My Recent Experience on Fiverr So Far

john5591

As a newcomer (buyer) to fiverr, here’s my opinion so far.

First, I came looking for someone to build a simple and cheap (I’m older on a state pension) blog landing page with one sidebar, nothing designer fancy and mostly consisting of place holders where I would put in the content later. Yes, people not obsessed with profit and who are not looking for a sales brochure website do exist. Not everyone wants a template html filled with Wix and WordPress spam, plugins, adsense and all the rest of it.

What I’ve found is that the single landing page at $3.72 very quickly turns into hundreds of dollars!
Second, I find the ‘what’s your budget’ price question odd. Surely, if you’re selling something you have a price in mind not based on what you think someone will pay.
When I go into a shop, or on a bus or try to buy anything and I ask, ‘how much is that?’ I expect a price (sometimes a little haggling involved) but not ‘how much can I grab from you?’ As someone who is both older and English, it just sounds an odd way of selling, but I suppose it’s just something I’m not used to. 😕

For those sellers outside the west, don’t assume we’re all rich and have hundreds or thousands to throw around.
I’m still looking, but I have a feeling I’m going to eventually have to try to do it myself. 🙂

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are so many web developers coming on the forum and asking for suggestions to get their first order. Hey guys, it’s your chance 🙂

Not everyone wants a template html filled with Wix and WordPress spam, plugins, adsense and all the rest of it.

I totally understand. That’s why I got retired from web development myself after more than 10 years working in that area - I just couldn’t accept the new trends, while keeping using my old-fashioned way made me completely non-competitive.

I have a feeling I’m going to eventually have to try to do it myself.

Why not. At least you can get a better understanding of what your freelancer is doing under the hood and ask what exactly they’re about to charge you for.

As a newcomer (buyer) to fiverr, here’s my opinion so far.

First, I came looking for someone to build a simple and cheap (I’m older on a state pension) blog landing page with one sidebar, nothing designer fancy and mostly consisting of place holders where I would put in the content later. Yes, people not obsessed with profit and who are not looking for a sales brochure website do exist. Not everyone wants a template html filled with Wix and WordPress spam, plugins, adsense and all the rest of it.

What I’ve found is that the single landing page at $3.72 very quickly turns into hundreds of dollars!

Second, I find the ‘what’s your budget’ price question odd. Surely, if you’re selling something you have a price in mind not based on what you think someone will pay.

When I go into a shop, or on a bus or try to buy anything and I ask, ‘how much is that?’ I expect a price (sometimes a little haggling involved) but not ‘how much can I grab from you?’ As someone who is both older and English, it just sounds an odd way of selling, but I suppose it’s just something I’m not used to. 😕

For those sellers outside the west, don’t assume we’re all rich and have hundreds or thousands to throw around.

I’m still looking, but I have a feeling I’m going to eventually have to try to do it myself. 🙂

When I go into a shop, or on a bus or try to buy anything and I ask, ‘how much is that?’ I expect a price (sometimes a little haggling involved) but not ‘how much can I grab from you?

You are comparing the incomparable. One thing is purchasing an already made product, like you do at a shop. Another is buying a bespoke thing, made just for you, from scratch. If I’m selling, say, a book, I already know how long it took me to make it, and how much it has cost me to produce, so I know how to price it. Not so on Fiverr - we can’t charge by the hour, and every project is different, so I need way more information to know if it’s worthwhile or not.

I’m a seller “in the west”, and I also ask for budget, for multiple reasons:

1. To know if it’s worth my time. If the value is way under what would work for me, I just pass on it and waste no further time (both mine and the client’s). If it sounds doable, I’ll have a free consultation call with the client, try to understand the project, etc. Makes no sense to waste my time on a call if his budget is way under my rates.

2. To know if the expectations are realistic. I work in video production, and I can do a video for $100 or for $1000. But those will be different videos. Knowing the client’s budget helps me know what I can do for them.

3. To know if we are the right fit for the client’s needs. If their budget is way over my pay grade, for example, I know the project is probably outside my scope and they should go with a bigger entity. And vice versa. Expectation management plays a big part, and the value of money is relative. Some people are happy to pay $1000 for a competent product, others will demand the world for it and hassle the seller to no end with revisions because “I paid so much!!!11!!11!”. I want to work with the first one, I want to avoid the second. Knowing the budget lets me know the value of money for the client, and what they think is “too expensive” or “too cheap”.

Think of it like hiring an architecture/engineering firm to design and build a house. Wouldn’t it be normal for them to ask “what’s your budget to build this?” Only with that information can they decide on stuff like what materials to use, how many people to dedicate to the project, etc. Two houses of the same size can cost wildly different amounts depending on the details. And since the engineering firm will know much better than the client what options even exist, it’s just easier for them to follow your budget than to give you 100 different options at 100 different price points.

