Want More Sales? .... No Sir!

Guest joshcates

I hate it even more when someone sends me a message with ‘Dear Sir/Maam’. I understand they’re trying to be polite, but not only does it come across as wooden, it also makes me think they don’t even look at my profile picture. 🙂

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the fact that we are working with different buyers in the world, buyers and sellers should be able to understand they could encounter something like this due to cultural dissimilitude…I have seen numerous buyers using dear for me though I don’t like it but that’s is not my aim here… I am here to make sales and get them completed as soon as possible… Why do I need to get angry over unnecessary thing… So, no offence when something like this happen… You can as well tell them you don’t like that word but I won’t accept you could lose some sales because of that word…yes, there could be misunderstanding but this won’t call for too much conflict!!

You can as well tell them you don’t like that word but I won’t accept you could lose some sales because of that word

People lost sales because they called the buyer “Sir”, “Madam”, “Dear”… So far, I haven’t heard of someone losing a sale because they called their buyer “Boss”, but I see no reason to risk it.

The word “boss” according to English language shouldn’t be bad to use…

Some people will perceive it as mockery, and feel offended.

Of course, it’s up to you to choose how to address your buyers, and they will respond as they like.

I googled “calling someone boss” and the general consensus was that most people didn’t like it.

If you want to make sales I feel it is best not to use any word that might lose you a sale! 🙂

I googled “calling someone boss” and the general consensus was that most people didn’t like it.

It can sound sarcastic or ridiculing if used across the internet when in a few local areas it is actually a friendly greeting.

You can as well tell them you don’t like that word but I won’t accept you could lose some sales because of that word

People lost sales because they called the buyer “Sir”, “Madam”, “Dear”… So far, I haven’t heard of someone losing a sale because they called their buyer “Boss”, but I see no reason to risk it.

The word “boss” according to English language shouldn’t be bad to use…

Some people will perceive it as mockery, and feel offended.

Of course, it’s up to you to choose how to address your buyers, and they will respond as they like.

If you say I can lose sales because I called my buyer boss then u can as well lose sale for correcting your buyer… Some buyers might find it insultive depending on the way u express yourself…numerous buyers call me dear but I don’t feel concerned since I am able to understand the requirement why do I need to get concern over things that could lose me sales?? I believe fiverr is strictly business…why talk about personal issues that could as well erupt misunderstandings ?? Buyers as well make this kind of mistakes, my point is buyers and sellers should be able to understand they could encounter something like this due to cultural dissimilitude… Period!!!

If you say I can lose sales because I called my buyer boss then u can as well lose sale for correcting your buyer… Some buyers might find it insultive depending on the way u express yourself…numerous buyers call me dear but I don’t feel concerned since I am able to understand the requirement why do I need to get concern over things that could lose me sales?? I believe fiverr is strictly business…why talk about personal issues that could as well erupt misunderstandings ?? Buyers as well make this kind of mistakes, my point is buyers and sellers should be able to understand they could encounter something like this due to cultural dissimilitude… Period!!!

If you say I can lose sales because I called my buyer boss then u can as well lose sale for correcting your buyer…

I never said I corrected my buyers. I’ve never corrected them, even when I found it creepy when they called me “dear”, and even when I found them to be cheapskates who called me “bro” because they wanted a discount and a faster delivery. I just did the job (and refused to give them discounts).

All I said was that it’s possible to lose a sale because you addressed your buyer as “Boss”.

I believe fiverr is strictly business

It is. And if your buyers feel uncomfortable/angry/annoyed because you use a term they don’t like, it’s possible to lose a sale.

Yes sir! That is a great idea sir!

It is amazing how — after the OP wrote an elaborate post saying — using words like Sir is not a good idea, people respond with:

Yes Sir,Good work.this is great idea and very useful

Thanks, for your information, sir…!

No words 😶

It is amazing how — after the OP wrote an elaborate post saying — using words like Sir is not a good idea, people respond with:

No words 😶

Or call people “bro”. Some of those people being women.

Guest joshcates

Or call people “bro”. Some of those people being women.

I’m even a guy, and if a stranger, or worse, a stranger in a business environment calls me ‘bro’, I’m immediately out. Makes me feel nasty. >:(

I’m even a guy, and if a stranger, or worse, a stranger in a business environment calls me ‘bro’, I’m immediately out. Makes me feel nasty. >:(

Regarding calling someone “bro”: I think this can be cultural also. While in some places or countries it has a gangster type feel to it, which is not used in polite society, in other places it might be seen as a friendly greeting. So best to not use it on the internet.

Regarding calling someone “bro”: I think this can be cultural also. While in some places or countries it has a gangster type feel to it, which is not used in polite society, in other places it might be seen as a friendly greeting. So best to not use it on the internet.

Regarding calling someone “bro”: I think this can be cultural also.

I saw Blood Diamond years ago, Leonardo’s character was calling everyone “bruh.” Is that how they speak in South Africa? I’m not sure.

American males say bro, but usually to their friends, although there’s an infamous guy who went viral after yelling “don’t taze me, bro.”

I just use the seller’s name.

"Hi misscrystal,

Here’s your delivery."

If someone has a name like alexjack, I might write “Hi Alex.”

No sir, bro, san, or any honorifics for me.

Regarding calling someone “bro”: I think this can be cultural also.

I saw Blood Diamond years ago, Leonardo’s character was calling everyone “bruh.” Is that how they speak in South Africa? I’m not sure.

American males say bro, but usually to their friends, although there’s an infamous guy who went viral after yelling “don’t taze me, bro.”

I just use the seller’s name.

"Hi misscrystal,

Here’s your delivery."

If someone has a name like alexjack, I might write “Hi Alex.”

No sir, bro, san, or any honorifics for me.

I think bro is morphing into bruh.

I think bro is morphing into bruh.

Could be, everything changes, look at how “sick” has become a positive word.

“That’s a sick house” doesn’t mean “that’s a house under quarantine” anymore.

“Sick” is the new “awesome” or “cool.”

Even the accents change, have you noticed how Millennials sound different from the rest of us?

No words 😶

Yes, sir! That is a great idea, sir!

A bit more cultural understanding please! People who write “Sir” they do it because they try to be respectful. This is what they have been taught, this is how they grew up. They have no intention to be rude, they don’t even realize this might be offensive to someone. So don’t be hung up on it, just enjoy their service!

For sure, but it does deter potential buyers, so it’s very important that sellers know the cultural expectations.

• 1 month later...

I’ve seen many sellers doing this. Even I get requests for designing logos addressing Sir, lol. However, by nature, some sellers used to say Sir or Madam to show their respect towards the person they talk with. But as a seller in Fiverr I haven’t used Sir or Ma’am so far.

Archived