Asking for Reviews - This is what CS said

vickiespencer

To put the issue of asking/hinting for reviews to rest. :sleeping_bed: I wrote to CS to ask if we are allowed to ask for nonspecific reviews. I told them that it was a source of controversy on the Forum and that we would appreciate knowing the truth of the matter and that I planned to post the answer here.

Here is the email I received.

image.png.937352c69608f6eed1c7ae4e01aa14e6.png

This link is to the article on feedback that Amy mentions.
https://sellers.fiverr.com/en/article/feedback

Note Amy said it should be of the buyer’s *free will *.

So, I would say this shows why buyers who do not like being asked or reminded for a third time to leave feedback report sellers to CS who do so.

This will be a good post to refer to when anyone asks if they can ask for or hint for reviews.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vickie, I’m afraid people will continue to not listen at all - even reading CS’s response to you.

They always know better, and think they’ll never be caught by the system, or a buyer… Until they see by themselves the wolf’s teeth, they’ll keep asking for “review”, “feedback” or whatever other word they decide to use to play with fire…

Vickie, I’m afraid people will continue to not listen at all - even reading CS’s response to you.

They always know better, and think they’ll never be caught by the system, or a buyer… Until they see by themselves the wolf’s teeth, they’ll keep asking for “review”, “feedback” or whatever other word they decide to use to play with fire…

They always know better, and think they’ll never be caught by the system or a buyer…

That is really what it is all about. Getting caught. 😉

Not exactly on topic but very related … people who haven’t (ever) ordered anything (in a while) might find it interesting to know that once you left your review of a delivery, you get a screen that says “Thanks for your Review! It’s customary to leave a tip for the seller’s service.” as a header above the preset and custom options for a tip, so I’d also recommend to not ask for a tip either, in case anyone who reads this even needs a recommendation like that. 😉

The buttons to click on that screen are “No, thanks” (so I’m not sure why the buyer who recently posted and seemed to think tipping is mandatory would think that) and “Tip now” in case anyone was curious.

Not exactly on topic but very related … people who haven’t (ever) ordered anything (in a while) might find it interesting to know that once you left your review of a delivery, you get a screen that says “Thanks for your Review! It’s customary to leave a tip for the seller’s service.” as a header above the preset and custom options for a tip, so I’d also recommend to not ask for a tip either, in case anyone who reads this even needs a recommendation like that. 😉

The buttons to click on that screen are “No, thanks” (so I’m not sure why the buyer who recently posted and seemed to think tipping is mandatory would think that) and “Tip now” in case anyone was curious.

“Thanks for your Review! It’s customary to leave a tip for the seller’s service.” as a header above the preset and custom options for a tip, so I’d also recommend to not ask for a tip either, in case anyone who reads this even needs a recommendation like that. 😉

That is right. It happen during my last order. I never ask for tips, but you have pointed out a good reason not to ask for tips in addition to not asking for reviews. 😉

I think it used to say something like “Later” instead of “No thanks” for the tip thing.

eg. “It’s customary to leave a tip. [gives the options for how much][Later]” (no “No thanks”). Or at least whatever options it had there was no “no thanks” option I think, so you would have just had to not click any option if you didn’t want to tip.

edit: at the end of this video in this link:

https://buyers.fiverr.com/en/article/accepting-deliveries

“show you appreciation to the seller by leaving a tip” (this was before the “customary” thing)

and it said “$5 / $10 / custom” and "tip now " or “later” with no “no thanks” button.

It depends who you ask in CS.

I have a message from them saying it’s fine to ask as long as you don’t ask for a positive one.

It’s been circulated on here before, but Fiverr also have a video showing you that it’s ok to ask for a review.

I have a message from them saying it’s fine to ask as long as you don’t ask for a positive one.

How old is that letter?

I just asked the CS Rep whom answered my enquirey to please clarify her answer one way or another.

I think they’ll always be quite wooly. They need us to get reviews - they don’t care what those reviews are.

I don’t see anything wrong with a seller asking for a review - as long as they don’t try and influence it. You shouldn’t ban something because some people may abuse it - you need to punish those who do.

In my opinion.

To put the issue of asking/hinting for reviews to rest. :sleeping_bed: I wrote to CS to ask if we are allowed to ask for nonspecific reviews. I told them that it was a source of controversy on the Forum and that we would appreciate knowing the truth of the matter and that I planned to post the answer here.

Here is the email I received.

This link is to the article on feedback that Amy mentions.

https://sellers.fiverr.com/en/article/feedback

Note Amy said it should be of the buyer’s *free will *.

