Want More Sales? .... No Sir!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit more cultural understanding please! People who write “Sir” they do it because they try to be respectful. This is what they have been taught, this is how they grew up. They have no intention to be rude, they don’t even realize this might be offensive to someone. So don’t be hung up on it, just enjoy their service!

Yes I agree with you. In India and Asian Countries Pakistan and Bangladesh people call their client as Sir, Sir ji for man, Madam, Madam ji for women. In sales It is mandatory to call Sir, madam only to show respect and politeness.

It’s become habit in their communication.

A bit more cultural understanding please! People who write “Sir” they do it because they try to be respectful. This is what they have been taught, this is how they grew up. They have no intention to be rude, they don’t even realize this might be offensive to someone. So don’t be hung up on it, just enjoy their service!

I am agree with you Thank you so much

Well said 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

I got one this morning

“Hey

Can ya do this for me…”

Why certainly I can block you

I got one this morning

“Hey

Can ya do this for me…”

Out of genuine curiosity…

Why would language like that cause you to block someone? One of our highest-spending returning customers uses super relaxed and informal language like this (and emojis galore!). They’re an absolute pleasure to deal with and spend a fortune with us.

I’m genuinely interested. Would you not even reply to see what their next response is like? Or has your experience taught you to see a red flag in this situation?

I got one this morning

“Hey

Can ya do this for me…”

Out of genuine curiosity…

Why would language like that cause you to block someone? One of our highest-spending returning customers uses super relaxed and informal language like this (and emojis galore!). They’re an absolute pleasure to deal with and spend a fortune with us.

I’m genuinely interested. Would you not even reply to see what their next response is like? Or has your experience taught you to see a red flag in this situation?

If I walked up to you in the street and said

'Hey"

You would put up the defensive.

This just tells me the buyer mass requested vo’s before they went to bed. I asked for the word count and now the person is asleep. If you can’t be bothered to use basic accepted greetings to people you don’t know. Or not have the courtesy to respond in good time like I did- Then don’t waste my time… communication is a two way street

• 4 weeks later...

I am not language expert …But i guess “Sir” is not suitable in freelancing environment … It’s more appropriate in situation when someone already hired you and you are committed to be loyal to that person or organization and keep office decorum… Otherwise in informal situations calling someone Sir is outdated … Natives don’t call each other Sir in normal situations except addressee is his BOSS:sunglasses: … Or only those use it more often celebrating their 100th birthday:guardsman:… I am not sure but personally i think … :thinking:This word express more submission rather commitment…🙂.

I did not use sir. I use Dear

I guess Dear i also not appropriate to address someone whom you are going to meet first time in your life … In my opinion … Hi, or Hello, is enough when you are making your first offer … Yes after doing 4-5 project with same client … He can be your Dear or Dearest client:stuck_out_tongue:😜 … I am not being critic it’s just my opinion so please take it positive

I guess Dear i also not appropriate to address someone whom you are going to meet first time in your life … In my opinion … Hi, or Hello, is enough when you are making your first offer … Yes after doing 4-5 project with same client … He can be your Dear or Dearest client:stuck_out_tongue:😜 … I am not being critic it’s just my opinion so please take it positive

Yes after doing 4-5 project with same client … He can be your Dear or Dearest client

If you call him Dear, he might think that you’re flirting with him. Is that the impression you want your repeat client to have about you?

I always use “My Friend”

Whenever random strangers called me “My Friend”, they were trying to sell me stuff I wasn’t interested in, and they tended to be very persistent about it, too.

If a random stranger calls me “friend”, that’s an immediate red flag and, usually, a sign that they’re trying to manipulate me into something. I immediately see them as possibly dishonest, and do my best to stay away from them.

While you are using English for communication … You must understand English culture… If i am not wrong In English culture it’s consider bit strange to be informal straight away…Anyhow In some cultures it’s normal even good to call someone friend, brother, sister or uncle but we must be careful with English… By the way how someone can be your friend you have never met before ? (That’s how most native think)… It’s same as "Love at first sight "🙂

Yes after doing 4-5 project with same client … He can be your Dear or Dearest client

If you call him Dear, he might think that you’re flirting with him. Is that the impression you want your repeat client to have about you?

No not at all … I use Hello! even for those i am working for more than 5 years … or call them by their names!

Guest merciavideo

While you are using English for communication … You must understand English culture… If i am not wrong In English culture it’s consider bit strange to be informal straight away…Anyhow In some cultures it’s normal even good to call someone friend, brother, sister or uncle but we must be careful with English… By the way how someone can be your friend you have never met before ? (That’s how most native think)… It’s same as "Love at first sight "🙂

While you are using English for communication … You must understand English culture

The only way to do that is by actually living in England and experiencing it first hand. Reading a few internet articles about the Premier League or the headlines in the Daily Mail don’t really count, nor indeed do they help. 😉

(That’s how most native think)…

Natives of where? Most people think of themselves as natives of their own country, nowhere else.

Cutting a long story short and paraphrasing @lloydsolutions (with her permission hopefully)

Don’t use ‘sir’, don’t use ‘dear’. 🙂

While you are using English for communication … You must understand English culture

The only way to do that is by actually living in England and experiencing it first hand. Reading a few internet articles about the Premier League or the headlines in the Daily Mail don’t really count, nor indeed do they help. 😉

(That’s how most native think)…

Natives of where? Most people think of themselves as natives of their own country, nowhere else.

Cutting a long story short and paraphrasing @lloydsolutions (with her permission hopefully)

Don’t use ‘sir’, don’t use ‘dear’. 🙂

I agreed it’s not possible to learn English culture even English language without living next door to them … Even those are living there for years but do not share cultural values remain aliens. I like you point…

When i am talking about English … Native means English Native … Hope it is now clear enough …🙂

Yes that’s what i’ve said …Don’t use Sir or Dear … calling them by their name or username is good enough …

By the way i am still understanding English culture i didn’t claim i know everything about it … If you are Native English I hope you would guide me! 😄

Archived