Or an even more straightforward example - you want to buy a house. You go to a real estate firm. First question they’ll ask is your budget - to know what houses to show you. Because there are houses at every price. They may even let you know your budget is too low for what you’re looking for, or too high (sorry, we don’t have houses that expensive here, you may want to look at “xxyyzz luxury real estate company” instead).

It’s the same concept here.

When I go into a shop, or on a bus or try to buy anything and I ask, ‘how much is that?’ I expect a price (sometimes a little haggling involved) but not ‘how much can I grab from you?

You are comparing the incomparable. One thing is purchasing an already made product, like you do at a shop. Another is buying a bespoke thing, made just for you, from scratch. If I’m selling, say, a book, I already know how long it took me to make it, and how much it has cost me to produce, so I know how to price it. Not so on Fiverr - we can’t charge by the hour, and every project is different, so I need way more information to know if it’s worthwhile or not.

I’m a seller “in the west”, and I also ask for budget, for multiple reasons:

1. To know if it’s worth my time. If the value is way under what would work for me, I just pass on it and waste no further time (both mine and the client’s). If it sounds doable, I’ll have a free consultation call with the client, try to understand the project, etc. Makes no sense to waste my time on a call if his budget is way under my rates.

2. To know if the expectations are realistic. I work in video production, and I can do a video for $100 or for $1000. But those will be different videos. Knowing the client’s budget helps me know what I can do for them.

3. To know if we are the right fit for the client’s needs. If their budget is way over my pay grade, for example, I know the project is probably outside my scope and they should go with a bigger entity. And vice versa. Expectation management plays a big part, and the value of money is relative. Some people are happy to pay $1000 for a competent product, others will demand the world for it and hassle the seller to no end with revisions because “I paid so much!!!11!!11!”. I want to work with the first one, I want to avoid the second. Knowing the budget lets me know the value of money for the client, and what they think is “too expensive” or “too cheap”.

Think of it like hiring an architecture/engineering firm to design and build a house. Wouldn’t it be normal for them to ask “what’s your budget to build this?” Only with that information can they decide on stuff like what materials to use, how many people to dedicate to the project, etc. Two houses of the same size can cost wildly different amounts depending on the details. And since the engineering firm will know much better than the client what options even exist, it’s just easier for them to follow your budget than to give you 100 different options at 100 different price points.

Or an even more straightforward example - you want to buy a house. You go to a real estate firm. First question they’ll ask is your budget - to know what houses to show you. Because there are houses at every price. They may even let you know your budget is too low for what you’re looking for, or too high (sorry, we don’t have houses that expensive here, you may want to look at “xxyyzz luxury real estate company” instead).

It’s the same concept here.

I take your point, but let’s not pretend that you have such sought after skills that you can name your own price. Fiverr is bursting at the seams with competition as it’s a niche market you’re in. I suspect those people who are lucky enough to work in corporate design are not touting for business on Fiverr and your customers are generally those looking for bargain prices because they can’t afford market prices.

It’s also true to say that if I went to an estate agent I’d be asked my price range and that’s because the properties available have already been priced and I’m simply being asked what I can afford. It’s why the display of properties advertised in the window have price tags.

I come from an era where there wasn’t a gig-economy with everyone trying to grab what they can. We had things called jobs and so this grab what you can culture is alien to me.

Look on me as your Grandfather, who in his retirement with only a reduced and taxed state pension is looking for a blog to keep him occupied and not some corporate business that you’re hoping you can get the maximum amount out of. 🙂

There are so many web developers coming on the forum and asking for suggestions to get their first order. Hey guys, it’s your chance 🙂

Not everyone wants a template html filled with Wix and WordPress spam, plugins, adsense and all the rest of it.

I totally understand. That’s why I got retired from web development myself after more than 10 years working in that area - I just couldn’t accept the new trends, while keeping using my old-fashioned way made me completely non-competitive.

I have a feeling I’m going to eventually have to try to do it myself.

Why not. At least you can get a better understanding of what your freelancer is doing under the hood and ask what exactly they’re about to charge you for.

Sound advice and perhaps part of a necessary learning curve. 🙂

I take your point, but let’s not pretend that you have such sought after skills that you can name your own price. Fiverr is bursting at the seams with competition as it’s a niche market you’re in. I suspect those people who are lucky enough to work in corporate design are not touting for business on Fiverr and your customers are generally those looking for bargain prices because they can’t afford market prices.

