My Recent Experience on Fiverr So Far

john5591

As a newcomer (buyer) to fiverr, here’s my opinion so far.

First, I came looking for someone to build a simple and cheap (I’m older on a state pension) blog landing page with one sidebar, nothing designer fancy and mostly consisting of place holders where I would put in the content later. Yes, people not obsessed with profit and who are not looking for a sales brochure website do exist. Not everyone wants a template html filled with Wix and WordPress spam, plugins, adsense and all the rest of it.

What I’ve found is that the single landing page at $3.72 very quickly turns into hundreds of dollars!

Second, I find the ‘what’s your budget’ price question odd. Surely, if you’re selling something you have a price in mind not based on what you think someone will pay.

When I go into a shop, or on a bus or try to buy anything and I ask, ‘how much is that?’ I expect a price (sometimes a little haggling involved) but not ‘how much can I grab from you?’ As someone who is both older and English, it just sounds an odd way of selling, but I suppose it’s just something I’m not used to. 😕

For those sellers outside the west, don’t assume we’re all rich and have hundreds or thousands to throw around.

I’m still looking, but I have a feeling I’m going to eventually have to try to do it myself. 🙂

Hi John5591. I do understand your situation, and I’m sorry to hear about what you went through here at Fiverr. People are different. And, people will be people.😀 Some charge too high for their services and some charge too low. There are lots of sellers to choose from here at Fiverr, so don’t go anywhere else and definitely don’t do your own blog landing page. Let one of the Fiverr sellers do it for you. Remember: You Have To Shop Around.

Wishing you all the best?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked one designer. Simple landing page, my own design, you do the HTML and CSS. He didn’t even see the basic design and quoted $400, 40% upfront! You are having a laugh.

He didn’t even see the basic design and quoted $400, 40% upfront!

Sounds like a scammer. That’s not how Fiverr works.

On Fiverr, when you place the order, you pay the full price, the seller works on the order and delivers, and gets the money 2 weeks after the order was accepted and marked as complete.

@wp_kid gave you a good advice.

I take your point, but let’s not pretend that you have such sought after skills that you can name your own price. Fiverr is bursting at the seams with competition as it’s a niche market you’re in. I suspect those people who are lucky enough to work in corporate design are not touting for business on Fiverr and your customers are generally those looking for bargain prices because they can’t afford market prices.

It’s also true to say that if I went to an estate agent I’d be asked my price range and that’s because the properties available have already been priced and I’m simply being asked what I can afford. It’s why the display of properties advertised in the window have price tags.

I come from an era where there wasn’t a gig-economy with everyone trying to grab what they can. We had things called jobs and so this grab what you can culture is alien to me.

Look on me as your Grandfather, who in his retirement with only a reduced and taxed state pension is looking for a blog to keep him occupied and not some corporate business that you’re hoping you can get the maximum amount out of. 🙂

I take your point, but let’s not pretend that you have such sought after skills that you can name your own price.

what the…

I wish I had a £ for every person I met on the Internet that told me they’re making big money. Your time is only worth what people will pay for it and in a gig-economy where everyone is fighting for whatever they can get, that isn’t a lot.

For most folks, definitely. But for those of us lucky enough to be making a living on Fiverr, we have to weed out the cheap buyers who are looking to pay pennies per hour of work.

I don’t really understand the chip on your shoulder.

We had things called jobs and so this grab what you can culture is alien to me.

That sounds great. I lost my “real job” due to covid this year and “grabbing what I could” kept a roof over my head.

This whole thread is… just wild.

I take your point, but let’s not pretend that you have such sought after skills that you can name your own price.

what the…

I wish I had a £ for every person I met on the Internet that told me they’re making big money. Your time is only worth what people will pay for it and in a gig-economy where everyone is fighting for whatever they can get, that isn’t a lot.

For most folks, definitely. But for those of us lucky enough to be making a living on Fiverr, we have to weed out the cheap buyers who are looking to pay pennies per hour of work.

I don’t really understand the chip on your shoulder.

We had things called jobs and so this grab what you can culture is alien to me.

That sounds great. I lost my “real job” due to covid this year and “grabbing what I could” kept a roof over my head.

This whole thread is… just wild.

Quite offensive, tbh.

I have no doubt that there are profiles of ‘people who have earned a million’, but it’s entirely possible that earning is over the course of 10 years. Likewise, I bet there are a few millionaires that are Sellers, by the definition of ‘net-worth of all investments’, as a good 401k can totally reach that number, but it’s untouchable until retirement and their short-term funds might not be looking so good.

