Account demoted - but why?

thomaslener

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel for all the sellers who got banned for doing less than I did.

I’m not dependend on Fiverr, and I am by no way grateful they did not ban me, why should I, I did nothing wrong. And I do not like the attitude like Fiverr was some higher instance who is right no matter what they do.

For the most part, we all do. However, you really need to start taking accountability for your own actions. - This and possibly start reconsidering your entire freelance strategy.

I didn’t read the Fiverr TOS fully until a year after signing up. However, I never needed anyone to tell me that off-site communication was a no go.

Here on Fiverr or anywhere, a huge red flag for freelancers is clients who need to reach out and chat off-site. Usually, for what is the price of a Happy Meal. If you offer services priced at $100 (or more), there is a case to be made that more direct communication is sometimes necessary.

Sadly, when buyers (anywhere) ask freelancers for phone chats, s***e calls, and direct emails for communication concerning low-value orders, 99% of the time they are scammers.

Likely they want to phish for personal information they can use against you (your PayPal account details). Either this or they need to make sure that they can rope you into contributing a massive amount of effort to a project which really doesn’t deserve it. (And/or which probably doesn’t have any real kind of direction anyway.)

Sadly, freelancers like yourself seem to have an 'anything and everything to please the customer’ SOP.

Your order was closed with your client. You should have informed them that this was the case and moved on. Instead, you have given a complete stranger on the Internet your PayPal and personal communication details, all for the sake of what is likely less than $50. - Which you actually gave them for the trouble.

Tell me. Since your client has since been refunded also by Fiverr, have they reached out to you to return the funds you sent via PayPal? My guess will be that they haven’t.

There is a difference between good customer service and lacking common sense. This situation and the previously mentioned situation concerning the girl who refunded a client $5 via PayPal falls into the latter category.

What you need to take from this is the realization that you need to have more self-respect and learn to differentiate between being a freelancer and (potentially) putting yourself at risk by being a pushover.

This is not a Fiverr is evil debate. The issue here is that you have gone out of your way to put yourself in jeopardy personally as well as professionally. Learn from this, be more vigilant when dealing with clients anywhere in future, and move on.

For the most part, we all do. However, you really need to start taking accountability for your own actions. - This and possibly start reconsidering your entire freelance strategy.

I didn’t read the Fiverr TOS fully until a year after signing up. However, I never needed anyone to tell me that off-site communication was a no go.

Here on Fiverr or anywhere, a huge red flag for freelancers is clients who need to reach out and chat off-site. Usually, for what is the price of a Happy Meal. If you offer services priced at $100 (or more), there is a case to be made that more direct communication is sometimes necessary.

Sadly, when buyers (anywhere) ask freelancers for phone chats, s***e calls, and direct emails for communication concerning low-value orders, 99% of the time they are scammers.

Likely they want to phish for personal information they can use against you (your PayPal account details). Either this or they need to make sure that they can rope you into contributing a massive amount of effort to a project which really doesn’t deserve it. (And/or which probably doesn’t have any real kind of direction anyway.)

Sadly, freelancers like yourself seem to have an 'anything and everything to please the customer’ SOP.

Your order was closed with your client. You should have informed them that this was the case and moved on. Instead, you have given a complete stranger on the Internet your PayPal and personal communication details, all for the sake of what is likely less than $50. - Which you actually gave them for the trouble.

Tell me. Since your client has since been refunded also by Fiverr, have they reached out to you to return the funds you sent via PayPal? My guess will be that they haven’t.

There is a difference between good customer service and lacking common sense. This situation and the previously mentioned situation concerning the girl who refunded a client $5 via PayPal falls into the latter category.

What you need to take from this is the realization that you need to have more self-respect and learn to differentiate between being a freelancer and (potentially) putting yourself at risk by being a pushover.

This is not a Fiverr is evil debate. The issue here is that you have gone out of your way to put yourself in jeopardy personally as well as professionally. Learn from this, be more vigilant when dealing with clients anywhere in future, and move on.

Hey cyaxrex,

thank you, your post points out important things, I do especially like the idea that it’s a self-respect issue.

It’s just the way I am. I trust people, although I do not know them. I do refunds from my private money. If a client asks for using xyz Messenger because he want’s only to chat there, it is a necessity for me because the client want’s it.

Sure, now I know what is acceptable in terms of tos and what is not and work like that further on. But my first feelings like this was a “big, fancy wordlwide marektplace” are gone completely. Now it feels like a very greedy and dictatoric company who treats their clients like authoritarian parents treat their children.

