My Recent Experience on Fiverr So Far

john5591

Hello there!
1.) “What’s your budget?” generally inquires the ‘quality’ of a product as it both depends on time and money. Maybe you say, you want it for 5$ and then require your website to have “name a list here”. So a developer can either tell you a different price, be more ‘merciful’ and agree to work with your/within your budget or try and go ‘eco’ mode on that project.

1. WIX/Wordpress/Ucoz (you name it) - are relatively easy to build websites because its least time consuming rather than a proper web development. Proper web development normally assumes $/h stake thus it can grow crazily expensive unless a web developer already has a ready “template” for you to use, then its only “adjust this or that” phase.

2. Ironically, if you want to go cheap and simple, then why NOT to try Wordpress? As in… what stops you? You can try look to get a custom theme for it and make a requirement to avoid any “Freemium” themes to be used by the developers or Elementor/Pagelayer, etc.

Either way, best of luck to you!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it’s not really a scam to charge what you can get, it’s part of the gig-economy.

It is a scam if they’re trying to break the rules (and there’s no such thing as 40% upfront payment on Fiverr).

Let’s not pretend there are a bunch of professional people with any kind of ethics involved in all this.

Again, just because you ran into one unethical person doesn’t mean that all Fiverr sellers are unethical. There are plenty of honest people here who are good at what they do.

look for repeat customers by following up a week later asking them if they’re satisfied with the product.

Messaging a former buyer after the order was marked as complete isn’t allowed on Fiverr unless the buyer initiates the new contact. Once the seller delivers, buyer can ask for revisions if needed, and if the order is marked as complete, it means that the buyer considers the work done and is satisfied with it. Sellers who send new messages to the buyer after that can get into trouble with Fiverr.

Let’s be realistic catwriter. On a free-for-all competitive site I don’t find it unusual that the phrase caveat emptor should be foremost in people’s minds. Of course not everyone cheats, but conversely, a ‘gig’ marketplace isn’t somewhere that’s a shining example of morality and ethics either.

I just made a website with notepad and a copied free template.

Replying to your quote of: Now I do creative work using expensive and technical equipment and software .

How’s that connected? So every web developer, in your opinion, is just doing like the freelancer you met and every project can be done with a notepad and copy-pasted template? Well, you’re wrong.

Of course not every project can be done with notepad, but that’s how I found you can copy a template and tweak it to sell on. I think there’s a big difference between a web developer and someone selling copied landing pages from open source websites. Does that make me a web designer or developer now? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hello there!

1.) “What’s your budget?” generally inquires the ‘quality’ of a product as it both depends on time and money. Maybe you say, you want it for 5$ and then require your website to have “name a list here”. So a developer can either tell you a different price, be more ‘merciful’ and agree to work with your/within your budget or try and go ‘eco’ mode on that project.

1. WIX/Wordpress/Ucoz (you name it) - are relatively easy to build websites because its least time consuming rather than a proper web development. Proper web development normally assumes $/h stake thus it can grow crazily expensive unless a web developer already has a ready “template” for you to use, then its only “adjust this or that” phase.

2. Ironically, if you want to go cheap and simple, then why NOT to try Wordpress? As in… what stops you? You can try look to get a custom theme for it and make a requirement to avoid any “Freemium” themes to be used by the developers or Elementor/Pagelayer, etc.

Either way, best of luck to you!

‘What’s your budget’ means is it worth bothering with. It took me a few hours to copy a html/css template off the internet and do it myself. I’m not a designer, I just caught on to how it was being done while the majority were clicking their tongues and telling me how valuable their time was and how professional they were. ‘Adjust this or that’ I can do myself.

Of course I could use wordpress or Wix and have done as practice, but it’s not a question of cheap, but a html full of spam and affiliated links rubbish.

I write satire and will now ‘design’ my own website the way I want it with a clean and fast loading page, not what someone else is offering me. I’ll get one of the cheap annual basic plans all host providers are offering which includes a domain name and basically do it myself. I’m not dreaming of making loads of money from my content, it’s a hobby an interest and not a question of having a budget as part of an expected profit. 🙂

I’m with the fiverr project, really I am. If you’ve got skills to sell get out there and sell them. Yet let’s not pretend there are thousands here with the skills of a brain surgeon that are so busy they wouldn’t get out of bed unless a ‘gig’ was worth a thousand dollars minimum. On other threads the reality is beginning to sink in as the number of orders fall, but hey, that’s the competitive ‘gig’ life for you.