Still, there is one profile I can think of that might qualify. (I only know of it because I was shocked the person had a Fiverr profile. fiverr.com/robjanoffllc )

I have no doubt that there are profiles of ‘people who have earned a million’, but it’s entirely possible that earning is over the course of 10 years. Likewise, I bet there are a few millionaires that are Sellers, by the definition of ‘net-worth of all investments’, as a good 401k can totally reach that number, but it’s untouchable until retirement and their short-term funds might not be looking so good.

Still, there is one profile I can think of that might qualify. (I only know of it because I was shocked the person had a Fiverr profile. fiverr.com/robjanoffllc )

That profile has made nowhere near a million on Fiverr orders. He’s certainly a millionaire, but that has no connection to Fiverr lol.

But yeah, there are sellers pulling well over 100k a year on Fiverr. Some of them have been here for quite a few years. It’s almost certain some people have made more than 1 million in orders. Quite a few people, actually.

Got a message yesterday telling me that I’ve reached my limit of posts for one day and told me to go away for 22 hours. I didn’t realize there was a limit.

I’m not here to argue as such, just to state a point. Forget the dreams guys, we’re heading for the biggest predicted economic recession/depression since the 17th century, which will make the 2008 crash look like a picnic. For every seller making money there will be a thousand who don’t, but are convinced that because someone else did they will too. That’s how a gig-economy works, on hope.

Last night I scratched my head wondering how someone can design a website in an a few hours and finally got the answer. Download a freebie template in html/css, tweak the html in notepad, alter the css to match and hey presto, one designer website! I suppose that’s why the person I asked to start even a simple one from scratch didn’t have a clue and wanted to charge 40% upfront and $400.

I would feel annoyed if I faced this “what’s your budget” question. I recommend instead of saying “…nothing designer fancy …” search and find out some websites which can be followed as an example site, add them to your proposal and ask for the quote (price & time frame). For blogs, simple landing page templates are not so good, WordPress is a good choice for blog. If you don’t comfort finding an example website, you can build your site with a pre-made theme. Simply go to WordPress .com (or ThemeForest or any theme directores) and search for themes, choose one and ask how much they would like to charge to make a blog site with that theme (include how many pages & placeholder posts you needed.).

And welcome to the Fiverr & Fiverr forum, good luck on getting your blog site.

Thank you. If I’m going to make a website, WordPress, Wix, SquareSpace (and a dozen more) I want to stay as far away from as possible. There’s a reason they’re free and that’s because the html is a mass of promotional spam and links out to commerce sites. Open source yes, but not the ‘build your own’ ones. I finally figured out how it’s being done which no one cares to mention and although I’m slow, I’ll get the result I want with a bit of work. Landing page with content and an open source phpBB forum hopefully for eventual member content. No selling, which might sound odd to some … 🙂

Thank you. If I’m going to make a website, WordPress, Wix, SquareSpace (and a dozen more) I want to stay as far away from as possible. There’s a reason they’re free and that’s because the html is a mass of promotional spam and links out to commerce sites. Open source yes, but not the ‘build your own’ ones. I finally figured out how it’s being done which no one cares to mention and although I’m slow, I’ll get the result I want with a bit of work. Landing page with content and an open source phpBB forum hopefully for eventual member content. No selling, which might sound odd to some … 🙂

There’s a reason they’re free and that’s because the html is a mass of promotional spam and links out to commerce sites.

No, not necessarily. That stuff comes from plugins and themes, not from Wordpress itself. You can build your own theme from scratch and write plugins for certain tasks to get clean and lightweight site, but it requires time and in-depth knowledge.

There’s a reason they’re free and that’s because the html is a mass of promotional spam and links out to commerce sites.

No, not necessarily. That stuff comes from plugins and themes, not from Wordpress itself. You can build your own theme from scratch and write plugins for certain tasks to get clean and lightweight site, but it requires time and in-depth knowledge.

I put a WP theme through the WC3 validator, as well as one I have on Wix as a practice model and the amount of garbage in the html of both was amazing. I’m not really surprised though, it’s how they advertise and they certainly don’t do free themes for nothing. The ‘time and in-depth knowledge’ to figure out that many ‘designers’ are selling free tweaked themes took me about an hour and once figured out, I’ll do one myself without some idiot trying to charge me $400 to do it. 🙂

Now to do one from scratch, yes that would certainly take skills.

I put a WP theme through the WC3 validator, as well as one I have on Wix as a practice model and the amount of garbage in the html of both was amazing. I’m not really surprised though, it’s how they advertise and they certainly don’t do free themes for nothing. The ‘time and in-depth knowledge’ to figure out that many ‘designers’ are selling free tweaked themes took me about an hour and once figured out, I’ll do one myself without some idiot trying to charge me $400 to do it. 🙂

Now to do one from scratch, yes that would certainly take skills.