It’s also true to say that if I went to an estate agent I’d be asked my price range and that’s because the properties available have already been priced and I’m simply being asked what I can afford. It’s why the display of properties advertised in the window have price tags.

I come from an era where there wasn’t a gig-economy with everyone trying to grab what they can. We had things called jobs and so this grab what you can culture is alien to me.

Look on me as your Grandfather, who in his retirement with only a reduced and taxed state pension is looking for a blog to keep him occupied and not some corporate business that you’re hoping you can get the maximum amount out of. 🙂

I take your point, but let’s not pretend that you have such sought after skills that you can name your own price.

Ahah, you would be surprised. I don’t know what you consider “bargain prices”, but I don’t sell anything under $500 or so. Which, to be fair, is still somewhat under industry rates in my field. And pretty fair when clients can then use my product to bring thousands or more in revenue. Can I name my own price? Yes, I can - within reason. As long as the ROI is positive for the client, I can name whatever price I want.

And it’s not “what I’m hoping to get the maximum amount out of”, it’s about getting paid what my time is worth. I ain’t opening a tab on my browser for $5, my time is more valuable than that. And if I’m doing something that will bring a lot of money to the end client, I want a cut - it’s only fair. After all, this is my job. I’m not here for the entertainment, I’m here to make money.

To each his own.

I take your point, but let’s not pretend that you have such sought after skills that you can name your own price.

Ahah, you would be surprised. I don’t know what you consider “bargain prices”, but I don’t sell anything under $500 or so. Which, to be fair, is still somewhat under industry rates in my field. And pretty fair when clients can then use my product to bring thousands or more in revenue. Can I name my own price? Yes, I can - within reason. As long as the ROI is positive for the client, I can name whatever price I want.

And it’s not “what I’m hoping to get the maximum amount out of”, it’s about getting paid what my time is worth. I ain’t opening a tab on my browser for $5, my time is more valuable than that. And if I’m doing something that will bring a lot of money to the end client, I want a cut - it’s only fair. After all, this is my job. I’m not here for the entertainment, I’m here to make money.

To each his own.

I wish I had a £ for every person I met on the Internet that told me they’re making big money. Your time is only worth what people will pay for it and in a gig-economy where everyone is fighting for whatever they can get, that isn’t a lot. How many of the hundreds here are selling to high end businesses and how many wish they were? I admire your optimism. 🙂

I wish I had a £ for every person I met on the Internet that told me they’re making big money. Your time is only worth what people will pay for it and in a gig-economy where everyone is fighting for whatever they can get, that isn’t a lot. How many of the hundreds here are selling to high end businesses and how many wish they were? I admire your optimism. 🙂

I never said I was making big money. I don’t consider what I make “big money”. I’m making way more than I would at a regular job though, so yes, I consider that a success. Is there competition? Sure. But I don’t consider those charging $10 a video my competition - and my clients don’t consider them either. There’s space for everyone, that’s the beauty of it. And that means 90% of people will make next to nothing. Some will make enough to get by. And a few will make considerable more. That’s just the way it is.

But yes, there are people on Fiverr making “big money”. There are people on the platform who have cleared over 1 million on Fiverr so far (and I’m nowhere near that, btw). Is that “big money” enough for you? Or it’s all a lie?

Asking for your budget might make sense if you’re not completely clear about what you want (by “completely clear”, I mean completely clear to the designer, and “nothing fancy” is way too vague), because once you tell them your budget, they can tell you what they can do for that price, and perhaps show you a few examples.

On the other hand, if you can really tell the designer exactly what you want (perhaps with some examples), then there’s no reason to ask for your budget; they can simply state their price for that.

Also, keep in mind that on Fiverr, when you see examples in the portfolio, you don’t know what was the cost of that specific example. Maybe it was one of the packages, and maybe it was a custom offer with a considerably higher price.

I never said I was making big money. I don’t consider what I make “big money”. I’m making way more than I would at a regular job though, so yes, I consider that a success. Is there competition? Sure. But I don’t consider those charging $10 a video my competition - and my clients don’t consider them either. There’s space for everyone, that’s the beauty of it. And that means 90% of people will make next to nothing. Some will make enough to get by. And a few will make considerable more. That’s just the way it is.

But yes, there are people on Fiverr making “big money”. There are people on the platform who have cleared over 1 million on Fiverr so far (and I’m nowhere near that, btw). Is that “big money” enough for you? Or it’s all a lie?

