Any Expats Out There

silberma1976

There is a writer who is fairly well known and successful who has some blogs about traveling around S. America and working for fiverr. He is a Pro seller. I’m sure there are a lot. I think there are some who live in RV’s or vans who also sell on fiverr. It works out well for writers in particular.

I’ve always been an expat. I also know quite a few expats who freelance. To be honest, I don’t understand why people who do freelance don’t all migrate to warm, low-tax, low cost of living places. However, at some point I guess that could go horribly wrong and constitute an invasion of Ecuador.

There is a writer who is fairly well known and successful who has some blogs about traveling around S. America and working for fiverr. He is a Pro seller. I’m sure there are a lot. I think there are some who live in RV’s or vans who also sell on fiverr. It works out well for writers in particular.

In the US, for me, health care is the biggest factor. I know if you move to say Canada, you have to wait three months before you can be a part of the health care system, and on top of what they cover there are additional needs for private insurance.

I’ve always been an expat. I also know quite a few expats who freelance. To be honest, I don’t understand why people who do freelance don’t all migrate to warm, low-tax, low cost of living places. However, at some point I guess that could go horribly wrong and constitute an invasion of Ecuador.

It makes sense in theory. But as a freelancer you have to cover all your expenses, including taxes and retirement funding. SO how does that balance out in other countries? Can you make a livable wage through freelancing alone that lets you save for retirement and cover those expenses a full time employer might otherwise cover.

In the US, for me, health care is the biggest factor. I know if you move to say Canada, you have to wait three months before you can be a part of the health care system, and on top of what they cover there are additional needs for private insurance.

health care is the biggest factor.

I live in US and dont have health care. You’re lucky if you have it. I live in an area without it.

Most of S. America only speaks Spanish.

I want to live in Costa Rica. Or Belize.

It makes sense in theory. But as a freelancer you have to cover all your expenses, including taxes and retirement funding. SO how does that balance out in other countries? Can you make a livable wage through freelancing alone that lets you save for retirement and cover those expenses a full time employer might otherwise cover.

Can you make a livable wage through freelancing alone that lets you save for retirement and cover those expenses a full time employer might otherwise cover.

It depends where you are planning to relocate and how you see the future financially.

If I stay in Malta, I’ll get a state pension that providing I buy property by the time I retire (and pay off the mortgage) will be comfortable enough to live off. Of course, I would be saving in the meantime.

Social security in most EU countries also covers free healthcare.

What you really need to is look at what you are really paying for now and if you are realistically going to get any return.

Personal savings are great. However, in the case of the USD, inflation means that the real value of your savings is constantly going down. If you had $100 in 1970, you’d need around $700 today to have the same buying power. By comparison, if you had bought $100 in gold in 1970, you’d have the same, if not more buying power today.

The solution to inflation in the U.S. is to put money into your 401K. However, these typically generate returns of just 5% to 8% per year. A 401K is also just a company investment program and real returns can be obliterated by market crashes. 2008 saw average people with $200K or more in a 401K lose 25% of their savings. Before that, the dot com bubble saw 70% of 401k’s lose a fifth of their value.

This is important as market crashes happen on average every 10-years. (Now we are overdue for the next one.)

While in the U.S. putting money into a 401K with your employer is the standard thing to do in anticipation of retirement, I’d say that realistically, anyone aged 20 - 40 will see minimal benefits long-term. Inflation and 10-yearly losses will likely see a lot of people realize that they could have saved smarter by saving and investing their money themselves.

It is different for everyone. However, I prefer to live in places with a lower cost of living so that I have more money to save and do with as I please. The only problem is that the cost of living in cheap places can creep up. When I moved to Malta, you could rent an apartment for 200 Euros, now rates are comparable to the UK where I came from.

In my ideal world, I’ll buy a property outright in a cheap country with the potential for major equity gains if my crypto investments ever mature. Top places to do that are countries in Eastern Europe where Western European retired expats are starting to migrate to in order to make their pensions go further.

Then I’ll save more by living rent-free or rent property out while I do some digital nomading.

Of course, we are in entirely different situations. However, if I was a freelancer in the U.S. with nothing tying me down, I’d escape just to get rid of crazy healthcare costs. At the same time, though, American (non-20-something) expats can be a funny sort. Of the ones I’ve met, there is a propensity among many to take a "there’s no place like Kansas" attitude to living abroad.

Where I live, the busses never run on time, there is no such thing as Uber, and we don’t even have a pizza place that delivers. Most of the European expats here see that as an inconvenience for about a week and then just enjoy the quieter pace of life. By comparison, I don’t think I know any Americans who have lasted more than a year before all the primitiveness of the place gets too much. In this case, you have to be prepared for a culture shock.

Andy, have you been to Ecuador? Would you recommend? I’ve been in Thailand, and some of its neighbors, for the past couple years, but would be nice to know your opinion about Ecuador as it seems quite a few places are “The new Chiang Mai”

Andy, have you been to Ecuador?

I’m afraid not. I just know of Ecuador because I like to keep tabs on all the freelancer friendly world destinations. Ecuador is great because you can get a 1-year visa. However, cryptocurrency is illegal in Ecuador. In this case. it’s off my radar for the time being.

I did live in Thailand for most of 2008. I was mainly based in Kanchanaburi. It was actually my goal after I left to find a way to make money online and do the Southeast Asia digital nomad thing. However, now I think the cost of living has gone way up?

I’m gonna read up on Ecuador, and yeah a 1 year visa sounds good enough to give it a go. Plus I was told Ecuador is a good place to learn Spanish as it seems they have a very neutral accent.