So, I would say this shows why buyers who do not like being asked or reminded for a third time to leave feedback report sellers to CS who do so.

This will be a good post to refer to when anyone asks if they can ask for or hint for reviews.

I would say this shows why buyers who do not like being asked or reminded for a third time to leave feedback report sellers to CS who do so.

I think it would be better if Fiverr just stopped giving buyers reminders to review orders and relaxed a lot of messaging restrictions.

It is completely normal to invite feedback and even send unsolicited messages to past clients notifying them of service changes, etc off Fiverr. For this reason, I’d say it’s counterproductive for Fiverr to impose as many restrictions as they do.

Of course, you will always get sellers (and buyers) who attempt to abuse the system. However, in fairness, if anyone buys from someone, they should have sense enough to report a seller who tries to manipulate the system. Some won’t, but… Well, they’re called Darwin Awards for a reason.

I really miss inviting buyers to leave a review (whatever their experience) before suggesting that if they are happy with their order, they are welcome to share my gig on their social media channels. I’d also like to stop dropping long-term buyers every time I increase my prices, by letting them know about upcoming changes and exclusive (to them) special offers.

Right at this moment, I’d also like to let some buyers know that it would be really helpful if they could leave a review. (None of my regulars bar one currently do.)

In short, I’d just like to be trusted to take care of after sales care and discussion the way I want to. Instead, my buyers get a shed load of spam from Fiverr asking for tips, reviews, and even messages saying, “hey, you’ve been searching for article writers, check these other sellers out,”

It’s all very annoying.

I would say this shows why buyers who do not like being asked or reminded for a third time to leave feedback report sellers to CS who do so.

I think it would be better if Fiverr just stopped giving buyers reminders to review orders and relaxed a lot of messaging restrictions.

It is completely normal to invite feedback and even send unsolicited messages to past clients notifying them of service changes, etc off Fiverr. For this reason, I’d say it’s counterproductive for Fiverr to impose as many restrictions as they do.

Of course, you will always get sellers (and buyers) who attempt to abuse the system. However, in fairness, if anyone buys from someone, they should have sense enough to report a seller who tries to manipulate the system. Some won’t, but… Well, they’re called Darwin Awards for a reason.

I really miss inviting buyers to leave a review (whatever their experience) before suggesting that if they are happy with their order, they are welcome to share my gig on their social media channels. I’d also like to stop dropping long-term buyers every time I increase my prices, by letting them know about upcoming changes and exclusive (to them) special offers.

Right at this moment, I’d also like to let some buyers know that it would be really helpful if they could leave a review. (None of my regulars bar one currently do.)

In short, I’d just like to be trusted to take care of after sales care and discussion the way I want to. Instead, my buyers get a shed load of spam from Fiverr asking for tips, reviews, and even messages saying, “hey, you’ve been searching for article writers, check these other sellers out,”

It’s all very annoying.

In short, I’d just like to be trusted to take care of after sales care and discussion the way I want to.

Unfortunately we are at the mercy of the lowest common denominator. Some sellers abuse the system and annoy buyers, so we all pay the price.

I think it used to say something like “Later” instead of “No thanks” for the tip thing.

eg. “It’s customary to leave a tip. [gives the options for how much][Later]” (no “No thanks”). Or at least whatever options it had there was no “no thanks” option I think, so you would have just had to not click any option if you didn’t want to tip.

edit: at the end of this video in this link:

https://buyers.fiverr.com/en/article/accepting-deliveries

“show you appreciation to the seller by leaving a tip” (this was before the “customary” thing)

and it said “$5 / $10 / custom” and "tip now " or “later” with no “no thanks” button.

This is from today.

tip.png.b3b2cdb129194f80df571f2d0eb754ed.png

I did tip, by the way, very happy with my purchase.

This is from today.

I did tip, by the way, very happy with my purchase.

It is not customary to leave a tip! This is exactly what is wrong with Fiverr ousting sellers from their own right to take care of after sales care. I used to make 10% to 20% of my monthly earnings in tips. Now I make zlich. Why? Because where I would always make sure a buyer was happy, Fiverr now says, "hand over a tip or I shoot the puppy."

I just hope my buyers know I’m not part of that process.

Well, I guess it’s customary for me as a buyer, actually, so, yeah, kind of, but it’s not customary to get them as a seller; I do get tips but not all the time, perhaps because I have many regular buyers/company buyers, and I agree with Stu that it feels kind of weird.
It’s nice, though, and tipping is getting increasingly common around here, or so it seems, including tipping business owners, while it used to be only tipping staff, so I’m relaxed about it. If someone liked my work or service well enough that they want to show a little extra appreciation and I won’t have a bad conscience about visiting the new small (and not chain!) coffee shop I found, great.
However, I don’t really like the “customary” approach either. On the other hand, it’s quick and easy to click the “No thanks” button, so I’m not sure if really many people who didn’t want to tip will be swayed by the “customary”.

