Want More Sales? .... No Sir!

@catwriter Yeah, good catch…guess I just skim through the posts, never completely read them. Happens many times even with my clients. Have to be more attentive.

True story:

One nice client said recently you did a great job and I wanted to tip you but didn’t because I lost my job. Hope you don’t mind.

I said: Haha, no problem, thanks!

Then I read the job loss part.

Then I made a thousand apologies.

Always gets me into trouble.

[Maybe that’s why I am Writer99025 not Reader99025… food for thought]

Good information

Thank you 😊

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That depends. I have a senior, highly placed Indian from the U.S. ordering my articles. I call him Sir. That is considered respectful in our culture.

I call him Sir. That is considered respectful in our culture.

I thought they left in '47. 😃

some buyers react when I called them by their username 🤨

a300ce3b85748aaef775b70ca535d12bf0ec929f.gif

People who want to be called by name usually introduce themselves first. That being said, I have a regular who goes by “Tom” and once I got: “Well, actually, this is his wife”. Oops.

This account-sharing thing is something I have strong feelings about but that’s a talk for another time.

Yes, agreed, there are multiple reasons not to use a username as a greeting. If someone doesn’t introduce themselves by name there is no need to address them by name. Just stick with ‘you’ when you need it. Anything else can make you look unprofessional even if your English is top notch.

but I think we should just use it when we’re 100% sure on the gender

Well, I hate being called Sir or any other things like Bro, Dear, etc., period. 🙂

So I partly agree with what you said, more specifically I would change the “should” to “could” in your above post.

That’s because ‘Should’ could force people to use Sir when the gender is known, which many don’t like being called that (and I don’t want a surge of Sir-calling people in my Inbox because of that ‘should’ 😅 ), whereas “Could” gives the option to use Sir or not use it, preferably the latter 😛

Hahahaha, thanks on the clarification there @woofy31. Yes, I would agree that it should have been could instead of should – I actually wasn’t paying attention to my use of could and should. Hahahaha, I promote no forcing whatsoever!

So many sellers use “Sir” in their gig and profile descriptions as if female buyers did not exist.

“Order now sir” … “Here to help you sir” will alienate many females and they will not buy your gig.

So … drop the “Sir” and watch your sales “Soar”. 🙂

So many sellers use “Sir” in their gig and profile descriptions as if female buyers did not exist.

It’s a surefire way to not mek-sells. :roll_eyes:

It’s annoying as hell. Besides, if they want to mek 💵 money, money is not gender specific, it’s a green smelly paper. 😷

Next time, I’ll ask “Sir would you like some grey poupon with your order?”

GreyPoupon.jpg.1859859bfd5d1be4fafe59b1e7035d02.jpg

when someone say Sir,

doesn’t mean Awkward??

when someone say Sir,

doesn’t mean Awkward??

The point of the topic is using “Sir” in descriptions. Basically, making females feel like the Seller(s) only cater to male clients.

Btw~ It’s very awkward for females to be called sir.

• 3 months later...

Archived