I cannot comment on whether or not the prices have gone up in Thaialand, but I think so based on people I met there who were doing the Thai experience for longer, but, other than Chiang Mai, I mainly stay in westernized islands so I’m sure you can find attractive prices still if you go a bit further.

I was told Ecuador is a good place to learn Spanish as it seems they have a very neutral accent.

If only I could pick up languages. I would be down there so fast… Argentina, The Pampas. I know a little French so that’s another of my dream places. France.

I’m gonna read up on Ecuador, and yeah a 1 year visa sounds good enough to give it a go. Plus I was told Ecuador is a good place to learn Spanish as it seems they have a very neutral accent.

I cannot comment on whether or not the prices have gone up in Thaialand, but I think so based on people I met there who were doing the Thai experience for longer, but, other than Chiang Mai, I mainly stay in westernized islands so I’m sure you can find attractive prices still if you go a bit further.

I was told Ecuador is a good place to learn Spanish

I’m thinking more and more about relocating to Madeira in Portugal. Apparently, if you can speak Portuguese, you can understand Spanish. (But apparently not the other way round). In this case, it would be like killing two birds with one stone.

Sadly, all I’ve ever learned in Maltese is how to swear and tell people to shut up and listen to me. However, that’s because that’s kind of how you start a conversation in Maltese, befoe ending with "Ah… Madonna."

Come to think of it. I might be proficient.

I’ve been to Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Peru and Bolivia…

I have heard that Argentina is pretty much visa-free too. It’s not officially. However, there is no law on the books against illegal immigration. In this case. pretty much anyone can get residency.

o be honest, I don’t understand why people who do freelance don’t all migrate to warm, low-tax, low cost of living places.

I was an expat for a year, it was pretty great, but … family, friends.

Family is why I stay in Montana year-round. Otherwise, a warmer state would make me very happy.

o be honest, I don’t understand why people who do freelance don’t all migrate to warm, low-tax, low cost of living places.

I was an expat for a year, it was pretty great, but … family, friends.

Family is why I stay in Montana year-round. Otherwise, a warmer state would make me very happy.

I like the political climate of Montana.

I was told Ecuador is a good place to learn Spanish

I’m thinking more and more about relocating to Madeira in Portugal. Apparently, if you can speak Portuguese, you can understand Spanish. (But apparently not the other way round). In this case, it would be like killing two birds with one stone.

Sadly, all I’ve ever learned in Maltese is how to swear and tell people to shut up and listen to me. However, that’s because that’s kind of how you start a conversation in Maltese, befoe ending with "Ah… Madonna."

Come to think of it. I might be proficient.

I’ve been to Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Peru and Bolivia…

I have heard that Argentina is pretty much visa-free too. It’s not officially. However, there is no law on the books against illegal immigration. In this case. pretty much anyone can get residency.

Madeira is one of the most wonderful places I’ve been to, it’s perfect if you like hiking, Portuguese is my favourite language actually, I don’t find it too hard to learn either, and I loved the food there. However, I think you mentioned how small Malta is as one of the downsides, so keep in mind that Madeira isn’t that big either, you’ll know Funchal inside out after a few walks with Chico.

Madeira is one of the most wonderful places I’ve been to, it’s perfect if you like hiking, Portuguese is my favourite language actually, I don’t find it too hard to learn either, and I loved the food there. However, I think you mentioned how small Malta is as one of the downsides, so keep in mind that Madeira isn’t that big either, you’ll know Funchal inside out after a few walks with Chico.

After seeing those pictures of the beaches in Portugal that’s good enough for me! :beach_umbrella:

think you mentioned how small Malta is as one of the downsides

It is, but I like small islands. At least with Madeira, I’d have the rest of Portugal to explore if I wanted to with no time limits.

Then it’s great. Me too, I love traveling to islands exactly because I can get to see pretty much all of them if I stay a while. It’s a bit different when you plan to live there for years at end, of course, I’ve been to islands I wouldn’t want to live for being too small, but Madeira would be just fine.
And sure, Portugal is bigger and awesome too, though not really that close to Madeira.

Then it’s great. Me too, I love traveling to islands exactly because I can get to see pretty much all of them if I stay a while. It’s a bit different when you plan to live there for years at end, of course, I’ve been to islands I wouldn’t want to live for being too small, but Madeira would be just fine.

And sure, Portugal is bigger and awesome too, though not really that close to Madeira.

Portugal is bigger and awesome too, though not really that close to Madeira.

That’s a selling point for me. On Malta, they are planning to build a bridge or a tunnel connecting my island (Gozo) to the mainland. That will be what ruins the place finally, as there will be non-stop traffic. The more remote and inaccessible a place is, the longer it retains its charm.

All I need is a quiet place, scenery, and a dog-friendly coastal walk.

All that bothers me is how my workflow might be interrupted by changing location. i.e. Will less people order from an English writer not based in an English speaking country? On occasion when I have used buyer requests and bidding sites like PPH, I have got a lot of instant rejections because I’m clearly not a "native English speaker."

That’s actually why I moved from PPH to Fiverr.

Portugal is bigger and awesome too, though not really that close to Madeira.

That’s a selling point for me. On Malta, they are planning to build a bridge or a tunnel connecting my island (Gozo) to the mainland. That will be what ruins the place finally, as there will be non-stop traffic. The more remote and inaccessible a place is, the longer it retains its charm.

All that bothers me is how my workflow might be interrupted by changing location. i.e. Will less people order from an English writer not based in an English speaking country? On occasion when I have used buyer requests and bidding sites like PPH, I have got a lot of instant rejections because I’m clearly not a "native English speaker."

That’s actually why I moved from PPH to Fiverr.

You would like Key West Florida I think. It’s one of my favorite places. Friendly very low key, lots of happy nice people. Dog beaches etc. Beautiful.

Archived