Not sure how new, MissCrystal, it’s been a while since my last order before this one.

Well, I guess it’s customary for me as a buyer, actually, so, yeah, kind of, but it’s not customary to get them as a seller; I do get tips but not all the time, perhaps because I have many regular buyers/company buyers, and I agree with Stu that it feels kind of weird.

It’s nice, though, and tipping is getting increasingly common around here, or so it seems, including tipping business owners, while it used to be only tipping staff, so I’m relaxed about it. If someone liked my work or service well enough that they want to show a little extra appreciation and I won’t have a bad conscience about visiting the new small (and not chain!) coffee shop I found, great.

However, I don’t really like the “customary” approach either. On the other hand, it’s quick and easy to click the “No thanks” button, so I’m not sure if really many people who didn’t want to tip will be swayed by the “customary”.

Not sure how new, MissCrystal, it’s been a while since my last order before this one.

It looks like they only get that message if they leave a review. While it’s not customary to leave a tip for a self employed business owner, I can’t complain, considering the level of support I give to my clients. The ones who tip me are genuinely appreciative, and are not tipping me grudgingly. So in most cases I feel if someone gives a tip it is probably deserved.

It’s all very annoying.

I would love to see something like Level 2 being revamped or a Level 3 introduced which gave some greater autonomy to sellers to be in contact with their clients. The level would need more reviews/orders to be completed and perhaps a short test with questions like

• how often should you message an existing client?
  • If a buyer doesn’t want to buy anything from you for the moment, do you think it is appropriate to beg for orders because you need to feed your family?

and similar to weed out those who would abuse the privilege.

It would give the level real meaning for a change. Of course TRS and Pro sellers would have the option too.

I disagree with the comments about that message that says it’s customary to tip.

I have felt in the past that fiverr does a few things to actively discourage sales, such as the time they tried eliminating our display of how many reviews we have, or putting the gigs of other sellers right on our own gig pages.

So this is one time when fiverr is out there trying to get us tips aggressively. It’s finally a show of attempting to help sellers. And for that I cannot have any complaints.

We sellers need to take what help fiverr extends to us rather than complain. Buyers know they can click on the “no thanks” button.

Fiverr has noticed that tipping has gone way down since they started adding an extra service fee to everything and they are trying this to counteract that trend.

I hadn’t gotten tips in a very long time, when I used to get them all the time. This week I got several large tips and they were not from people feeling obligated to tip. It’s true that it used to be customary to tip on fiverr, so maybe now it will be again.

horse.jpg.6f0694f2f45810f9414d83c5037a376c.jpg

I disagree with the comments about that message that says it’s customary to tip.

I have felt in the past that fiverr does a few things to actively discourage sales, such as the time they tried eliminating our display of how many reviews we have, or putting the gigs of other sellers right on our own gig pages.

So this is one time when fiverr is out there trying to get us tips aggressively. It’s finally a show of attempting to help sellers. And for that I cannot have any complaints.

We sellers need to take what help fiverr extends to us rather than complain. Buyers know they can click on the “no thanks” button.

Fiverr has noticed that tipping has gone way down since they started adding an extra service fee to everything and they are trying this to counteract that trend.

I hadn’t gotten tips in a very long time, when I used to get them all the time. This week I got several large tips and they were not from people feeling obligated to tip. It’s true that it used to be customary to tip on fiverr, so maybe now it will be again.

Though there didn’t always used to be the “no thanks” option, even with the “it’s customary” message. If the “no thanks” option stays that’s okay but it’s still misleading to say “it’s customary” when it’s not (if the majority of orders don’t receive tips you can’t honestly say to customers that it’s customary I think. If it’s not what’s usually done with orders as far as I know). Also saying “it’s customary to leave a tip” where buyers feel they have to really might decrease the amount of orders buyers make after first receiving that message, since they might feel the price shown isn’t the price you are supposed to pay (even including the service charge).

It should be totally up to the buyer whether to tip and they shouldn’t be pressured into it by saying “it’s customary to tip”. Though it’s better now there’s a “no thanks” option for them.

Also if it’s not customary to tip (not what is usually done on orders) Fiverr saying that it is is misleading buyers really which isn’t good, especially for financial stuff. Assuming customary=what is usually done not just what is done a low percentage of the time.

Archived