Learning experience of life

ash_shahin

Ok boomer 🙂

I don’t think that really applies to anyone under 35. 😉

I don’t think they worship cows if that’s what you mean.

They worship lots of animal spirits. Hence why you have spirit houses outside residences that people put fruit on every day. Then you get into black magic Buddhism that is quite terrifying.

If you ever live in Asia, you will quickly realize that there is a pretty huge disconnect between Western and Eastern ieals of Buddhism.

Hence why you have spirit houses outside residences that people put fruit on every day.

That’s a new one for me, I’ve never heard of that. I think they make offerings to Buddha. It’s not to spirits. But I’m not an expert. You also have the influence of other Asian religious practices intermingled. You might be mixing up ancient Japanese practices with it. You are describing Shintoism it sounds like.

Shinto, also known as Shintoism or kami-no-michi, is a religion originating from Japan. Classified as an East Asian religion by scholars of religion, its practitioners often regard it as Japan’s indigenous religion.

Hence why you have spirit houses outside residences that people put fruit on every day.

That’s a new one for me, I’ve never heard of that. I think they make offerings to Buddha. It’s not to spirits. But I’m not an expert. You also have the influence of other Asian religious practices intermingled. You might be mixing up ancient Japanese practices with it. You are describing Shintoism it sounds like.

Shinto, also known as Shintoism or kami-no-michi, is a religion originating from Japan. Classified as an East Asian religion by scholars of religion, its practitioners often regard it as Japan’s indigenous religion.

They make offerings to keep the spirits in good spirits and deter them from causing mischief and illness. They’re also big on sweeping floors to rid a house of bad spirits.

All good advice too. Thailand and Cambodia are plagued by sudden death syndrome and have always culturally connected this to what in the West we now experience as the shadow person or hat man phenomenon. In Thailand they even have a word for the occurrence in the dictionary.

I don’t doubt that there are still a few real Buddhists. However, these days they are few and far between.

As I know, True Buddhisum is not practiced as it’s mixed with hindu gods and beliefs… I am a Buddhist myself but I always follow Theravada – Noble Eightfold Path…

I also leave food for birds & squirrels, if I don’t see my neighbor’s cat or they will be the cat’s breakfast… I just do it for fun… 🙂

As I know, True Buddhisum is not practiced as it’s mixed with hindu gods and beliefs… I am a Buddhist myself but I always follow Theravada – Noble Eightfold Path…

I also leave food for birds & squirrels, if I don’t see my neighbor’s cat or they will be the cat’s breakfast… I just do it for fun… 🙂

@sanda5

As a meditater from the age of 14, self taught by reading a lot about it, I came to certain beliefs totally on my own. It was only recently that I realized those beliefs align with what I know and have read about Buddhism. First reading The Way of Zen was like a revelation to me. From then onward I’ve read and studied the Buddhist philosophy quite a bit. But I came to it on my own. No one even told me about it.

The Dali Lama’s energy is profound and beautiful. Being in his presence is … well … sublime is a good word for it.

I had the great good fortune to attend one of his teachings at the SECC in Glasgow several years ago … you’ve never seen so many happy people in all your life. Even the traffic during the rush hour on the way home was polite and courteous … his energy stretched for miles.

He truly is the precious jewel. And the invasion, sorry - re-acquisition - of Tibet turned out to be a blessing to the rest of the world.

The Dali Lama’s energy is profound and beautiful. Being in his presence is … well … sublime is a good word for it.

I had the great good fortune to attend one of his teachings at the SECC in Glasgow several years ago … you’ve never seen so many happy people in all your life. Even the traffic during the rush hour on the way home was polite and courteous … his energy stretched for miles.

He truly is the precious jewel. And the invasion, sorry - re-acquisition - of Tibet turned out to be a blessing to the rest of the world.

re-acquisition - of Tibet turned out to be a blessing to the rest of the world.

That’s putting a positive spin on it I suppose. I get a warm fuzzy happy feeling when I see him speaking. He radiates something I’ve never felt before, speaking as an empath. Real joy seems to go where he goes. He gives people a buzz. Even my mother felt it just watching him briefly on TV and she’s not even aware Buddhism exists but she remarked on it, a rarity for her.

Yes … if you ever have the opportunity to experience his energy in person, take it. When he speaks, it’s like he’s talking to you personally. Franky, it’s the oddest thing - he’s looking at you all the time …

Yes that can also be felt among a few other rare individuals, the idea they are speaking and looking right at you in a large auditorium. I know what you mean. Probably one effect of enlightenment. I did try to see him when he was speaking nearby but of course it was sold out.

Krishnamurti comes to mind and even looking at his picture (he’s now deceased) had a very strange effect on me even before I thought of him as interesting. My friend kept telling me things about him and I dismissed it. Then saw his picture and… well I won’t go into it. Then recently watched him speaking on youtube and again something very strange happened to me.

I didn’t even know he was there until a day or two before and managed to get a ticket for the one day … clearly I was meant to be there …

One of the best days of my life.

One of the best days of my life.

I can believe it was! Some of his spiritual essence has to rub off on people. It’s pretty overwhelming.

Actually, it wasn’t overwhelming at all … and it took several days to dissipate. It was loved, safe, loving … like being in the arms of a mother who loves you, I imagine …

He projects something you feel. Everyone feels it I think if they are honest. It’s strange and wonderful.

The Dali Lama’s energy is profound and beautiful.

Again though, I have to ask what practical effect this man has on the world? Everybody says this but when people do, they are usually guppy crowds at private lectures, appearances, and book sales. (No offence.) There are thousands of Instagramers out there who could achieve spiritual enlightenment by seeing a Kardashian in the wild.

What does the Dali Lama actually do apart from being Instagramable?

It’s not often you are in a room with someone and get the best high of your life just from being around them. So that’s something. But it’s also hope, joy, knowing there is something much more wonderful than this prison we call life. Your inner being wakes up and sings with bliss.
Suddenly the sun comes out after a lifetime of grey clouds.

Hahaha - yes, that’s pretty much how I feel about a lot of things, @cyaxrex. I have the reputation among the people who know me in real life of being pretty cynical

But, y’know - you’re someone who drinks his own urine …

I’m really not cynical. I am logical. I just want to know what the Dali Lama has ever done for Tibet.

But, y’know - you’re someone who drinks his own urine …

Which is standard practice if you want to go to the roots of Buddhism and Hinduism. 🙂

If you go by the orthodoxy of those teachings, I’m one step away from living off Prana (Light), at least, in theory. Before I do that, though, I just want to make sure I’m not putting in an obscene amount of physical energy into a life that’s really just a big book promotion.

Do you know or care what is happening to people in places like Tibet or Kashmir right now? I do, and I can’t remember the last time I heard a peep out of the Dali Lama. That’s all I’m saying. :thinking:

The Dali Lama bears the sorrow of an entire nation … and yet, speaks to the soul of all who encounter him. It’s not logic, it’s … something else entirely.

You write about him beautifully. He’s a light in the darkness. :sun_behind_small_cloud:

This is just one of many lifetimes. How many countless lifetimes of sorrow death and pain we have. This is but one. He holds out the hope of some day escaping this cycle. With him, you start to get a glimpse of that.

“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” --Eleanor Roosevelt

“I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.” --Thomas Jefferson

“I find that when you have a real interest in life and a curious life, that sleep is not the most important thing.” --Martha Stewart

“The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself.” --Mark Caine

“If you genuinely want something, don’t wait for it–teach yourself to be impatient.” --Gurbaksh Chahal

“Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do. Don’t wish it were easier; wish you were better.” --Jim Rohn

Archived