At those times when putting the “W3C Valid” badge on a website counted as achievement, I already had to use sorts of JS hacks to bypass some of their checks - they were completely pointless. Later I started ignoring them at all because time needed to prepare valid code didn’t worth it - and I still was a kind of the perfect code adept 🙂

I don’t think the majority of those who claim to be WP experts even able to write custom theme rather than use builder. The thing is, the product they do suits well the majority of their buyers, so you just turned out a kind of a “demanding buyer” 😃

At those times when putting the “W3C Valid” badge on a website counted as achievement, I already had to use sorts of JS hacks to bypass some of their checks - they were completely pointless. Later I started ignoring them at all because time needed to prepare valid code didn’t worth it - and I still was a kind of the perfect code adept 🙂

I don’t think the majority of those who claim to be WP experts even able to write custom theme rather than use builder. The thing is, the product they do suits well the majority of their buyers, so you just turned out a kind of a “demanding buyer” 😃

I wouldn’t use the validator as a status symbol, but rather to look at what’s in the html and its size. I don’t try to fool it. If I wanted something for nothing as in wp.org I can’t really complain if I get rubbish, but if I’m paying I want more than, ‘here’s a website that I’ve decided you get, be quiet and pay up.’ I know what I want and if that’s demanding, then yes.

I take your point, but let’s not pretend that you have such sought after skills that you can name your own price. Fiverr is bursting at the seams with competition as it’s a niche market you’re in. I suspect those people who are lucky enough to work in corporate design are not touting for business on Fiverr and your customers are generally those looking for bargain prices because they can’t afford market prices.

It’s also true to say that if I went to an estate agent I’d be asked my price range and that’s because the properties available have already been priced and I’m simply being asked what I can afford. It’s why the display of properties advertised in the window have price tags.

I come from an era where there wasn’t a gig-economy with everyone trying to grab what they can. We had things called jobs and so this grab what you can culture is alien to me.

Look on me as your Grandfather, who in his retirement with only a reduced and taxed state pension is looking for a blog to keep him occupied and not some corporate business that you’re hoping you can get the maximum amount out of. 🙂

It might sound a bit crazy, but receiving an order is the equivalent of receiving a work task, aka, a job to do.

Look on me as your Grandfather, who in his retirement with only a reduced and taxed state pension is looking for a blog to keep him occupied and not some corporate business that you’re hoping you can get the maximum amount out of.

Are there bad sellers who try to squeeze as much possible out of a buyer in an order? Unfortunately, yes. Are there sensible sellers who are given tasks that are beyond the scope of a normal order and would require additional payment to make such an endeavor worthwhile? Why, yes. What one person might perceive as being highway robbery, another might see as being completely reasonable.

That’s a foundational aspect of Fiverr, sellers set their own prices for their services. Now, actually receiving orders is a whole different kettle of fish.

It might sound a bit crazy, but receiving an order is the equivalent of receiving a work task, aka, a job to do.

Look on me as your Grandfather, who in his retirement with only a reduced and taxed state pension is looking for a blog to keep him occupied and not some corporate business that you’re hoping you can get the maximum amount out of.

Are there bad sellers who try to squeeze as much possible out of a buyer in an order? Unfortunately, yes. Are there sensible sellers who are given tasks that are beyond the scope of a normal order and would require additional payment to make such an endeavor worthwhile? Why, yes. What one person might perceive as being highway robbery, another might see as being completely reasonable.

That’s a foundational aspect of Fiverr, sellers set their own prices for their services. Now, actually receiving orders is a whole different kettle of fish.

I suppose we have different definitions of work. I’ve just found that copying a template and tweaking it is how it’s done. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I wouldn’t call it work, or myself a designer.

Yet sellers don’t charge their own prices, they ask what the buyers budget is. Would you like to bet that if I asked a seller for a product and said my budget was £100, they’d do it for half that? It’s why it’s called a ‘gig’, or grab what you can.

I suppose we have different definitions of work. I’ve just found that copying a template and tweaking it is how it’s done. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I wouldn’t call it work, or myself a designer.

Yet sellers don’t charge their own prices, they ask what the buyers budget is. Would you like to bet that if I asked a seller for a product and said my budget was £100, they’d do it for half that? It’s why it’s called a ‘gig’, or grab what you can.

I’ve done physical work, taking a toll on my body. Now I do creative work using expensive and technical equipment and software. I see both as being “work” with just one being far more enjoyable and preferable to me nowadays!

Got a message yesterday telling me that I’ve reached my limit of posts for one day and told me to go away for 22 hours. I didn’t realize there was a limit.

I’m not here to argue as such, just to state a point. Forget the dreams guys, we’re heading for the biggest predicted economic recession/depression since the 17th century, which will make the 2008 crash look like a picnic. For every seller making money there will be a thousand who don’t, but are convinced that because someone else did they will too. That’s how a gig-economy works, on hope.