But back to your posting: thank you once again, it’s refreshingly sharp minded and I will definitely do further investigations on the self-respect idea.

Hey cyaxrex,

thank you, your post points out important things, I do especially like the idea that it’s a self-respect issue.

It’s just the way I am. I trust people, although I do not know them. I do refunds from my private money. If a client asks for using xyz Messenger because he want’s only to chat there, it is a necessity for me because the client want’s it.

Sure, now I know what is acceptable in terms of tos and what is not and work like that further on. But my first feelings like this was a “big, fancy wordlwide marektplace” are gone completely. Now it feels like a very greedy and dictatoric company who treats their clients like authoritarian parents treat their children.

But back to your posting: thank you once again, it’s refreshingly sharp minded and I will definitely do further investigations on the self-respect idea.

When you get a midnight knock on the door from your friendly neighborhood organ harvester, let’s just hope that they are as charming.

When you get a midnight knock on the door from your friendly neighborhood organ harvester, let’s just hope that they are as charming.

My neighbor is a carpenter, i know him for 30 years 😅

Maybe he can help you clear some of the trees from in front of that wood you seem to be having a problem seeing. 🙂

I’m not dependend on Fiverr, and I am by no way grateful they did not ban me, why should I, I did nothing wrong. And I do not like the attitude like Fiverr was some higher instance who is right no matter what they do.

And I do not like the attitude like Fiverr was some higher instance who is right no matter what they do.

On Fiverr’s site, it’s Fiverr’s rules. On your own website, you can do whatever you like (unless you do something illegal, I suppose), but Fiverr has the right to have their own rules, and everyone is supposed to follow them, or, if they don’t agree, they shouldn’t use the site.

Here’s another thing you might want to have in mind: by doing what you did, you told your buyers that s***e calls and refunds via PayPal are acceptable, thus creating possible trouble for the other sellers whom these buyers might approach. A buyer might say that so-and-so did it, so it’s perfectly fine, and the unfortunate seller (who also didn’t read the rules) could get banned for it.

Not needed, I am a certified tree surgeon myself 🌳

Not needed, I am a certified tree surgeon myself 🌳

So by day you rip limbs off patients without their consent, and by night you create minimalist logos which you pay people to take off your hands. That’s quite a bold way of looking at customer service. 🙂

And I do not like the attitude like Fiverr was some higher instance who is right no matter what they do.

On Fiverr’s site, it’s Fiverr’s rules. On your own website, you can do whatever you like (unless you do something illegal, I suppose), but Fiverr has the right to have their own rules, and everyone is supposed to follow them, or, if they don’t agree, they shouldn’t use the site.

Here’s another thing you might want to have in mind: by doing what you did, you told your buyers that s***e calls and refunds via PayPal are acceptable, thus creating possible trouble for the other sellers whom these buyers might approach. A buyer might say that so-and-so did it, so it’s perfectly fine, and the unfortunate seller (who also didn’t read the rules) could get banned for it.

you told your buyers that s***e calls and refunds via PayPal are acceptable

I told the buyer that Fiverr wants us to communicate solely on the Fiverr platform. He insisted on another Option. Everything else… please see cyaxrex’s latest post…

you told your buyers that s***e calls and refunds via PayPal are acceptable

I told the buyer that Fiverr wants us to communicate solely on the Fiverr platform. He insisted on another Option. Everything else… please see cyaxrex’s latest post…

I told the buyer that Fiverr wants us to communicate solely on the Fiverr platform. He insisted on another Option.

This is pretty much a sure sign that your buyer was a scammer. Likely, they don’t want to cancel orders on Fiverr directly as Fiverr would flag repeat activity like this as suspicious and ban their account. - Leaving them unable to get free work from other sellers.

See why there are rules in place?

I told the buyer that Fiverr wants us to communicate solely on the Fiverr platform. He insisted on another Option.

This is pretty much a sure sign that your buyer was a scammer. Likely, they don’t want to cancel orders on Fiverr directly as Fiverr would flag repeat activity like this as suspicious and ban their account. - Leaving them unable to get free work from other sellers.

See why there are rules in place?

Hm… from this perspective it makes sense to me.

You are a smart guy cyaxrex.

Hm… from this perspective it makes sense to me.

You could be too if you ate butter for breakfast. Although quark will give the same benefits and is likely in more plentiful supply where you are.

One carton a day and you’ll be brighter than a light bulb.

Archived