Of course not every project can be done with notepad, but that’s how I found you can copy a template and tweak it to sell on. I think there’s a big difference between a web developer and someone selling copied landing pages from open source websites. Does that make me a web designer or developer now? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

True, but your reply was in context of enunciator’s post regarding costs that one who is willing to produce a quality creative work have to bear. In same way, a designer might use subscription to Adobe services, a webdev pays for his IDE and other specific software. Usually a good web developer is not the same person who makes design, and even web developers differ to ones who work on frontend and backend. I personally am suspicious of those who claims they provide both design and development, it’s usually a good sign to be careful.

I don’t do web design.

There are things that you can get away with using free/cheap equipment and programs, but there are other things that one cannot.

For instance, I use a $3200 microphone on a $400 shock mount in a booth with about $600 worth of sound treating and $400 in ventilating that runs into a $1000 DAC with $100 XLR cables, that goes into a $2500 computer. That’s just for my VO gigs, and I’ve left out even more for potentially seeming like I’m flexing.

I’ve invested heavily in what I do, but I guess I’m still someone who just plays around at pretending to work and tries to bamboozle buyers.

I use a $3200 microphone on a $400 shock mount in a booth with about $600 worth of sound treating and $400 in ventilating that runs into a $1000 DAC with $100 XLR cables, that goes into a $2500 computer.

Yo Enunciator, I wanna see your kit 😂 I’m looking to upgrade!!

I use a $3200 microphone on a $400 shock mount in a booth with about $600 worth of sound treating and $400 in ventilating that runs into a $1000 DAC with $100 XLR cables, that goes into a $2500 computer.

Yo Enunciator, I wanna see your kit 😂 I’m looking to upgrade!!

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Can do! But prices will vary since some equipment have newer models released, production shortages, etc, and I also don’t know which specific components you’re looking to upgrade.

But I don’t think this is the appropriate thread for a gear comparison and rundown! 😅

True, but your reply was in context of enunciator’s post regarding costs that one who is willing to produce a quality creative work have to bear. In same way, a designer might use subscription to Adobe services, a webdev pays for his IDE and other specific software. Usually a good web developer is not the same person who makes design, and even web developers differ to ones who work on frontend and backend. I personally am suspicious of those who claims they provide both design and development, it’s usually a good sign to be careful.

Yes, I agree that a professioanal in whatever they’re doing will have costs, but what I’m saying is there’s a difference between a professional and the hordes of (I’m looking for the right words here), ‘copy designers’ pretending they’re people whose time is so valuable they won’t do anything under a fantasy price that they dream they’re worth.

Perhaps I’m the odd one out here, but I can sense the desperation in some of the descriptions (which all generally sound the same) and the stars in their eyes types who would charge $269 for a resume (WHAT?!), or the ‘millionairre’ fantasies. Tell me I’m wrong, but I don’t think major corporations are prowling Fiverr looking to buy a website starting at a basic of $3.72, which for me very quickly turned into a requested $400, 40% upfront. Yes, I know it’s not allowed, which sort of goes to show the desperation.

Undoubtably, there are those here who are worth that, but I think they’re a bit thin on the ground. Keep trying? No thanks, I did it myself and you know what? It wasn’t difficult or require any special skills or above average knowledge. 🙂

Yes, I agree that a professioanal in whatever they’re doing will have costs, but what I’m saying is there’s a difference between a professional and the hordes of (I’m looking for the right words here), ‘copy designers’ pretending they’re people whose time is so valuable they won’t do anything under a fantasy price that they dream they’re worth.

Perhaps I’m the odd one out here, but I can sense the desperation in some of the descriptions (which all generally sound the same) and the stars in their eyes types who would charge $269 for a resume (WHAT?!), or the ‘millionairre’ fantasies. Tell me I’m wrong, but I don’t think major corporations are prowling Fiverr looking to buy a website starting at a basic of $3.72, which for me very quickly turned into a requested $400, 40% upfront. Yes, I know it’s not allowed, which sort of goes to show the desperation.

Undoubtably, there are those here who are worth that, but I think they’re a bit thin on the ground. Keep trying? No thanks, I did it myself and you know what? It wasn’t difficult or require any special skills or above average knowledge. 🙂

No thanks, I did it myself and you know what? It wasn’t difficult or require any special skills or above average knowledge.

This is a great ending to this thread.

Glad to see you figured it out @john5591

All the best.

• wp_kid unfeatured this topic

Archived