, cs_evans said:

There is no need to be prissy. The topic is valid, and you do sound like you don't get it. The system would be effective if private reviews were given before buyers read seller feedback. It's not a difficult concept, and this guy is more than welcome to discuss it. You think the system should be overhauled. Great. Good for you. We think it would work quite well if private feedback was not retaliatory. So he's asking if the buyers can read seller feedback before they give private feedback. If you want to run a thread about overhauling the review system, go start a thread. This obviously isn't the one for you.

• Like 12
  • Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2022 at 2:38 AM, cs_evans said:

"Fiverr is here to make money, not be fair." Isn't being fair part of a business? At least that is what I have been taught in my business school. 

Also, Fiverr has 2 customers, the buyers and the sellers. If it is not fair to both, it is to the detriment of Fiverr business model. But if hidden reviews work as you said, no one will dare to give buyer a negative review and Fiverr will be full of 5-star bad buyers, this will cause good sellers will leave Fiverr.

• Like 11

On 4/9/2022 at 10:24 PM, lloydsolutions said:

How Fiverr Reviews Work

Once an order is marked as completed, a buyer has 10 days to leave a review. Once submitted, you will receive a notification, and also have the opportunity to leave a review about working with the buyer. At this stage, you can't see a buyer's review. Once both seller and buyer have completed their reviews, or the 10 days have passed, all reviews are made public. 

Responding to a review

Once both reviews (from buyer and seller) have been published, you can reply to a buyer’s review from the Order page.

This the correct information.

• Like 7

On 4/10/2022 at 6:39 PM, dereck_s said:

Support is no help and won't even tell you if you have a negative private review or anything negative in general affecting your placement.

Are you on Seller Plus? I think your support manager can give a better answer on your situation regarding this.

• Like 8
  • Congrats! 2

@moikchap - Hey, sorry for tagging you here but you are one of the active buyers in the forum that I know of. Just really curious and if its okay if you could give some insight as to the buyer experience on private feedback? The last time I bought I couldn't quite remember when the private feedback was initiated. But I can recall I was prompted several times (because I usually don't bother filling it up right away). 

1. Are you able to give private feedback if you don't leave a public review?

2. If you did leave a review, and the seller leaves one for you as well (are you informed that the seller left a review and prompted right away to leave private feedback)?

Thank you for your time! 

• Like 9
  • Congrats! 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey, no problem.

1) I haven't done it recently, but from what I recall; yes, it's possible to leave a private and not a public.

I just finished an order and it prompted me for private feedback directly off accepting the order. It asked me for private before public. From what I recall, I can leave private without leaving public, I believe I have done that before. But, I have gotten the prompt for public off the order flow, but not private, and then I would get the notification for private later. Possibly they have multiple flows they're A/B testing. 

2) I don't recall ever seeing a prompt which mentioned the seller leaving a review.

There has been a few orders where I didn't have a lot nice to say, so I didn't leave a public. I didn't get a notification that I can recall about those sellers leaving a review. Maybe there were, but they weren't phrased as being the seller's action. But it kind of sounds like sellers don't get prompted to leave a review unless they get a review. So possibly none of them were electing to. In my experience, I get a public review if I leave a public review, and I don't get a public review if I don't leave a public review.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Hello guys, I know many sellers are wondering now after seeing this discussion.
I experienced this as a buyer a few days ago. So I tracked it and checked it myself to see how it works.
Our discussion was about if a buyer would be able to give private feedback even after the seller leaves a review? The answer is 'Yes'.

So if the private feedback impact on sellers gig rankings, then this is a bad news. There is no solution for this. 
But you can trick a little. The good news is Fiverr doesn't prompt the buyers often for this private feedback after order completed. So you can wait a bit after buyer leaves a public review and then leave your feedback after 7-8 days if you have that time(because you and buyer both would have 10days to leave a feedback after order completed). This is the best you can do, wait a bit to leave your feedback.

I just shared my thought. If you have any thought, please share here to help other sellers on this issue. I believe private feedbacks impact on profile.

• Like 6

On 4/9/2022 at 9:54 PM, lloydsolutions said:

How Fiverr Reviews Work

Responding to a review

Hey, just a question as I can't seem to find a definite answer in the search.

Can a buyer edit or update the review after the review is published?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, farrukh_bala said:

• Leaving a Buyer's feedback is a basic prerogative of a Buyer. Feedback reviews will not be removed unless there are clear violations of our Terms of Service and/or our Community Standards.
  • The above is from the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, farrukh_bala said:

No, the buyer can not edit reviews. Only the Support can edit if the buyer reviewed by mistake rating wrong. And only Support can remove if this violate the terms.

• Like 5

On 6/25/2022 at 11:01 AM, farrukh_bala said:

They would have to contact Customer Support for that, and give them a good reason why they want to edit or update their review.

And if the reason is that the seller contacted them and talked to them about the review, the seller could get an account warning.

• Like 5
  • Up 1

On 4/9/2022 at 6:36 PM, aminulawedesign said:

I don't know that much about how the hidden review works from the Buyer's side. But I have a curiosity.  
In a scenario like this - a seller had a bad experience with a buyer, so after the buyer gave his public review of the seller's work, the seller gave the buyer a negative review. And I saw that the private feedback notification comes later to the buyer from Fiverr after 1/2 days, correct me if I am wrong here. 
Since that seller gave the buyer a negative review, now the buyer has the chance to give a review after he saw what the seller gave him. 
So after that seller gave the buyer a review still will there be a chance for that buyer to give a hidden review? Is this how it works? 
If so, then what do you guys think? Is it fair?

The private feedback the buyers give to the sellers is way more effective than the public feedback, it has a direct effect on the sellers' ranking.

• Like 4