Last night I scratched my head wondering how someone can design a website in an a few hours and finally got the answer. Download a freebie template in html/css, tweak the html in notepad, alter the css to match and hey presto, one designer website! I suppose that’s why the person I asked to start even a simple one from scratch didn’t have a clue and wanted to charge 40% upfront and $400.

For the first day on the forum only, to slow down spammers.

Yet sellers don’t charge their own prices, they ask what the buyers budget is.

Some do that, many don’t.

Would you like to bet that if I asked a seller for a product and said my budget was £100, they’d do it for half that?

Some would, actually, if that’s what they’d normally charge for that kind of work.

Just because you ran into a scammer doesn’t mean that all Fiverr sellers (millions of them!) are scammers.

For the first day on the forum only, to slow down spammers.

Yet sellers don’t charge their own prices, they ask what the buyers budget is.

Some do that, many don’t.

Would you like to bet that if I asked a seller for a product and said my budget was £100, they’d do it for half that?

Some would, actually, if that’s what they’d normally charge for that kind of work.

Just because you ran into a scammer doesn’t mean that all Fiverr sellers (millions of them!) are scammers.

Well, it’s not really a scam to charge what you can get, it’s part of the gig-economy. The whole purpose behind it is to grab what you can before someone else does. Let’s not pretend there are a bunch of professional people with any kind of ethics involved in all this. I’m not saying it’s wrong, I’m saying that’s what it’s all about.

I’ve done physical work, taking a toll on my body. Now I do creative work using expensive and technical equipment and software. I see both as being “work” with just one being far more enjoyable and preferable to me nowadays!

I just made a website with notepad and a copied free template.

Many are now beginning to struggle, so from the outside looking in here are my three tips.

• Above all be honest. In a competitive niche where everyone is a self-styled genius, honesty will pay dividends.

• Show the potential customer a selection of your designs and tell them you’ll make modifications such as colour or a box moving from here to there. Involve them in the process and don’t just think they’ll be happy with what you think they should have.

• Don’t be greedy. People instinctively know if they’re being fleeced and look for repeat customers by following up a week later asking them if they’re satisfied with the product. Word of mouth is the best promotion you’ll ever get.

Replying to your quote of: Now I do creative work using expensive and technical equipment and software.

I don’t do web design.

There are things that you can get away with using free/cheap equipment and programs, but there are other things that one cannot.

For instance, I use a $3200 microphone on a $400 shock mount in a booth with about $600 worth of sound treating and $400 in ventilating that runs into a $1000 DAC with $100 XLR cables, that goes into a $2500 computer. That’s just for my VO gigs, and I’ve left out even more for potentially seeming like I’m flexing.

I’ve invested heavily in what I do, but I guess I’m still someone who just plays around at pretending to work and tries to bamboozle buyers.

I don’t do web design.

There are things that you can get away with using free/cheap equipment and programs, but there are other things that one cannot.

For instance, I use a $3200 microphone on a $400 shock mount in a booth with about $600 worth of sound treating and $400 in ventilating that runs into a $1000 DAC with $100 XLR cables, that goes into a $2500 computer. That’s just for my VO gigs, and I’ve left out even more for potentially seeming like I’m flexing.

I’ve invested heavily in what I do, but I guess I’m still someone who just plays around at pretending to work and tries to bamboozle buyers.

Then you’re on the wrong thread. This one is about web designer sellers.

Well, it’s not really a scam to charge what you can get, it’s part of the gig-economy. The whole purpose behind it is to grab what you can before someone else does. Let’s not pretend there are a bunch of professional people with any kind of ethics involved in all this. I’m not saying it’s wrong, I’m saying that’s what it’s all about.

Well, it’s not really a scam to charge what you can get, it’s part of the gig-economy.

It is a scam if they’re trying to break the rules (and there’s no such thing as 40% upfront payment on Fiverr).

Let’s not pretend there are a bunch of professional people with any kind of ethics involved in all this.

Again, just because you ran into one unethical person doesn’t mean that all Fiverr sellers are unethical. There are plenty of honest people here who are good at what they do.

look for repeat customers by following up a week later asking them if they’re satisfied with the product.

Messaging a former buyer after the order was marked as complete isn’t allowed on Fiverr unless the buyer initiates the new contact. Once the seller delivers, buyer can ask for revisions if needed, and if the order is marked as complete, it means that the buyer considers the work done and is satisfied with it. Sellers who send new messages to the buyer after that can get into trouble with Fiverr.

Replying to your quote of: Now I do creative work using expensive and technical equipment and software .

How’s that connected? So every web developer, in your opinion, is just doing like the freelancer you met and every project can be done with a notepad and copy-pasted template? Well, you’re wrong.

Archived