‘I don’t sell anything under $500 or so’ is big money. Fiverr is a platform for you to fight it out amongst yourselves. You’re American aren’t you? Those who have convinced themselves that there time is so valuable that they can charge market rates will be the ones to go under first. You want to play at laissez-faire capitalism? That’s the way it is in reality. These millionaires on Fiverr, would you like to point them out :rofl:

I’ll pitch in (although I’m in a very different market) I can’t say I earn thousands and thousands of dollars with a single gig - but compared to what I was doing prior to this (nannying in Europe isn’t great, I tell you) I earn much better on a flexible schedule. I do agree that the majority of the people here aren’t doing as well but everyone has the chance (I’m perfectly fine where I’m at right now, although as a Hungarian the bars are pretty low for me…)

Fiverr is becoming a marketplace that’s putting more and more effort into being professional - and that also means an increase in prices. There WILL be people who fail, but people with actual talent will (most likely) do okay. It’s ‘open’ for anyone (which means that I see hundreds of writers daily who I personally would never hire (if I ever needed to). In a way, you get what you pay for. I do realize why Fiverr might seem like a cheap spot to get ‘somewhat okay’ stuff at but there are genuinely talented (insanely so) people on here who are worth every penny they are paid.

‘I don’t sell anything under $500 or so’ is big money. Fiverr is a platform for you to fight it out amongst yourselves. You’re American aren’t you? Those who have convinced themselves that there time is so valuable that they can charge market rates will be the ones to go under first. You want to play at laissez-faire capitalism? That’s the way it is in reality. These millionaires on Fiverr, would you like to point them out :rofl:

I’m not American, no. I’m European.

$500 is not “big money”.

And I’m not fighting anyone. I’m providing a service to clients who decide to pick me and are ok with my prices. And they tend to be happy with the deal. That’s all.

And the millionaires can point themselves out if they want.

Asking for your budget might make sense if you’re not completely clear about what you want (by “completely clear”, I mean completely clear to the designer, and “nothing fancy” is way too vague), because once you tell them your budget, they can tell you what they can do for that price, and perhaps show you a few examples.

On the other hand, if you can really tell the designer exactly what you want (perhaps with some examples), then there’s no reason to ask for your budget; they can simply state their price for that.

Also, keep in mind that on Fiverr, when you see examples in the portfolio, you don’t know what was the cost of that specific example. Maybe it was one of the packages, and maybe it was a custom offer with a considerably higher price.

I asked one designer. Simple landing page, my own design, you do the HTML and CSS. He didn’t even see the basic design and quoted $400, 40% upfront! You are having a laugh.

I asked one designer. Simple landing page, my own design, you do the HTML and CSS. He didn’t even see the basic design and quoted $400, 40% upfront! You are having a laugh.

quoted $400, 40% upfront!

You can’t charge “upfront” on Fiverr. Shady. That’s not how the platform works.

Oh, and a quick google search, btw - How This Freelance Writer is Making $37,000 a Month on Fiverr | by Alice White | The Brave Writer | Medium

Sounds like big enough money to me.

quoted $400, 40% upfront!

You can’t charge “upfront” on Fiverr. Shady. That’s not how the platform works.

Oh, and a quick google search, btw - How This Freelance Writer is Making $37,000 a Month on Fiverr | by Alice White | The Brave Writer | Medium

Sounds like big enough money to me.

Is that like the, ‘I made millions as a travel blog writer’ thing?

I’m not American, no. I’m European.

$500 is not “big money”.

And I’m not fighting anyone. I’m providing a service to clients who decide to pick me and are ok with my prices. And they tend to be happy with the deal. That’s all.

And the millionaires can point themselves out if they want.

‘There are people on the platform who have cleared over 1 million on Fiverr so far (and I’m nowhere near that, btw). Is that “big money” enough for you? Or it’s all a lie?’ Your words, not mine. Yes, it’s probably a lie.

‘There are people on the platform who have cleared over 1 million on Fiverr so far (and I’m nowhere near that, btw). Is that “big money” enough for you? Or it’s all a lie?’ Your words, not mine. Yes, it’s probably a lie.

Well, I guess we’ll never know. Unless I reach that level some day. Then I’ll know. You’ll still won’t know though 😕

I would feel annoyed if I faced this “what’s your budget” question. I recommend instead of saying “…nothing designer fancy …” search and find out some websites which can be followed as an example site, add them to your proposal and ask for the quote (price & time frame). For blogs, simple landing page templates are not so good, WordPress is a good choice for blog. If you don’t comfort finding an example website, you can build your site with a pre-made theme. Simply go to WordPress .com (or ThemeForest or any theme directores) and search for themes, choose one and ask how much they would like to charge to make a blog site with that theme (include how many pages & placeholder posts you needed.).

And welcome to the Fiverr & Fiverr forum, good luck on getting your blog site.

Archived