Is there any ways to understand fake/spam clients?

ash_shahin

I’m sure the buyer/CS could have been told that 100% better is not the same as 100% different (that you made it 100% better not 100% different). I assume that’s making it twice as good. And that if every word was 100% different is most likely wouldn’t/couldn’t be 100% better (since it would read badly if words like a/the etc. were changed).

I’m sure the buyer/CS could have been told that 100% better is not the same as 100% different

Nope, the buyer asked to cancel and CS canceled and refunded that buyer his full amount.

I think by healthy communication with customers can help us to decide which one is the best customer and it will help us to filter out spammers.

One client is asking for a deep website and offering $10000+ ?? I guess it’s a fishy offer…

You can avoid all that hassle. Just avoid:

• Anyone who starts a message with “Dear”
  • Buyers who say they have a very interesting proposition for you
  • Any buyer who wants you to create them a sample or complete a free test project
  • All buyers who say “If this works out, I’ll have lots more work for you!”
  • Anyone who after 2 x messages still can’t say what they want
  • All buyers who try to get you to commit to anything like a 100% satisfaction guarantee

Filter out those messages and you filter out over 90% of scammers in the process.

To add to this, I had many messages with “Give me your best offer”. None of them ordered…

Then he canceled the order because 15% of the words were the same as before I did the rewrite. 😳

I wonder how he got that percentage lol

He said he wanted the words to be 100% different.

Something very fishy was happening here.

I have learned to stay away from any client that talks in percentages. 😦

I had a buyer who asked me to rewrite a document and make it 100% better. I said I would. 🙂

Then he canceled the order because 15% of the words were the same as before I did the rewrite. 😳

He said he wanted the words to be 100% different. I pointed out that it would be impossible to use 100% different words as there are many words such as “and, the, & a” and so on that had to be used repeatedly. 🤨

His answer was, 100% is 100% and CS sided with the client. 😩

I felt very cheated as it was a significant order that took me much time to complete. 😡

I had a buyer who asked me to rewrite a document and make it 100% better. I said I would.

Hi Miss Vickie. Sorry that happened to you. You have to be really careful what you say you can or will do because it is taken very literally.

:

Anyone who immediately mentions the budget (that sounds too good to be true).

“We need you to do something that takes you an hour to complete and, by the way, our budget is $500”.

PS Sorry, wrong reply button. I’ve meant to respond to the entire topic. These different reply buttons confuse me a lot.

“We need you to do something that takes you an hour to complete and, by the way, our budget is $500”.

Say to them “I don’t trust like that”.

Say to them “I don’t trust like that”.

I got a buyer last week who wanted to pay me $100 for something that I could do in 15 minutes. I told him he was overpaying and it was a bit suspicious. He told me he was at a conference, forgot to make the title card for his entire presentation only had a few hours left to get it done and now was desperate.

I believed him because I’ve been in similar situations myself and he seemed sincere. Couldn’t bring myself to charge him $100, though. We got it done for a lower price and so far no issues so I think sometimes there can be a good reason for an inflated budget. Not when they immediately throw it at you, though. It’s a bait. A shiny delicious bait.

I got a buyer last week who wanted to pay me $100 for something that I could do in 15 minutes. I told him he was overpaying and it was a bit suspicious. He told me he was at a conference, forgot to make the title card for his entire presentation only had a few hours left to get it done and now was desperate.

I believed him because I’ve been in similar situations myself and he seemed sincere. Couldn’t bring myself to charge him $100, though. We got it done for a lower price and so far no issues so I think sometimes there can be a good reason for an inflated budget. Not when they immediately throw it at you, though. It’s a bait. A shiny delicious bait.

A positive experience with professional client.

Suggest they want value, not cheapness. And bear in mind they are probably … exaggerating the “20 other sellers”.

Personally, I’d be inclined to suggest that buyer choose one of their “20 other sellers” - sounds like they’d be hard to please anyway …

• 1 month later...

I also see other posts talking about fake and spam clients. I think it happens because some popular YouTuber or social media influencer made a video about “How to make money” or something like that and they mention fiverr. Now all of the audience are signing in and start ordering without knowing how thing works here and end up canceling because they were asking too much.

Yeah, it’s that George Mason guy. Ironically, I found his video while looking for a Fiverr buyer tutorial. Wut?!

• Any buyer who wants you to create them a sample or complete a free test project
  • All buyers who try to get you to commit to anything like a 100% satisfaction guarantee

Filter out those messages and you filter out over 90% of scammers in the process.

Really good points, an eye opener actually. I’ll have to look out for these people. Thanks a lot!

• 8 months later...

I actually had someone message me and ask me to make an account for the using my own personal information, phishing is a real thing and a lot of people fall victim to these scammers. Awesome post to help people be aware!

• 1 month later...

real great info, damn I’ve been scammed for delivering free test project, luckily I put watermark in it.

Archived